As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Bourne Ultimatum (new trailer, new website)

• ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endo, I'm getting a surprisingly full view of your entertainment likes and dislikes, with only two posts!

I agree though. I think Tolkien's problem, though, is too much detail and not sluggy writng. It can be like those passages in the bible telling who begat who, and who's father hung out with the other guy's daughter and suchlike. It gets a bit too historical.

Threelemmings on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Exactly, and then I get confused because some of the names are similar, and are only mentioned once or twice.

I get lost, and then I get frustrated, and that's just not how one should feel while reading a book.

Endomatic on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Except in the movies, you get to watch him hit people.

So yeah.

That's a whole lot better.

Because my head doesn't hurt then.
    Ug.

devoir on
  • ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Exactly, and then I get confused because some of the names are similar, and are only mentioned once or twice.

I get lost, and then I get frustrated, and that's just not how one should feel while reading a book.

That's something that kept me from reading LOTR at first. I tried a few times, and one day it just kind of clicked. Part of that is because I mostly ignored the characters that you only saw once or twice. The only signifigant thing about them is the detail Tolkien lavishes on them, not their importance to the plot. I don't know what happened for me (other then getting older and more patient) but that realization helped a bit.

And devoir: some of the action in the book is much cooler than the movies, even. Bourne is a nasty fellow.

Threelemmings on
    edited July 2007
    And devoir: some of the action in the book is much cooler than the movies, even. Bourne is a nasty fellow.

:P

I was being mildly facetious. I've read all three of the Ludlum Bourne books, and forced myself to actually read those ones, as opposed to his other books like the Ostermann Affair (?), etc.

devoir on
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do wish they'd break down and call it "Bourne In the USA" though. And of course, they'd have to follow it up with "Bourne to Run" and then, for no good reason at all, "Nebraska." I bet Matt Damon will be retired by the time they get around to "Jason Bourne returns, again, with `The Seeger Sessions."

grendel824_ on
    edited July 2007
    Matt Damon's actually come out and said he's not interested in a fourth Bourne movie. I think, though, he said it did have legs to continue on without him. Been a week or so since I read that, so I may have it confused with something else.

devoir on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    Isn't Julia Stiles like 40 now?

and also a man?
    I've never liked her

Unknown User on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Underdog wrote: »
    Underdog wrote: »
    Now in regards to Potente?
    Her death is supposed to be the change from homemaker Bourne to lord destroyer Bourne. Her presence leads a lot of stability to his mind, and whenever he is away from her (bookwise, at least) he slides farther and farther into Bourne mode, slowly losing touch with the David Webb personality (the "real" Bourne). I think the reason it doesn't make much sense in the movie is that they were trying to adapt it from the books, and imported the scene with 0% context.

EDIT: In fact, it would have been very cool if he had disconnected from reality when she died, and not just got angry; the whole "I don't care if I die" Bourne where he screams at people and turns into the "Technician" (he freaks out a psychopathic serial killer) is some of the craziest stuff in the story.
    Marie doesn't actually die in the books though does she? Is your edit from the book or did I just forget a whole chunk of the 2nd movie?

It kind of applies to both.
    In the movie, she dies right at the beginning. In the book, she is kidnapped, and Bourne/Webb is given a job to do, with HIS condition being the instant he accomplishes it he can call a secure line and hear her voice within ten seconds. Without giving away too much of the story (cause its a good read) she escapes and the "who's the good guy, who's the bad guy, who do I trust" thing begins as people try to get her back before Bourne calls the line and doesn't hear her answer. Thus, him thinking her dead.

Oh shit, the book version sounds fantastic. I believe I shall employ my Chapters' employee discount and look into the series.
    Oh man, I can just imagine the bad guys shitting themselves when they realize Marie has escaped and that Bourne is SO gonna kick their asses if he doesn't hear her voice on the other end of the phone call. I would have liked to see this as the second movie's plot.

I've never seen the movies, but one thing you might want to bear in mind is that from what I've heard, the books and movies are pretty much nothing alike, even though the plot of the first is similar.

In the first book (pretty heavy spoiler)
    Bourne was never actually an assassin, he was a deep-cover CIA agent who had been posing as one in order to safeguard potential targets. Using the few bits of his cover that he manages to recollect, he bumbles into his enemies without realizing it, who then plot to turn the CIA against him while he's unable to explain himself to them.

jothki on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I'm slightly worried that the camera style look very similar to The Bourne Supremacy (shakey with fast cuts), and whilst I liked the film I thought the camera work stoped it from being a great film.
    Same for me. The car chase was the only moment in any movie I've ever seen where I had to look away from the screen because I was getting a headache.

