As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    exis wrote: »
    Damn, lost 2 rolls tonight on my T4 shoulders. Oh well, at least my sister's alliance hunter alt who's been 70 for literally less than 24 hours got them (her alt's first epic, lol).

Sounds like your guild is awesome. Sure wish I could roll against alts for loot.

Not a true alt. It's her main (and only real) alliance char. Her true main is a 70 Tauren druid.

And looking back on it, we all decided we probably shoulda made her pass as she's new to 70 and all, but with HK being on farm, we weren't too worried about it.

Well is she raiding with you or not? I would define an alt as a character that somebody plays less than their main. If she's rerolled and is playing in your guild now, it's not really an alt. If she hasn't rerolled, and just happened to hit 70 on her alt and was invited to a 25 man for some reason, and allowed to roll on loot, then my point stands.

exis on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    well presumably as far as they know, it's her main being as her "real" main is opposite faction. he knows because it's his sister.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    well presumably as far as they know, it's her main being as her "real" main is opposite faction. he knows because it's his sister.

So she's playing an alt enough to convince a guild that this is actually her main? I would argue that once somebody is playing a character to the point where they can regularly make raids, that character can't really be considered an alt. If she's not playing regularly, then the guild is stupid for giving some random person loot because they happen to be online at the time.

exis on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like an awesome guild. Get you and your sister to cash out pronto.

The_Scarab on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    End wrote: »
    Also: I put up shadow ward right before I start channeling. Hardly necessary, but it's nice to absorb a little damage on your own.

I never thought of that, good call.

Dyscord wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long you keep him banished, but we probably don't do it for more than a couple seconds.

We keep him banished the entire time if possible. There's always at least one, usually two healers assigned to spot healing the channelers. If someone breaks early they get bitched at unless they were about to die from channeling damage.

riz on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So Im out in STV and just finishing up that zone. What a goddam hellhole but man, what a refreshing change of pace coming from Rogue to Warlock for that place (simultaneously drain tanking 3 tigers while voidwalker takes a further 2) and Im up on this island:

stvroute1.jpg

at the island marked eleven.

Im doing that quest where you summon that water elemental and dispatch him. Not too hard, especially at hes only lv 37 and the mobs around there are of similar level.

So this Drenei shaman comes wandering up, hes 2 levels higher than me and instantly opens with a shock and totally jumps right in (I was drinking and didnt even have demon summoned after the fight)

So I fear him and then throw down a swim speed potion and motor away like a fucking speedboat (first time I used swim speed potion really surprised me lol) and he gives chase. So I swim directly north west to the zul gurub hub island, jojamba or whatever, and it the water breathing and go deep to the ocean floor. He follows!

Im on about half hp at this point and nearly no mana and no pet so I just keep swimming. He keeps following. Eventually we are in the middle of fucking nowhere and both of us starting to take fatigue.

Eventually he swims to the surface and does whatever shaman skill lets you water walk (I think its water walking) and catches up. he dives down and shocks me and I die. Then he dies literally a second later from the damage of my dot.

then he uses self res, and does a /spit and a /lol and at this point we had circled round back into the shallower stuff not taking fatigue. I pop my soulstone and fear and mana drain him, then load up the dots (agony, corruption, siphon and then a drain life) and he dies. So then I swim back to shore and get back to grom gol and am waiting in there for a friend to whisk us off to SM for a quick cathedral run. And this fucking shaman comes running into grom gol and shocks me, then gets raped by the guards. And Im there, waiting for like 5 minutes and he rezzes, shocks and dies. Did he honestly think he could gank me quick enough to kill me before theguards got him? Does he not know affliction warlocks at my level have about a billion hp and are absolutely impossible to gank?

It was funny but also annoying cause the last time he put me out of the meeting stone summon thing cause i was in combat.

The_Scarab on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Level 20 blood elf warlock here. I just wrapped up Ghostlands, where should I go to quest next?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    Level 20 blood elf warlock here. I just wrapped up Ghostlands, where should I go to quest next?

there are a few options

you can go to silverpine forest then to hillsbrad, or you can go finish up southern barrens and then hit up ashenvale/stonetalon

when in doubt, there is a handy map for you

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited August 2007
    I'd personally like to stay the fuck out of hillsbrad, considering the one time I did run through the zone I was killed about five times by 70s. Plus Ashenvale is just so pretty! Southern Barrens it is, then.

