As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

300 on Blu Ray / HD DVD Today

2»

• FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!

TONIGHT WE DINE

IN HELL
    It was kind of neat reading that line in Gates of Fire.

FreddyD on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, having seen 300 again, I actually have to kind of admit it wasn't really anything that special. I mean, the artistic storytelling/visuals aside, the story didn't exactly feel that epic and some scenes could have has something special but just felt somewhat bland...

To be frank, it wasn't as epic as initially I thought. I don't even think it can compare to a movie like Gladiator.

Lucky Cynic on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, having seen 300 again, I actually have to kind of admit it wasn't really anything that special. I mean, the artistic storytelling/visuals aside, the story didn't exactly feel that epic and some scenes could have has something special but just felt somewhat bland...

To be frank, it wasn't as epic as initially I thought. I don't even think it can compare to a movie like Gladiator.

Gladiator was one of those rise to greatness movies. 300 is basically a 'kill any mofo that gets in our way' movie.

KimFidler on
    edited August 2007

Gladiator was one of those rise to greatness movies. 300 is basically a 'kill any mofo that gets in our way' movie.

Right I understand it wasn't exactly supposed to be one of those flicks where it's all about respect and has a deep storyline, but why couldn't it? I understand it had to have blood and violence because it just was like that from the comic book, but many of the characters felt really disposable and I actually didn't care when some of them died. There's a lot of other stuff that bothered me though, besides me not caring if a supporting character just got his head cut off.

For example: In the trailer I saw the elephants and was really looking forward to the scene where they fight it and seeing how they can take down two or three elephants without having a hard time. But in the movie it was "The Persians sent their largest beasts to them... but they were clumsy and fell off the cliff, the end." It felt like there could have been an elaborate (and epic) fight scene there, but instead they just copped out and just cut it short. They were boasting the special effects the movie has put in, but to be honest, I think they could have done more impressive and exhilarating sequences if they actually gave a damn.

Lucky Cynic on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the dialogue in 300 is pretty bad too, but it is a very beautiful movie, and pretty fun to watch. A worthy addition to my collection all in all.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Right I understand it wasn't exactly supposed to be one of those flicks where it's all about respect and has a deep storyline, but why couldn't it? I understand it had to have blood and violence because it just was like that from the comic book, but many of the characters felt really disposable and I actually didn't care when some of them died. There's a lot of other stuff that bothered me though, besides me not caring if a supporting character just got his head cut off.

For example: In the trailer I saw the elephants and was really looking forward to the scene where they fight it and seeing how they can take down two or three elephants without having a hard time. But in the movie it was "The Persians sent their largest beasts to them... but they were clumsy and fell off the cliff, the end." It felt like there could have been an elaborate (and epic) fight scene there, but instead they just copped out and just cut it short. They were boasting the special effects the movie has put in, but to be honest, I think they could have done more impressive and exhilarating sequences if they actually gave a damn.

I agree with you. I hear there's talk of a sequel involving the Persian empire fighting the unified Greeks. Perhaps they'll change things a bit more?

After I finished watching this the other day, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if they did an Alexander the Great movie...oh....meh...." Damn you Colin Ferril, ruining everything you touch.

To Urian: This movie looked so fucking badass on my 144 inch 2.35:1 projector screen

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!

TONIGHT WE DINE

THEN WATCH THE MOIVE

IN HELL

fix'd.

Why does the Bluray have less extras than the HD-DVD? Is it a storage issue, or I've also heard Warner is leaning slightly more into the HDDVD camp?

MichaelLC on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    fix'd.

Why does the Bluray have less extras than the HD-DVD? Is it a storage issue, or I've also heard Warner is leaning slightly more into the HDDVD camp?

It's partly that Blu-Ray still hasn't sorted out BD-J properly yet, and partly that many existing players won't support the Blu-Ray PiP function as it requires a second decoder. By this christmas it should be all working for them.

Rook on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Panickd wrote: »
    All this grain in 300 and other movies I've purchased (On both HD and Bluray), is making me think it's not worth it. Everyone knows about 300, but even Clerks 2 and House of Flying Daggers make me regret paying the premium for Bluray or HDDVD

The difference being that the grain in 300 is intentionally introduced as a visual gimmick to give the film a graphic novel look while the grain in the other films you mentioned is just the HD bringing out whats present in the film stock. I saw House of Flying Daggers in HD and didn't think it looked that bad.

