As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] I shall call him...Mini Wii.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay Helloween shared this from GAF:
    Wii U CPU: 1.2GHz tri-core Memory: 2 GB Memory bandwidth: 12.8 GB/s GPU core: 550MHz
    Xbox 360 CPU: 3.2GHz tri-core Memory: 512 MB Memory bandwidth: 22.4 GB/s GPU core: 500MHz
    PS3 CPU: 3.2GHz single core + 6 SPUs Memory: 256 MB + 256 MB Memory bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s GPU Core: 550MHz
    Helloween is astute though and adds,
    But bare in mind that you cannot just compare the 3 machines number to number, it doesnt work :)
    There's other things to take into account.

Ok, so we can't judge the WiiU on the performance of the games and we can't judge it based on comparison to other consoles?

I would say you can only judge it on the performance of the games, but the ones currently available still suffer from being ports and launch software and "gotta get it out day one" syndrome.

But otherwise yeah. Obviously you can't use the specs straight up. How in the world could the launch games be comparable to PS3 and 360 with half speed RAM and less than half speed CPU? It's either a massive technical achievement to get a game optimized for 3.2 GHz running at the same quality on 1.2 GHz, or we really can't compare on that basis.

I thought it was previously established that the RAM is a type of gDDR3 with a bandwidth of 17 GBPS? I mean, those specs could be bang-on, but I think those specs are coming from the same guy who claims the machine draws ~33 Watts at full load, when it should be more like ~40 Watts. I'm therefore not entirely sure his diagnostics are flawless.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The fact that THQ is doing this Humble Bundle thing now, with Steam's winter sale less than a month away (and Saints' Row all but guaranteed to be featured as a daily deal, and a few of these other games also having pretty good odds), strongly implies to me that they consider themselves literally weeks away from total destruction without some immediate cash flow. Otherwise they probably would have been better off putting this off until February or something and squeezing a few more dollars out of people who still might be willing to pay for this stuff individually..

I'm also half-surprised that the Humble Bundle people were willing to sell games with DRM, but I guess this would have been a tough opportunity to pass up.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    First person to PM me for the bundle gets the key for the bundle

First person to PM me for Saints Row gets the key for Saints Row

Please specify which you would like

Nobody wants either of these? Wow.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Saint's Row claimed by @sir_pinch-a-loaf

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hah, that was quick.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Bundle claimed by @cloudeagle

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    hehe, I saw that original post like 20 minutes after it went up and assumed it was already gone. Thanks again @SyphonBlue !

• Options
    Well I'll be damned, actual numbers from Sony.
    Sony has revealed that 525,000 PlayStation 3 units were sold in the United States between November 18th and November 24th. “Black Friday bundle sales increased 15%, and total PS3 sales including hardware, software and peripherals, grew 9% over the same period last year,” according to Sony. In Latin America, which isn’t included in the sales figures provided, PlayStation 3 saw a staggering 200% year-over-year growth.

PlayStation Vita also enjoyed great sales in the US during the period ranging from November 18th to November 24th. 160,000 units were sold during that time period. Sony notes that Amazon in particular sold out of “specially priced [Vita] inventory” in under five hours.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/sony-reveals-playstation-3-vita-black-friday-sales

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well I'll be damned, actual numbers from Sony.
    Sony has revealed that 525,000 PlayStation 3 units were sold in the United States between November 18th and November 24th. “Black Friday bundle sales increased 15%, and total PS3 sales including hardware, software and peripherals, grew 9% over the same period last year,” according to Sony. In Latin America, which isn’t included in the sales figures provided, PlayStation 3 saw a staggering 200% year-over-year growth.

PlayStation Vita also enjoyed great sales in the US during the period ranging from November 18th to November 24th. 160,000 units were sold during that time period. Sony notes that Amazon in particular sold out of “specially priced [Vita] inventory” in under five hours.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/sony-reveals-playstation-3-vita-black-friday-sales

They probably just forgot the quotes. Should read "sold" and "sales".

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    160k Vitas, eh? That's pretty good, maybe Sony should connect A to B on this one.

• Options
    160k Vitas, eh? That's pretty good, maybe Sony should connect A to B on this one.

Nah, it couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the price it was selling for.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well it sure may have had something to do with the great PS+ deal they're running too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Well it sure may have had something to do with the great PS+ deal they're running too.

The Amazon sale was well before the PS+ sale.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

The Amazon sale was well before the PS+ sale.

