As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East MUST buy Nintendo DS games!

KuzonKuzon Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
From what I've read, it seems Nintendo DS seems to be the most popular handheld to bring. I'm looking into buying a DS and I'm curious what games are a MUST buy? I'm assuming Mario Kart 7 and some version of Pokemon? Any other great multiplayer games?

To help people from reading through every post, I've listed multiplayer games people have mentioned in this thread to bring to PAX East. The top group of games seem to be the most popular.

Pokemon Black/White 2
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Mario Kart 7
Starfox 64 3D
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Dragon Quest IX

Kingdom hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Resident Evil Revelations
Mario Party DS
Tetris Axis
Metroid Prime Hunters
Street Fighter 4
Dead or Alive
Kid Icarus Uprising
Mario Tennis Open

Kuzon on

• Daft IngenuityDaft Ingenuity Registered User new member
    Definitely those, if you're bringing Pokemon try to bring one of the Black/White series. If you like single player stuff, either of the Mario games are great. You'll pick up a ton of challenges whatnot through Spotpass. Speaking of which, visit Spotpass often. I can't remember the number, but it caps after a certain number, so make sure to hop in, do the little mini games, then you're good to go for more people.

Some of the ones that I would recommend would be StarFox 64 3D, Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and Resident Evil: Revelations. And if you can miraculously find a relatively inexpensive copy, The World Ends With You.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    did you mean streetpass? or is spotpass something else?

• TheCarpeTheCarpe Registered User regular
    Streetpass caps at 10, so you'll need to visit your plaza regularly to keep up (you will fill that 10 in minutes, easily. The "achievement" for passing 100 people in one day? You could have it by lunchtime at PAX.). As for Spotpass that varies from game to game. I *think* Mario 3D Land keeps 5 and MK7 keeps 10. Again, those fill up and stop gathering more until you clear them.

ah, so spotpass *is* something separate. stupid nintendo.

• grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Mario Kart 7 for sure,
    TheCarpe wrote: »
    Streetpass caps at 10, so you'll need to visit your plaza regularly to keep up (you will fill that 10 in minutes, easily. The "achievement" for passing 100 people in one day? You could have it by lunchtime at PAX.). As for Spotpass that varies from game to game. I *think* Mario 3D Land keeps 5 and MK7 keeps 10. Again, those fill up and stop gathering more until you clear them.

And this, although I was checking every minute before even knowing this. The streetpass alone will keep you plenty busy, I bought Mario Kart 7 for PAX last year (My First) and ended up never playing it, and just doing streetpass.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    Streetpass pretty much goes as fast as you care to check it. I got something like 300 last year, and I only did it one day and a few hours on another. (Not to mention thats with not figuring out the 10 person cap until well into that first day)

As for Mario Kart, its a good choice, but it has the downloadable feature too. So if you're tight on cash you can still play since so many people have it. I forget if its MK DS or MK7, but one of the two (both?) does. And was able to play that in lines last year.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • KuzonKuzon Registered User regular
    Well I just bought the Nintendo 3DS. Lucky for me it came with Mario Kart 7! I could see Star Fox 64 being a great multiplayer game.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Whoa, whoa. I think we should get some terms straight:

ALL DATA YOU GET FROM A LOCAL PERSON IN PASSING ON A 3DS IS STREETPASS

You get a green light and a green dot to notify you of new StreetPass content. You will be swamped by this at PAX.

New Mii in MiiPlaza? StreetPass Coin Rush Challenges? StreetPass. Mario Kart 7 Ghost Data? StreetPass. Ect, ect. There is normally a set amount of StreetPasses you can collect before you need to go in and import the data into the game. For example, MiiPlaza is 10.

INFORMATION SENT TO YOU WHEN CONNECTED TO A WIFI HOTSPOT IS SPOTPASS

You get a blue light and a blue dot to notify you of new SpotPass content. You will probably never get this at PAX, unless you connect to a hotspot for some reason.

This normally is the same sort of stuff you get when StreetPassing someone, just special content directly from Nintendo. Stuff you get from friends via wifi when not together is also SpotPass, like new Swapnotes.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Yeah, @chorazin, hence my "fucking nintendo" calling it nearly the same thing. Thanks for the additional clear-up.

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I loved having a 3ds last year... got it for christmas... and kid Icarus was pretty fun for pax...

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have a DS right now and I'm hoping for a 3DS before March.

This space for rent
    edited December 2012
    Just found out that Mario Party DS can accommodate up to 4 players with only ONE game! I've always liked Mario Party, this sounds like a good purchase for PAX East.

Kuzon on
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah, @chorazin, hence my "fucking nintendo" calling it nearly the same thing. Thanks for the additional clear-up.

Yeah, the names are stupidly similar, and I just didn't want people to miss out on MiiPlaza StreetPass hits if they thought they wouldn't have to go in and clear them out every once and a while. :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    So as a poor guy, I'm still rocking an OG DS. I understand that the 3DS can do download play for DS and 3DS games but with the obsolesce of the DS, do those download play lobby...things get filled up still? I've gotta have my Tetris fix.

So yeah, if anything grab Tetris and Advance Wars DoR if you're looking for cheapie games.

