As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder / 3.5 / D&D] Advice on an out of control Wizard (I use that term loosely)

YygdrasilYygdrasil Tree of AwesomeBostonRegistered User regular
Hey guys! Let me start by saying that I've been lurking on these forums for years and finally decided to register today (woo!)

I DM a Pathfinder compaign via a combination of Triapse OpenRPG and Skype with some friends of mine across the world. In the party, I have 2 Rogues, a Fighter, a Cleric and a Wizard. The thorn in my side is the Wizard.

I've never in all my years of DMing been the type to let my personal feelings toward the game dictate the way one of my players chooses to run their character. That being said, the Wizard in my group has yet to actually act like a wizard in any way shape or form. Instead, he's launched all of his feats and skills into some kind of rail gun. He wields a Heavy Crossbow and keeps Gravity Bow almost perminently cast on himself (his bow). His refusal to expend any of his other spells per day is nothing short of aggrivating.

I was excited to see that someone in my group actually wanted to play as a Wizard in the first place... so you can immagine my frustration when it turns out he wanted to play something so strange.

I can't deny that his choices have been effective. His damage is higher and more consistant than anyone else in the party.

That being said, I want him to be a Wizard... not a sniper rifle.

I've found myself daydreaming about having a Cave Troll rip his right arm from it's socket and leave him incapable of wielding the crossbow at all.

Instead, I appeal to the masses here to give me a different (perminent) option to prevent him from ever using his current tactic that doesn't involve severing an apendage.

Ideas?

mtdew-1.jpg

• PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Well, at the end of the day, what you want him to be doesn't really matter. Why would someone go to the time and effort of playing the character you want them to play? Is not the entire point of D&D to build yourself a character?

That being said, why not just throw enemies at this group designed to make him do more than shoot the crossbow? Find you something with some Dodge-like perks and crazy high reflex saves. Then again, I don't know anything about the Pathfinder part, so maybe you can't?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Question: Is he actually breaking the game? It's quite obvious he's min/maxing and has come up with a build idea he thinks maximizes damage, but whether he is breaking the game or not is important.

If he's not breaking the game, then I think you should leave it alone. I know it's not how you wanted the character played, but part of DM'ing is the give and take with the players. This is the character he wants to play, and while it's not your ideal wizard, if the campaign is flowing and things are moving, then I would let it slide.

If he's actually breaking the game with the build, then the best course of action is to talk to the player about it. Perhaps you guys can come to a compromise, perhaps with an in house rule that somehow curbs his power curve. Or perhaps once he realizes the character is causing game breaking issues, he'll be more pliable in terms of toning it back a bit.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Well, at the end of the day, what you want him to be doesn't really matter. Why would someone go to the time and effort of playing the character you want them to play? Is not the entire point of D&D to build yourself a character?

That being said, why not just throw enemies at this group designed to make him do more than shoot the crossbow? Find you something with some Dodge-like perks and crazy high reflex saves. Then again, I don't know anything about the Pathfinder part, so maybe you can't?

Pathfinder is just D&D 3.5 with some minor tweaks and a different setting, it's based on the D20 open rules system.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is he actually disrupting or negatively effecting your game, or do you just want to ruin a player's fun because he's not following your definition of an arbitrary class label?

• ChaoticmuseChaoticmuse Registered User regular
    I have to agree with the others, it is his character and how he wants to play. That said, one trick ponies are annoying. I wouldn't CRUSH the char, but if you want to challenge him to vary it some? look at what tactics he uses, how much the group is KNOWN, and how to oppose. If everyone knows he's a great shot... invest in Blink. dimension door. Get up close, disarm or sunder. Put pressure on him, turn up the heat. but if you do...then give him times to make AWESOME shots. He deserves to have his character concept shine, even if you challenge it to grow and mature.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

This is what my husband does. You can do whatever the hell you want, make whatever you can dream of in a character, but you will encounter things you can't beat conventionally. You can look into creatures that are immune to physical damage. You can throw things at them that only a wizard with developed powers can tackle.. things like treasure boxes with complicated magic locks or doors to complete missions that you can't get into without casting an nth-level spell. Make him use it or the party misses stuff. You're the DM, you can do whatever you want. But I will point out here that he IS a wizard.. it's just that it's a concept character that only casts one spell because he's figured out that he doesn't need anything else. Make him want to cast other things.

