As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Firefox Thread

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mousegestures is a pretty awesome extension. You guys should get it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    TabX (Adds a closing x to each tab)

I'm confused. Do you guys not use Firefox 2? It puts the X on each tab already. If you aren't using Firefox 2, then get out of my house.

You know, I've had it (TabX) installed so long that I never thought to check and see if it was actually added as a feature. I feel a little more stupid than normal right now.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    TabX (Adds a closing x to each tab)

I'm confused. Do you guys not use Firefox 2? It puts the X on each tab already. If you aren't using Firefox 2, then get out of my house.

You know, I've had it installed so long that I never thought to check and see if it was actually added as a feature. I feel a little more stupid than normal right now.
    It was automatically enabled when I installed Firefox 2.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man, does nobody use plain, vanilla Firefox? I have yet to find a plugin or extension I liked or thought was necessary.

Noscript and adblock are essential. Noscript for that extra protection, and adblock because who the hell wants to look at ads? I never have to see an ad on any site I visit regularly.

I use those two and foxytunes, which is awesome if you listen to a lot of music on your computer. I think that's all I have installed, though, I don't really need anything else.

I used to love the blackjapan theme but it never worked properly with Firefox 2. Does anyone know if there's a good version of it out there somewhere?

elevature on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I used to have Foxytunes until I got a better computer. Then I found that WMP 11 minimizes into a mini-player in the taskbar. I just use that now.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My Add-On list:

ColorZilla - For picking hex from colors I like
    DOM inspector
    Download Statusbar - Seriously, you need this
    DownThemAll - Also practically necessary
    Firebug - For making sure my websites work right
    IE Tab - Fuck you IE
    Live HTTP Headers - More webdev stuff
    Long Titles
    Menu Editor
    Pennypacker
    Tempomail - This is amazing and you want it. It gives you a temp. email address for registering at sites.
    TinyMenu
    VideoDownloader - Useful for easily snagging youtube videos.

I also use the Winestripe theme because I hate the way FF2.0 looked.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does IE tab add that cool little tab that you press to open up a new full tab? That by itself is the reason I'm preferring vanilla IE over vanilla Firefox.

jothki on
  • Options
    CeppCepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow, loads of useful stuff in here. I've also changed my menu system now :)

Anyway, in addition to the obvious ones like Adblock Plus, NoScript and DownThemAll I have-

Context Search - Expands the context menu's "search for" item into a list of search engines
    CustmizeGoogle - Enhance google search results and remove adds and spam
    Download Statusbar - View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
    RedX Control - Lets you move around/remove that stupid red x on tabs
    VideoDownloader - Lets you download videos from youtube, google... etc
    ViewMyCurrency - Converts currency on websites to the currency you want on the fly, useful when you're browsing import websites.

Cepp on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Does IE tab add that cool little tab that you press to open up a new full tab? That by itself is the reason I'm preferring vanilla IE over vanilla Firefox.

ctrl-T man, ctrl-T

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find myself annoyed by mouse gestures in Firefox, not because they're bad or not useful, but because I'm the only person I know that has them. So whenever I try to use someone else's computer I feel like a retard because I'm gesturing all over the place getting frustrated that it's not working :P

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    Probably a bit of a nub question (especially considering how long I've been using firefox) but how do you get the navigation toolbar on the same line as the menu? I was inspired by the tiny menu extension but just can't figure it out :s

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I have the same question and the solution was never posted

Also I have yet to find a theme for Firefox I prefer to the standard one, anyone got any suggestions?

bruin on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I nominate "All in one gestures" as best extension ever.

Leftclick then right click is forward, right click then leftclick is back. You can also hold down the right mouse button and draw gestures for different things. A line to the left takes you back, a line to the right takes you foward. A line going down opens a new browser window, while a line up opens a new tab. These last two can also be done on top of links and they will open that link in the window or tab.

When I rebuild a computer, this extension is always the first thing I get running (Firefox itself being the only thing before it), I'm talking before video card drivers and before anti-virus. It's that damn important to me.
    '

Likewise, AIOG is always the first thing I get. I have trouble using the internet without it. I've stripped it to the basics, just forward, backward, new tab, close visible tab, close all but visible tab, and clone tab. It's such a great add-on.

Also, anyone who uses it, what's pennypacker do?

EddieDean on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Unicron wrote: »
    Probably a bit of a nub question (especially considering how long I've been using firefox) but how do you get the navigation toolbar on the same line as the menu? I was inspired by the tiny menu extension but just can't figure it out :s

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I have the same question and the solution was never posted

Also I have yet to find a theme for Firefox I prefer to the standard one, anyone got any suggestions?

