As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Why do you not want to update?

People complaining everywhere. I'm afraid I don't remember the details exactly.

I've been running it on an iPhone 5, an iPad 2, an iPhone 4, and now an iPad Mini in my house, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

they are complaining about maps and not getting new features like Siri or turn by turn navigation.

Ios6 is great. Do it. No reason to avoid upgrading the iPad 2. It performs exactly the same as the mini and I posted this from that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I am, honestly, not pleased with Maps.

But the iOS upgrade is nice overall.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    The problems with Maps are entirely subjective. I've had absolutely no problems with them or turn by turn, and I have friends in other areas of the state and out of state that haven't had any problems either. Apple's been doing a great job with fixing problems that users report, sometimes even within the hour. But I really don't think Maps should be the reason to not update an iPad, especially if it's a WiFi only model.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lack of Siri is vaguely disappointing on older hardware but its not like they took it away or something.
    Maps would probably be disappointing if I ever used it at all but it's an iPad; it's "portability" gets me from the TV to the can and approximately no further. I've tried using it as a navigation aid but its just too big for walking around and no-one sells iPad car brackets.

Overall though, I've been using iOS 6 since day one and had no actual problems with the OS itself, other than the aforementioned missing features. It doesn't crash randomly or anything like that. No reason not to upgrade unless you really really like the google maps app.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

I never upgraded my Iphone 4 to iOS6, because I refuse to part with google maps. I switched to a Lumia 920 WP8 phone, which I loved, but bizarrely it didn't support the .wav files that my work voice mails get emailed to me as, so I exchanged it for an iPhone 5. Google as a stopgap built in a way to link to the web app as an app icon in your iphone. I think I would still wait until the maps app comes out before you upgrade, but I could care less about siri or turn-by-turn navigation. If those features outweigh the aggravation of losing google maps for you, I say upgrade. Otherwise wait until the gmaps app is released.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    If you have a friend with an iOS 6 device, see if your area is working fine in apple maps.

NYC and Raleigh/durham/Chapel Hill are just as accurate as google was for me. As in both made mistakes from time to time, but they are super friggin' rare.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I used Apple Maps on a daily basis on a daily basis in Upstate NY for three weeks when I recently moved and didn't know where anything was. During those three weeks the only time it led me astray, but quickly and accurately rerouted me, was when it gave me the wrong exit number and name for where I needed to get off. I was familiar enough with that particular area to know that the next exit would still get me where I needed to go, so I lost at most 5 minutes. The only real complaint I have which may be related to using Pocket Casts and my podcast manager/player is that Apply Maps lowers the volume instead of pausing the podcast when it's giving me turn-by-turn updates.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Quick question for you folks. I'm pretty new to Apple stuff (I've only owned a 3rd Gen Nano and a Shuffle).

We've been our niece's weekend home for the past few months due to some family issues and a week or two ago her iPod touch (4th gen, 8gb) fell off her lap onto the ground from the car while she was getting out and the screen cracked. It still works, just has some cracks in the glass. I checked online and it looks like a screen will cost $40ish to replace myself - but I also tried calling the Apple store and they won't even tell me what it would cost without an appointment. She lives somewhat out of town, and frankly I don't want to get her hopes up that they can fix it cheaper. Does anyone know if there is any point in going into the store or is that going to be more $$ for her than doing it ourselves? Money is tight for her and her parents are not overly helpful in any way.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    You might be better off doing the repair yourself if you're comfortable doing it, though I did see an ad at a local Radio Shack that they'll do repairs on phone screens, they might handle iPod Touches, too.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Quick question for you folks. I'm pretty new to Apple stuff (I've only owned a 3rd Gen Nano and a Shuffle).

We've been our niece's weekend home for the past few months due to some family issues and a week or two ago her iPod touch (4th gen, 8gb) fell off her lap onto the ground from the car while she was getting out and the screen cracked. It still works, just has some cracks in the glass. I checked online and it looks like a screen will cost $40ish to replace myself - but I also tried calling the Apple store and they won't even tell me what it would cost without an appointment. She lives somewhat out of town, and frankly I don't want to get her hopes up that they can fix it cheaper. Does anyone know if there is any point in going into the store or is that going to be more $$ for her than doing it ourselves? Money is tight for her and her parents are not overly helpful in any way.