That map is nifty!

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd personally like to stay the fuck out of hillsbrad, considering the one time I did run through the zone I was killed about five times by 70s. Plus Ashenvale is just so pretty! Southern Barrens it is, then.

That map is nifty!

yeah, I only level in hillsbrad when I really feel like hitting my penis with a hammer. Try and get a wailing cavern/razor fen down run in sometime too, they're both long but pretty neat instances

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited August 2007
    I seem to be missing something. I ran all around camp Taurajo (sp) and I could only find one quest, which led to Steelsnap in TB. Are the quests in the camp, or spread out around?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote:
    I'm not sure how long you keep him banished, but we probably don't do it for more than a couple seconds.

We keep him banished the entire time if possible. There's always at least one, usually two healers assigned to spot healing the channelers. If someone breaks early they get bitched at unless they were about to die from channeling damage.

Like, for the entire fight?

I've actually wondered in the past if anyone did it this way. I assume that if you wanted to, you could have five people stacked with shadow resist getting heals, and have the rest of the raid DPS, and never have him unbanished? Or does that not work for some reason?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote:

I've actually wondered in the past if anyone did it this way. I assume that if you wanted to, you could have five people stacked with shadow resist getting heals, and have the rest of the raid DPS, and never have him unbanished? Or does that not work for some reason?

I didn't think the channel lasted that long.

exis on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It would be impossible to keep it up the entire time. It's 8 seconds max, with a 90 second cooldown per person.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heh, shows you how much attention I'm paying. I usually just go until I see the emote and then it's 'amg it hurts get it off me.' I never looked at how long the cast actually lasts.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm really trying to play a shaman alt and this damn thread keeps forcing me to think about a lock.

I played them both before, and damn it locks are so much fun.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I suck at PVP on my warlock and I need a good spec for it. I'm trying Felguard right now but I don't find it very good. My total kills is only 3000 from AV back in the day so it's easy to tell I haven't PVP'd much. I mainly need an arena spec with some survivability.

_X_ on
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote:

What? No, I mean for the duration it allows. Like you can click the cube and then move immediately, just using it to interrupt Blast Nova, or you can hold the channel, keep him banished for ten seconds or whatever, and the rest of your raid continues to DPS with him weakened.

riz on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    _X_ wrote: »
    I suck at PVP on my warlock and I need a good spec for it. I'm trying Felguard right now but I don't find it very good. My total kills is only 3000 from AV back in the day so it's easy to tell I haven't PVP'd much. I mainly need an arena spec with some survivability.

I hear succubus is good. Apparently they can fear people or some shit then you nuke 'em to death. I don't know mine is only lvl 8.

JJ on
  • ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was a 11/0/50 spec destruction lock for my last six levels to 70, all the 5-man outland content, and a lot of my guild's kara progression. Personally I found it a lot like what I imagine being a fire mage to be like only with DoTs and an amped CoD for boss fights.

Compared to a DoT/SB lock you're quite a bit more flexable. If the mob is immune to shadow you use fire. If they're immune to fire you use shadow. If you have to run around you can still deal good (not excellent, just good) damage with your dots.

Finally you still have the typical 'lock "unlimited mana" thing going for you tied to ruin crits assuming you have a good crit rating (it really is a must...)

Honestly, it's like running succy-sac build with more theme and less gimic.

Also, I don't know why people skip Shadowfury. It's an awesome spell.

Arandmoor on
  • Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn, lost 2 rolls tonight on my T4 shoulders. Oh well, at least my sister's alliance hunter alt who's been 70 for literally less than 24 hours got them (her alt's first epic, lol).

Sounds like your guild is awesome. Sure wish I could roll against alts for loot.

Not a true alt. It's her main (and only real) alliance char. Her true main is a 70 Tauren druid.

