As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whedon and Ryan to take over Runaways.

Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning.Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
The story.

It is here

Or on page 4, if you prefer.

Sars_Boy on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    I haven't read Runaways, but once I have the money to get into Marvel, it's one of the first things I'll be picking up.

Garlic Bread on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I hope they give it to someone good.

If they didn't, that would be bad.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    bobgorila wrote:

bruce jones

Garlic Bread on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    D:

I knew about Alphona, but BKV? That's bad.

I hate when they change writers. I have a feeling I'm not going to read Nextwave after #12 either.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Between this and Runaways/YA, things are not looking good for the book's future.

Mai-Kero on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Boo.

Well at least if its a sucky writer I'll be able to save $3 each month. But I do not want someone bastardizing these characters.

BiggNife on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If anyone's going to replace Vaughn and Alphona, I hope it's Mike Norton and Sean McKeever. I can't imagine anyone else continuing the book and keeping it true to its roots, and I'm terrified that they'll go with that one manga artist that did a few fill-in issues.

Alternatively, I hope they put Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon on the title, taking it in a completely different direction, just so I could watch my computer actually melt as the rage of thousands of Runaways-fans sets the internet ablaze.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I do not read the book, but I sure as heck will never start if the artist from Runaways/Young Avengers is anywhere near it. barf

DouglasDanger on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

bruce jones

Oh, God.

Don't start giving them ideas.

Red or Alive on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've never even considered Runaways without BKV. I should have known better since it wasn't creator-owned. I'll wait until they announce the new creative team to decide if I'll keep it on my Pull List.

Oh, and what if the new writer is

[spoiler:999e561e7e]Allan Heinberg[/spoiler:999e561e7e]

I'm guessing that would be near impossible due to scheduling conflicts alone, but I can dream can't I?

Gigaton on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

bruce jones

Oh, God.

Don't start giving them ideas.
    I havent read any of Jones' stuff but I remember the beginning of the Hulk run being well recieved. Did he write something dumb?

And no, I am not trying to start a rantfest. I am simply curious.

BiggNife on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well shit.

They'd better get a good team on this book.

deadonthestreet on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    I havent read any of Jones' stuff but I remember the beginning of the Hulk run being well recieved. Did he write something dumb?

Man Bat, Vigilante, and Nightwing were all horribly received. I only read Vigilante, and it was bad enough to keep me away from the others.

Munch on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    BiggNife wrote:

Man Bat, Vigilante, and Nightwing were all horribly received. I only read Vigilante, and it was bad enough to keep me away from the others.

Were? Were?

It's not like we're not used to seeing Nightwing being raped, but Christ almighty.

Red or Alive on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    BiggNife wrote:

Man Bat horribly recieved? I don't think it's quite that extreme, granted, I havent read it yet, though I do have the first two issues, I think it was more of a "a few like it, a few hate it". Nightwing on the otherhand..

/shudder

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Honestly? I'm crushed.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I dunno. Runaways is one of my favorite monthlies, but...It just seems like they've been stagnating lately. Nothing's happening. Hopefully with issue 18 and new blood coming on the (creative) team, things will pick up and the Runaways will have a purpose again.

But...Not Joss Whedon. Nico's my favorite of them all and even I wouldn't be able to stand the "NICO'S SO AWESOME LETS HAVE NICO SAVE THE DAY EVERY TIME OMG AND WE CAN RENAME HER KITTY PRIDE YEAH AWESOME IDEA I AM JOSS WHEDON!" that would happen to the book.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2006
    Blackjack wrote:
    I dunno. Runaways is one of my favorite monthlies, but...It just seems like they've been stagnating lately. Nothing's happening. Hopefully with issue 18 and new blood coming on the (creative) team, things will pick up and the Runaways will have a purpose again.

But...Not Joss Whedon. Nico's my favorite of them all and even I wouldn't be able to stand the "NICO'S SO AWESOME LETS HAVE NICO SAVE THE DAY EVERY TIME OMG AND WE CAN RENAME HER KITTY PRIDE YEAH AWESOME IDEA I AM JOSS WHEDON!" that would happen to the book.

Nothing's happening?

Newsflash: ONE OF THE KIDS WAS JUST FUCKING STABBED TO DEATH.

Also, shut up. Joss' Astonishing is really good, and if you're going to get uppity about a writer who used Kitty a lot I suggest that you start with John Byrne.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Nothing's happening?

Also, shut up. Joss' Astonishing is really good, and if you're going to get uppity about a writer who used Kitty a lot I suggest that you start with John Byrne.