Having a third party replace it for you is always going to be more expensive because you are paying for labor as well as parts.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Having a third party replace it for you is always going to be more expensive because you are paying for labor as well as parts.
    Right - but if Apple could do it for $50ish I'd be willing to pay the extra to avoid having to do it myself. I may just find out the next time we'll be at the mall and make an appointment to get pricing. It seems completely ridiculous they can't just tell me "4th gen touch screen replacement is $79" or whatever it might be.

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I haven't upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS6 because my dad upgraded his 4 and now apparently the phone is useless. He claims it runs slower, the battery drains faster, and bizarrely he says that the phone will occasionally not ring, which is a big issue for him because all of his work comes from those phone calls. Now most likely the update had nothing to do with the phone issue, but the two former problems I've seen echoed around the web ever since the update hit. The risk of ruining my phone while losing Google Maps at the same time means I'm sticking with iOS5 or whatever the previous version was.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    RE not ringing: there's a setting under Notifications –> Do Not Disturb that blocks incoming calls on a schedule you can set. It's been there forever but didn't actually work, at least not properly, before 6.0.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Right - but if Apple could do it for $50ish I'd be willing to pay the extra to avoid having to do it myself. I may just find out the next time we'll be at the mall and make an appointment to get pricing. It seems completely ridiculous they can't just tell me "4th gen touch screen replacement is $79" or whatever it might be.

For what it's worth, Apple was charging $199 for iPhone screen replacements last time I checked a year or so ago. Of course, they don't actually replace screens, they just swap it out for a new unit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

For what it's worth, Apple was charging $199 for iPhone screen replacements last time I checked a year or so ago. Of course, they don't actually replace screens, they just swap it out for a new unit.

Right, it's cheaper for them to just hand you a refurb and ship the broken one over to their repair center (which might just be the backroom of the store), rather than repair it on the spot.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My iPad 4 is a glorified comic book and secondary note taking device.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    So I returned my wifi mini and picked up the LTE version of the same today. I got so annoyed with having to pull my phone out of my pocket and re-enable broadcasting of the SSID (iPhones stop broadcasting after 90 seconds of inactivity for security/battery reasons) every time I wanted to check something on my iPad that I can afford 10 bucks a month to just put the iPad on my mobile share plan.

I had zero desire to get the full sized iPad instead. The mini is great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    So I returned my wifi mini and picked up the LTE version of the same today. I got so annoyed with having to pull my phone out of my pocket and re-enable broadcasting of the SSID (iPhones stop broadcasting after 90 seconds of inactivity for security/battery reasons) every time I wanted to check something on my iPad that I can afford 10 bucks a month to just put the iPad on my mobile share plan.

I had zero desire to get the full sized iPad instead. The mini is great.

I did what I said I wouldn't and bought a mini. I haven't touched my full sized iPad since and am considering selling it now. The Mini is just such a perfect size for everything. Literally the only thing I think I'd miss is full-size comic viewing on the Retina screen.

I went with a 16gb Black Verizon model because Best Buy had an open box for $400.

minor incident on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I really want a mini but I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell my 3rd gen. Craigslist has a ton of them so I'm not sure how well it'll sell there, and there is nothing like Gazelle in Canada. Any other ideas?

edited November 2012
    elevature wrote: »
    I really want a mini but I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell my 3rd gen. Craigslist has a ton of them so I'm not sure how well it'll sell there, and there is nothing like Gazelle in Canada. Any other ideas?

As much as I hate Ebay, it's probably the best bet for high-price items like this. Even with their fees, you'll clear more than any trade-in place will give you, and you don't have to worry about in-person exchanges from Craigslist.

minor incident on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

As much as I hate Ebay, it's probably the best bet for high-price items like this. Even with their fees, you'll clear more than any trade-in place will give you, and you don't have to worry about in-person exchanged from Craigslist.

