As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    Hey, so, I never played GW 1. And I am getting that MMO itch. And I am about to be wrapping up the semester, giving me plenty of free time.

So, should I be playing this? That OP looks excellent. Is the game as excellent as the OP? Is the open world combat actually a thing that works? DaoC was probably my fav MMO of all time, and the idea of three servers going at it makes me excited. In my pants. But Warhammer broke my heart and so I am still bitter and suspicious. Will GW 2 break my heart?

It's not really "open world," it's its own enormous series of instances that you can enter at any time after you complete the tutorial (10 minutes).

GW2 sort of broke my heart because it's not more like GW1, but to be fair, I didn't love GW1 that much until it had years of improvements, which ANet is quite good about.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    What is our server match-up looking like after the reset?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    the same

a month of these two assbut servers. a month.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hey, so, I never played GW 1. And I am getting that MMO itch. And I am about to be wrapping up the semester, giving me plenty of free time.

So, should I be playing this? That OP looks excellent. Is the game as excellent as the OP? Is the open world combat actually a thing that works? DaoC was probably my fav MMO of all time, and the idea of three servers going at it makes me excited. In my pants. But Warhammer broke my heart and so I am still bitter and suspicious. Will GW 2 break my heart?

It's great and now is a good time to jump in because holiday festivities are right around the corner!

As for Wuvwuv... I do believe I am in tonight. I was gonna grind fractals like a mad man then I remembered that wuv is fun and if we have a group together I'm totally in.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Keep half an eye on ecto prices. If spidy is anything to go on, their value is beginning to trend down.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »

It's not really "open world," it's its own enormous series of instances that you can enter at any time after you complete the tutorial (10 minutes).

GW2 sort of broke my heart because it's not more like GW1, but to be fair, I didn't love GW1 that much until it had years of improvements, which ANet is quite good about.

I have no doubts in my mind that this will shape up into an amazing game. GW1 became something that was near and dear to my heart but it took a while to get there. I think GW2 will be the same, it's just not there yet.

This isn't a slam on the game. I enjoy it. I just can't put the time and energy into it that I could with GW1 and not get bored or listless. I know this will change it's just a matter of when. The fractals are a glimmer of a good future though and I haven't even ran one yet.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    WUVWUV IS NOT JUST ABOUT GOLD AND KARMA.

IT IS ABOUT THE JOY OF MURDERING OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON WITH YOU.

THE COMMONALITY IS THE SERVER THEY RESIDE ON IN GUILD WARS 2.

SEEMS REASONABLE FOR COMMISSION OF MURDER.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    Keep half an eye on ecto prices. If spidy is anything to go on, their value is beginning to trend down.

10s ectos incoming!

• Options
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    WUVWUV IS NOT JUST ABOUT GOLD AND KARMA.

IT IS ABOUT THE JOY OF MURDERING OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON WITH YOU.

THE COMMONALITY IS THE SERVER THEY RESIDE ON IN GUILD WARS 2.

SEEMS REASONABLE FOR COMMISSION OF MURDER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5-fTb5cek

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I'm sure he'll be around. He's been running with ULTD lately, being PART OF THE PROBLEM! ;)

Actually they told me I don't have enough PVP experience to join them. Apparently more than a decade playing PVP MMOs just doesn't cut it for them.

But ya, their interview thing threw up BIG red warning signs for me that made the game sound like a job and just general poopsocking all around. They are still cool to roll around with, but joining them seems pointless. They let anyone hop in their TS and play with them... so I really fail to see any reason someone would join them if you can still get the same benefit of doing WvW with them, but without the elitist "hardcore PVP" nonsense that they are pushing.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll be around. He's been running with ULTD lately, being PART OF THE PROBLEM! ;)

Actually they told me I don't have enough PVP experience to join them. Apparently more than a decade playing PVP MMOs just doesn't cut it for them.

But ya, their interview thing threw up BIG red warning signs for me that made the game sound like a job and just general poopsocking all around. They are still cool to roll around with, but joining them seems pointless. They let anyone hop in their TS and play with them... so I really fail to see any reason someone would join them if you can still get the same benefit of doing WvW with them, but without the elitist "hardcore PVP" nonsense that they are pushing.

Didn't realize you had to interview to join them. They seemed like decent wvwers who just happen to thrive in the current meta. I've seen large numbers of them get absolutely trounced in even number fights. I think the most fun I had in WvW was about a month ago when you, me @Dysprosius and @Anon_the_felon had a four man kill squad doing general roaming.

