As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] New thread posted, please use that one.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    onesixty2 wrote: »
    Sounds good. Downloading the client now and yeah I do plan to be involved with NICE once I figure out which class I want to do first. Enjoy support / cc based classes, so Mesmer and guardian are the first I plan to try.

Elementalist can also be a good option for this. Or engineer too. :D

There is also Necro for the backwards approach to support: massive debuffing of the bad guys.
    shryke wrote: »
    So I'm looking at running a Guardian build that's X/X/0/30/20.

What I'm wondering is, A = 20/0/0/30/20 or B = 0/20/0/30/20 (major traits can be a bit mutable here, depending on what I'm up to)

Mostly it seems a choice between
    - A focusing more on damage and symbols, applying more vulnerability and more aoe burning.
    - B doing a more popping of virtue of justice and blinding, but less vulnerability.

Any of you guardians out there got ideas on this?

I don't agree with your trait choices but 0/20/0/30/20 is pretty close to what I ran as a support hammer guy for most of my Guardian's levels. IMO you're better off with 30 in Virtues than with 30 in Honor (for Permeating Wrath) if you want to lay down AoE. Absolute Resolution is, by the way, a really powerful support trait choice in some dungeons; it's one of the best "I am carrying people with no sense," traits in the game.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Hrm. This doesn't make my decision any easier.

Mesmer > Engineer > Guardian > Necro > Elementalist is the order I'm ranking it in, while still at 80% client download and just reading what limited information I can find.

I tend to not enjoy pure magic-dps based classes, but the Mesmer sounds quite fun to play around with. I really enjoy pvp healing though, it's probably what I am best at in these type of games. Considering there is no 'holy trinity' there isn't a very easy distinction I can see as to which class can heal, or what kind of healing they can do.

onesixty2 on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Something very important to keep in mind: in Guild Wars 2, the only "healing" class (as in, strongly emphasizes healing) is the Guardian. And the thing about the Guardian's healing is that it's mostly small pulses sent out to your party, instead of strong, individual-focused healing. The usual "cleric" duty of refilling HP is distributed to every player-- every character has one dedicated heal spell that gives them close to 50% of their health back in one go, from Guardians down to Thieves. Support is expressed predominantly through other means, such as applying positive status and disrupting enemy attacks. Like it or not, there is no "healer" in this game. Even if you heal, you heal by attacking. It's sort of like D&D 4E in that respect.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Something very important to keep in mind: in Guild Wars 2, the only "healing" class (as in, strongly emphasizes healing) is the Guardian. And the thing about the Guardian's healing is that it's mostly small pulses sent out to your party, instead of strong, individual-focused healing. The usual "cleric" duty of refilling HP is distributed to every player-- every character has one dedicated heal spell that gives them close to 50% of their health back in one go, from Guardians down to Thieves. Support is expressed predominantly through other means, such as applying positive status and disrupting enemy attacks. Like it or not, there is no "healer" in this game. Even if you heal, you heal by attacking. It's sort of like D&D 4E in that respect.

A shout warrior and an elementalist with Healing Ripple are also "healers," and Rangers have a healing skill that puts up a water field so that other classes can blast and get healing.

edited December 2012
    I enjoy that approach from the sound of it. Reading into skills off the site linked above my previous post, I'm thinking the engineer is my first try.

*edit* oh right race selection. forgot how long it takes me to pick a race / class in mmos.

onesixty2 on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    Please note that you can try all the class skills in the mists. It's an sPVP area that you can enter as soon as you finish starting instance (level 2 or so). Your character will be up-levelled to 80, with access to all skills (except for racial skills). You can re-spec for free and get all weapon types for free. In the mists you can try different specs, skills and get a "feel" for the class. And you don't even have to fight other players, just practice on golems. If you are not sure which class might be fun to level, try them all in the mists.

I'm Inae.3951 if I could get an invite whenever convenient. Still messing around with character creation..

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I wouldn't necessarily say that any class is more suited to healing that any other. I know for certain there are also crazy healing builds for necros and engineers, for example.

Huggles on
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily say that any class is more suited to healing that any other. I know for certain there are also crazy healing builds for necros and engineers, for example.