And looking back on it, we all decided we probably shoulda made her pass as she's new to 70 and all, but with HK being on farm, we weren't too worried about it.

Well is she raiding with you or not? I would define an alt as a character that somebody plays less than their main. If she's rerolled and is playing in your guild now, it's not really an alt. If she hasn't rerolled, and just happened to hit 70 on her alt and was invited to a 25 man for some reason, and allowed to roll on loot, then my point stands.

She plays both, but from what I hear will be playing her alliance more than her horde, so yeah, I guess she rerolled.

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's impossible to keep him banished the entire fight. You need five people to channel to banish him, and I think the channel is what, 10 seconds? When you banish, it puts a 90 second debuff on you so that you can't banish again until the debuff goes away. Using your entire raid, and assuming my numbers are correct and for some reason your tank can help too, you'd only fill 50 seconds of each minute (and each minute he does a blastwave)

(Hmm...)

We only channel to stop the blastwave, although extending it might be worth considering...

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    It's not really a question IMO. Unless you had a bunch of healers die so that you can't spare the spot healing on cube-clickers. You get extra DPS from keeping him banished for the full duration of the channeling, and there's really no benefit to breaking it early. The only time we break early is if someone started channeling at low health, in which case they're wrong anyway.

riz on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote: »
    It's not really a question IMO. Unless you had a bunch of healers die so that you can't spare the spot healing on cube-clickers. You get extra DPS from keeping him banished for the full duration of the channeling, and there's really no benefit to breaking it early. The only time we break early is if someone started channeling at low health, in which case they're wrong anyway.

We tend to be low on healers, unfortunately. However, we -should- have enough healers after phase 1.

It's definitely worth checking out.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When is it appropriate to replace frozen shadoweave pieces? I'm getting the sense that mages use spellfire longer than warlocks use shadoweave. Confirm/deny?

silence1186 on
  • terminal stupidityterminal stupidity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I seem to be missing something. I ran all around camp Taurajo (sp) and I could only find one quest, which led to Steelsnap in TB. Are the quests in the camp, or spread out around?

They're grey to you, then. You should move on to Stonetalon/Ashenvale/Hillsbrad.

Though be sure to check with the tauren who wanders the southern Barrens road and look in the Crossroads.

Also, you've done ALL of the quests in Ghostlands, right? As a warlock you can solo the whole thing, even the Recommended Players [3] quests.

terminal stupidity on
    edited August 2007
    When is it appropriate to replace frozen shadoweave pieces? I'm getting the sense that mages use spellfire longer than warlocks use shadoweave. Confirm/deny?

Hard to say. I've was randomly looking around at some of the high end guilds can came across a Warlock with the FS set and some T6.

However, the spell hit and 4 set bonus on the T4 may make me have to break the set bonus for raiding. I'll still use it for grinding (healing FTW), but it's a tough choice.

Viper007Bond on
    edited August 2007
    Most people I've seen seem to consider T5 slightly better than the FS set.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2007
    End wrote: »
    riz wrote: »

We tend to be low on healers, unfortunately. However, we -should- have enough healers after phase 1.

It's definitely worth checking out.

If you have enough healers to heal through phase 1, you have enough to heal through banishes.

exis on
    edited August 2007

Hard to say. I've was randomly looking around at some of the high end guilds can came across a Warlock with the FS set and some T6.

However, the spell hit and 4 set bonus on the T4 may make me have to break the set bonus for raiding. I'll still use it for grinding (healing FTW), but it's a tough choice.

I don't really pay much attention to loot that I don't use. But if the lock T4 is of similar calibre to other classes, the set bonus would need to be something like "summons another warlock" for it to be worth wearing four pieces.

exis on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I just started to roll a warlock alt. I was looking for a good farming class that does well in PvP and PvE without having to constantly respec into both, and it looks like Warlock fits the bill. I originally wanted to roll a hunter or possibly rogue, but my warlock-friend convinces me otherwise.

