Playtest of Chaos
a D&D Next playtest using the Caves of Chaos adventure
Did you know that Wizards of the Coast is currently conducting a public playtest of the next edition of D&D? Did you know that your fellow forumers have spent over 100 pages talking about it (and things tangentially related to it)? Did you know that I make fun of it a lot, and I think it's probably going to be terrible when it's finished?
If the answer to any of those was a coherent response that displayed even basic reading comprehension, then have I got a PbP thread for you!
So yeah, I've decided to go ahead and run a PbP playtest of the 5E rules, using the 11/13/2012 packet to start with. You can get the packet here
if you need to download it. I'm looking to run this with a five person party, but I'm not going to do the usual kind of recruitment process. Here's how this is going to work:
- If you want to play, !signup.
- If you want to use one of the pregens, indicate which one you want to use in your signup post.
- If you want to create your own character, please do. Just figure out a way to make your character sheet available to me that doesn't involve me giving you an email address. Dropbox or Google Drive are both easy solutions.
- I will take the first five people with finished characters as the starting party, and the rest will go onto a waiting list.
- If you die and your party can't afford and/or cast a Raise Dead spell, you're out of the party and the next person on the list will take your place. Feel free to !signup again to put yourself back on the list.
- If you stop posting, your character will die and/or leave and you will be replaced by the next person on the list. If you come back to the forums after recovering from whatever horrific thing kept you from posting, you can put yourself back on the list.
Although I have thoroughly and repeatedly mocked the playtest rules, I am going to make a genuine effort to make this game work. I'll be picking and choosing optional rules to exercise this great modular flexibility that 5E is supposedly going to have, but I am going to do so in a manner that is not intentionally antagonistic to the game (if such a thing is possible).
For character creation, all optional rules are enabled or whatever. Post questions and sign up in this thread.