Yeah, I'm currently running an engie build for buffing and I'm a healin machine, but there's even better builds than the one I'm using. Play around a bit! And don't hesitate to ask questions :3

Where's that Elixir Gun build someone posted a while back? The one with the thrown bandages from medkit?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    What is that skill point waypoint put onto your map in the starting Norn area? I went into a cave which had a nice event going on, but couldn't seem to find what that was pointing me to.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What is that skill point waypoint put onto your map in the starting Norn area? I went into a cave which had a nice event going on, but couldn't seem to find what that was pointing me to.

Probably the underwater cave near the Grawl one. There's a fight inside for a point. (The vast majority of skill points are fighting a NPC, fighting a veteran enemy+2 adds, or chanelling at a location, though there are some more interesting ones, like cannon target practice in Bloodtide Coast)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Will have to head back there then and see what it's about. Where do the items go when you click deposit all collectibles? Did my first vendor run and clicked it, felt like I saw some inventory items disappear.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Sounds good. Downloading the client now and yeah I do plan to be involved with NICE once I figure out which class I want to do first. Enjoy support / cc based classes, so Mesmer and guardian are the first I plan to try.

Elementalist can also be a good option for this. Or engineer too. :D
    Also Necros!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Will have to head back there then and see what it's about. Where do the items go when you click deposit all collectibles? Did my first vendor run and clicked it, felt like I saw some inventory items disappear.

Personal Bank, Collectible Tab. Stores most Crafting Materials.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Engineers! Anyone got a leveling build they'd recommend? I found this one (link) but wanted to see other takes on this class.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Hoooo boy I'm starting to like my thief in spvp. Trololololiest class ever.

Is there any math available on how often ascended rings drop in T2? Like, how many T2 fractals will I have to run to get 2 pow/tou/vit rings?

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, so, I take it back. Many classes are fully capable of sending healing out to their allies on a regular basis. My reluctance to admit it probably has something to do with the Mesmer's inability to do likewise, unless you enjoy hearing "Agony. Torment. Pain." chanted continually.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Okay, so, I take it back. Many classes are fully capable of sending healing out to their allies on a regular basis. My reluctance to admit it probably has something to do with the Mesmer's inability to do likewise, unless you enjoy hearing "Agony. Torment. Pain." chanted continually.

And you don't really want to be doing that. Because it means you are using mantras.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

And you don't really want to be doing that. Because it means you are using mantras.

Mantra's need a good looking at, you can do a gimicky 4 Mantra Glass Cannon Damage Build but they see almost no other use.

• CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    Still needing an invite back into NICE. BakaGrappler.9615 / Millenia Reign the Human Mesmer.

"We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
    Mantras are how I learned my Mesmer is a large ham.

Obfuscate. DISORIENT. CONFUSION!

• VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Engineers! Anyone got a leveling build they'd recommend? I found this one (link) but wanted to see other takes on this class.

grenades all the way while leveling - assuming you don't mind ground targeting or spellcast. It is mostly power based which I tend to prefer while leveling though you get bleed/poison from the grenade kit as well. I was planning on switching to essentially that pistol build when I got to 80 but I just can't give up grenades and have no issues with no autoattack and having to aim every volley. Also, underwater, you'll be using grenades regardless as the speargun is atrocious by comparison.

Varg on
  • CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    Underwater Grenades do not need to be targeted, so there is absolutely no reason not to use them in that situation. I agree with Varg on that.

"We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So power amp guardian: -/-/-/-/20+/30, Sup and major monk rune + sup water rune, Inspired virtues, Superior Aria, Empowering might. Staff scepter, Empower, save yourselves -> switch -> smite, smite -> switch -> symbol of swiftness, empower -> repeat.

It cycles pretty well even without two-handed mastery, and it's pretty easy to get perpetual 25 stacks of might if another party member is helping even a little bit. Good for structures and brain dead meatshields that can't hurt you but need to be dpsed quick.

