As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Morrowind

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only thing that seriously threw me off about Morrowind - more than any story problem or the relative emptiness of some towns or the wacky character building system - is the music. It's nice, it's well made, but hearing the same upbeat string piece in the final dungeon that was playing in every other city really cut out a lot of tension.

Other than that, Morrowind did a phenomenal job encouraging exploration; it worked best when you were completely alone, scouring some long-forgotten dungeon or forging through a blinding dust storm to reach some isolated village. I'll always remember the first time I slogged through heavy rain and marsh to reach Hla Oad, fighting off random critters and the odd bandit or two. I made it to the town, and then the rain stops. The clouds break, revealing a gorgeous night sky.

I was there for that moment, and from then on.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It would have been nice if you could side with Dagoth Ur, though. I mean, it was set right up for you! Surely somebody must have made a good mod for that by now? Anybody have any links?

Several, in fact, apparently some more role-playish and true-to-lore than others. I've never tried any of them, though. I will someday.

Marty81 on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aw, fuck. I was playing around with a mod, and saved over my main file! It was at day 20, and my last backup was day 11. Fuck.

I didn't lose too much, I guess. Mostly just the Ald'uhn thief quests, and exploring the ruins by Moonmoth, and I'll use the console to get through that stuff (yay for skeleton key generation-- don't worry, I'll toss it in the ocean when I make it back). Still, urg. Have to back up more regularly.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's an Unlock command in the console that might be a little easier and less tempting than spawning skeleton keys.

Sooner or later you're going to want to enchant an amulet of lock splitting.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And there's always the obligatory speedrun, done in 7 minutes:
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited July 2007
    Man, that guy's crazy. Now that I've actually played the game, have an idea of just how insane some of that stuff is. Not very nice what he does to those scroll sellers, huh?

I do need to get better at magic. I learned (shortly before erasing it) that unlocking something with the Open magic doesn't count as a crime, since it's just opening by itself. That knowledge will definitely come in handy.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MonniMonni Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still can't understand why people keep bitching about Morrowind's combat. Almost every goddamn CRPG has the same issue, but you don't hear people complaining about them.

How about:
    "The dude was lying on the ground unconscious... how the hell did my Super-sledgehammer miss him?"
    or
    "I used the Force to paralyze him... How the hell did my 15th level jedi not hit him with the lightsaber"

Morrowind is a pure RPG. You only move your character around, everything else is skill based. Try to figure it out, for fucks sake. And if you keep missing with your weapon, here's a little tip that might help: Never fight when you're tired. Make sure your fatigue bar is filled before you face off your enemy.

Monni on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Monni wrote: »
    I still can't understand why people keep bitching about Morrowind's combat. Almost every goddamn CRPG has the same issue, but you don't hear people complaining about them.

How about:
    "The dude was lying on the ground unconscious... how the hell did my Super-sledgehammer miss him?"
    or
    "I used the Force to paralyze him... How the hell did my 15th level jedi not hit him with the lightsaber"

Morrowind is a pure RPG. You only move your character around, everything else is skill based. Try to figure it out, for fucks sake. And if you keep missing with your weapon, here's a little tip that might help: Never fight when you're tired. Make sure your fatigue bar is filled before you face off your enemy.

Because that's a 'press the attack button and sit back' situation, where all the dice rolls happen behind the scenes vs. a 'I'm'a twitchy!' gotta press the mouse button to attack in real-time type of thing. When people are in control of their own swings, instead of an auto-attack, they take it as a personal affront to their own madskillz that the hits just don't keep on comin'.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I agree with deowolf. I think a much better way is to make any blow aimed right at an enemy hit, but vary in damage based on chance or whatever. I know I get pissed when I shoot an arrow at some guy and it goes right through his chest, doing no damage.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A 100 level open spell is a must for this game even fit eaqts all your mana

nexuscrawler on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone know if that Morrowind overhaul for Oblivion is still being worked on?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2007
    A 100 level open spell is a must for this game even fit eaqts all your mana
    You mean a scroll? I'd agree with that, but the cost of making an open spell for 100 points is prohibitively expensive, at least for now.

Also, I've pretty much made it back to where I was before I screwed myself. I even have more loot! I was able to snag a master's mortar and pestle from the Vivec alchemist you steal the formulas from, and I'll put it to good use soon. Now I'm going to go kill that guy for the Morag Tongs. Not sure how I'm going to do it without causing a shitstorm, though.

I know a cool way to get a free Daedric weapon! At Vivec, head to the top floor of the temple, and enter one of the side rooms. There's a chest with a cursed weapon in it, and just looking at it (which isn't a crime) will trigger a Daedra appearing. Which the guards will then proceed to kill for you. I love taking advantage of NPCs!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2007
    Mods
    One of the things I like most about the game is the ease with which you can mod it. Here's a partial list of my mods, all of which can be found here. To download, you unfortunately have to sign up with fileplanet, sorry about that.

-Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Beasts: Probably my favorite mods so far. They replace all the fugly original character models with sleek new ones. This makes the game look so much nicer, it isn't funny.