Roaming is fun, camp flipping/defending is oodles of fun, taking and defending keeps/towers is lots of fun. I only don't like taking towers and abandoning them immediately to be reflipped. Part of the fun to me is making the other team have to work to retake something. Like when we set up siege at the northern most supply camp and they need 2/3 times our numbers to push us out.

Some wvw theory crafting just for fun: Let's say we have 20 people with 10 supply each for a total of 200. If this group can quickly flip a tower before significant reinforcements come, that leaves 120 supply assuming they only used 2 rams to take it (I think rams are 40 supply each?). With 120 supply you can build a combination of 4 defensive weapons like arrow carts and ballistas. 20 players, defending from the walls, with 3 arrow carts and a ballista can hold out for a VERY long time and be very very annoying. You get pretty decent rewards for a successful defense.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

True over the last 2 hours, I'm curious what the weekend will bring. Several times over the past month, they move up in price and demand on Sundays. Demand seems to remain pretty constant right now while supply has increased, which might explain the trend you noticed.

Day on day, they are still moving up, so I guess I'll probably wait it out a little more, see if they hit 40-41, then sell at that time.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Hmm, I am feeling convinced. Last questions to seal the deal.

My gf is starting to get in to gaming and wants to play an MMO. Is this a good one to introduce her to? Since we will want to play together, do we need to roll similar races or plan accordingly in some other fashion? I know we have delicious side kicking, which seems absolutely ideal. Is the game very demanding of the PC? Hers is a bit old, though I may just get her a new one for Christmas.

I heard a lot of good about how GW1 evolved, and knowing how powerful a first MMO can be on a new gamer, it would be good if the game she gets hooked too is one that continues to be good.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Didn't realize you had to interview to join them. They seemed like decent wvwers who just happen to thrive in the current meta. I've seen large numbers of them get absolutely trounced in even number fights. I think the most fun I had in WvW was about a month ago when you, me @Dysprosius and @Anon_the_felon had a four man kill squad doing general roaming.

Roaming is fun, camp flipping/defending is oodles of fun, taking and defending keeps/towers is lots of fun. I only don't like taking towers and abandoning them immediately to be reflipped. Part of the fun to me is making the other team have to work to retake something. Like when we set up siege at the northern most supply camp and they need 2/3 times our numbers to push us out.

Some wvw theory crafting just for fun: Let's say we have 20 people with 10 supply each for a total of 200. If this group can quickly flip a tower before significant reinforcements come, that leaves 120 supply assuming they only used 2 rams to take it (I think rams are 40 supply each?). With 120 supply you can build a combination of 4 defensive weapons like arrow carts and ballistas. 20 players, defending from the walls, with 3 arrow carts and a ballista can hold out for a VERY long time and be very very annoying. You get pretty decent rewards for a successful defense.

Ideally, leaving siege behind along with 3 people would help you maintain a hold on a tower for a while, you're right. I guess it depends how much we want to hold onto things, and if the 20 man zerg is ok with leaving a few people behind.

One thing, for those who choose to defend, repairing walls/gates while the event "Defend this place!" is up, will usually get you a bronze for 10 supply used. So if you don't mind the numbing task of repairing walls from enemy trebbing, you'll get an event award every 3-5 minutes (I forget how long this "event" is up for).

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular

Except, of course, for loot. The comparable time spent doing literally anything else in the game except idling or spending money will get you more loot. That's a little bit of the reason I stopped doing most wuvwuv.

Personally I would start with spawning a chest when an objective is taken. The size and loot drop quality would improve with the importance (exos/ascended in keep chests).

• Options
    edited November 2012

My gf is starting to get in to gaming and wants to play an MMO. Is this a good one to introduce her to? Since we will want to play together, do we need to roll similar races or plan accordingly in some other fashion? I know we have delicious side kicking, which seems absolutely ideal. Is the game very demanding of the PC? Hers is a bit old, though I may just get her a new one for Christmas.

I heard a lot of good about how GW1 evolved, and knowing how powerful a first MMO can be on a new gamer, it would be good if the game she gets hooked too is one that continues to be good.

This is an excellent game for couples to play, imo. It's very group friendly, you can't steal eachother's kills or crafting materials nodes, players help out, and a lot of things that might be a bit tough for 1 player become easy and fun with two. There's no need to fret about someone outlevelling the other person because you get your level scaled down to the zone you're in.

