As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pour me a glass of [Boardwalk Empire]

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    If anyone (who has murdered just a ton of people) deserves a way out on the this show it's Richard.

Whereas the list of people who need to die is getting pretty long.

Well, we know the history of most of the major characters, and when they all actually died. Lucky, Rothstien, Massaria, Capone, Johhny Torio, O'Bannon, etc., They're all just a Wikipedia search away. The fictional characters - well, their expiration dates are all mercurial things.

I think one thing we can all say for certain is:
    Richard Harrow is gonna be killin' a lot of people. This is one man with whom you do not fuck.

Richard is definitely my favourite character in the show:
    I had the biggest shit eating grin when he was piling up all his weapons on the bed. I really fucking hope nothing happens to his new lady friend.

I found that scene to be pretty unnerving.

so methodical.

steam_sig.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    If anyone (who has murdered just a ton of people) deserves a way out on the this show it's Richard.

Well, we know the history of most of the major characters, and when they all actually died. Lucky, Rothstien, Massaria, Capone, Johhny Torio, O'Bannon, etc., They're all just a Wikipedia search away. The fictional characters - well, their expiration dates are all mercurial things.

Richard Harrow is gonna be killin' a lot of people. This is one man with whom you do not fuck.

I had the biggest shit eating grin when he was piling up all his weapons on the bed. I really fucking hope nothing happens to his new lady friend.

so methodical.

Unstoppable if you will.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    did everyone watch the preview for the finale?
    unless that was supposed to be a creative snap cut, richard's rampage- with blood all over his face- leads him to margaret's bedroom door. my assumption with the guns was he's going to assault the brothel and get tommy, but maybe not. any cute theories?

• Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    It's done. Best Season yet.
    Harrow is fucking amazing, so glad nothing happened to him. I wish Gillian would have said "It was... Richard" when Nucky asked who did this, only to have seen Nucky and Eli's reaction. I called it that Gyp's second hand man would end up killing him after the beach scene in 4x10, and Nucky's maneuvering to pin Rothstein for his betrayal was fucking masterful. Also, Capone just layed waste to every motherfucker alive and Graham pretty much totally delivered on the promise of final line in last week's episode. The most exciting BE finale yet to the best Season so far, and it set the pieces up for an even better Season 4.

"That guy with the mask, what the fuck was that?" - line of the night

Silas Adams on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Damn, Richard. Just damn.
    No! Run off into the sunset with the girl! You'll make her understand. The longer you stick around the more likely you'll end up dead.

• Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Is that Peter Cullen?

• Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Is that Peter Cullen?

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    It's done. Best Season yet.
    Harrow is fucking amazing, so glad nothing happened to him. I wish Gillian would have said "It was... Richard" when Nucky asked who did this, only to have seen Nucky and Eli's reaction. I called it that Gyp's second hand man would end up killing him after the beach scene in 4x10, and Nucky's maneuvering to pin Rothstein for his betrayal was fucking masterful. Also, Capone just layed waste to every motherfucker alive and Graham pretty much totally delivered on the promise of final line in last week's episode. The most exciting BE finale yet to the best Season so far, and it set the pieces up for an even better Season 4.

"That guy with the mask, what the fuck was that?" - line of the night

verbatim from your AV club post?

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Shame about
    Richard and Judy. He probably won't run away with her anymore, now.

You've discovered me.

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    During the ambush of Masseria's men I couldn't help but cheer. Fuck that piece of shit. Right in the eye. Meyer and Charlie are gonna be mighty pleased with Nucky.

jkZziGc.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Just found the thread after watching the finale.. Very disappointed with this years finale, too ambiguous, and arty for me. I especially hated the end.

And yea, the reason I didn't like it wasn't because the plot for the episode was bad, it was more the writing/execution.. A lot of 'dead' lines, and less than stunning flow.. Richard's rampage was awesome, and made it watchable, as was the Nucky/AR stuff, and even Gyp/Gretchen Mol's little sub-arc for the episode was nice.. It just made it a very busy episode, and some of the language was very obtuse.