I have a 70 priest as my main, and I know warlocks also can use the excellent shadoweave set, but I really don't want to go through the horrible grind that is tailoring. Do you guys think i should still pick it up, or go for two cash-making professions (mining/skinning). I already have tailoring on my priest, but that set is really good. Do you think the tradeoff for more money and stuff with the farming jobs is worth giving up the awesome, and relatively easy (read: don't have to raid 5 nights/week) to get Shadoweave set?

thanks.

eric. on
    edited August 2007
    eric. wrote: »
    Well, I just started to roll a warlock alt. I was looking for a good farming class that does well in PvP and PvE without having to constantly respec into both, and it looks like Warlock fits the bill. I originally wanted to roll a hunter or possibly rogue, but my warlock-friend convinces me otherwise.

I have a 70 priest as my main, and I know warlocks also can use the excellent shadoweave set, but I really don't want to go through the horrible grind that is tailoring. Do you guys think i should still pick it up, or go for two cash-making professions (mining/skinning). I already have tailoring on my priest, but that set is really good. Do you think the tradeoff for more money and stuff with the farming jobs is worth giving up the awesome, and relatively easy (read: don't have to raid 5 nights/week) to get Shadoweave set?

thanks.

Level up with gathering professions. Then switch to tailoring when you hit 66 or so, powerlevel it in a night, and start making shadowcloth. Should have enough to get a couple of pieces of your set by the time you hit 70.

exis on
    edited August 2007
    Skinning sucks (I had it for the longest time and then dropped it for enchanting). Go mining / herb. Free pots from your Alch friends when you get your herb up.

Viper007Bond on
    edited August 2007

I don't really pay much attention to loot that I don't use. But if the lock T4 is of similar calibre to other classes, the set bonus would need to be something like "summons another warlock" for it to be worth wearing four pieces.

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=645
    * 2 pieces: Your fire damage spells have a chance to grant you 135 bonus fire damage for 15 sec.
    * 2 pieces: Your shadow damage spells have a chance to grant you 135 bonus shadow damage for 15 sec.
    * 4 pieces: Increases the duration of your Corruption and Immolate abilities by 3 sec.

The 2 set bonus is f'ing awesome (around a 5% proc rate I've read) and the 4 set adds around an extra 700 damage for corruption for free.

I'm currently running 2 set T4, and 3 set (all of it) of FS. Seems to work pretty well and after getting the wand off Shade tonight (+hit FTW), I think I'll stick to this as I can get to 168 hit I think / 1082 shadow / 17% crit with the Scyer Bloodgem equipped. Not capped, but 13% seems to be enough.

Hell, I did Gruul with only around 10% hit and got 2 resists out of 49 shadow bolts IIRC.

Viper007Bond on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eric. wrote: »

thanks.

Tailoring is pretty critical for casters. The sets are incredible. I'd echo the take two gathering professions as you level sentiment, but it'd be a mistake to not take tailoring when you hit 70.

silence1186 on
  • TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Level up with gathering professions, then switch to Tailoring. This guide is good for power levelling tailoring.

Tophobii on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I'm really starting to feel to pull to return to WoW and my level 43 Warlock, maybe this time I might get a character up to level 60 before pewtering out..

Silpheed on
    edited August 2007
    Tophobii wrote: »
    Level up with gathering professions, then switch to Tailoring. This guide is good for power levelling tailoring.

I'd advise buying Netherweave you see for cheap now. I wish I had thought ahead a little more. On both my characters with tailoring I simply went to the AH and bought the cheapest stacks of Netherweave up. Unfortunately, this meant buying dozens of stacks for 7 gold on my priest, when I could have got them for half that if I had bought them two weeks earlier.

exis on
  • emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1-70, powerleveling (meaning no instances, all quests or possibly dual boxing) as an UD Lock: how many hours played do you think it'll take - assuming no rested xp? I already have a 70 lock alliance side, but want to fill a gap in my horde guild.

As a sidenote, I actually really want a belf warlock (for the style) but i know their racials are pretty useless.

emperorsargosa on
  • _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Without rest it will probably take close to 12 days played to get to 70. With rest probably 9-10.

Edit: Also, not instancing will take alot longer then getting a 70 to run you through an instance quickly. With my priest I got something like 2 levels while rested from 2 RFD runs.

_X_ on