As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
This thread is for those of us who watch progress bars all day to talk shop. Discuss how much you love and appreciate your users. Wax poetic about how understanding management is of IT's budgetary requirements. Express gratitude that you never inherit a situation like this

OAXPe.jpg

TL DR on

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    My first ticket this morning is a user whose workstation's User Agent registry key keeps changing from (Default) - (Value not set) to (Default) - Opera/9.80 with a bunch of other DWORD entries. (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent)

She doesn't have Opera installed. I can change it, after which IE will display pages again, but it reverts after a reboot. Fun!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hmm. Check if there is an add-on installed in IE. I'm willing to bet it is something like that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah probably a toolbar.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hmm, deleted a bunch of startup entries, one of which included an AVG search plugin, and that seems to have resolved the issue.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Seems someone got infected by something nasty and now all attempts to go to our banks website get redirected to a similar site in all appearances:

Checked malware and av and they found something so I cleaned. I tried it again with no hits and it's still banging up against that site once more. I checked the hosts file and it's fine as well.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    DNS?

I haven't seen this in awhile, but try "IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN settings" and make sure there's no proxy set.

Also you may want to try TDSSkiller.

TL DR on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    None of that there. I scanned TDSSkiller with nothing. I checked other computers and it doesn't hit anything out of the ordinary. I also tried going to another bank site and it hits 85.143.166.90 immediately as well.

I'm going to reimage now as it has something really nasty in it.

Edit: Wiped and reimaged and now it's fine.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    8bitogre8bitogre San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Another decent rootkit finder, if TDSSKIller doesn't pick anything up, is GMER

• Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Yeah even if AV finds something, I'm still prone to error on reimaging over cleaning. I don't trust that there isn't something else in there that hasn't been found.

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    Just a matter of preference, I suppose. For a lot of my users, especially those in less-developed environments, a re-image would be a Big Deal and they aren't dealing with anything sensitive enough that a 1% chance of something going undetected by multiple scans and still able to cause a problem while their AV is running would be a serious concern.

• Options
    Outlet is out in the break room so our fridge and coffee maker don't work right now. I expect to hear a hundred jokes today about the ice cream in the freezer.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Really? I expect you won't have much time for those jokes, instead your boss is about to ask you what you know about commercial electrical work.

• Options
    Haha well luckily it looks like it was a breaker issue. Easy enough to fix. :P

• Options
    Fuck Symantec.

I went to their "Small & Medium Business" site and bought 15 licenses for Symantec End-Point protection (for $800), and apparently that license isn't for the software we have: Symantec End Point Protection: Small Business Edition. What the fuck?

• Options
    :rotate: Java

I mean :rotate: Symantec

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/forefront/ee822838.aspx

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Symantec are pretty shit for that, I've had it happen to me before and had to do a conference call with them and the vendor that sold it to me to get the licenses refunded and then sold the right thing. My wife works for Goodwill and they had a similar issue wherein they 'bought' software through techsoup - donated software at a great discount for education/nonprofits. They wound up with the wrong thing and had no recourse from what she tells me.

I think I bought the wrong thing from AVG once, I just phoned our rep at the time and she sorted it all out, refunds/charged out the right amount and re-issued me a new key. AVG is not as good as it once was, but they're pretty good customer service wise. Once our current license is up we're jumping ship to Forefront.

In other news, 5000+ messages in the Exchange queue about some polish conference, that was a fun way to learn I hadn't locked down the goddamn mail server to just receive from Postini.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Alright, a user needs a calendar, viewable in Sharepoint. Ideally, everyone can add items but those that she adds would be read-only for everyone else.

Possible, or will I need a separate 'read only' calendar for her stuff?

• Options
    Sounds like you want google calendar!

• Options

If they're contributors on the calendar but not editors, then they should be able to add but not edit the items belonging to others.

• Options
    Nice! I can't get a refund for Symantec over email I have to fucking call their dumbasses.

• Options
    When that happened to me, it was a reseller that sold it to me so we had to do a conference call with the reseller and Symantec, there were 5+ people on that call. I think I started it with, "I called and asked for subscription renewal on XYZ, and this happened - between you, make it work."

They did, but yeah, we ditched them not long afterwards. ~50 machines, we migrated to AVG and were spending less than half the price for a 2 year renewal vs 1 year with Symantec.

• Options
    D: Not sure which of those two is worse!

• Options
    Oh nice even better.... While walking to get the print-out... I got notification that I will be staying late today.

Our networking guy (who hooks up the outlets and stuff) has been mysteriously absent. Turns out he lost his vision in one of his eyes so that's why he hasn't been answering our calls. Well my COO called him and got him to come in today at 5pm EST (I leave at 4:30...supposedly). Here's the kicker: he can't climb ladders, so I'm going to be the one on the ladders doing all of the work. I'll be here until 8pm or so.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    The non-twist: he lost his vision because he cut corners and ran a cat5 cable through an electrical conduit that wasn't grounded properly and the electrician that was hired cut corners and used bare wires.

bowen on
  • Options
    I'm guessing it was diabeetus, but I like your answer more.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh nice even better.... While walking to get the print-out... I got notification that I will be staying late today.

Our networking guy (who hooks up the outlets and stuff) has been mysteriously absent. Turns out he lost his vision in one of his eyes so that's why he hasn't been answering our calls. Well my COO called him and got him to come in today at 5pm EST (I leave at 4:30...supposedly). Here's the kicker: he can't climb ladders, so I'm going to be the one on the ladders doing all of the work. I'll be here until 8pm or so.

Get a hard copy of your job description and just start writing all this down.

It will at least be lulzy when you go to ask for a raise.

• Options
    Oh the last time he came in I left at about 7:45pm... The day before my review... I ended up getting a 20% raise, which is stellar, but I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that they think they own me.

• Options
    I mean, yay you're making more money! But $7000 more a year is a sneeze when you're doing... I'm pegging you at, 4 jobs.

• Options
    At least 100% raise, come on.

$60K or bust.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I mean, yay you're making more money! But $7000 more a year is a sneeze when you're doing... I'm pegging you at, 4 jobs.

It was more like 4200 a year :P

• Options
    Ah well that's net not gross!

• Options

If he can't do the job, then shop around for someone else. Always pays to get a few quotes on jobs once and a while just to insure your contractors (I assume he's an outside IT person) are keeping up with current pricing.

• Options
    Always cheaper to get honky to do it for free!

• Options
    yeahh that's the thing. I don't know how I'm going to bill this. I KNOW they will want me to eat the time. But I might just come in late.

• Options
    But then again when I did that last time they fucking called me at 9am to ask where I was and were upset that I wasn't in yet so I don't know....

• Options
    Hour for hour at the worst. Should be time and a half though.

• Options
    Are you salaried? If not, then time and a half is standard for anything over 40 hours.

• Options
    IMHO double time if it's not part of your job description and a "favor."

• Options
    Hahaha... You guys are funny. Everyone knows you eat the time when it comes to Overhead unless you hate the company and hate the owners.

• Options
    Sorry, what was that? It sounded like a faint rallying cry for the global proletariat to Occupy your workplace.

This discussion has been closed.