-Marksman: Makes long range combat better. Raises the hit rate to a more acceptable level (not acceptable, but closer), and adds badass ranged weapons all over the world. I wanted it as an archer, you might not.

-Morrowind Comes Alive: Adds around a thousand NPCs to the world, some of which can be persuaded to join you on your quest. Some funny ones, too: I met "Eowyn" on the balcony of the Vivec Foreign Quarter. I can't imagine playing without this mod.

-GIANTS: Adds a variety of enemies to the world. Not sure if I've met any yet, they seem to be really strong ones for the later game.

-Animal Realism: Yay for semi-realistic animals! Yes, now wildlife in Vvardenfell mostly obeys "live and let live." If you don't attack them, they won't bother you. Some exceptions, including the *nix-hounds (way too easy to make that joke) and everyone's favorite pterodactyl: the cliff racer. Makes the world a bit less annoying and a bit more realistic.

-Cait's Creatures: Adds farm animals for that extra dose of realism. I'd download the Wilderness mod, which has even more types, but I've heard bad things about the quality of the models. Cait's look ace.

-Where Have All the Birds Gone: Adds birds. Pretty self-explanatory. Adds some more life to the world.

-Water Life: Like Birds, but underwater. I laughed when I noticed a group of Regal Tangs.

-Leveled List Merger: Syncs all of your mods so that their leveled lists (scripts based on your level) are aligned. Just makes extra sure all the mods are compatible.

That's all I got for now. I'm runnning some more, like a couple of werewolf mods for realism and some inventory icon changes, but this list is a good set of mods to totally revitalize the game. Well worth checking out.

OP is updated. Also, does anyone know of a mod that improves the Journal? I really hate going through all those pages. Just a tab for complete and incomplete quests would be fantastic.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a friend who played Morrowind to death. Like, he found some enchanting bug that gave permanent stat boosts even when the item wasn't equiped and became uber powerful. He had a mage character with a jump spell that would take him across several loading screens, and some damage spells that actually crashed the game (on XBox, I don't know if that was a platform specific bug). A couple of his characters killed all the gods and became the most powerful being in existence. He is a crazy mofo thats for sure. I don't know how many hundreds of hours he logged in that game.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    Man, it's getting harder and harder to find people who'll buy my crap at non-extortionately prices. The people who'll give me more than half the value have very specific tastes and not much money, and the ones who'll buy anything will do so for less than a quarter of the value. I need to find a Merchant's guild or something.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Man, it's getting harder and harder to find people who'll buy my crap at non-extortionately prices. The people who'll give me more than half the value have very specific tastes and not much money, and the ones who'll buy anything will do so for less than a quarter of the value. I need to find a Merchant's guild or something.

Well, there are a few secret merchants, but doesn't Morrowind have haggling? Haggle.

yalborap on
    edited August 2007
    Well, sure, but I can't add more than about 5 or so to anything. And the fences won't even give me one more septim a lot of the time. I know I need to improve mercantile, but it's taking a while.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, sure, but I can't add more than about 5 or so to anything. And the fences won't even give me one more septim a lot of the time. I know I need to improve mercantile, but it's taking a while.

It's slows as hell, but be sure to do it everytime you barter.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Eh eventually you'll get to the point where you never really need money (unless you're enchanting an entire suit of armor).

Get rid of that GIANTS crap. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, despite its popularity. Seeing generic fantasy monsters can kinda take away from the unique setting.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
    edited August 2007
    Alright, I got one question: Which guards do I have to blow to get them to help me against the murderous vampires attacking me in the middle of the fuckin' city square?! These assholes (the vampires) seem to have an insatiable thirst for player blood-- NPCs just don't do it for them anymore. Why else would they ignore random commoners and instead attack the guy with actual weapons who could hurt them?

Seriously, the last couple of times I've only survived because their movement is a bit glitchy (they'll often get stuck on the tops of stairs). They suck and make exploration irritating.

On GIANTS: Really, you didn't like it? What sort of creatures does it have? Also, does it just add monsters to the world, or do they replace other monsters?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2007

Fences? I'm pretty sure anyone in MW will buy stolen goods, as long as you don't try to sell something you stole from someone back to the same person you stole it from. There are also only some people who will buy illegal goods like skooma - are those who you're talking about when you say fences?

Marty81 on
    edited August 2007
    By Fences, I mean the people with the name "Fence." They're my last hope for selling stuff when no one else will take it, since they're indiscriminate in what they buy. And they carry a lot of cash, the most I've seen on anyone. But they offer 1/4 the value of stuff, and don't haggle nicely. So, I don't like to sell to them often.

Being a thief in this game is hard, since it's only partly about what you can nick. Even more difficult for me is finding someone who'll buy the stuff, and at a reasonable price.

Also, does that table in the Vivec Mage's guild respawn rings of Called Shot forever? Seems like a serious bug, since they're worth so much.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2007
    By Fences, I mean the people with the name "Fence." They're my last hope for selling stuff when no one else will take it, since they're indiscriminate in what they buy. And they carry a lot of cash, the most I've seen on anyone. But they offer 1/4 the value of stuff, and don't haggle nicely. So, I don't like to sell to them often.