And you can browse the "completed auction" listings to see how much similar items have sold for. I think the only thing I use ebay for is selling my Apple products after an upgrade. Even the stuff that I've broken fetches a pretty good price from people looking for parts.

KalTorak on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular

As much as I hate Ebay, it's probably the best bet for high-price items like this. Even with their fees, you'll clear more than any trade-in place will give you, and you don't have to worry about in-person exchanges from Craigslist.

What are their fees like? I've never sold anything on eBay.

edited November 2012
    New iTunes is fantastic if only because it doesn't run like complete shit anymore. Very snappy performance, and clean looking as well. I just wish I could resize artwork, especially for movies. I miss that little slider.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png

What are their fees like? I've never sold anything on eBay.

A percentage of the total sale. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I want to say around 5% or so. Plus a nominal fee for the listing.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!

Trying to sell my iPhone 4 was maybe the worst experience I've had with a website ever.

Seriously, 4chan leaves me feeling warmer and happier inside.

• Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
    I prefer iTunes 11 over 10 in every way except for the new music search. Any way to make it iTunes 10 style where the music you're looking for just shows up as you type it in the search bar, and no album/artist lists popped up?

Can anyone recommend a decent video player app for 720p MKV files (and other things, but those are the most intensive I'll be using)

No, I already have steaming apps (Plex and AirVideo), but I need something for local video playback at the gym where there's no wifi and my reception is terrible.

I've tried ECPlayer and a couple of others. They all stutter and lock up on 720p files despite my 4S being perfectly capable on paper.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I use Powerplayer for those purposes. Has run well enough for me, though I'll admit I don't frequently watch video on my iOS devices.

floobie on
    floobie wrote: »
    I use Powerplayer for those purposes. Has run well enough for me, though I'll admit I don't frequently watch video on my iOS devices.

I'll check that out, thanks!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Has anyone come across a music/audio file that plays fine through the headphones but refuses to play through the iPhone (4) speaker? It's really bizarre. Sounds like a bunch of very quiet badly-encoded gibberish through the speaker, but plug in the headphones and it's all good.

It also plays fine through AirPlay.

Multiple user accounts in the Gmail app? Hell yeah! New white icon? ehh...no.

Youtube app finally has iPad and iPhone 5 support too.

steam_sig.png
    The thing that kills me about the gmail app is that there doesn't seem to be a way to go to your previous/next email without backing out to your inbox and clicking back in to another message.

Am I missing something?

Also Mail.app does a waaaaaaay better job of handing zooming in/displaying the content on a message. Zooming in gmail zooms and that's it.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The thing that kills me about the gmail app is that there doesn't seem to be a way to go to your previous/next email without backing out to your inbox and clicking back in to another message.

Am I missing something?

yes, you are. simply swipe from the right border to the middle for the previous mail, and from the left border to the middle for the next mail

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Am I missing something?

yes, you are. simply swipe from the right border to the middle for the previous mail, and from the left border to the middle for the next mail

I'm trying that and it does nothing.

Same here.

Speaking of Gmail...with the 'new' Gmail, is there no way to widen the left sidebar column?

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    hm. shit.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Was feeling ambitious and in the mood for a project, so I made a pouch for my iPhone 5.
    wteIs.jpg
    BpZvH.jpg

I made four card slots because I had the room, but there's enough give to the slots that I could double and probably even triple up on cards if I wanted. The fabric for the slots is sewn onto a thin, textured material that has a bit of stick to it so that the cards don't slide around too much when the phone is out of the sleeve (they're held pretty tight when the phone is in there). The pocket on the back is for cash and is made out of some sort of semi-elastic fabric (I think it's spandex), so I can fit a decent sized wad of cash and even my EarPods in there. I also lined the inside with a microfiber cloth, which wipes down the screen when I slide the phone in and out. It's a pretty snug fit and is thicker than I was expecting thanks to the thin foam between the inside and outside layers that I sewed in for some stiffness, so if it does take a tumble or something by accident the phone should escape unharmed.

steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Does the new gmail app have banner notifications?

Or still none?