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    It looks like Fire Emblem: Awakening will be out in Feb, so I plan on bringing that and picking up units in StreetPass.

I found this list of multiplayer games. Helped me figure out what would be good ones for download play.

• HurglemanHurgleman Registered User new member
    On the topic of DS games and pokemon, Are the gym leaders at pax going to be playing Black and white 2 or 1? (or both?)

Hurgleman wrote: »
    On the topic of DS games and pokemon, Are the gym leaders at pax going to be playing Black and white 2 or 1? (or both?)

There's actually a thread for that http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166376/east-pax-pokemon-league-east-2013-legends

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    And this, although I was checking every minute before even knowing this. The streetpass alone will keep you plenty busy, I bought Mario Kart 7 for PAX last year (My First) and ended up never playing it, and just doing streetpass.

Same here! I had every intention of playing it but just played with Streetpass for most of the time. All those puzzle pieces!

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Pokemon (Black/2 or White/2)
    Mario Kart DS/7 (DS still has a decent following, I play in the tournament every chance I can)
    Tetris DS (Only one person needs it for multi, I'm sure tons of people have it on them)

Tetris DS, now that is one I will have to buy for sure!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Did anyone play Kid Icarus last PAX (well, if not East, what about Prime)? I bought it for $5 via Best Buy deal and gift cards and have yet to play.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TheCarpeTheCarpe Registered User regular
    Anyone else out there hoping the new Monster Hunter for the 3DS will be out by PAX for some LAN hunting goodness?

• Dan19721121Dan19721121 Registered User regular
    Ok... I just got a 3DS for Christmas... now I'm ready for PAX East. Ok maybe not completely... I'm such a noob. I suck at Mario Kart 7. Actually I never played Kart until today.

I got Pokemon Black 2 yesterday when we opened gifts. I can't wait to dig in and not be prepared for the PPL.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I'm most likely going to buy a 3DS before PAX. I know I'll be picking up either Pokemon Black or White 2, does anyone have any suggestions for some good multiplayer strategy games for it?

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Did anyone play Kid Icarus last PAX (well, if not East, what about Prime)? I bought it for $5 via Best Buy deal and gift cards and have yet to play.
    yeah I was playing that game a lot during pax east last year, as I just got it a week before... and there were a bunch of others playing... collecting all the trading stuff via spot pass was awesome

• PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Planet Puzzle League is a ton of fun on the DS but I think the game has gone out of print. It's identical to Tetris Attack from the SNES with a bunch of new modes and local/online multiplayer. Still if you can find a used copy somewhere before PAX East, go for it. I'll definitely look out for people to play with.

Just so you all know, i'm crushingly dissapointed that Animal Crossing won't be out until the middle of the year. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Psykus wrote: »
    Planet Puzzle League is a ton of fun on the DS but I think the game has gone out of print. It's identical to Tetris Attack from the SNES with a bunch of new modes and local/online multiplayer. Still if you can find a used copy somewhere before PAX East, go for it. I'll definitely look out for people to play with.

I wanted that game back in the day and never got it. Then I tried looking for it a year or two ago and remember it being pretty expensive (new, that is).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • iFishiFish Programmer CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking a few good games would be:
    - Mario Kart DS
    - Mario Party DS
    - Pokémon (any)
    - Metroid Prime Hunters

That's about all I can think of at this point. Those would seem like the prime DS games to bring

• PsykusPsykus Registered User regular

I wanted that game back in the day and never got it. Then I tried looking for it a year or two ago and remember it being pretty expensive (new, that is).

Cheapest used copy is currently $4 (+shipping) on Amazon.

Cheapest used copy is currently $4 (+shipping) on Amazon.

Only $34 for it new. If I get it, I'd probably just do that.

Any word from the official PAX Handheld lounge on tournaments or anything?

bYf6vNQ.png
    I haven't heard anything yet, but you could ping them on their twitter handle. It should be on here somewhere.

• rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    got me a 3dsxl and i'm looooving it.. kid icarus, mario kart, and street fighter 4 are my main games currently.. i wanna get mario 3d soonish.. can't wait to bring it to pax!! i hope theres a few peeps playing SF4!!!!

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Does anyone know if Dragon Quest IX is still active at PAX? I'd love to get some tags in, or even play some straight-up co-op. The copy I have now would need to have some time put into it before it would be useful for such things (curse my fickleness in selling games then re-buying), so I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Raughn on
    It has been the last couple years, but I have no clue for this year. It seems the type of game that would stay popular.

Chorazin wrote: »
    Just so you all know, i'm crushingly dissapointed that Animal Crossing won't be out until the middle of the year. :(

I feel the same way! I would have been all over Animal Crossing at PAX.

looks like pokemon X and Y will be big for East 2014 :P

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Raughn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Dragon Quest IX is still active at PAX? I'd love to get some tags in, or even play some straight-up co-op. The copy I have now would need to have some time put into it before it would be useful for such things (curse my fickleness in selling games then re-buying), so I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

As one of the guys running the DQ IX meeting the last couple of years, I suspect there won't be much activity. There was a nice sized group two years ago and last year there were only four of us getting together. You might be able to pick up a couple of tags, but I doubt much else will be going on. I'll try to walk around a bit with my game going so you know that's an option at least.