I think he means when they started offering PS+ for Vita with free Vita games, which was earlier in the week I believe.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah. I mean that alone isn't everything but it was a good combo.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    This exactly. AC III bundle and free Vita games for PS+ was too good a deal to pass up.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, too bad they're now doing the opposite with that 300 dollar bundle.

It may be a decent deal (The year of PS+ alone makes up the price) but 300 dollars is still a lot to throw at a Vita for a lot of people, regardless of value proposition.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, too bad they're now doing the opposite with that 300 dollar bundle.

It may be a decent deal (The year of PS+ alone makes up the price) but 300 dollars is still a lot to throw at a Vita for a lot of people, regardless of value proposition.

Especially when they're pretty much forced to buy a better memory card.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wow, that is a good price for all those games. What is the current average you need to hit to get Saints Row?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    $5.30 for Saints Row 3.

How do you buy the bundle though? Does it have to be through the site or will it show up in Steam?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Wow, that is a good price for all those games. What is the current average you need to hit to get Saints Row?

Stats right now
    Total payments: $463,356.35
    Purchases #: 86,760
    Average purchase: $5.34

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    $5.30 for Saints Row 3.

How do you buy the bundle though? Does it have to be through the site or will it show up in Steam?

Previous HIBs they emailed you a Steam redemption code for the lot (so you can't part out games you own to gift others)

This one though, no email showed up for me. I had to register an account on the HIB site and then the code showed up in that account.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Stats right now

half a mil already

damn

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    $5.30 for Saints Row 3.

Previous HIBs they emailed you a Steam redemption code for the lot (so you can't part out games you own to gift others)

This one though, no email showed up for me. I had to register an account on the HIB site and then the code showed up in that account.

That is too much trouble for me, even if I can get shit for a dollar.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    You pay less than average and you get 1 code for all the games except for Saint's Row.

If you pay above average you get 1 code for all the games except Saint's Row and another separate code for Saint's Row.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

Stats right now

half a mil already

damn

I know right? With 13 days to go! I hope people are not being too stingy towards THQ though. Bought a bundle for my brother for Xmas with all the proceeds going to THQ, and another bundle tha I gave away on the forums using the default money dispersal option.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Well, this is certainly a cultural milestone: the Museum of Modern Art in New York is putting together a permanent exhibit on interactive design in video games.
    Antonelli went on to write that not only are video games art, “but they are also design, and a design approach is what we chose for this new foray into this universe.” The video games selected will fit in with the museum's already extensive collection of interactive design highlighting “one of the most important and oft-discussed expressions of contemporary design creativity.”

The 14 titles already in the permanent exhibit are Pac-Man, Tetris, Another World, Myst, SimCity 2000, vib-ribbon, The Sims, Katamari Damacy, EVE Online, Dwarf Fortress, Portal, flOw, Passage, and Canabalt. There are also plans to add 26 additional games to its collection, including Spacewar!, Pong, Snake, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, M.U.L.E., Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter II, Chrono Trigger, Animal Crossing, and Minecraft. (At least MoMA has better taste than Time.) “Because of the tight filter we apply to any category of objects in MoMA's collection, our selection does not include some immensely popular video games that might have seemed like no-brainers to video game historians," wrote Antonelli.

The video games were chosen using four main criteria: The behavior designers prompt from the players, aesthetics, time spent in the game, and space, which is described as “an architecture that is planned, designed, and constructed according to a precise program, sometimes pushing technology to its limits in order to create brand new degrees of expressive and spatial freedom.”

MoMa's acquisition comes on the heels of the Smithsonian American Art Museum's six-month exhibit on “The Art of Video Games,” which included a few of the titles acquired by MoMa.

The display of the fist 14 video games will be ready in March 2013. MoMa will either create videos or “interactive experiences” or, if the game is short enough, allow patrons to play them in their entirety. So maybe arcades aren’t entirely a thing of the past—we’ll just have to visit museums to see them.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/11/29/moma_acquires_14_video_games_including_tetris_simcity_2000_and_more_for.html

Not to get into discussions of lists or anything, but that's a damned fine list of arty and interesting video games. If you're interested in their approach and methodology, go here:

http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters/

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Heh heh. Dwarf Fortress. If anything belongs on that list, it's DF.