SithDrummer on
    edited July 2007
    In the new trailer, did anyone notice the parkour-style rooftop running that appeared to be going on?

The jump through the window in particular has been noted by a number of my friends who have watched a fair bit of Parkour to be very similar in style to precision jumps.

devoir on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    In the new trailer, did anyone notice the parkour-style rooftop running that appeared to be going on?

The jump through the window in particular has been noted by a number of my friends who have watched a fair bit of Parkour to be very similar in style to precision jumps.

Does parkour really have any kind of exclusive style? I assume that if you're on rooftops, you're fleeing or pursuing something, and you're well trained, you'll end up doing that kind of thing naturally.

jothki on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The new Die Hard had a parkour bad guy in it, so I wouldnt doubt that they would throw one in. Might be hard to judge from just a trailer though.

geckahn on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Does parkour really have any kind of exclusive style? I assume that if you're on rooftops, you're fleeing or pursuing something, and you're well trained, you'll end up doing that kind of thing naturally.

It doesn't really— doing that kind of thing naturally is parkour. It takes a lot more practice than your well-trained person, though.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • MivonksMivonks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw both the Bourne trailer and the Die Hard 4.0 (because apparently Aussies wouldn't be able to understand 'Live Free or Die Hard' :P ) trailer.

The Bourne trailer made Die Hard look ... just like so much ass! :D

I read a lot of Ludlum in my teens (even got to meet him at a book signing) and they were great then. But they don't really do to well on the second read, although some of his plot ideas are excellent.

The best bit about reading Ludlum though, is trying to find where in the book the word expunged appears. :D

Most of the cinematic treatments of his works have been woeful, but the Bourne films - even while not following the original stories - have been remarkably good.

Mivonks on
    but it was so much easier ... when I was cruel
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ludlum is an incredibly tedious writer in my opinion, his plots are usually fantastic but his writing is below average.

tofu on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    It was awesomesaucetic, even though it slowed down in the last quarter.
    That fight scene against Desh excited every violent bone in my body.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The movie was good - my only complaint was the CONSTANT FUCKING USAGE OF THE HANDHELD CAMERA! Holy shit it got old really fast and detracted from what was an excellent movie.

It's miles better than Die Hard, it's way better than any other third installment of the summer by a huge margin.
    Yeah, the Desh fight scene was pretty solid. I liked the scene at the train station with Ross, the reporter. That was really cool in an innovative way. Also, Julia Stiles as a brunette was so fkn hot.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was good, but very unfulfilling. I expected a bit more in the way of answers. I've never read the books though, so I guess I can't complain much.

Edit: Also, there was a good bit less shakeycam in this one than in the others.

deadonthestreet on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Man, that was awesome, and I learned so much.

Things You Should Never Fucking Do to Jason Bourne:

- Kill his girlfriend
    - Try to kill him
    - Try to kill anyone he really needs to talk to
    - Follow him around if he doesn't want you to
    - Call him on the phone when he's in the middle of dinner
    - Bump into him and fail to say "excuse me"

These offenses are all punishable by ass-kicking and/or death.

Also:
    The part where he beat Desh in the face with a book and then punched the shit out of the book was just so very wonderful. Also: Every other scene that involved Bourne fucking someone's shit up.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked the movies and loved the scores by John Powell. While reading this thread I had "Bim Bam Smash" going through my head. Reviews say this one has a good score too so I'm pretty pumped about it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really liked the part when Julia Style's character dyed her hair and she looked exactly like Marie. Then Bourne looked at her and was all :|. I hope they make a fourth.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really liked the part when Julia Style's character dyed her hair and she looked exactly like Marie. Then Bourne looked at her and was all :|. I hope they make a fourth.
    In regards to that last point,
    A 4th would be good, but how many times can they play the "Uh, Bourne, it turns out that there is someone even HIGHER UP in this conspiracy. Government officials may or may not argue about who has access to what files.

Also, I totally thought
    Bourne and Stiles would get it on. They sort of hinted at it having happened in the past, when her character says "It wasn't easy with you, because of the past... do you remember anything?"

But other than that, I thought the movie was pretty solid. The shaky camera returns however, and often for no good reason. I recall one scene where they are showing some london train station from a distance, and the camera is bobbing up and down for no reason at all.

