As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    You've got the female vamps on the throne and dark eldar bits to kitbash.
    Lots of people also use the Dark Eldar Lhamaean who is basically just a vampire on a round base.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the Lheamean. Just don't like the model. I haven't really found any Dark Eldar/Eldar or Fantasy Elf/human females that look decent.

The Lahmians on the Coven Throne are staying on the Coven Throne. The downside is I need a model that fairly well represents the main one in case the Throne bites it - which I have fairly well covered.

But basically, while I have that and the AoW Vampiress, I still needed a few more for variety and purely magic vampires, rather than fighters. So I'm trying to grab the old Lahmians, because they cover that base perfectly, and come in packs with a mounted and an on foot version.

Which also lets me at some point do a Lahmian on a Zombie Dragon for fun (because I don't see a need for two mounted on horse). Which should look hilarious with the Vampire side-saddling the Zombie Dragon.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Not a fan of the Lheamean. Just don't like the model. I haven't really found any Dark Eldar/Eldar or Fantasy Elf/human females that look decent.

The Lahmians on the Coven Throne are staying on the Coven Throne. The downside is I need a model that fairly well represents the main one in case the Throne bites it - which I have fairly well covered.

But basically, while I have that and the AoW Vampiress, I still needed a few more for variety and purely magic vampires, rather than fighters. So I'm trying to grab the old Lahmians, because they cover that base perfectly, and come in packs with a mounted and an on foot version.

Which also lets me at some point do a Lahmian on a Zombie Dragon for fun (because I don't see a need for two mounted on horse). Which should look hilarious with the Vampire side-saddling the Zombie Dragon.

Lahmian on Dragon I would say go for Elspeth Von Draken on Carmine Dragon from Forge World and paint it as needed. Beautiful model.

Or go with Monique De Noir from Reaper. It's not far off from the old Lahmian sculpts.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/4520
    (I actually own that one in particular. Picked it up off Jen a few years back. Great model.)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I do love the Elspeth model and Carmine Dragon and have been waiting for an excuse to buy it, but it suffers the same massive flaw all kits like that do - there's no foot version of Elspeth if the dragon bites it.

Also, I don't think I'd be able to do a good enough job on Elspeth. The detail on just here is simply staggering.

There's a few Reaper models I was looking at, but not as far as combat vampires anymore. The AoW vampiress and Mad Hat miniatures vampiress are covering that well for me. And I'm not going Reaper now that I have found some of the old Lahmians, as they were there to fill those gaps.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So, paints and books aside, if i wanted to field a small army of ogres, what costs am i looking at? Lets say 1000 points.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Depends on what you want to do for your core and hero. The battalion box has parts enough to make all Ironguts, which is near 700 points if you do so. Less if you make them normal ogres. Throw in a Tyrant or Slaughtermaster with some items on them, and you are very close to 1000 points for the battalion ($110) and the tyrant or Slaughtermaster ($40). Of course, that's a very basic army, but if you want to get it going as soon as possible, that's the easiest way.

• Options
    Ogres are definitely the cheapest army in Fantasy to start.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Basic troops that cost three to five times as many points as most others will do that.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I've been searching for something to use as a zombie giant. It's been hard, because not many people make good fantasy zombies these days, let alone something as niche as a zombie giant. While browsing a totally unrelated army log, I saw a link to Gribbly Miniatures. Who do a "Plague Giant". I think I've found my Zombie Giant.

Plague%20Giant%20-%20Painted%20-%20Front2.jpg

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Creative Assembly (the Total War guys) are going to be doing Warhammer games now.

May or may not mean the 40k stuff depending on how THQ does in the coming months, but we now have a shot at more than decent Warhammer games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I just came in here to post about that. Reading the press release it seems to specify fantasy.

Regardless; frothing.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    niiiiiice

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Total War in the Old World.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I want that on my computer now.

Wanting makes it happen faster, right?

• Options
    Hmm, total war engine with Licensed Dudes or total war guys recreating Warhammer math in my 'puter?
    Because one of those is better than the other.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hmm, total war engine with Licensed Dudes or total war guys recreating Warhammer math in my 'puter?
    Because one of those is better than the other.

No they're really both equally great. When Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was made I was absolutely dumbfounded as to why they went with someone besides the guys who actually make Total War games.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    When Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was made I was absolutely dumbfounded as to why they went with someone besides the guys who actually make Total War games.

Because back then, GW knew fuck all about licensing … well, pretty much anything (we're looking at you, Malal) … nor were they particularly clued in on how to make a contract that didn't screw them in the ass when they decided not to renew it after the initial period (coat d'arms still makes the entire original GW paint line, in the same pots, with most of the same names) and for a while they were gun-shy on the whole concept, before deciding it was OK to contract to small companies they could just buy if the deal got out of hand. Yeah.

• Options
    I'm dreaming arent I?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dreaming would be this news plus news that Talisman and Warhammer Quest were being made for PCs and mobile devices.

Wait.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    So my Lahmian vampires arrived yesterday. UK to Australia in 5 working days by standard mail. That's got to be a record.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Even the prisoners that founded your hellish nightmare island of poison monsters didn't make the trip that quick.