Edit: oh and you don't need to play the same race if you don't want to. If one of you makes a Charr, and the other an asura, you can just head on over to the Asura level 1-15 zone and level together there. You'll have to travel back and forth to complete your personal story quests though.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Nope you can meet up from level zero in any starter zone and if you out pace her you are auto downleveled to the zone you are both in. its a very nice system.

The general ease of the gw2 questing system and its method of making you want to explore will break other MMOs for her. :D

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

Except, of course, for loot. The comparable time spent doing literally anything else in the game except idling or spending money will get you more loot. That's a little bit of the reason I stopped doing most wuvwuv.

Personally I would start with spawning a chest when an objective is taken. The size and loot drop quality would improve with the importance (exos/ascended in keep chests).

Having reward tokens popped into your inventory for successful defense would be fantastic. Chests for objective taking would only encourage more circle zerging and even less defending.

I get decent loot defending if it's a successful defense. Anyone who dies has the loot teleported to your feet up on the walls. And if you can 'break' the assault and head out, you can get a lot of baggies farming the attackers as they retreat to regroup.

• Options

This is my GFs first MMO as well. She loves it. Due to fast travel you can pick whatever race you want and easily move to wherever the other person is and play together.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular

WAR spawned such chests. When they implemented them it basically killed open world pvp because no one would defend anything and just wanted to trade undefended keeps for chests.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Excellent! You are classy folks for your quick responses! I will pick this up today and get it installed. She's coming by this weekend so will test it out on her laptop and take it from there!

I look forward to Wuvwuving you all in the near future.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Yup, you have to interview, get votes to be a permanent member, etc.
    They are good at WvW, but after being in their TS for a few days.... they take the fun out of the game.

They still are pretty limited in tactics though. Portal bomb, everyone push a direction at once, and drop siege quick and organized. Oh they also have a decent tactics for clearing walls.

But like I said they made the game sound like work, halfway though the interview I sorta decided it was not for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Vorpal wrote: »

WAR spawned such chests. When they implemented them it basically killed open world pvp because no one would defend anything and just wanted to trade undefended keeps for chests.

I think what they should consider is have weekly WvW achievements based upon what server you completed them on (so server jumping for the win does you no good). I also think it would be good if the quality of items you got from the chest, was based upon how you did that week in the rankings. This could be a way to get more people into WvW at least for a day or two to get the achievement, but it also gives you a reason to keep fighting. I mean, they could have it so you get badges based upon how you ranked, and the other item(s) you get are based upon what place you got that week in the match. Maybe third place means something like 10 badges, 2 blueprints, 10s and a green item. Second place could be 20 badges, 2 blueprints, 30s and a rare item while first place could be 30 badges, 2 blueprints, 50s and an exotic item.

• Options

They are good at WvW, but after being in their TS for a few days.... they take the fun out of the game.

They still are pretty limited in tactics though. Portal bomb, everyone push a direction at once, and drop siege quick and organized. Oh they also have a decent tactics for clearing walls.

But like I said they made the game sound like work, halfway though the interview I sorta decided it was not for me.

This reminds me of the old EQ days. My roommate joined one of the top raiding guilds on our server and got me in there too. It was like a second job. You had to be a part of X raids per week in order to be eligible for the big ones on the weekends or whenever. They would only allow so many of each class, so I was technically competing against other paladins for a spot on certain raids, etc. Raids earned you points, so to be able to get that weapon, I needed to have and spend points on it. It's possible that someone's alt gets it over my main. I mean, it made sense when I was single, in college and passing my classes. That kind of thing today? Really not possible nor feasible. It wasn't usually fun either. I would get access to equipment that like, 0.1% of the players had access to and as soon as I got something, I'd be looking for the next big item I could get that was even better. It became a lot less fun as time went on.

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »

This reminds me of the old EQ days. My roommate joined one of the top raiding guilds on our server and got me in there too. It was like a second job. You had to be a part of X raids per week in order to be eligible for the big ones on the weekends or whenever. They would only allow so many of each class, so I was technically competing against other paladins for a spot on certain raids, etc. Raids earned you points, so to be able to get that weapon, I needed to have and spend points on it. It's possible that someone's alt gets it over my main. I mean, it made sense when I was single, in college and passing my classes. That kind of thing today? Really not possible nor feasible. It wasn't usually fun either. I would get access to equipment that like, 0.1% of the players had access to and as soon as I got something, I'd be looking for the next big item I could get that was even better. It became a lot less fun as time went on.

this is why i could never raid. this right here.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Ardor wrote: »

Ya I've done the same thing for PVE in other MMOs. Its not fun.