The moral of the story, though, is that you need to be willing to set limits on what people can make in the first place, which stifles a lot of creativity and roleplaying opportunities, or you need to accept that your players aren't going to do what you want them to pretty much ever, and if you want to see a wizard in play as a wizard you'll need to hand over the reins for a game and play one yourself.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If it's a high magic world, and his character is getting a reputation, people who know about him could start bringing cloaks made out of displacer beast hides or whatever, so that ranged combatants suffer a penalty to hit.

You're the DM, so you are allowed to bend the rules to your whim somewhat--put in skeletons or fleshy undead that are damage resistant vs. piercing/slashing weapons (skeletons), or piercing/blunt weapons (zombies, flesh golems).

Or just some dude in a magic suit of armor that repels conventional missiles.

You don't have to play in a completely fair way, especially if somebody has balled themselves up into a min/max machine to exploit the book definitions of how things work. If you can figure out a reasonable way to stop his build from being "optimal" he'll stop playing like that.

Edit: Oh, but if he's not breaking the game, maybe you could just talk to him about his character--maybe if his problem is just that he doesn't fit in with the local greybeard wizarding associations, he could start his own in-game guild of arcane snipers. That's cool, and makes him fit in better with the world, and makes him feel like he's legitimately affecting the world on a grand scale.

CowShark on
  • YygdrasilYygdrasil Tree of Awesome BostonRegistered User regular
    Ehh, all I needed was to hear someone tell me "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'm satisfied now.

On a related note: There is one thing he is doing wrong that I have to find a creative way to rectify. To date, he has been responsible for killing 2 party members, one perminently. The first was an intentional attack on a party member that was meant as a smackonthebackofthehead... but ended up crit'ing and killing him where he stood. That player was leaving the game anyway, so I used it as a creative out for him. The second incident was more recently. Picture a 4x5 room with a 5 foot hallway to the east that stretches 30 feet. roughly 20ft down the hallway is a Goblin Sorcerer who was attempting to kill the party from the confines of the narrow hall. One of my Rogues stepped into the doorway and drew his bow to fire at the Goblin. Our wizard (awesome as ever) stepped DIRECTLY behind him and announced his intention to also fire his crossbow at the goblin. I warned him as he announced this... that should he critically fail this shot, he would instead fire the bolt directly into the back of the Rogue's head instead. He accepted this risk with the words "I'm ok with that". Our Rogue was at 27hp. His first roll was a nautual 1, his second... a 3. The party roared in laughter and I told him to roll for the damage. Now mind you, Gravity bow was cast and he has bolts that add 1d3 fire damage. In addition, he now has 2 attacks per round and Quick Reload. You see where this is going. In order to outright kill our Rogue, he would have needed to roll 37 damage... where the max he is capable of dealing with his current setup was 39. What were the odds?

(We did the math afterword. The odds were roughly 0.08%)

From the POV of the rest of the party, it looked as if he marched up behind our rogue and fired POINT BLANK into the back of his head. His reaction afterwords lacked remorse and he cried "bullshit" for the next hour or so. Fact of the matter is, I set terms understanding the HIGHLY IMPROBABLE outcome of him killing our rogue and he accepted the risk.

Now he doesn't understand why the party hates/distrusts/conspires against him. He's been taking this pretty personally out of character as well... not quite understanding the difference between in and out of character.

Due to his lack or remorse for his actions, I'm considering altering his alignment to the Evil spectrum. In addition, our LG Cleric's lack of reasonable reaction to what looked like blatent murder followed by casual indifference makes me want to alter his Alignment as well to one of Neutral Good (keeping within the cusp of his Diety's alignment spectrum and not stripping him of his Class).