Err, can't you just right click the navigation/menu bar area, go to customize, then drag the address bar to the menu area? (Or am I an idiot and not interpreting the question correctly?)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    Err, can't you just right click the navigation/menu bar area, go to customize, then drag the address bar to the menu area? (Or am I an idiot and not interpreting the question correctly?)
    No.
    Yes. You'll want to unclick navigation toolbar in the rightclick menu on the file bar.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Web Developer extension is why Firefox will always be better than any other browser. No other browser is so friendly to web developers once you have that.
    iFox. Super minimalist, and it's Aqua-ish as you can probably guess from the name. I kind of modded mine to be less Aqua-ish, but I like the minimalism.

sonictk on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of my favourite extensions
    Imageshack Extension (add command for right click, upload to imageshack, then opens a new tab uploading the image)
    BugMeNot (a database of accounts for pages that force you to register to see content, just right click on the sign in box and click "login with bugmenot")
    Adblock + filterset g. (no adverts)
    TrackMeNot (messes with search engines trying to track your searches for market research)

LewieP on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

I hear that EasyList is better nowadays. I wasn't exactly sure why, but I switched anyway. There's a list of reasons somewhere, but basically the Adblock people don't like Filterset G.
    Imageshack Extension (add command for right click, upload to imageshack, then opens a new tab uploading the image)

OHSHI-Downloading.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »

I hear that EasyList is better nowadays. I wasn't exactly sure why, but I switched anyway. There's a list of reasons somewhere, but basically the Adblock people don't like Filterset G.

OHSHI-Downloading.

I shall check out easylist, and yes, Imageshack extension saves so much time.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

OHSHI-Downloading.

I shall check out easylist, and yes, Imageshack extension saves so much time.

I just tried to find it, and failed. Could you link to the specific add-on?

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I can't seem to get the site to load atm, but here is a google cache of it. Download link seems to work fine.

LewieP on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Where would I go to edit my saved form information?

There are times when I hit the first letter of my username on a website, down, and then enter, but I do it while my computer's busy being retarded, so it registers the first letter and then the enter. I'd like to eliminate some of the "k" entries.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When the selection (scroll down?) thing appears with possible input choices, press shift+delete to get rid of unwanted entries.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No.
    Yes. You'll want to unclick navigation toolbar in the rightclick menu on the file bar.

Ohhhhh, I got it. Thanks!

Also I'm now using all-in-one gestures and it is totally kick ass

bruin on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've just installed Leechblock it seems a great way to back up your rubbish will power to work, if your infront of a machine all day. You can right a list of groups like say:

*penny-arcade*
    *kotaku* <-- aside - I hate this site, but love it's frequent updates.
    *eurogamer*

Give them a name like "Game sites" then limit your hours of access. So I now have it that I can visit these sites for 10mins an hour during 1000-1230 & 1330-1900 and then it locks me out.

You can even make it disable the disable button during these hours. Or make it make you type out a 64 character random passphrase, or a chosen password.

Yeah, yeah, no willpower etc - but I'm going to give it a go.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Address bar on the same line as the menu? awesomesauce.

I'm very minimalistic when it comes to my firefox (or anything computer-related) and don't really install any extensions. I like things to run quickly and easily and not be cluttered.

I am going to check out some of the adblock stuff though. That could be nice

EDIT: How do I install Easylist? I installed Adblock but it doesn't recognize easylist..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EddieDean wrote: »
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I nominate "All in one gestures" as best extension ever.

Leftclick then right click is forward, right click then leftclick is back. You can also hold down the right mouse button and draw gestures for different things. A line to the left takes you back, a line to the right takes you foward. A line going down opens a new browser window, while a line up opens a new tab. These last two can also be done on top of links and they will open that link in the window or tab.

When I rebuild a computer, this extension is always the first thing I get running (Firefox itself being the only thing before it), I'm talking before video card drivers and before anti-virus. It's that damn important to me.
    '

Likewise, AIOG is always the first thing I get. I have trouble using the internet without it. I've stripped it to the basics, just forward, backward, new tab, close visible tab, close all but visible tab, and clone tab. It's such a great add-on.

Also, anyone who uses it, what's pennypacker do?
    Do you guys not have mice with thumb buttons? Front thumb button is forward, rear one is back, middle click on a link opens up a tab, middle click on a tab closes it, opening up a new tab is Ctrl-T...and why would I ever want to open a new browser window.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I vowed to myself that I'd learn to use mouse gestures and I never did... I really should. seems to damn... awesome.

I had an addon called, I think, cooliris installed. it's cool in concept, it opens up any link as an image in a window so you know what you are about to click... but it kept happening when I didn't want it to so I finally uninstalled it.

more details about my setup when I get home, not taht it's all that interesting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Also TinyURLCreator plugin is awesome, especially for those of us who use ventrilo. Right click on a page and choose 'create a tinyurl' which is automatically copied to clipboard.
    Sorry if this is being discussed late but I've used another method that doesn't involve using a plugin for this.