What I find dumb in this situation is this is WvW. You want more people, there is no limited to certain classes. Obviously the big zerg guilds like GODS are bad too as they are just a mindless mass with bad leadership. But in ULTD's case, they have way to much elitism for their cause. They do a great job of murdering the mindless TC zerg. But anytime an organized group gets wind of their attacks, they stand no chance because they lack numbers horribly.

Basically, when I did the interview and they asked about my organized pvp experiences, they were looking for shit like "WoW arena score" "ranked BG teams"... stuff like that. Even though I've done plenty of that in WoW, I wasn't going to rant about it like most probably do. Instead I mentioned similar PVP experiences to WvW like Lineage 2, Darkfall, DAOC, etc. The dude acted like he knew about those things, but he gave absolutely no feedback or any specific questions about it. So by that he said "you lack the PVP experience we are looking for". But by that point I had already decided they were only going to make the game work for me.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    are we not wvwvwing enough to please you that you seek out others?

• Options

This reminds me of one of my favourite events in WvW. Happened maybe 2-3 weeks ago. We were running with a smallish group, I can't remember if you were there or not. We took the central-eastern supply camp and set up trebs and started bombing Hills from there. Somehow we got the outer wall down before any sort of defense arrived to fight us. We ran through the breach but by then even numbers had begun to defend against us. So myself and @REG_Rysk managed to sneak in through the hole in the wall and sweep the walls taking out ALL of their siege weapons (including one annoying treb) before being caught.

Over the next 45 minutes we set up our own trebs at the south east supply camp and took down the gates (previously we couldn't do this because they had their own defensive treb hitting any siege we'd set up). Eventually this led to the taking of Hills that night. Man that was a fun night!

• Options
    The problem that WAR and GW2 have, that DAOC did not have, is that there is no real special RvR only progression. Instead RvR rewards you with things you can get other ways: gold, exp, karma, and loot. yes badges are wuvwuv only but you use them to buy gear, which you can get anywhere.

In DAOC, the primary reason to RvR was to get realm ranks,which got you realm points, which got you new abilities and skills. You ONLY got realm points by killing the enemy, so when you went out to rvr, you went out there to kill bad guys, end of story. Taking empty keeps was only done if you were going to take their relic, which just let you kill the enemy even better.

You might take a keep right next to the enemy spawn to tempt them to come out and fight you, but there was never a case of two zergs circling the map taking undefended objectives because such a thing was completely pointless - where were no rewards for taking a keep. You took a keep to have the keep, not because it gave you gold or silver or experience.

In WAR and GW2, the best benefits are achieved by avoiding enemy players and taking undefended stuff. Rewards need to be moved from fighting NPC's to fighting players, and the rewards need to be something that is RvR specific. Not just another form of currency to buy gear with (as there are faaaaaaar more efficient ways to buy gear than RvR). The DAOC realm rank system was very good as it did a good job of capturing your interest and making you feel that you were making progress in wuvwuv and it wasn't just all 'more of the same'. Like, RvR after you bought purge was amazing to before you had purge, and so on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The problem that WAR and GW2 have, that DAOC did not have, is that there is no real special RvR only progression. Instead RvR rewards you with things you can get other ways: gold, exp, karma, and loot. yes badges are wuvwuv only but you use them to buy gear, which you can get anywhere.

In DAOC, the primary reason to RvR was to get realm ranks,which got you realm points, which got you new abilities and skills. You ONLY got realm points by killing the enemy, so when you went out to rvr, you went out there to kill bad guys, end of story. Taking empty keeps was only done if you were going to take their relic, which just let you kill the enemy even better.

You might take a keep right next to the enemy spawn to tempt them to come out and fight you, but there was never a case of two zergs circling the map taking undefended objectives because such a thing was completely pointless - where were no rewards for taking a keep. You took a keep to have the keep, not because it gave you gold or silver or experience.

In WAR and GW2, the best benefits are achieved by avoiding enemy players and taking undefended stuff. Rewards need to be moved from fighting NPC's to fighting players, and the rewards need to be something that is RvR specific. Not just another form of currency to buy gear with (as there are faaaaaaar more efficient ways to buy gear than RvR). The DAOC realm rank system was very good as it did a good job of capturing your interest and making you feel that you were making progress in wuvwuv and it wasn't just all 'more of the same'. Like, RvR after you bought purge was amazing to before you had purge, and so on.

