As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Patient Zero - Story-driven Convention Game - Updated 8/10

• staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Broken, have you been telling Pirate stories over IRC again?

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited July 2007
    Some people are having problems resizing their images to fit our criteria. If you're having problems getting an image to validate or not familiar with image manipulation, you can send your image to us at phillip@phenixone.com and we'll see if we can get it to work. If we can, we'll send you the modified image to upload with your character, as we don't modify data on our players accounts.

Either way, we'll delete the original image and will not keep it on file.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • RynoaRynoa Easton PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As PeasantDave mentioned earlier, Defenders of the Jersey Shore is looking for NJ residents or NJ-area people to join our Team for Patient Zero. Now we are all validated and are looking for validated players only. Please message me if you are interested. Thank you!

Rynoa on

www.BraidsAbound.com
    www.GCVoiceOvers.com
    Trade card with me (Rynoa, #049); Pokecrawl: Blue Silver; Twitter: muiiberri
  • skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some people are having problems resizing their images to fit our criteria. If you're having problems getting an image to validate or not familiar with image manipulation, you can send your image to us at phillip@phenixone.com and we'll see if we can get it to work. If we can, we'll send you the modified image to upload with your character, as we don't modify data on our players accounts.

Either way, we'll delete the original image and will not keep it on file.

Thank you! I got my picture rejected three times!

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, we're realizing our image requirements are a tad too strict and we'll be making some changes very soon that will make things a little easier for players to get that part complete. Be patient, we will work with you to get you through the process and into the game.

On another topic, we're almost at 100 players! I wonder what kind of achievement they'll get? :D

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New York faction based Staticwave is looking for one additional team mate for this event. We would like a person who is validated and willing to play all weekend. We a a 4 man group coming from Oregon and know in person each member involved. some requests have been sent out if you are interested though please do send me a private message with a way to get ahold of you and a little about yourself. thanks for your time and I look forward to a good game from all players.

MLORD on
    M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All the factions are full, are more factions going to be opened up?

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
    edited July 2007
    There will be a new faction up by the end of the day. In the meantime, all factions have had their limit increased, and are selectable for players.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited July 2007
    We've just added some new phone carriers to the list, and will be adding more later today. The ones just added are Rogers Wireless, Cincinnati Bell, Cricket, Qwest, Aliant and Bell Canada.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I tried signing up today but it didn't recognize my verizon number and it didn't list the factions I could join. :(

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    If you tried to do it right after you signed up, the faction limits had not been increased then, so it should work now. If you got an error on the phone number, it was because it was not 10 digits, as in 5551234567. If you're still getting an error, you can let me know whats going on at phillip@phenixone.com and I'll check it out.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited July 2007
    We'll be running a little online demo of the game in a week or two that will allow players to see how things like missions, research and abilities, etc. will work, but more importantly, this mini-story will allow you to play your characters and experience a small poortion of the Patient Zero storyline. If you're interested but haven't signed up yet, come on board and check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

Because we're using the same engine as for the game, only validated characters wil be able to play in this. If you're having some problems validating let us know, we'll do everything we can to help you through the process.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • person34person34 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Will there possibly be bonuses to characters that do well in the pre-story that could help them in the main arc? Perhaps as a sort of incentive to get people to validate their characters.

I just cant stand that my character only has one attack... or is it one life... either way. It looks sad every time I see it.

person34 on
    edited July 2007
    There will be achievements that you'll keep when the prequel game is done, but anything else like abilities, information etc. will be reset before PZ runs to ensure a fair start for all players.

The default for players is one attack and two life, and by completing missions and researching information you'll be able to increase both stats significantly. The best for players is on a team, since teammates can complete each others missions and share information.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Our prequel demo game, Training Day, is scheduled to start next week. There is a new page on the site in the Accounts area called Game Settings (login-required) that will allow you to opt-in to play it. Training Day will give you the chance to play as your character shortly before the events of Patient Zero. It'll also let you get a feel for how missions work and a sense of what you'll be asked to do. We might even through in a hint or two relating to the main game :).

You'll need to be validated to play, so if you're having difficulty, let us know at phillip@phenixone.com.

Expect the Unexpected.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am in like Flynn. Already opted in and can't wait to see what you have in store for all of us.

Officer on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm in...still trying to make my character and whatnot (limited stuff I can do from work :P)

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    I am so gonna get in on dis.

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    DJFenderStradt.png
    edited August 2007
    A few announcements. We're changing the cutoff date for characters to August 20th, after which the online registration will be taken down. We'll be setting up Thursday night in the Sheraton to sign up and validate people on the spot. If you're new on the forums and interested in playing check out the first post of this thread and our site phenixone.com for more information.

Friday morning, we'll be set up again in the Sheraton and handing out the player packets, which will include your armband and a booklet of all the player images for identification, as well as a quick rundown of the game and how to play. Team Leaders will be able to pick up the player packets for their team members.