It works better when there's a bunch of adds, but then again so does renewed justice, and this one can be used against bosses.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Personally I enjoyed Rifle/Flamethrower. The former gives you good single target burst, utility and mobility (you have no idea how much I miss Jump Shot on every single other class), the latter okay AoE damage and a huge Toughness bonus with a level 60 trait.
    Grenades I personally found too annoying to use regularly. I use them in WvW and dungeons, but the idea of spending +dozen hours using them in PVE sounds like personal hell. And if you turn on smartcasting to make them a bit less obnoxious (ie, instantly throw at cursor) then I hope you're better at learning to never click on your ground-targeted skills than I am. So many fucked up Jump Shots and Support Drops.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Personal Bank, Collectible Tab. Stores most Crafting Materials.

Also worth mentioning that the bank/collections tab can be accessed from a crafting location as well, and that you can craft directly out of your collectables tab, so there's no reason to ever have that stuff in your inventory.

Early on it's worth salvaging white items, but stick to crude salvaging kits. Vendor anything blue/green that you don't need (or check prices on the trading post to see if it'll sell for more money).

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

Specifically:
    Is there anything in particular? Can you think of one thing that really gave you inspiration personally when you were coming up with ideas for Guild Wars 2? Is there any one thing where you’re like ‘Yep, that’s the biggest’ kind of influence?

I would say our world vs world system. Our world vs world PvP is highly inspired by the old Dark Age of Camelot Realm vs Realm system. A lot of people that work here, Dark Age of Camelot was their all time favourite game, and the realm vs realm was really what made that game spectacular and amazing. And that system of having three different sides fighting constantly and rotating between the influences of power over this big PvP area, that’s a place where we found a lot of inspiration. And we took it and put our own Guild Wars 2 twist on it. And it’s something where we tried to build on the best elements of that and then make it uniquely and distinctly Guild Wars as well.

And actually, in February, we’re going to do a whole bunch of expansions on top of that world vs world area, to make that experience even more uniquely Guild Wars. But that’s something where we took a lot of inspiration from a previous game, and take that and then build on it and make it something even more.

:D:D:D:D:D

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

Specifically:
    Is there anything in particular? Can you think of one thing that really gave you inspiration personally when you were coming up with ideas for Guild Wars 2? Is there any one thing where you’re like ‘Yep, that’s the biggest’ kind of influence?

I would say our world vs world system. Our world vs world PvP is highly inspired by the old Dark Age of Camelot Realm vs Realm system. A lot of people that work here, Dark Age of Camelot was their all time favourite game, and the realm vs realm was really what made that game spectacular and amazing. And that system of having three different sides fighting constantly and rotating between the influences of power over this big PvP area, that’s a place where we found a lot of inspiration. And we took it and put our own Guild Wars 2 twist on it. And it’s something where we tried to build on the best elements of that and then make it uniquely and distinctly Guild Wars as well.

And actually, in February, we’re going to do a whole bunch of expansions on top of that world vs world area, to make that experience even more uniquely Guild Wars. But that’s something where we took a lot of inspiration from a previous game, and take that and then build on it and make it something even more.

Nice link.

This excites me as well:
    ...but January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I'd be interested to see a necro one that was much good. Scepter-bombing is wearing thin.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

I'd be interested to see a necro one that was much good. Scepter-bombing is wearing thin.

This is the core of the build. Essentially, you have a fast-recharge GTAoE regen on the staff, the heal skill is a long-lasting pulsing GTAoE heal, and you drop into DS every 34s or so to blast off Life Transfer for AoE damage that restores around 2k health to the five nearest allies over ten pulses thanks to Blood Magic VI. Sadly, gone are the days where the skill had no limits as to how many allies/enemies it would affect, which was hilarious in wuvwuv zergs. You can use pretty much whatever you want around that core build, so long as you stack heavy healing power in your gear somehow.

Personally, I go more into wells, taking Blood Magic VIII and Death Magic IV and a selection of wells, typically Corruption and Suffering and either Power or Darkness depending on how important condition removal is at the time.

• Killer AvacadoKiller Avacado Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Personally I enjoyed Rifle/Flamethrower. The former gives you good single target burst, utility and mobility (you have no idea how much I miss Jump Shot on every single other class), the latter okay AoE damage and a huge Toughness bonus with a level 60 trait.
    Grenades I personally found too annoying to use regularly. I use them in WvW and dungeons, but the idea of spending +dozen hours using them in PVE sounds like personal hell. And if you turn on smartcasting to make them a bit less obnoxious (ie, instantly throw at cursor) then I hope you're better at learning to never click on your ground-targeted skills than I am. So many fucked up Jump Shots and Support Drops.