Oh, right. Heh. Sorry, it's been a while :p.

Marty81 on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.....it's time to play Morrowind!!

I've played it before a bunch, but now I have the GOTY edition, and I really want to try to finish the main story of all of it, really wring as much as I can out of this game.

First, however, I'm going to mod it a bit - mainly just minor stuff, like the unofficial patch, and some kind of better bodies mod. But, one of the main things is I want to be able to set the native resolution of my monitor, 1680x1050. I'm looking at this one called the Morrowind Graphics Extender, which I think should be able to do the trick, does anyone have any experience with it?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It is just me, or does the frame rate run fuck awful on the Xbox version? I can barely stand to play it.

Ranx on
    edited September 2007
    But, one of the main things is I want to be able to set the native resolution of my monitor, 1680x1050.

The one you want is the Morrowind Framerate Optimizer.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=utilities.detail&id=22

It lets you change the resolution to whatever you want, and also lets you set your FOV. It's under "Change morrowind registry settings" on the first tab when you launch it.

Marty81 on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love this game so much. So much.

My favourite character ever was like some kind of Morrowindian Jedi. Khajiit, no armour, dirty brown robe, two-handed sword, fiendish ability in Restoration and Alteration. Nothing is more fun than having to bounce all around an Ogrim, avoiding his attacks and striking from the rear, because you know that one or two blows are going to cripple you.

Jeez, I have so many stories about this game. Like how in my first few sessions playing, I followed a random path, that leads to a bridge, that leads to Druscashti, the Dwemer ruin you have to enter as part of the main quest. I didn't know that- I just knew there was an angry old man on that bridge, with a warhammer, an iron cuirass, and the power to summon a skeleton. If I remember right, I ended up running away from him screaming like a little girl, firing from a bow I happened to have in my pack even though I had no Marksman skill whatsoever. He chased me through half of Balmora before the guards took him down.

Or the Pants Of Death. See, I noticed that merchants automatically put on any clothes you sell to them that are of greater quality than what they are wearing. Being fiendish, as I am, I enchanted a pair of Exquisite pants with Constant Effect fire damage.

Then sold 'em to folks.

After some very uncomfortable screams, I looted the pants back off the charred corpse and moved to my next victim.

Ultimately, Morrowind has this sense of style and atmosphere and awesome that Oblivion lacks. Oblivion feels so... generic. Morrowind is all about the dust storms and crazy blue elves and living in giant crab shells and wacky dwarven ruins and steam power and a multitude of conniving factions and a past that nobody tells straight to you and corprus

For my first few weeks playing Morrowind (because my playing of Morrowind could best be measured in years) I was afraid to wander off the beaten path. I step out of the Sewers in Oblivion and think "Damn, it's bright out here. Okay... let's go loot that ruin so I can find a decent weapon."

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited September 2007
    Excellent, I'm now at my native resolution. Time to finally finish this sonofabitch.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    Excellent, I'm now at my native resolution. Time to finally finish this sonofabitch.

Enjoy, it's a fun ride.

Marty81 on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    But, one of the main things is I want to be able to set the native resolution of my monitor, 1680x1050.

The one you want is the Morrowind Framerate Optimizer.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=utilities.detail&id=22

It lets you change the resolution to whatever you want, and also lets you set your FOV. It's under "Change morrowind registry settings" on the first tab when you launch it.

I'll see your Framerate Optimizer and raise you the Morrowind Graphics Extender. Distant Lands? Yes pls.

Hey YesNoMu you're running this, right? Looks like it in your screenshots.

EDIT: Link fixed.

august on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Morrowind is so awesome compared to Oblivion. Once you download the half a billion mods, the graphics really aren't much worse, either.

Only thing keeping me from attempting playing it again, is well, the hassle of finding and downloading all of said mods.

And yes, the story is spectacular, but you really need to read every book you can get your hands on in order to learn it. This game does not present the plot to you on a silver cutscene platter.
    Dagoth-ur really isn't such a bad guy

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dagoth-ur really isn't such a bad guy

Truth.
    I almost wanted to side with him, in the end. Almost.

But I did enjoy murdering all of the Tribunal as justice for what they did. Pompous fuckers.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Love... Dark Sun... Shattered Lands.... so much

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2007

Wait what?

august on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »

Wait what?

Sorry, I was just ejaculating all over Disruptor's avatar and sig.

Sir Carcass on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    most important mod is the no fucking bird monster mod

Barcardi on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »

Dragons were smart to fly off instead of putting up with those douchebags.

Couscous on
    edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »

Oh... are we scared to say....

Cliff Racer?

I used the non-hostile wildlife mod instead. It's pretty sly. They're still there. But you know.

august on
    edited September 2007
    I think I'm just about the only person in the world not annoyed all to hell by the cliff racers.

But then, I played a mage character, so it wasn't a big deal for me to blast them out of the sky.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    I haven't seen a cliffracer since about an hour into my first playthrough when the game first came out and I found the Cliffracer Remover mod.

Sir Carcass on
This discussion has been closed.