Thoughts?

mtdew-1.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Honestly after you just added that it sounds like he needs a "time out" side quest or something as punishment to get his priorities in check because he isn't playing well with the group at all in or out of character. If he can't deal with that as a consequence, then you should look for a new player.

are YOU on the beer list?
    I'm just curious as to why you rolled both of his attacks at the same time.

In a situation like that, it might've been better to slow things down, resolve the first critical failure, and then let the player decide if he wants to reload and try again, instead of having him fire twice and find that he'd shot the Rogue twice before resolving the damage. If I'd been either of the players, I would've been torqued.

These are all good ideas. Keep them coming.

Displacer Beast Cloaks I liked. Undead Hoards are also a good option.

Tonight's session will involve a sizable Cave troll who can only remain dead if killed with Fire or Acid. I'm trying to fiorce him to actually cast a damn spell and learn that there's more to being a wizard than Gravity bow *facepalm*.

mtdew-1.jpg
    edited November 2012
    I disagree, he wanted to wantonly fire twice, I would have had him roll both at the same time. If for no other reason than to use it as a teaching moment about thinking about things before you do them. He made it perfectly clear he didn't care about the risk of shooting his own party mate before he took the first shot.

Sounds to me like he's been playing too many MMO's and wants to be the glory hound who puts out phat deeps and gets the phat lewtz. His entire action and communication history, as far as it's described to us, screams "doesn't play nice with others".

GnomeTank on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    He killed a PC (by accident while trying to do something else) and showed no remorse. TWICE. He is AT BEST neutral-neutral, possibly chaotic neutral, and at worst neutral-evil. When determining the character's alignment, you have to take into account the intent of the character which in one case wasn't to KILL him, and in the other case wasn't to kill HIM.

As well as inserting some realism into his play, changing his character's alignment to evil may actually be enough to appease your group as well. He needs to see consequences for his roleplay choices, but as far as your group is concerned your players WILL eventually start to get antsy if his decisions continually wreck their shit with no negative consequence to the character whatsoever.

CowShark wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to why you rolled both of his attacks at the same time.

His choice. He rolled them together as he always does.

Our Rogue did complain about it but I'm not going to bend the rules to retroactively allow him to choose wether or not he opts to use both of his rolls AFTER they've been rolled.

mtdew-1.jpg
    It's not like firing into a melee where things go all wrong as soon as you miss.

"It's a 1 in 20 chance, bro!

I will help you kill this goblin sorceror, and then you'll thank me."

To his credit, the Rogue took it on the chin like a champ after a quick "really? really dude? Both?".

After his body hit the stone like a sack of rocks, his immediate reaction was:

"I'll brb guys, I'm getting a beer and re-rolling a Paladin"

The Wizard is my complainer. Everyone else rolls with the punches.

mtdew-1.jpg
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I disagree, he wanted to wantonly fire twice, I would have had him roll both at the same time. If for no other reason than to use it as a teaching moment about thinking about things before you do them. He made it perfectly clear he didn't care about the risk of shooting his own party mate before he took the first shot.

Sounds to me like he's been playing too many MMO's and wants to be the glory hound who puts out phat deeps and gets the phat lewtz. His entire action and communication history, as far as it's described to us, screams "doesn't play nice with others".

Nail on the head.

mtdew-1.jpg
    Oh no. The Accidental Team Killer is the whiny one? That's just poor.

I'd wager Rogue is rerolling Paladin to roleplay up some trouble for this guy. You may want to keep an eye out for that.

ceres wrote: »
    He killed a PC (by accident while trying to do something else) and showed no remorse. TWICE. He is AT BEST neutral-neutral, possibly chaotic neutral, and at worst neutral-evil. When determining the character's alignment, you have to take into account the intent of the character which in one case wasn't to KILL him, and in the other case wasn't to kill HIM.

As well as inserting some realism into his play, changing his character's alignment to evil may actually be enough to appease your group as well. He needs to see consequences for his roleplay choices, but as far as your group is concerned your players WILL eventually start to get antsy if his decisions continually wreck their shit with no negative consequence to the character whatsoever.

