As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Sandman 2012 - Make others' dreams come true - Send the gifts by Dec 31st!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I could have made it easier for my Santa if I posted a link to my Amazon wishlist with all the trades I wanted, but my dumb ass deleted the comics list without thinking.

Hmm... Here.

Anything already published but Scalped (I'm getting that for myself). I stopped reading almost everything this summer (and then some), but most trades for that period aren't available yet except like Saga and other image titles. I collected the first 3? issues of Prophet and Glory, but I've never gotten to them. I'll try and build it back up when I get a chance. Frankly, you should wait until sometime after Dec. 10th to even look. In general, I trust the tastes of GV. If you'd get it for yourself, I'm sure I'd enjoy it. Oh, I need to add Atomic Robo.

Meanwhile, I'm still not quite sure what to get my santee. It'll come to me.

Crimsondude on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    gift sent!
    First lol

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Damnit, second.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    grim123 wrote: »
    gift sent!
    First lol

sorry. check my post last page. I had mine sent around midnight. :D

grim123 wrote: »
    gift sent!
    First lol

sorry. check my post last page. I had mine sent around midnight. :D

What! Crap second :(

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't even know how you sent yours before I even received my Santee. Unless... D:

I spent an hour yesterday adding a ton of stuff to my wish list instead of studying because the alternative was for me to go crazy. Still, you may want to wait a bit longer.

Some advice to those with Amazon wishlists, change it from purchased/unpurchased to all if you don't want to spoil your surprise. I have to do this because my family usually raids my list too and it sucks knowing a month early all your presents.

I don't even look at it.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Gift sent. Let me know when you get the e-mail, Santee.

Also, after running into some trouble trying to find books on Comixology, I've decided that I'm down with non-digital stuff too since that makes the selection wider.

Robos A Go Go on
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Found something for my santee! I am going to pick it up Friday and send it off, i hope they will enjoy it.

EDIT: And sent!

R0land1188 on
    steam_sig.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    oh, and gifts sent :D My santee (or is that sandee?) can expect them by next week or so I guess.

You made things TOO easy.

Well that's kinda the point right? :)

I just got off of a 60 hour week to find a package at my door. Yay me! I will make a followup with the goodies tomorrow but right now I am exhausted.

camo_sig.png
    arcath wrote: »
    oh, and gifts sent :D My santee (or is that sandee?) can expect them by next week or so I guess.

I just got off of a 60 hour week to find a package at my door. Yay me! I will make a followup with the goodies tomorrow but right now I am exhausted.

oh good! it showed up. Cant wait to see how it turned out.

I just got my gift package from @cardboard delusions. Thank you very much, CD. I'm especially psyched to read Dr. Strange Season One.
    IMAG0242.jpg

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Is it too late to sign up? I would have been on the ball earlier but Army Basic Combat Training has been eating up the last few months of my life.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    In that case, I'd be willing to take you on.

Yay - it got there early! I hope you like them, I was buying Atomic Robo for whoever I had and when I got you and you posted I was psyched you didn't have it.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    In that case, I'd be willing to take you on.

Thanks Dude of the Crimson. I've been out of the loop since September 17th, so I'm lost in the sauce as to what's been happening comics-wise. I'm more than happy to gift anyone else anything that was on their list but didn't get.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    forgot to say but my gift got sent. hopefully it gets there on time.

edited December 2012
    My santee is getting a nick& dent xmas. I'll do some more snooping but couldnt let the sale end with out sending off some cool stuff. omg it's always sooo hard not to buy too much. last time i had $300 worth of stuff in my cart tfaw is evil.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    arcath wrote: »

oh good! it showed up. Cant wait to see how it turned out.

It is great. I have some good stuff to get through now. :)

Clicky for gifts...
    1upf3.jpg

My Santee's gifts should be leaving this Friday as I don't get paid till Thursday. Should arrive in time for xmas.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    Great! hope you like them!

Bone in particular is one of my all-time favorites.

• Secret SandmanSecret Sandman Registered User regular
    Is it too late to sign up? I would have been on the ball earlier but Army Basic Combat Training has been eating up the last few months of my life.

I would love to get you in, but I honestly don't know how. I've already assigned everyone to everyone else, and sent out said assignments. I suppose that if there's a person who hasn't sent out gifts yet and is OK with switching to a different person, I could insert you into the chain there: that person would get you, and you'd get whoever that person had to begin with.

What do you guys think?

Sandmansig.gif
    I would but I already sent my package off into the aether.

steam_sig.png
    I already sent him something (the code for a digital copy of the Dr. Strange Season One cardboard delusions gifted to me).