I also hated the end, can't say that enough. That last 5 minutes or so are just dull, and I don't get the point of the Nucky scene at the end. I know it's symbolism, I just feel like it was unnecessary and dragged/kinda out with a whimper. Very good season arc overall, and I agree they did a good job of setting up next season (which makes this show have much more legs than I anticipated. I wonder how much coloring outside the lines of history they're gonna be doing, and how much liberties they take. I also wonder if the stuff with Marg/Nucky was put in, so that they can have the option to 'clean the narrative' so to speak, of some of the unneeded baggage, that kinda bloats the show.

Again, not a bad episode, just weak compared to previous finale's, and the previous episode (which I think was the best of the series...)

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The previous season's finale is hard to top. The scene between Nucky and Jimmy is still my favorite.

Well, behind Richard's rampage, of course.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Just found the thread after watching the finale.. Very disappointed with this years finale, too ambiguous, and arty for me. I especially hated the end.

Dull? Arty? Really? Do you need some less subtle shows to watch?

I wonder how much coloring outside the lines of history they're gonna be doing, and how much liberties they take.

A LOT. 95% maybe?

Esh on
    you said you didn't get the point of the nucky scene at the end? what it seemed like to me was him eschewing his old life- where he'd strut down the boardwalk, peacocking, known to and worshipped by all. he melded into the crowd as if to say: my old life is over; i can't do that anymore. there's no more room for that sort of gangster in atlantic city.

i thought it was pretty powerful: now he's just another shmuck on the boardwalk.

Hacksaw wrote: »
    The previous season's finale is hard to top. The scene between Nucky and Jimmy is still my favorite.

Well, behind Richard's rampage, of course.

Yea, I know a big part of it was my expectations from how great the show has been (that 2nd season finale was great, and they executed it so well..) it was just how dead the end of this one felt, and how all over the place the entire episode was... Again, wasn't bad, just not as great as the last episode.
    Organichu wrote: »
    you said you didn't get the point of the nucky scene at the end? what it seemed like to me was him eschewing his old life- where he'd strut down the boardwalk, peacocking, known to and worshipped by all. he melded into the crowd as if to say: my old life is over; i can't do that anymore. there's no more room for that sort of gangster in atlantic city.

i thought it was pretty powerful: now he's just another shmuck on the boardwalk.

Yea, but he just SAID all of that in the last few scenes, so it was just an added 'reflection' moment.. I get it's use, it's just well trodded ground, and this show is so innovative and great on its own merits, it was just a weak shot, especially with the last scene with Margaret spelling it all out, and being a ?, but I believe they used that show they can figure out what direction to take it in the next season. Obviously, he wants security, and is gonna have some trust issues/try to keep a lower profile, but he'll always be the gears of the great big political machine in AC, and I get the symbolism aspect of taking off the flower hallmark, I just felt it was a weak end of the season.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    If they should have cut anything, it should have been the "We cant let anyone get close to us" conversation in the car.

The giving the dandy fellow the "You don't know me" look was perfect.

so methodical.

massive spoiler for the last episode set to inapporpriate music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5pYWb-Ppc

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2012
    I also hated the end, can't say that enough. That last 5 minutes or so are just dull, and I don't get the point of the Nucky scene at the end. I know it's symbolism, I just feel like it was unnecessary and dragged/kinda out with a whimper. Very good season arc overall, and I agree they did a good job of setting up next season (which makes this show have much more legs than I anticipated. I wonder how much coloring outside the lines of history they're gonna be doing, and how much liberties they take. I also wonder if the stuff with Marg/Nucky was put in, so that they can have the option to 'clean the narrative' so to speak, of some of the unneeded baggage, that kinda bloats the show.

Again, not a bad episode, just weak compared to previous finale's, and the previous episode (which I think was the best of the series...)