Training Day is scheduled to start Saturday, August 11th. Players who have opted to play will receive their first mission then, and you can opt-in after the game starts to play. To simulate finding your target, we've created a system where every so often your target will appear in place of your name in the top-right of the page (after logging in). This is not random, so refreshing the page will not make it appear any faster. Check back every so often to see if your target is showing up, and while your on the site, check out our Game Guide to familiarize yourself with the game. When your target appears, click it to complete your mission.

Once you've completed your first mission, you'll automatically receive another one. We're testing our system out during this, so the program will not always be running continously like it will be during Patient Zero. We'll keep it running as much as we can but be warned there may be some delays in getting missions. Training Day will run up to the 21st, so you'll have plenty of time to play through this story.

There is no such thing as coincidence.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Training Day is here!
    Those of you who signed up for Training Day should have already received your first piece of Information and Missions. We have added a page under the Game Guide that will explains how the online game works.

If you're interested in playing the Prequel game or signing up for Patient Zero, the live game at PAX, you've still got time! If you have any questions you can check out our site at phenixone.com or send me a pm or email.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was going to sign up but it said i needed a phone :( damn it

sycholord31 on
    edited August 2007
    The phone is used so that we can contact you during the game if needed. We also send messages that keep you updated and allow you to complete missions that way as well.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Added the Telus carrier to the available carrier list.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Just wanted to note that I'm on Fido, and after bypassing the phone validation, I got my first mission thingies on my phone on Saturday.

So it receives alright. Haven't had anything to send back yet, but Fido supports sending emails from the phone, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    Here's some pics of the bands we'll be using to identify players. Black bands for admins and Enforcers, white bands for the players.
    PZ_Wristbands.png
    And one more for to show off the players bands:
    PZ_Wristbands_Glowing.png

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ohhh man... I'm gonna glow in the dark.

In other news... Target: Eliminated

PeasantDave on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. I managed to find my target and I clicked on his name and it brought me to my mission overview. Does that mean I accomplished my goal?

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    DJFenderStradt.png
    edited August 2007
    All factions have had their upper limit increased. Teams in some of the more populous factions can now invite players again. Huzzah!

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    I have one question. Are we supposed to be actively competing against the other factions to accomplish missions and discover information?

PeasantDave on
    edited August 2007
    That all depends on where you are in the storyline. The game also tracks how often one faction attacks another, and will generate missions that relate to that level of aggression.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Are we encouraged to share information with other people in our faction, or should we limit sharing to teams?

PeasantDave on
    edited August 2007
    Information is automatically shared between player on a team, whether you get it from a mission or through Research, but there is no way to give information to anyone else.

It is something we plan on having in the future that will open up a number of ways to interact with players.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Hey, I got 2 missions called "Proactive Strike" this morning, followed by the Zero Hour mission. When I went to look at my netlink thing, it only showed Zero Hour. Were the Proactive Strike ones leftover from Training Day?

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    I suppose my question was more of...

If someone in PAX Strike Force (New York) had to locate a target, and I saw the target, should I or should I not help the member of PAXSF?

I am just trying to get a feel for how much collusion you are expecting.

PeasantDave on
    edited August 2007
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Hey, I got 2 missions called "Proactive Strike" this morning, followed by the Zero Hour mission. When I went to look at my netlink thing, it only showed Zero Hour. Were the Proactive Strike ones leftover from Training Day?

Yeah that was a holdover from Training Day that snuck in so we deleted it.
    I suppose my question was more of...

If someone in PAX Strike Force (New York) had to locate a target, and I saw the target, should I or should I not help the member of PAXSF?

I am just trying to get a feel for how much collusion you are expecting.

That's entirely up to you guys, if you want to collaborate on your targets or on successful Research all the better.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    Are you going to be posting here where we can find you in the Sheraton? :D It just occured to me that I had to find you today or tomorrow :P

Although I guess that could be our first mission "Meet up at the temporary HQ to receive your instructions"....yay, good times. Hopefully my cellphone decides to not be lame.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'll post where I will be tonight and tomorrow as soon as I can get into our room. If you've already created a character, you can text HELP to game@phenixone.com and I'll know you want to get intouch with me and call you as soon as I can. This will also be how you will be able to get in touch with us during the game.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    So we're going to be set up tonight around 9-10 to register any people that want to play. We'll be in the lobby of the Sheraton, where all the comfy chairs and couches are, so if you want to play stop on by.

Tomorrow morning we'll be set upm in the same place to give out your character packets. Team Leaders can come by and pick up the packs for theie team.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited August 2007
    How long are you going to be at the Sheraton tomorrow morning?

As far as team leaders picking up the packets, would it be possible for me to grab mine and my team leader's? She's not getting in until a little later in the afternoon so I want to get everything ready for her if I can.

tr0tsky on
  • Santeria64Santeria64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, a friend of mine got part way through the registration process, but didn't finish. He can still log on, but can't access anything on the website. We can't come in tonight, we have limited transportation, is there any way we can sign him up tomorrow morning? Also, can we get our packets at the convention, or do we have to go over to the Sheraton?
    One more thing. Were our "information exchange" missions for the training day or for PAX?

Santeria64 on
    468D7F011B6A9.png
This discussion has been closed.