• Options
    Now I see the other set of Lahmians on ebay. $12us. Not bad. $35us postage. What the fucking fuck?

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    It'd be cool to have a blog list in the OP. If you run a Wargaming blog send me a PM with the info so we can make a list.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    What a nice surprise. While browsing at my FLGS, I found a set of VC battle magic cards. Never thought I'd manage to find a set.

• Options
    After a lot of searching around for a model to use as Neferata and finding none, Studio Mcvey finally released something. I wanted something pretty specific - robes and no armour (art for Neferata always depicts her without armour), no weapons (she's more of a spellcaster Vampire, you know, owning a book of Nagash and stuff) and an interesting pose.

morghanafixsmall.jpg

morghanascene4fixsmall.jpg

This model pulls off exactly what I wanted for it. I'll just have to find a use for the demon thing, which is a really nice part of the set.

• Options
    That's an awesome figure.
    Studio McVey makes some great minis

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    After a lot of searching around for a model to use as Neferata and finding none, Studio Mcvey finally released something. I wanted something pretty specific - robes and no armour (art for Neferata always depicts her without armour), no weapons (she's more of a spellcaster Vampire, you know, owning a book of Nagash and stuff) and an interesting pose.

morghanafixsmall.jpg

morghanascene4fixsmall.jpg

This model pulls off exactly what I wanted for it. I'll just have to find a use for the demon thing, which is a really nice part of the set.

Yeah, I just saw this the other day and was thinking I should pick one up for my VC army.

• Options
    Wow, this thread really died in the ass.

So, question for anyone who has Daemons - are Heralds lord or hero choices like they are HQ choices in 40k? Because I've been really, really digging the Raging Heroes Preying Mantis warriors since I saw them in the flesh at my FLGS, and I've been considering doing a Slaanesh daemon pact for Storm of Magic for my Vampires.

However, I really don't like the Keeper of Secrets model. While GW apparently have some badass plastic greater daemons in the works, I have a feeling they'll stick with the currect aesthetic, which is what turns me off. So I was thinking of doing the pact as - Valkia as a Slaanesh herald, removing any Khorne symbols (nice and convenient of GW to make such a badass daemonic female character, even if she is for WoC), Preying Mantis Warriors as the troops, and the Ultraforge Pleasuredemon (if I can find one) for the daemon prince. Then if I add anything else like Slaanesh Chariots, I'll just use Preying Mantis warriors as crew.

Is this doable with the daemon book?

• Options
    One of the guys at my old club ran a full Slaaneshi demon army just after 8th came out and I seem to remember him doing quite well. You probably want to stock up on seekers as I think their speed is useful. It's a bit vague I know, but I'm of the mind that it works.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    No no - I'm not asking for what's competitive. Just if it's legal to do a Storm of Magic pact using a Herald, a unit of Daemonettes and a Daemon Prince. Because those are the best representations I can find for the models I like. I probably just worded it terribly because fuck I'm busy at work right now.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Oh, ok. Gotcha.
    A quick trip to the fantasy section of Army Builder tells me Heralds are hero choices, but demon princes are lords.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh, I was expecting Daemon Princes to be Rare, like they are Heavy Support for CSM.

Also, I totally forgot I have Battlescribe on my phone with the Daemon list.

Anyway, that should work, unless I can't take a Daemon Prince in a Pact, which would suck.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I guess it depends if you need to follow the % system still with pacts

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Daemon Princes are, IIRC, fairly lame in Chaos Daemons armies. They're in an uncomfortable niche - enough killing ability to deal with small units but not large ones, large targets for artillery/firepower but not nearly survivable enough, expensive to upgrade to decent magic users, and points costed at just the wrong value to where making them really useful costs as much as a GD.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    My project for the last day and a half:

photo2ou.jpg

photo3ue.jpg

photopo.jpg

just finished putting a few buildings together too:

photo5yq.jpg

photohai.jpg

Tomorrows job, painting!

• Options
    lookin' good!

• Options
    Heh. I just remembered I still have the cardboard tower, from the Bretonnians vs Lizardmen boxed set, that probably counts as the original of that kit. I use it as a brush pot mostly (the ink didn't hold up too well under sunlight). And the little peasant hut from the same box too. Those were so awesome back then….

• Options
    I spent last night plucking a 3" deep pluck foam tray for my Black Knights, Varghulf and Corpse Carts. The shit of it is I only managed to pluck 9 Black Knight spots. Oh well, the standard bearer was going to need to lay down anyway due to the height of the banner, so it'll go in another tray. Now I need to pluck some more Tyranid trays.

Also, Forgeworld have painted shots of the Magma Dragon up. Holy shit I love this thing. When I end up ordering Monstrous Arcana, I'll probably grab this and a Mourngul.

magma-dragon1.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Forgeworld finally released some more Warhammer Forge stuff. Night Goblin heroes. Which look utterly fantastic.

nightg-com-p2.jpg
    nightg-com-p6.jpg
    nightg-com-p10.jpg

All 3 for £30.00.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Those gobbos definatly look fucking sexy, shame i don't really play fantasy anymore.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

This discussion has been closed.