I was initially let down by the end until I realized they were actually quite masterful and meticulously directed. The entire bit with Nucky looks like the most dismal and unimpressive whimper that could be imagined.

and that's exactly what it was supposed to look like

The brilliance of the shots didn't hit me until I had begun making my mental critiques as the camera zoomed away from Nucky in the crowd. I did not realize it but I had completely lost track of where Nucky went. He vanished into the crowd effortlessly. Considering the massive scheme and massacre he just successfully orchestrated; a character with that much power and ability just disappearing says a whole heck of a lot about what is to come.

Take a look at that final scene again. There are a lot of props and extras used to mislead the eye and the path he takes is anything but conventional. A man like Nucky becoming a figure in the shadows is terrifying and a logical move after all that has just occurred.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If they should have cut anything, it should have been the "We cant let anyone get close to us" conversation in the car.

The giving the dandy fellow the "You don't know me" look was perfect.

The boring Margaret "i'm lost" scene should have been cut, other than that it was a perfect episode. They could have shown that she went through with the abortion in a better way.

Silas Adams on
  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    Was there a resolution to Van Alden? I can't remember his last scene...

edited December 2012
    Was there a resolution to Van Alden? I can't remember his last scene...

None that I remember,
    I don't think he featured at all in the last two episodes? Last was him getting forked (huehuehue) by Al Capone for selling booze in his territory?

Last episodeness:
    Holy balls what a blinder. Nary a scene that wasn't excellent or at least good, especially the finale with Thompson's red carnation being dropped on the floor of the boardwalk <3

Another special mention goes to the whimper that Rosetti's underling let out as he realised his brains were going to be blown out by Richard after their tussle. A proper stomach wibbler right thur.

Campy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure why Van Alden wasn't written out of the show altogether last season. Dude wasn't really relevant to any of the other storylines this season.

Robos A Go Go on
    I'm not sure why Van Alden wasn't written out of the show altogether last season. Dude wasn't really relevant to any of the other storylines this season.
    I assume he's going to make a come back in the fourth season as he becomes more "morally corrupt". One could imagine how he could easily still have a hard-on for Nucky, which could make for interesting watching if he rises up in the criminal world.

• RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I am guessing they keep Van Alden around as a fictional character in the Chicago area. If they have no fake characters there, they don't have as much leeway with the story.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Back tonight.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So good

I wonder how bad things are gonna end for Nucky this season. He was at the 'Albatross' hotel I noticed. I wonder if that's foreshadowing.

• yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Not an entirely proportionate response to "You people", but an understandable one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Holy God. The CGI when Nucky is on the Albatross balcony is TERRIBLE.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    At this point I'd be more shocked at a character having vanilla missionary sex than whatever kink they use next.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Love this fucking show

Esh wrote: »
    Holy God. The CGI when Nucky is on the Albatross balcony is TERRIBLE.

I guess it is terribly obvious. But I remember distinctly thinking there "wow, that looks gorgeous. Loved it. The coffee, the wind, the landscape and contrast of the building and its textures. I found it super warm and evocative.

I don't know what to make of this new guy at all.

steam_sig.png
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I don't know what to make of this new guy at all.

Same with pretty much the entire season so far. It seems very directionless, especially compared to the powerhouse season 3 was.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I have no clue why I clicked this thread, I haven't had a chance to start watching Boardwalk Empire (yet, plan to sit down and burn through some of it in the nearish future).

But I did. I clicked it, absent mindedly scrolled down and clicked a spoiler.

And all I made out was the word "handjob" before I snapped back to reality. That was my experience today.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    To respond to, well, myself: Based on a quick look at history of the era, chances are a lot of shit is going to go down in Chicago this season.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    I have no idea what's going on with Richard Harrow's plotline. Who are these people, and what connection do they have to Richard or anything else? Especially the two seen at the end of this latest episode...

sig.php?id=178