@ringswraith - a second for Glal's suggestion here. Single targets are pretty much cake with the rifle if you remember that it can be used for both long range (melee - lolnetshotlol) and short range (blunderbuss / jump shot die ranged die) work. The FT does good damage and once you get used to it it's a beast.

I just hit 60 not too long ago on my engy and I'm finally poking around away from this setup. So far the healing bomb kit is hilarious for PvE (3 trolls at +3 levels never touched me and died quick last time I was on) - just trying to wrap my head around all the options that it suddenly gives me compared to the good ole Elixir B / grenades (for the belt skill) / FT loadout.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I really think grenade kit should be revamped to be more powerful but you only have a limited number of grenades and then a cooldown

So I hear there's this mug/cloak and dagger/backstab combo or something I can do as a thief. How exactly do I do that??

Specifically:

A third heavy armor class, perhaps?

• OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    So I hear there's this mug/cloak and dagger/backstab combo or something I can do as a thief. How exactly do I do that??
    I haven't done it myself, but I think the gambit is Basilisk Venom-> start C and D-> Mug to close, stealth, and proc your Venom-> C and D goes off-> Backstab

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I really wish people would get over trying to force roles into GW2. There are no roles. There is no hard trinity. There is no soft trinity. There is only your character.

Every character needs to be able to provide damage, control and be able to survive. And then you can build in support, usually in the form of extra boons, condition incremental heals or situational buffs (like Timewarp from our lovely mesmer friends).

But no character should be built with the idea that all you're going to do is "heal" or "support" in dungeons. I tend to view those builds as cheap packages, because they're going to get carried through content by people who've put more thought into building a character for GW2 and not generic next gen MMO alpha.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I don't think anybody here is trying to do that. But you can't argue that there aren't builds that are more support-heavy than others. I mean, there's a big difference between playing my thief in dungeons, who primarily does damage backed up with support from traps, venoms, combos, and the like, and my engineer armed with an elixir gun and a turret-heavy build. Sure, she does damage, but she's most useful in the healing, debuffing, and CC that she does.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    I don't think anybody here is trying to do that. But you can't argue that there aren't builds that are more support-heavy than others. I mean, there's a big difference between playing my thief in dungeons, who primarily does damage backed up with support from traps, venoms, combos, and the like, and my engineer armed with an elixir gun and a turret-heavy build. Sure, she does damage, but she's most useful in the healing, debuffing, and CC that she does.

That's fine but its a long way from "Looking for 1 more for fractals, need Guardian" - which I have honestly seen. People seem convinced that somehow the guardian is the most "support / healery" of the classes, which just flat out isn't true. From my understanding a mantra based mesmer outputs the most healing to a group possible, and even that isn't enough to keep folks up if they aren't dodging and avoiding attacks.

Roles are important, and anyone who thinks otherwise is silly. But forcing classes into roles is just mad - my Mesmer can outtank warriors and guardians with the right spec and build and bosses.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Whole i guess this jan and feb being huge might be true, im not going to get excited this time. They said Nov would blew us away and i felt that update was nowhere near as big as it sounded.

That getting said the biggest thing they could do according to things they have hinted at before would be new weapons. They pretty much laid it out that there would be no new professions. At least for a very long time.

Maledict66 wrote: »

That's fine but its a long way from "Looking for 1 more for fractals, need Guardian" - which I have honestly seen. People seem convinced that somehow the guardian is the most "support / healery" of the classes, which just flat out isn't true. From my understanding a mantra based mesmer outputs the most healing to a group possible, and even that isn't enough to keep folks up if they aren't dodging and avoiding attacks.

Roles are important, and anyone who thinks otherwise is silly. But forcing classes into roles is just mad - my Mesmer can outtank warriors and guardians with the right spec and build and bosses.

I've out-tanked the rest of my group as an elementalist before, just because D/D can be constantly moving while unloading.

This discussion has been closed.