The same shortcut used for search bars can be used with tinyurl. Right click on the make tiny bar on the main page for tiny url and add a shortcut, mine is tiny. So I copy the url, open a tab type tiny and paste the url which instantly brings me to the tinyurl page with my new url.

Might be useful for people who are averted to installing more plugins.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a good junk mail filter or extension for Thunderbird?

I've recently been getting a lot of "eafjo Betsie fuck computer skdii" or "FREE WALMART GIFT CARD!" type of emails and no matter what I do, I can't seem to find a good way to catch them all.

Invisible on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When the selection (scroll down?) thing appears with possible input choices, press shift+delete to get rid of unwanted entries.

You don't need to press shift. :P
    Is there a good junk mail filter or extension for Thunderbird?

I've recently been getting a lot of "eafjo Betsie fuck computer skdii" or "FREE WALMART GIFT CARD!" type of emails and no matter what I do, I can't seem to find a good way to catch them all.

Click the little dot next to the message (under the flame icon).

MKR on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Firefox has one Extension that I love over anything else.

One.

It's called VIMPERATOR!
    Click, install, have sex with it.

varland on
  • Options
    FogDogFogDog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Quick question, is there a way for multiple tabs to be opened when is start firefox, for example penny-arcade, spoofee and woot to all start up in different tabs?

FogDog on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FogDog wrote: »
    Quick question, is there a way for multiple tabs to be opened when is start firefox, for example penny-arcade, spoofee and woot to all start up in different tabs?

Morning Coffee and PermaTabs both do this.

varland on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    varland wrote: »
    FogDog wrote: »

Morning Coffee and PermaTabs both do this.

Doesn't basic firefox do this? Just open up all those pages and then in options select "Use Current Pages" notice the plural.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Adblock Plus (The built-in EasyList seems to work great)
    Download Statusbar (Delicious, out of the way downloading)
    All-in-one Gestures
    Tab Mix Plus
    Google Toolbar (Quick Gmail access, clicking on search terms to find them on the page, autofill)
    IE View Lite (IE Tab doesn't work for all sites in my experience)

People are saying that NoScript is "essential" when in fact it is essentially just paranoia. The amount of protection that it gives you is tiny and the annoyance it creates is enormous. Running Javascript is actually quite safe; it's sandboxed rather well.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EDIT: After a little bit I've managed to "hack the Fox" and replace the word "Bookmarks" with a bookmark icon that I can click to get a drop down menu with my bookmarks in it. It's better than trying to make "Menu" and "Bookmarks" have the same font.

Any hints on how to do this one?
    I've got me a bookmarks button, but it opens the sidebar instead of doing a dropdown.
    No idea how to switch Bookmarks to a button using TinyMenu either =(

On an unrelated note, am I the only person who likes the tab bar at the bottom of the window?
    It makes much more sense to me having it down next to the windows task bar.

I'm not crazy... right?

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    varland wrote: »
    Firefox has one Extension that I love over anything else.

One.

It's called VIMPERATOR!

Click, install, have sex with it.

:q!

:P

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I got adblock plus working, and I must say that it is awesome. I may actually start using MySpace and Facebook again (no, no I won't).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Insanity wrote: »
    EDIT: After a little bit I've managed to "hack the Fox" and replace the word "Bookmarks" with a bookmark icon that I can click to get a drop down menu with my bookmarks in it. It's better than trying to make "Menu" and "Bookmarks" have the same font.

Any hints on how to do this one?
    I've got me a bookmarks button, but it opens the sidebar instead of doing a dropdown.
    No idea how to switch Bookmarks to a button using TinyMenu either =(

The bookmarks item I have is actually the bookmarks toolbar. When you add a new folder for bookmarks, it creates a folder icon, and then the folder name next to it. I just renamed the folder to nothing and was left with only the icon. I actually replaced the folder icon in my theme with the bookmarks icon in order to get the bookmarks logo there, so you can't do that without a little jiggery-pokery.

I think that's all that's necessary. Hit me up if there's anything else I'm missing.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Tango Firefox theme doesn't get nearly enough recognition. Actually, there are like five of them. I think this is the good one.

Non-native tabs annoy me so much. Seriously.

Other neat extensions I'm using I haven't seen mentioned here yet include "Download Sort" (.jpg goes into my images folder), "Fission" (progress bar in the address bar), "Google gears" (On the rare occasion I have to go offline and want to read my RSS feeds), "Resizable form fields" (Neat idea, only works half the time), and Chatzilla (As if I needed yet another IRC client).

I'm also rather fond of Stylish. It comes in quite handy when there's some design element of a site that just drives me up the wall.

Frem on