It would be neat if they had a way to progress through ranks, which would earn you titles (across the account) and certain ranks would give you access to buy special looking karma gear.

• Options

A good point. They already have it so badges can only be earned through killing players or doing jump puzzles, they should probably start adding things only available in WvW, thus, to get them faster, you need to kill enemy players, not take towers, camps and keeps.

Technically, they have the power/toughness/vitality gear, maybe they should consider putting some skins only available with badges for weapons/armor or something.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This is why I like guilds that just have simple nightlies. They set the same time every night where people gather for an event, and they group whoever shows up and do one event or the other depending on what day it is, or whatever is popular with the group.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The power/toughness/vitality gear is not exciting. Anyway you can get the armor in Orr, so you're just left with the accessories from WuvWuv. And in between tri force amulets and karka shells and what not, you can fill several of your slots with power/vit/tough gear in any case. And you can get power/tough/vit masterworks/rares I believe. It's just the exotics that come only from wuvwuv.

But the main thing is that having wuvwuv specific GEAR is just not that exciting as you can get gear a million different places and usually far more efficiently than wuvwuv. It doesn't matter if I can only buy a specific piece in wuvwuv I can probably get a just as good piece (or identical if we look at mixing and matching sets) anywhere else.

The way DAOC realm ranks worked was that each realm rank gave you a point. And you could use these points to get stat upgrades, similar to gear, OR to buy passive effects not present on gear OR to buy new active abilities unavailable anywhere else. new abilities is a lot more exciting than wuvwuv being yet another way of getting gear. And these abilities were usually extremely powerful.

I realize this might break GW2's design philosophy somewhat, but it worked out quite well, IMO.

As far as badges go, they need the non pvp badges (jumping puzzle) as long as badges are a requirement to get a legendary.

Despite pvp'ing a lot, the vast bulk of my badges have come from jumping puzzles because your rvr currency dropping ON THE GROUND BEHIND YOU is the worst idea ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    There are lots of things they can add to wuvwuv, I'm just not so sure we'll get them any time soon

• Options
    edited November 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Its not your job to WvW in order to "please me". Just like how I'm bored of fractals, so I no longer do them to please you.

NICE is all about doing what you want for fun. We have very few people doing WvW, so I might find a WvW focused guild if that's what I find fun. Can be in multiple guilds anyway.

Personally, I still feel the lower tiers would be much more enjoyable. Having to go join stricter WvW guilds just to have enough people to play with is not fun at all. Which is why I sorta said fuck it halfway through their interview. They also mentioned you can't be in multiple guilds, which was also a no for me.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    WAR at least did have RvR progression.

GW2 also has tried very hard to have high end PvE, PvP, and open PvP, WAR and DaoC didn't have near so much high end PvE or pvp.

• Options
    edited November 2012

Its not your job to WvW in order to "please me". Just like how I'm bored of fractals, so I no longer do them to please you.

NICE is all about doing what you want for fun. We have very few people doing WvW, so I might find a WvW focused guild if that's what I find fun. Can be in multiple guilds anyway.

Personally, I still feel the lower tiers would be much more enjoyable. Having to go join stricter WvW guilds just to have enough people to play with is not fun at all. Which is why I sorta said fuck it halfway through their interview. They also mentioned you can't be in multiple guilds, which was also a no for me.

100% believe this. Im all ascended out and don't care for the fractal weapons so.... may be done with that for a bit too- at least super grinding it.

Wuvs was and is best on the occasional friday big show and the murder unit small squad days.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    @Badwrong YOU THINK YOU CAN TWO TIME US?

PREORDER CANCELLED

DEAL WITH IT

• Options
    edited November 2012

PREORDER CANCELLED

DEAL WITH IT

We got fat and lazy. we didn't appreciate him anymore or make him waffles or clean the kitchen or dress up anymore. We practically told him, "go get some side."

its partially our fault.

mojojoeo on
  • Options

PREORDER CANCELLED

DEAL WITH IT

We got fat and lazy. we didn't appreciate him anymore or make him waffles or clean the kitchen or dress up anymore. We practically told him, "go get some side."

its partially our fault.

You let him die in WuvWuv.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.