I love HD but I hate the prices they are charging for stuff. $220 for a single season of Star Trek?!?! Gimme a fucking break! I'll plop down $35 for a film on an HD format over the $15-20 to buy it on DVD but I'm not delving into the 3 figure arena for any movie or TV show. Christ, even the Bladerunner collectors edition thing thats due out in December is less than $100 and that's got something like 5 Discs worth of Bladerunner!

Weren't the DVD seasons of Star Trek like $125 or more when they came out? I think it's just a premium price they put on Star Trek as a brand, because they know people will buy it. Then drop it later for the rest of us.

I just found the complete set of TNG on Amazon for $370 and I'm so tempted. Hmm..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

300 is Conan in a flashier package: leave your brain at the door and enjoy all the ass-kicking.

Crom laughs at your need for plot and dialogue.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I was just looking at that Bladerunner set. Kinda amused how both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions are 5 discs. Either way though, I think I'd only want the new cut (assuming they've actually improved it)

Considering Ridley Scott seems to recut Bladerunner every 10-15 years or so I kind of doubt this is the "definitive version" and I can't see it really being any better than the cuts of the film that are already out there. I mean Bladerunner is already an awesome movie (in any of it's various forms). You'll also note that besides the Bluray and HD-DVD versions being 5 discs they'll also be releasing a standard def DVD set which is also 5 discs. Seems to be some laziness on their part (or maybe they just want to make it look like there is more stuff). O_o

Anyway they'll also be releasing a 2 disc "special edition" of the "Final Cut" too. So you don't have to buy all the rest of that crap to get just the new cut. Personally I like the snazzy briefcase.

Maybe he'll start recutting Gladiator the same way. I hear he's already thinking about it.

"Here's my idea: No two people will ever own the same version of the film! It'll be great!"

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
    edited August 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

300 is Conan in a flashier package: leave your brain at the door and enjoy all the ass-kicking.

Crom laughs at your need for plot and dialogue.

Right, but the Spartans actually had a real deep sense of code and honor but later they just dropped all freedom versus slavery talk and instead operated on blood lust. I think if they wanted to do a really bloody movie the Norse would have been a better choice.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2007
    Right, but the Spartans actually had a real deep sense of code and honor but later they just dropped all freedom versus slavery talk and instead operated on blood lust. I think if they wanted to do a really bloody movie the Norse would have been a better choice.

Right...like it's all totally historically accurate anyway. O_o

Panickd on
    edited August 2007

Yeah, okay, I know a movie based on a Comic isn't exactly accurate, but during the first portion of the movie, it felt like they were held together in a bond, a pact if you will, and then later they don't even talk of it and instead just go killing.

Lucky Cynic on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, okay, I know a movie based on a Comic isn't exactly accurate, but during the first portion of the movie, it felt like they were held together in a bond, a pact if you will, and then later they don't even talk of it and instead just go killing.
    ... are you kidding me?

They seemed more united during battle than at any other point in the film.

Christ,
    As the spartans all lay there dying, one turns to Leonidas and tells him it was an honor to die with him.

They really never lost their unity, their bond.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, the HD-DVD version is a vastly superior product in all ways except the pricetag (costs more).

The Interactive features (inluding the PIP of the entire film sans processing) is exclusive to HD-DVD, and it really kicks the film upa notch.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, yeah, the HD-DVD is good if you like extended features. Me, I watch em exactly once, and never think about em again. I don't have an HD-DVD player, but this movie might have pushed me closer to getting one.

All told, the encode was the most important part, and since they were the same... I'll let someone else pay 4-8 bucks extra for a DVD they'll never use and one special feature.

*shrug*

Matrix Trilogy could force me to buy HD DVD though - is this ever coming to Blu Ray?

FatmanGames on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »

To Urian: This movie looked so fucking badass on my 144 inch 2.35:1 projector screen

I bet it did. That sounds fucking sweet.

Urian on
    edited August 2007
    Well, yeah, the HD-DVD is good if you like extended features. Me, I watch em exactly once, and never think about em again. I don't have an HD-DVD player, but this movie might have pushed me closer to getting one.

All told, the encode was the most important part, and since they were the same... I'll let someone else pay 4-8 bucks extra for a DVD they'll never use and one special feature.

*shrug*

Matrix Trilogy could force me to buy HD DVD though - is this ever coming to Blu Ray?

Supposedly they are holding back on releasing BR versions of some of those movies (there's a list, I forget where) until the coding is finalized so they can put extras on them.

Personally, I think a format should finish it's coding FIRST, then hit the market. I don't mind improvements (USB 1.1 -> 2.0, etc) really, but it's like Wireless-N before it was finished and everyone had made their own version that may or may not work with other brands (or the final standard). They really shouldn't make products that don't have a standard to base it on yet.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Couple of questions, which may be stupid but what the hell;

1. How do you save your movie position? If i stop watching a film, turn the 360 off then come back later it starts the hd dvd from the beginning. Which is annoying.