• Options
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-humble-thq-bundle-loses-indie-games-adds-drm-and-is-a-step-backward-for

I don't even know what to say about this.... somehow this humble bundle is evil because it's Steam-only and not indie? What? /boggle

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-humble-thq-bundle-loses-indie-games-adds-drm-and-is-a-step-backward-for

I don't even know what to say about this.... somehow this humble bundle is evil because it's Steam-only and not indie? What? /boggle

Are humble bundles required to be Indie games only or something?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It was obviously bundles and not the price cut that increased sales from pathetic to OK!

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Sounds like the writer has something against Steam specifically too. If I own a game for the PC it's either Blizzard made or on Steam. I want Steam for all of my HIB games, and it sounds like ~$500,000 agree with me.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I bought 3 packs (all above average) and gave the money to THQ.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, this is certainly a cultural milestone: the Museum of Modern Art in New York is putting together a permanent exhibit on interactive design in video games.
    Antonelli went on to write that not only are video games art, “but they are also design, and a design approach is what we chose for this new foray into this universe.” The video games selected will fit in with the museum's already extensive collection of interactive design highlighting “one of the most important and oft-discussed expressions of contemporary design creativity.”

The 14 titles already in the permanent exhibit are Pac-Man, Tetris, Another World, Myst, SimCity 2000, vib-ribbon, The Sims, Katamari Damacy, EVE Online, Dwarf Fortress, Portal, flOw, Passage, and Canabalt. There are also plans to add 26 additional games to its collection, including Spacewar!, Pong, Snake, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, M.U.L.E., Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter II, Chrono Trigger, Animal Crossing, and Minecraft. (At least MoMA has better taste than Time.) “Because of the tight filter we apply to any category of objects in MoMA's collection, our selection does not include some immensely popular video games that might have seemed like no-brainers to video game historians," wrote Antonelli.

The video games were chosen using four main criteria: The behavior designers prompt from the players, aesthetics, time spent in the game, and space, which is described as “an architecture that is planned, designed, and constructed according to a precise program, sometimes pushing technology to its limits in order to create brand new degrees of expressive and spatial freedom.”

MoMa's acquisition comes on the heels of the Smithsonian American Art Museum's six-month exhibit on “The Art of Video Games,” which included a few of the titles acquired by MoMa.

The display of the fist 14 video games will be ready in March 2013. MoMa will either create videos or “interactive experiences” or, if the game is short enough, allow patrons to play them in their entirety. So maybe arcades aren’t entirely a thing of the past—we’ll just have to visit museums to see them.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/11/29/moma_acquires_14_video_games_including_tetris_simcity_2000_and_more_for.html

Not to get into discussions of lists or anything, but that's a damned fine list of arty and interesting video games. If you're interested in their approach and methodology, go here:

http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters/

That is the most thought-provoking list of video games I've seen ever. The initial 14 I mean. Well fucking done MOMA.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

I don't see why they would. It sounds to me like one of those "evil big corporate mega-games are evil and indie games are pure and good and the best thing ever" arguments.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Ew... a little bit disappoint in Kuchera on that one. I like how he seems to take issue with this bundle, but says he's still going to buy it anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh. I don't think I've ever disagreed with something Kuchera's written before. Dude generally seems to know what's up. His distaste for this bundle is perplexing.

Also dunno if any Vita doomsayers have mentioned yet;

The EU release schedule is
    12/07 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    02/22 Persona 4 Golden

Meanwhile in Japan
    11/29 Aabs Animals
    Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua]
    Power Smash 4 (Sega the Best)
    Samurai & Dragons
    Totori no Atelier Plus: Arland
    12/05 NAX Music Player
    12/13 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013
    12/20 AKB1/149: Love Election
    Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
    Spy Hunter
    Suugaku Rikiou: Shokyuu Naka-1-
    Suugaku Rikiou: Shokyuu Naka-2-
    Suugaku Rikiou: Shokyuu Naka-3-
    01/17 WRC 3
    01/24 Demon Gaze
    Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece
    NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindan
    NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindan
    Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo
    01/31 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That's how I feel about the 3DS here too. So many good games on the 3DS in Japan... But the US? We have a few.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Kuchera often writes interesting stuff but I think there should be a 24 hour pause before his articles get posted so he can decide if he really wants to say some of these things after a good nights rest.

Also the average indie dev is probably in a better financial situation than THQ.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I don't see why they would. It sounds to me like one of those "evil big corporate mega-games are evil and indie games are pure and good and the best thing ever" arguments.

It feels like there's something ironic about taking a stance against corporations and talking about "damaging a brand" in the same breath.

liEt3nH.png