I agree... and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to break his arm... but rather, change his alignment and allow the party to make what they will of the change. He has enough enemies within the party at this point without me having to take direct action against him.

However, I'm strongly considering having an imp come in the night to pilfer pages from his spell book (including Gravity Bow).

*insert recovery side-mission here*

mtdew-1.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    and yet it could be fantastic if that's the case :)

I want so badly to rip his arm off. Just 1. After-all, he needs to gesture his incantations somehow until he takes Still Spell.

mtdew-1.jpg
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Yygdrasil wrote: »
    Tonight's session will involve a sizable Cave troll who can only remain dead if killed with Fire or Acid. I'm trying to fiorce him to actually cast a damn spell and learn that there's more to being a wizard than Gravity bow *facepalm*.

Given that you mentioned that his bolts add fire damage, this is not necessarily a viable option, since he'll still just be able to spam fire bolts to kill it, so you may want to adjust that.

I would change his alignment to full Chaotic Evil, but that's just me. Chaotic Evil is basically defined by wanton slaughter and lack of empathy towards the lives of others. Killing two party mates because you are too eager to get your phat deeps rolls is the definition of Chaotic Evil as far as I'm concerned.

It's textbook sociopath behavior, which I am almost positive is listed as an actual word in the Chaotic Evil description.

edited November 2012
    Split the party and have a pack of rust monsters just eat all his stuff.

If he wants to put up a fight, just remind him that they'll stop attacking if he gets rid of every piece of metal he owns.

Yes, your crossbow has metal in it. Oh shit, there might be lead in the ink of the starter spells in your ol' spellbook. Rust monsters gettin' prickly.

CowShark on
    lol

mtdew-1.jpg
    Has he ever described what his character wears? If not:

"Your robe's got buckles. Better ditch it."

Splitting the party and having a member show back up naked is always funny.

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't think that you, as a GM/DM, need to take any additional action. Simply explain to him that word of his Grav-Bow trick are getting around in the campaign world, and that NPCs will become more and more aware of the danger as time goes on.

Incidentally, the earlier idea of a Gravity Bow guild is a good one. Both for RPing opportunities for him and for NPCs for him to (have to) deal with...

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Well, I was going to say something about how frustrating it can be for a player wanting to play superman when every two-bit thug is carrying kryptonite, but it sounds like your problems are escalating quickly from "annoyingly min/maxed" to "grating personality."

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    You could have a monster with a special ability much like immortals from starcraft 2, that basically reads "any single source of damage greater than 5 damage is reduced to 5 damage" Such a monster would be very vulnerable to damage over time effects and sources of several small hits (like flurry of blows, magic missile, etc), and very strong to large, slow hits (suddenly his railgun only deals at maximum 10 damage per round, which is simply not enough!)

Insert it (or a couple of them) strategically as a tank in a particularly well organized group of foes, and now instead of ripping this guy's arm off or making situations in which he is simply more useless, you've given him a fun positioning game to play, as well as given some lower damaging party members a real task to accomplish, and some supporting classes in your party a good role as well, via bull rushes, blocking, repositioning, etc.

Try to resist the urge to make encounters in which what he is trying doesn't work. That's lazy. The good solution is to take his character concept and swing it from mindless railgunning to intelligent railgunning.

Well, in order of least important to most:
    He really should have rolled himself a Warforged Artificer.
    I always try to roll a neutral evil character. In any game setting. Because turns out, that's kind of my personality anyway.
    I got an idea! Have some piece of equipment he likes turn out to have been owned by a (blank.) Make that (blank) be something difficult to kill, and it wants its property back. Now, he's going to have to use wizard powers to defend himself from (blank.)