But, it's cool. You don't need to read my comment or anything.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2006
    Blackjack wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Nothing's happening?

But, it's cool. You don't need to read my comment or anything.

It's cool, you can continue to be a twat.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Nothing's happening?

Astonishing is mixed at best. The entire Dangerous arc was retarded.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the current arc.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

Nothing's happening?

Astonishing is mixed at best. The entire Dangerous arc was retarded.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the current arc.

Get off my plane.

Personally I think the current arc is the best so far. But then, I'm like that with the minority of whedon fans.

[spoiler:6aab2c80c8]the last season of angel was the best[/spoiler:6aab2c80c8]

Mai-Kero on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I do not read the book, but I sure as heck will never start if the artist from Runaways/Young Avengers is anywhere near it. barf

What are you talking about, his art is awesome. I hope that he starts doing the YA cause he nailed all the characters and their expressions.

Cariblue on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

What are you talking about, his art is awesome. I hope that he starts doing the YA cause he nailed all the characters and their expressions.

Well, he's done the exact opposite with the Runaways. :?

So... who's going to be taking over the writing and the drawing?

DarkPrimus on
  • Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bummer.
    Hopefully it'll still be a quality read once BKV and Alphona leave.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

untitledpd2.jpg

If this dude starts drawing Runaways, I'm done with the book.

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

untitledpd2.jpg

Ditto.

Apparently Cariblue's idea of "nailing the characters" includes, among other things, "all the girls have huge tits" (including the friggin 12-year-old)

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Apparently Cariblue's idea of "nailing the characters" includes, among other things, "all the girls have huge tits" (including the friggin 12-year-old)

Thats a problem that a lot of artists have. They draw younger characters to look much older. Just look at certain runs of Teen Titans.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    noooooooooooooooo

DJ Eebs on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

untitledpd2.jpg

Ditto.

Maybe he meant it as in a "Makes me wish I was..." sense.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

[im g]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3816/untitledpd2.jpg[/img]

Ditto.

Maybe he meant it as in a "Makes me wish I was..." sense.
    *snort*

Gof, I'm going to edit that image tag. It's so awful.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This news makes me very, very sad. :cry:

I hope they put someone who is able to capture the whole teen-angst spirt of the comic. I'd also love for this comic to continue to explore some more of the occult themes in the Marvel universe.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Well I guess BKV did say that they've got a new creative team picked out and that it's a really good one, so we'll see.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Well I guess BKV did say that they've got a new creative team picked out and that it's a really good one, so we'll see.
    Yeah but he also said the dudes doing YA/Runaways would be great.

deadonthestreet on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:

And it's not like he could just come out and tell his fans he's leaving to focus on more creator owned projects and is letting a shit team in to screw the pooch.

werehippy on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:

Not only great, but that they really understood the characters.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    You know, Zeb Wells isn't that bad. I don't think this is so much his story, and if the Young Avengers or Runaways are out of character, well, Heinberg and Vaughan are supposedly supervising the whole thing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I liked Wells when he did New Warriors, and I think he's capable of writing Runaways. The problem with this YA/Runaways is that he's been tasked with introducing these characters that have never been out of their own book, which doesn't sell nearly as well as it should.

I'm not going to defend the art, although I don't think it's as terrible as everyone says it is. It's not great, or even really good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wells and the artist from New Warriors take over, but I also don't think it'll happen.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    You know, Zeb Wells isn't that bad. I don't think this is so much his story, and if the Young Avengers or Runaways are out of character, well, Heinberg and Vaughan are supposedly supervising the whole thing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I liked Wells when he did New Warriors, and I think he's capable of writing Runaways. The problem with this YA/Runaways is that he's been tasked with introducing these characters that have never been out of their own book, which doesn't sell nearly as well as it should.

I'm not going to defend the art, although I don't think it's as terrible as everyone says it is. It's not great, or even really good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wells and the artist from New Warriors take over, but I also don't think it'll happen.
    Oh please. The characters spent 80% of the second issue describing themselves while hitting each other. That's something I expect out of one of those 80s superhero punchfests like X-Men vs. The Avengers.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Fuck. I can absolutely understand why they want to go, but I can't think of anyone able to adequately replace them. I just hope they don't get turned into generic feisty teen-squad.

Bogart on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm sticking with the book. I like Vaughn, but I like the Runaways enough that I don't need to see Vaughn writing them, I just want to see them persist.

Unless it's that artist. I hate that artist.

*gears*

Stuart Moore and Jamal Igle, guys? They just left Firestorm mysteriously, and I don't think either of them are exclusives at DC.

Conditional_Axe on