As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, November 30, 2012 - Mindcraft

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    sadfacesadface Registered User new member
    Ooh, got a little gut wrench out of that one.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    D'aww 8->

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    sadface wrote: »

Indeed. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Why is everything making me feel old these days?

Oh yeah, it's because I'm getting older.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Ugh, my heart just shattered and broke into little pieces all over the floor.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    God damn I wish I had not been inebriated while reading this fuuuuck.

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    I dare say I've been inflicted with the ailment commonly known as "the feels."

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Dammit, I am at work and this comic literally brought a tear to my eye - luckly the office is near enough empty and no one overlooks my desk.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Urg... dammit guys...

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    The wang with a face lessens the impact.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's a Creeper

82344530.png

And this comic is one of the sads. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gabe Tweeted yesterday that this comic was going to be especially great. Looks like he was right.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Shoulda never had a kid. Can't grow up if its never born!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    This was a really moving comic. Just, wow.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    webbywebby Registered User new member
    That last panel. That is where I am right now. Four kids under 10 years old. Love that they are exploring, growing, and learning new things every day. But I desperately wish I could just keep them the way they are. The world is wonderful, but the world can be cruel. Thanks for this one guys.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Want those jammies.

Hop'n'bop over to my bed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    yep, tearing up at work. first xkcd, then this. dang.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Ouch, right in the parent.

Very nice comic.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm going to go hug my nine-month-old daughter now

/cry

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Not having a child, nor any interest whatsoever in said life change, I didn't really get what you guys are getting. Parental safety PSA hoooo!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I fear the day I'll have to say these same things to my children.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I've got a seven year old...this brought a tear to my eye.

• Options
    Danno81Danno81 Registered User regular
    I have a 15 month old son, always relentlessly happy and always exploring his world with fascination and delight, never in danger or fear (other than the usual toddler head-butting doorframes and the like). This comic really caught me out and made me realise what I now fear the most. That my son will grow up and find the world and the people in it harsh and aggressive and that the world will strip him of his joy and love. In reality he has to learn some of the good and the bad that this world can deliver, anything else is too unbalanced. But to know that my sons smile has failed at any point in his life will twist my organs and tear them right out of my body. Amazing that the last frame in this comic managed to bring all of that home to me!

Oh yes, and I had to pretend that I had sleepy eyes in work when I read it, rather than have everyone tell me to man up. If there are any witches that need the ‘tears of worried parents’ for any spells, line up!

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    This comic makes me think about how far Mike and Jerry and their alter egos have come from being two geeks sharing an apartment together working crappy jobs. I and many others have been reading them almost every step of the way.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Not having a child, nor any interest whatsoever in said life change, I didn't really get what you guys are getting.

The innocence and trusting nature of a child is amazing, and their complete reliance on you as a parent to protect them from the big wide world... hell you ARE their world. As they grow they may become more "street-wise" and savvy, but the loose their charming innocence.

I would imagine most (if not all) parents here have watched their child sleep and just thought "I love you" and not wanted that bond to change.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Such a good strip.. I've had this conversation with all three of mine (12, 14, and 16 now), and I know the feeling exactly.

spool32 on
  • Options
    SG LukeSG Luke Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Fantastic work. I have a daughter that just turned 3 and another player inbound. I don't look forward to this time, but I know it'll come.

SG Luke on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I have no kids, but teaching them to be safe on the internet is one of the scariest challenges in my mind for when I do. Our generation grew up without the internet and then suddenly it was everywhere; I can't go to my parents and ask "how did you teach me about the internet?"

Third panel really hits hard. Amazing work, all around.

• Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    sadface wrote: »

Yeah. :(

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Really sweet comic.

I also like his Web Comics MVP trophy.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I have a 10 year-old that's played on the SE++ Minecraft server for about a year. We have really strict rules about when he can be on (only when I'm on), and we've had pretty much the conversation in the comic. Fortunately, the SE++ MC server is full of utterly awesome people that go out of their way to keep things age-appropriate when he's around.

There's no turning back the clock, there isn't even holding the clock back. We are at the tail end of his childhood, and there will - too soon - be a day when he doesn't want me to tuck him in anymore, when he won't tell me, "I love you, Daddy," every day. But, God willing, if we don't screw him up completely, that affection won't actually leave. What we do together may change, the niceties will change, but that love and affection will still be there.