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I finally got off my ass and put together a list of what I have.

Trades/Hardcovers:
    (Paul Pope's) 100%
    20th Century Boys
    365 Samurai and a Few Bowls of Rice
    99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style
    Acme Novelty Library
    Action Philosophers
    Agents of Atlas
    All-Star Superman
    Amazing Joy Buzzards
    American Splendor
    Amulet
    The Anchor
    Animal Man
    Annihilation
    The Annotated Mantooth
    Asterios Polyp
    Atomic Robo
    Banana Sunday
    The Big Book of Barry Ween
    Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
    Batman: Knight and Squire
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: Year 100
    Batman and Son
    Batman R.I.P.
    Barman: the Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Beasts of Burden
    Black Hole
    Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)
    Bone
    Captain America (Brubaker's run)
    Casanova
    Chew
    Chronicles of Wormwood
    Criminal
    Daredevil (Mark Waid's run)
    Daytripper
    Doctor 13: Architecture & Mortality
    Doom Patrol (Morrison's run)
    The Engineer: Konstruct
    Ex Machina
    Fables
    Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
    Fantastic Four (Hickman's Run)
    FF
    Fell
    Final Crisis
    The Five Fists of Science
    Flight
    Flex Mentallo
    Ghost Rider (Jason Aaron's run)
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
    The Goon
    G-Man
    Hack/Slash: First Cut
    Harry 20: On the High Rock
    Hellboy
    Hitman
    The Homeland Directive
    I Kill Giants
    Immortal Iron Fist (Fraction + Brubaker's run)
    The Incal
    Incredible Hercules
    Iron West
    Jimmy Corrigan the Smartest Kid on Earth
    JLA (Morrison's run)
    Kickback
    King City
    Kingdom: The Promised Land + Call of the Wild
    Kingdom Come
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    The Life and Times of Scroodge McDuck
    Locke & Key
    Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers
    The Losers
    Maintenance
    Maus
    Mighty Skullboy Army
    Mini-Marvels
    Mesmo Delivery
    Monster Zoo
    Mouse Guard
    Mysterius the Unfathomable
    New Frontier
    The Nightly News
    Northlanders
    Nova
    Orc Stain
    The Order
    Owly
    Pax Romana
    Penny Arcade print volumes
    Phonogram 1 + 2
    Planetary
    Promethea
    Prophet: Remission
    Proof
    Punisher Max
    Queen & Country
    Robotika
    Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter, The Outfit, The Score
    Saga
    Sam & Max Surfin' the Highway
    Sandman
    Scott Pilgrim
    Scott McCloud's books on comics
    Scud the Disposable Assassin: The Whole Shebang
    Secret Six
    Seven Soldiers of Victory
    Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
    Spider-Man: Reign
    Starman Omnibus
    Suburban Glamour
    Superman Birthright
    Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run)
    Avengers Disassembled: Thor
    The Mighty Thor (Walt Simonson's omnibus)
    Top 10
    Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers
    Transhuman
    Transmetropolitan
    Tumor
    Ultimates
    Umbrella Academy
    The Unwritten
    V for Vendetta
    Vimanarama
    Vision Machine
    Road to War of Kings
    War of Kings
    War of Kings: Warriors
    Watchmen
    Wolverine: Get Mystique
    Wonton Soup
    Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run)
    New X-Men (Morrison's Run)

I have too many floppies to list, but - off the top of my head - I have:
    1) Anything Batman starting with Morrison's run
    2) Recent Thor (starting with JMS's revival) and Journey Into Mystery
    3) Recent Iron Man
    4) Anything Deadpool
    5) My fill of Bendis's Avengers, starting with Disassembled
    6) Pretty much every major DC and Marvel event from the last decade
    7) All the Ultimate content I care about
    8) All the New 52 content I care about

The thing I love most about the GV Secret Santa is being introduced to comics that I wouldn't normally come across or try myself. Do you have some indie darling that you love but no one knows about? Or something very niche that only you, the author, and three other people care about? I want to read that.

If you want specific things that I don't have, but would like to read, here's a small sampling:
    1) Y the Last Man
    2) The new Transformers series seem cool
    3) I want to read a good Warhammer 40k comic. I heard Damnation Crusade was good, but I've never read it, or even seen it.
    4) A good fantasy comic. I heard Skullkickers was good. I heard some good things about the recent D&D comic, but the first issue didn't do much for me. I'd love to read a good Conan comic, sure.