It still wasn't as bad as the car chase in the second one though.

Sceptre on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna go see this tonight. Unfortunately my friends want to go to Olive Garden before. I'm meh about Olive Garden.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    A 4th would be good, but how many times can they play the "Uh, Bourne, it turns out that there is someone even HIGHER UP in this conspiracy. Government officials may or may not argue about who has access to what files.
    Well, there are two more books.

deadonthestreet on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    About the throwaway "In the past" line with Julia Stiles, it seemed like she was in one of his flashbacks for a split second. While he was walking through the hallway in 415

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Well, there are two more books.

Really? Ooooooh. I thought it was just a trilogy.

As to that "the past" line, is it possible that there was a subplot in the book that was left out of the film that would have granted sense to that bit? It definitely seemed it was leading up to something that never happened. Anyone here read the book?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited August 2007
    Man, I just read the plot synopsis of the book on Wiki, and it's not the same story. Like, at all. About the only similarity is that there's this Bourne guy who's good at killing people.

ElJeffe on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, I just read the plot synopsis of the book on Wiki, and it's not the same story. Like, at all. About the only similarity is that there's this Bourne guy who's good at killing people.

And the books are poorly written while the movies are fucking awesome.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I read a page of Robert Ludlum once. I sort of wished I could use a magnet to wipe the part of my brain storing the memory.

ElJeffe on
    edited August 2007
    Well, the most recent two are by a different author. It was originally a trilogy then the first movie hit and the original author was dead, so....

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2007
    Well, the most recent two are by a different author. It was originally a trilogy then the first movie hit and the original author was dead, so....

Honestly, given that the movies seem to have nothing to do with the books, the existence of further books doesn't seem terribly relevant. And at this point, trying to muster up a reason why Bourne was being bothered again would be sort of lame. (Bourne IV: Bourne Harder?) I'll just revel in the awesomeness of the first three.

ElJeffe on
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, I could watch two more of these movies with the same plot but different fight scenes.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2007

Honestly, given that the movies seem to have nothing to do with the books, the existence of further books doesn't seem terribly relevant. And at this point, trying to muster up a reason why Bourne was being bothered again would be sort of lame. (Bourne IV: Bourne Harder?) I'll just revel in the awesomeness of the first three.

You know, honestly, I thought the ending lacked a little Oomph. Maybe a 4th/5th will clear that up for me.

Sceptre on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, the ending didn't answer enough questions.

Here's hoping for number 4.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2007

You know, honestly, I thought the ending lacked a little Oomph. Maybe a 4th/5th will clear that up for me.
    Well, the people who were ostensibly behind the whole operation are presumably going to be going to jail, and with the entire operation shut down, there's really no reason to keep going after Bourne. I mean, everyone who could get fucked by Bourne already has been, so there's nobody left to try to kill him. And Bourne's motives have always just been to get people to leave him the fuck alone, and to discover his past, both of which he's done.

So I suppose they could say that the guys behind Blackbriar got away and want revenge, or something, or come up with some new black-ops group that wants to recruit Bourne, but those would seem kind of contrived (and the last one would depart from the entire formula of the movie.) I can't conceive of a good way to add a fourth film, though I do agree that the end sort of snuck up on me and left me wanting more closure. The first film had an awesome fight scene and the head of Treadstone getting capped; the second had Bourne going, "Ha ha, fuck you" to the other head of Treadstone, and him capping himself. This one was just like, "So, Bourne, here's the truth," and Bourne is all, "Oh, yeah, I remember now," and then he jumps out of a window.

That said, if they came out with a fourth movie that was just 2 hours of Bourne fucking people's shit up and driving cars really fast, I'd be all over it.

ElJeffe on
    edited August 2007
    They could make The Bourne Canoodling, and have it be about Bourne's and Nicki's past.

ElJeffe on
    edited August 2007
    I don't know which I'd rather see.

The Bourne fucking peoples shit up and driving really fast.

Or The Bourne Canoodling.

Sceptre on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Incredible movie. Enjoyed every minute of it.

That being said, while Bourne Ultimatum marks the end of Ludlum's Bourne trilogy, two more books came out after Ludlum died: The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal. Not as good as Ludlum's stuff, but still good, it seems.

ege02 on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That was fun stuff.
    I liked it a lot.
    Sweet fight scenes.

Also, I always love the music they use in the Bourne movies.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo