As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, November 30, 2012 - Mindcraft

2»

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Dystopiq wrote: »
    Goddamnit, who keeps leaving this damn bowl of onion here.onions

sorry, was making some guacamole when i got distracted by the comic and the tearyeyed-ness i suddenly had.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Danno81 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm not denying the emotion you guys have. It seems powerful and sincere; I simply don't feel it and can't establish that connection with this comic. It's a very alien comic to me.

I lack whatever instinct it is to make a child and be responsible for it, though. I don't see why you'd even want to. My fiancee and I got a dog and we can barely muster up enough caregiver empathy to get by there.

If it makes a difference, I love my son more than anything in the universe, but our cat can go to hell!

eh, that's the correct response, cats are dicks :P

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Shit, the newspost got me almost as much as the comic.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Well that kicked my ass.

Also does anyone know of a "family friendly" minecraft server where the chats are moderated and the players are "checked out"?

• Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    I have a 5 year old daughter who likes to play Minecraft with me.

The feels.

All the feels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Well that kicked my ass.

Also does anyone know of a "family friendly" minecraft server where the chats are moderated and the players are "checked out"?

There's probably a few around. The Penny-Arcade servers are both open to only PA members who are nice enough to keep it appropriate if there's a kid around. G&T has a server, so does SE++.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    The feelings, they hurt!

My 7 yo son wants me to get Minecraft (after playing around on his uncles' account), but I'm too cheap to shell out $27 bucks for it. So, I can avoid this conversation for a tiny bit longer - not much, though.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    This is my new favorite PA comic ever.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    NergyNergy Registered User regular
    I am not the least bit parental. But goddamn it I felt my eyes tingle.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Looking at this, I realized that I never really had a period of childhood innocence. The Atlanta child murders are some of my earliest news related memories. Adam Walsh was murdered only a few miles from my house in Florida. We shopped at the Sears he was taken from, and I may have even played video games at that same kiosk.

I can't bring a mind a time when I didn't know that there were bad people out there that wanted to hurt children like myself.

• Options
    The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The feels felt from this comic are too strong ;_;

76561198004630058.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Looking at this, I realized that I never really had a period of childhood innocence. The Atlanta child murders are some of my earliest news related memories. Adam Walsh was murdered only a few miles from my house in Florida. We shopped at the Sears he was taken from, and I may have even played video games at that same kiosk.

I can't bring a mind a time when I didn't know that there were bad people out there that wanted to hurt children like myself.
    Hey, I grew up with a kid named Adam Walsh. He didn't get murdered, though.

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    I guess the lessen here is never have kids.

Too many feelings.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    benit59benit59 Registered User regular
    There is something so powerful in these three frames.

The news post was equally powerful.

I know what it is like to be a bit of a "man-child". With two young boys it becomes confusing whether to be a parent or a playmate sometimes. You want to show them all the shiny toys you like to play with, but you worry they'll cut off their fingers on the sharp edges. You think about all the things that you did as a child/teen in this kind of subculture of table-top and video games and go, "Wow, I can't believe all of the strange old guy's apartments that me and my friends went and played MtG."

It is difficult for me to sum up my feelings and fears concerning my youth, who I am now as an adult, and what I want for my children as they mature. This comic touches on a lot of it though.

Thanks guys.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    This is a great comic.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I put up a related post in d&d, what features would you look for in a public minecraft server that you would allow your kids to play on?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/170442/kid-friendly-minecraft-server

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Hrm, grandmother just passed away. Thanks, feels trifecta, now I'm going to have to have a Conversation About Death with little kids.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    This is a great comic, though tear jerking. I don't have children myself but I have many, many younger cousins that I have watched grow up and seen the world re-shape. Some have come out better off, some worse but usually they came out alright.

And fuuuuuuu... I shouldn't have given in to curiousity about XKCD today. It's only been 1 year post treatment for my wife. Big years indeed. :?

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This is a wonderful comic, and it got me right here. And I'm not even ever having kids.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fuck, I keep tearing up every time I look at it.

This one's a keeper.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think there's extra punch because the first two panels are actually pretty funny, if not quite in their "dick jokes and say fuck a lot" wheelhouse. And then that third panel, while you're wide open and waiting to be tickled, instead knocks the wind out of you and then jumps up and down on your belly.

This is, in my opinion. a masterwork. It might be the culmination of fourteen years on the job. If they have the money they could retire tomorrow and I would not blame them, because it's not their funniest, it's not their prettiest, but it is quite possibly their best strip.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I like to think that the first panel takes place in the morning, so the space between 1 and 2 is just 12 hours of rules for internet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I assumed that too. Just hours of rules and warnings.

I like the Webcomic's award in the background. Apparently they give you a t-shirt and a statue.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I love this comic so much.

• Options
    akzelakzel Registered User regular
    One of the best of 2012!

• Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    Just noticed his son inherited his teeth going off first panel/last panel. Subtle detail.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Why does there appear to be a poster of a giant dick on Gabe's son's wall?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Why does there appear to be a poster of a giant dick on Gabe's son's wall?

It's a Creeper from Minecraft. Not only do they look like dicks, they act like total dicks too.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    My... my heart! It aches!! I... I feel... FEELINGS!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMvSVQ96WyjndaHOYQIFmpfgsByd_as-mjrsUwIHTc8MoJjSvb1A

• Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    I love my son more than anything in the universe, but our cat can go to hell!

That makes me sad. I hope someone in your household cherishes the kitty.

• Options
    Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    I love my son more than anything in the universe, but our cat can go to hell!

That makes me sad. I hope someone in your household cherishes the kitty.

Even the cat needs some lovin' this holiday season... =(

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't have kids either, but this comic has hit me right in the feels bag. I'm almost tearing up again. One of my all-time favorites.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    Loved Tycho's accompanying "musing's" as well. As to how all this hits too close to home for even them, how, looking back, we did some STUPID STUPID stuff when we were young nerds on the 'net and our parents were absolutely clueless, and how we (I for one) still don't know what to make of that, or even how to apply it to raising an actual well-adjusted human being, which seems to be the task at hand.

Absolutely love this strip to bits. Had to say it.

• Options
    archimidiasarchimidias Registered User new member
    Hey, I had to make an account just to express my appreciation for this comic. You guys continue to be a bright spot to this culture which is tragically so in need of guidance. I don't have kids, but this just hit me so powerfully. Why are things this way? Movie enthusiasts don't have this problem :(. Is it simply internet jerkwad theory in full effect? It seems darker than that. I just don't see why it's too much to ask that strangers don't abuse children, period.

In any case, my sincere thanks.