I prefer hard-copy, dead-tree versions of things.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will be out of the country from December 10th to December 19th. I'll probably ask my parents to come by at least once during that time and bring inside any packages that I might have, but I still feel a little concerned about packages lying outside my door for days at a time (I live in an apartment building, so it's not a total Wild West out here, but still). I don't have any urgent need to receive my gift soon, or even before Christmas, so my Secret Sandman can feel completely free to hold off on shipping them until a week or two from now.

One of you should be getting a package tomorrow!

steam_sig.png
    Delduwath wrote: »
    4) A good fantasy comic. I heard Skullkickers was good. I heard some good things about the recent D&D comic, but the first issue didn't do much for me. I'd love to read a good Conan comic, sure.

Did you see Munch's list? (It's in another thread, but that was easier to find the link).

Anyway, as for witch_hunter if anyone else wants to get him something, I'm all for it. We could just exchange gifts between us, but that takes all the Secret out of it.

Did you see Munch's list? (It's in another thread, but that was easier to find the link).

I've seen it, yes. I've read some of those, like Orc Stain (so many dongs), and I intend to read the others, but I figured I'd hold off on buying more stuff for myself until Secret Sandmans are over.

It appears that my Sandman has struck!

Hulk spot package

KAtbI.jpg?1

HULK SMASH PACKAGE!

toxeT.jpg?1

HULK WIN!

DG8L0.jpg?1

Preacher Book 2! Awesome choice, and one Ive been wanting to get for quite awhile! 13 more issues to read now, woo!

Thank you Sandman (whom I know your real name, just not your forum handle. Anyone want to step forward?)

They forgot my note!

I hope you enjoy it.

steam_sig.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Got a box from Amazon in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Amoroc! I'll post pictures this evening.

I'm still deciding what to get my Santee.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm still deciding what to get my Santee.

Well, buy ME everything you're thinking about getting your Santee; I'll read it all and pick out the best one to send to them. ;)

Undead Scottsman on
    Uh ... I got my Santee last year a 1-yr subscription to Marvel DCU. So that may be a challenge.

Just packed up and sent out my gift. Given my physical proximity to my giftee (aka living in the same city), it should be arriving in their hands tomorrow.

edited December 2012
    Just packed up and sent out my gift. Given my physical proximity to my giftee (aka living in the same city), it should be arriving in their hands tomorrow.

OOO I'm going to guess you have me!

QpZ5s.gif

So I was right, seeing as we've talked about living in the same city before. I actually recently moved to Brooklyn and my door just buzzed.

Anyway onwards with the post!

So I was just playing my Xbox and minding my own business when the door buzzer rang. And a box was left upon my lobby table, so I brought it upstairs thinking it was mighty hefty:
    YJHbI.jpg?1

After fidgeting with my keys on the excellent tape job it was open!
    trsFQ.jpg?1

Now to dive in:
    x1CjY.jpg?1

There was also a nice, hand written letter from Delduwath giving me his reasons for choosing the books.
    1 - Doomwar, since it was on my list
    2 - Orc Stain, also on my list but since Stokoe is one of his favorite artists (mine too! good time to mention that I kickstarted Sullivan's Sluggers which I can't wait for and also own Wonton Soup))
    3 - King City, thanks in part to Munch but also because it's supposed to be quite awesome, a hefty read I look forward to.
    4 - Phonogram vol 2, been meaning to get this for a long time but never got a chance
    5 - I Kill Giants, I've heard of it and also never got a chance to check it out.

All in all an amazing haul! Incredibly brightened up my day and I can't wait to relax and read these! Thank you so much Del, my shelf was sorely missing some of these titles, definitely appreciate this. Hands down, blown away!

cardboard delusions on
    Hooray! I'm glad you like them!

Munch kept hyping up "King City" so much that a while ago I gave in and bought it. Turns out he was right, and it's awesome, and now I'm strong-arming that awesomeness onto others.My approach to GV's Secret Santas has always been "I'm gonna send you something that you'd like, but I'm also gonna send you something I like".

Also, please don't use the sample of my handwriting to steal my identity.

P.S. I can't help but laugh at the fact that part of the background in the photos is boards and bags from Midtown Comics. I'm going to assume it wasn't staged, and you have geeky paraphernalia scattered all over your apartment.

That's a really great set of books.

I'm at Midtown Comics weekly. I used to live 10 blocks north from the main store. Then after 2 years I learned there was a Grand Central store a few blocks from my office, so I've been going there from work for like 3 years. My office is moving downtown to Wall St so now I can go to that store, as a bonus, I'm only 2 subway stops from the Downtown store. Yes, our dining room table has a side that is reserved for my weekly comics, I have 4 shortboxes in my closet 2 short and 1 longbox in my parent's basement and this shelf:
    2SPvm.jpg