2. On the special features on 300 is there anyway to make the picture fill the screen, most of them are very small which i presume is because they are in standard def.

Thanks!

Piggo on
    edited August 2007
    Bluray is going to win the format war. It's only really a matter of how long it takes for HD-DVD to give up, i'd say in about 8-10 years we'll see only Bluray and a shitload at that. By then most people will have HD set ups.

Urian on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried to run this movie at 2560x1600 full screen on my 30" dell and realized I now need an HD DVD player, when the hell are those combo drives coming out?

But yea, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    Bluray is going to win the format war. It's only really a matter of how long it takes for HD-DVD to give up, i'd say in about 8-10 years we'll see only Bluray and a shitload at that. By then most people will have HD set ups.
    You sure about that?

Blu Ray's sales advantage drops from month to month in the wake of all the new titles, HD DVD sells more standalone players than Blu Ray, and there are more movies available to buy on HD-DVD.

I say both of 'em stay, and neither take any kind of market dominance.

The real winner of the future will be DVD9, and HD In Demand, while the HT purists will buy the disc mediums which are made for a niche audience.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    You sure about that?

Blu Ray's sales advantage drops from month to month in the wake of all the new titles, HD DVD sells more standalone players than Blu Ray, and there are more movies available to buy on HD-DVD.

The real winner of the future will be DVD9, and HD In Demand, while the HT purists will buy the disc mediums which are made for a niche audience

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    You sure about that?

The real winner of the future will be DVD9, and HD In Demand, while the HT purists will buy the disc mediums which are made for a niche audience.

If more people go HD, and if Bluray players drop in price, I see Bluray taking over the HD market. People want discs to play their movies. But that's just how I see it happening.

Urian on
    edited August 2007
    Piggo wrote: »
    Couple of questions, which may be stupid but what the hell;

1. How do you save your movie position? If i stop watching a film, turn the 360 off then come back later it starts the hd dvd from the beginning. Which is annoying.

2. On the special features on 300 is there anyway to make the picture fill the screen, most of them are very small which i presume is because they are in standard def.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that the 360 is the actual "player" and acts like a DVD player in that you can stop the movie and then restart later from the same position, but if you turn it off then it loses that memory and you start from the beginning. That's what chapters are for isn't it?

Basically - you can't turn the 360 off, because it's handling the playing of the DVD.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that either format is going to be anything more than the new Laserdisc. I see the DVD format staying around for a looong time. None of the "Blu-Ray is winning!" announcements really sound that convincing to me; when compared to DVD sales, it's still like saying that last month they sold 5 HD-DVDs and 6 Blu-Ray discs.

I will say, though, that this movie does make me wish I had some sort of HD player. Not enough to spend the cost of a player, mind you.

shyguy on
    edited August 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

*shrug*

Supposedly they are holding back on releasing BR versions of some of those movies (there's a list, I forget where) until the coding is finalized so they can put extras on them.

HD-DVD Release Dates: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

Bluray Release Dates: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html
    shyguy wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that either format is going to be anything more than the new Laserdisc. I see the DVD format staying around for a looong time. None of the "Blu-Ray is winning!" announcements really sound that convincing to me; when compared to DVD sales, it's still like saying that last month they sold 5 HD-DVDs and 6 Blu-Ray discs.

I will say, though, that this movie does make me wish I had some sort of HD player. Not enough to spend the cost of a player, mind you.

Since most people don't have HDTVs yet this whole nextgen media war is a little moot.

Personally I would bank on HD-DVD for a few reasons the most important of which is Sony being on the other side. Sony doesn't have a good track record of being on the "winning" side of new media releases (Beta, MiniDisc, S-CDs, the memory stick, need I say more). But you're right, it's not going to matter until more people care and thats not going to happen until HDTV use gets its numbers up. I doubt you can see a difference between HD content and a regular DVD on a non-HD capable television.

Panickd on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    If one were to ever "win", it would be so far in the future that dual players will be cheap and it won't matter to any sane human on this planet.

PeekingDuck on
    edited August 2007
    And 10 years out we'll all be talking about the new Holocube format wars or some other such nonsense. And I'll have to go buy all my movies yet again! :|

Panickd on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If you are disappointed from the lack of depth and background story in 300 I suggest you read Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield. It gives a much more personal look at the larger than life heroes featured in the movie. I feel the book and the film complement each other really well, because they both have different goals and perspectives.

FreddyD on