I'm liking all these idea. Filling a small notepad pretty quickly. Later I'll decide which ones I like best and post back to credit you with the results.

mtdew-1.jpg
    edited November 2012
    I liked the Hardened Shell idea (that's the name of the Immortal's ability in SC2, if you wanted to look it up). There is also the old reflect damage trick, an anti-favorite of anyone trying to pump out maximum deeps. Can even make it a bit more thematic:

Briarthorn Mantle
    Whenever the caster is attacked, they make an immediate attack roll against the attacker. If the attack roll succeeds, the damage is reflected back to the attacker immediately. If the reverse attack fails, the caster is given a reflex roll to half damage from the initial attack. If both rolls fail, the caster takes full damage as normal.

(Notice the attack, and attack roll, parts, this is very specific wording to stop magic from reflecting back...so our Roguizard decides he might want to use some spells against this dude)

GnomeTank on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I liked the Hardened Shell idea (that's the name of the Immortal's ability in SC2, if you wanted to look it up). There is also the old reflect damage trick, an anti-favorite of anyone trying to pump out maximum deeps. Can even make it a bit more thematic:

Briarthorn Mantle
    Whenever the caster is attacked, they make an immediate attack roll against the attacker. If the attack roll succeeds, the damage is reflected back to the attacker immediately. If the reverse attack fails, the caster is given a reflex roll to half damage from the initial attack. If both rolls fail, the caster takes full damage as normal.

Especially effective against a glass cannon with bad defenses (eg, a wizard)

The key is to use these ideas in conjunction with other normal things. You don't want to nerf this guy into nonexistence, you want to make him an interesting force on the battlefield, however you can.

I feel it's necessery to post his stat choices: (point buy system)

10 STR
    18 DEX
    10 CON
    16 INT
    10 WIS
    10 CHA

It gives me the willies just looking at it.

mtdew-1.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I still like the side mission idea as a time out, and I like your bit about having an imp steal his bow. Have that imp like halfway across the land by morning and he's got to spend a few sessions tracking it down while the other players get some extra loot and xp from a current quest line.

I don't see a need to break his arm, but taking away his most powerful weapon would essentially do the same thing.

Just be careful if you do this AND change his alignment, because he's likely to look for a store or traveler or other group on the quest and just rob/kill them for a new crossbow.

Having typed all that, and thinking about this for a while, I've got to say. The guy sounds a little immature, yes, and he IS min/maxing a little bit, but he's playing a wizard, even if it's not the classic wizard you want. Wizards are a great range class and he's getting what he wants, a ranged magic user, he just prefers to channel it through a weapon rather than his hands.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Have him loot a necklace that looks like a decent upgrade, but have it be cursed! And the curse? It gives the wearer TEENY TINY T-REX ARMS until the necklace is removed!
    Note that these tiny arms are too small to actually reach the necklace, and too small to wield a crossbow.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Have him loot a necklace that looks like a decent upgrade, but have it be cursed! And the curse? It gives the wearer TEENY TINY T-REX ARMS until the necklace is removed!
    Note that these tiny arms are too small to actually reach the necklace, and too small to wield a crossbow.

Yes.

YES.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Other possibilities:

He gets captured by some entities known for their sadism (Goblins spring to mind here) who blind him in one eye (real hard to shoot a crossbow with no depth perception).

He gets haunted by the spirit of the Rogue who manifests as a poultergeist inclined to interfere with his shooting. A cleric might be able to get rid of the poultergeist, but given his recent actions, the party cleric might not want to until he mends his ways.

The party finds a Cursed crossbow, which he will surely claim. Again, a Remove Curse will help here, but who will cast it for him? Maybe he'll find an Evil cleric willing to do the job. But the thing about evil priests is that they're evil. Maybe the price will be higher than he wants to pay. Maybe he'll just get scammed.

All of these ideas need only be a temporary hinderance to his Railgunning, but they'll emphasize that a little versatility is a good thing. And also that he has to rely on the other members of his party.

edited November 2012
    While I think the T-rex necklace and cursed crossbow are fun, my issue with those is that they make it very obvious you are targeting them specifically toward him.

My idea of a thorns spell was specifically tailored to make it so that it felt like a natural part of the campaign, but just happens to be to his detriment more than anyone else.

GnomeTank on