Besides, he has to keep being nice to me if he wants to go to PAX ever again. ;-)

EDIT: Oh, and it goes without saying, but great comic today.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Love the comic and it's a subject that I've been thinking a lot about lately.

My daughter is about to turn 4, so this hits close to home as well, but I try to look at this in a more positive manner. The fact that world is filled with all sorts people, good or bad, has never changed and parents have always had to deal with this reality. What we can take heart in is the fact that little Gabe is getting a lot of guidance from someone who knows about what actually does happen and can happen on the internet. The PA parents community will probably prepare our children better to deal with cyberspace then most. Just have to talk to our kids and equip them the best we can to be aware and avoid the things that can happen on the vile intertubes.

Now, the fact that we know what does happen and can happen on the internet is probably the reason we are so freaked out when we realize that our kids will at some point, probably sooner than we'd like, become part of that "community". There's no avoiding that though.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    redfenix wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »
    yep, tearing up at work. first xkcd, then this. dang.

Same here. Read XKCD, got a bit choked up, then came here for teh funnyes and got gut-checked again instead. Terrific comic. My two little girls are 2 1/2 and 2 months, so not in Gabe's shoes yet but it definitely hit home.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'd say this is rather appropriate to the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4Y0TxW41g

Plus I'll take any excuse to post Tom Waits.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Today's XKCD is sad too? I wonder what it's....ffffuuuuuu :(

At least it's a happy ending.

• Options
    Bill_PeschelBill_Peschel Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Not having a child, nor any interest whatsoever in said life change, I didn't really get what you guys are getting.

The innocence and trusting nature of a child is amazing, and their complete reliance on you as a parent to protect them from the big wide world... hell you ARE their world. As they grow they may become more "street-wise" and savvy, but the loose their charming innocence.

I would imagine most (if not all) parents here have watched their child sleep and just thought "I love you" and not wanted that bond to change.

Darkewolfe, I didn't either. I grew up the youngest of four, and the next oldest was six years older than me. So I didn't know what the hell I was getting into when we started having kids.

What I didn't know was that, if you have any emotional connection with your child, that you are no longer strong and self-reliant. If you care about your child, you're going to be worried about the cat sleeping on their face, about them falling out of the crib, putting shit in their mouths.

Dying.

When the daughter climbed the school bus to kindergarten, I worried even more for awhile. She was the smallest in her class. She didn't go to pre-school. She had no idea what was going to happen. (Fortunately, she may be a princess, but she's Hulk as well. Princess Hulk.)

When the daughter hit 15, I worried about boys. The son's 13 and so calm and self-assured that it's scary. My dad died when I was 15, and it fuqued me over for decades (no grief counseling back in the '70s), so I got to worry about dropping on them when I reached dad's age.

All of this sounds incredibly self-centered, and it is. But also I love them so goddamn much. I love seeing the world through their eyes. I love what they're creating. I love what they say and how they argue and fight (even when it enrages and hurts me). I tell them this as well, to reassure them that I'm here for them, and that some day they'll move on and (I hope) keep in touch.

For those of us who connect to our kids -- not a given thing -- it lets you experience life at its most basic level.

Yeah, between this and XKCD, it's been one of those days.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    No...agh. My daughter is 2 months old...and I dread this moment.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm not denying the emotion you guys have. It seems powerful and sincere; I simply don't feel it and can't establish that connection with this comic. It's a very alien comic to me.

I lack whatever instinct it is to make a child and be responsible for it, though. I don't see why you'd even want to. My fiancee and I got a dog and we can barely muster up enough caregiver empathy to get by there.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Danno81Danno81 Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm not denying the emotion you guys have. It seems powerful and sincere; I simply don't feel it and can't establish that connection with this comic. It's a very alien comic to me.

I lack whatever instinct it is to make a child and be responsible for it, though. I don't see why you'd even want to. My fiancee and I got a dog and we can barely muster up enough caregiver empathy to get by there.

If it makes a difference, I love my son more than anything in the universe, but our cat can go to hell!

• Options
    DystopiqDystopiq Maester of Waffles ChicagoRegistered User new member
    edited November 2012
    Goddamnit, who keeps leaving this damn bowl of onion here.Watermelon-red-onion.jpg

Dystopiq on