As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Programming project idea

dorindorin Registered User regular
I'm wanting to start a new programming project, and looking for ideas on what to do. I'd like to make a simple tool, related to making games, but don't have anything more specific than that.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Does it have to fill a hole currently lacking in good tools, or are you just looking for a project to practice?

• dorindorin Registered User regular
    Just practice

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    99% of the tools I use are related to art assets and converting data to or from XML. How about a tool that reads a directory of images and generates xml based on the contents? That's sotra like something we use for real (except it reads a .fla instead) and feels like a tool that people would use for real.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    How about an automated tool that will animate a set of spritesheets

Korror wrote: »
    99% of the tools I use are related to art assets and converting data to or from XML. How about a tool that reads a directory of images and generates xml based on the contents? That's sotra like something we use for real (except it reads a .fla instead) and feels like a tool that people would use for real.
    What sort of data would be useful? I assume you are looking for something more than just a list of files

In a real life situation, I'd probably be interested in the images dimensions so I could just run this tool, generate the xml and then use the xml when I'm loading these images from a server to make sure I set the correct dimensions and the images aren't warped when I load them in. I'm not 100% sure if that's possible though.

@Korror: Thanks for the suggestion. That turned out to be just what I was looking for. Here's the program if you're interested. gigashare.in/ea16f

@dorin Nifty, I'll try it out.