As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam Box / Big Picture Mode] Build & set up your own living room PC gaming console!

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6449/amd-trinity-buyers-guide is a pretty good guide to system build for Trinity.

$400-500 for a computer capable of playing most games at 720p is a pretty good deal.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I think it's a solid move if you want a budget oriented box with some room for expandability(discrete card) down the line.

They'll never be knockout performers compared to a big beefy intel quad and a discrete gpu but they can get the job done

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Doing some poking around the various computer store sites just for fun.

It should be possible to do a Trinity A10-5800k build for $350

So think of it this way, you could get a Wii U, or this.

oh?

assuming that's without windows, but it's still pretty dang good.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited December 2012
    oh?

assuming that's without windows, but it's still pretty dang good.

A10-5800k - $120
    Motherboard -$55
    8gb ram - $35
    HDD - $60
    Case/PSU - $50
    Total - $320 no windows

and win8 can be had for as low as $15 if you bought anything with win7 on it in about the last year, or the $40 upgrade version should work on new systems.

also just picked parts for lowest price, and not much else, but it shows what is possible if you shop around a bit, and get better quality if you wait for sales.

Foomy on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the nice thing about the little niche they're carving out for themselves is that it allows you to pick up one of those tiny ITX cases that has no room for a discrete card.

The real problem is that you might get burned if you want an upgrade. Something tells me an 1155 system with a discrete GPU slot will age better.

oh yeah win8 is actually like, affordable.

dang that's a tempting little list there, and i've been wanting an FM2 system to play around with anyway.

Thanks foomy, thanks

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    oh yeah an 1155 system will go great for a long long time

of course an 1155 system doesn't clock in at barely more than an actual console price

m6eoUgQ.jpg

dang that's a tempting little list there, and i've been wanting an FM2 system to play around with anyway.

Thanks foomy, thanks

hehe that list is really tempting me as well, I need to upgrade my htpc, so I would just want the mobo/ram/cpu though.

But damn that makes for one cheap computer, with surprising performance.

if it's say a second computer you have in the house, I would maybe spend a little more on a bigger case/psu and then just drop second-hand gpu's in it as you upgrade your main system.

I'd need a TV to pair it with first....

dang this is gonna get expensive

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I'd need a TV to pair it with first....

dang this is gonna get expensive

and the TV will cost more then the computer too.

oh of course.

Although if you're shooting for 720p gaming you don't need a whole bundle

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    oh of course.

Although if you're shooting for 720p gaming you don't need a whole bundle

I suppose the Trinity Steambox won't be playing games at 1080p anyway, maybe you can save some money and just get a 720p tv.

That was my thinking

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Foomy wrote: »

Thanks foomy, thanks

hehe that list is really tempting me as well, I need to upgrade my htpc, so I would just want the mobo/ram/cpu though.

if it's say a second computer you have in the house, I would maybe spend a little more on a bigger case/psu and then just drop second-hand gpu's in it as you upgrade your main system.

I'd be worried about fitting a double slot gpu into an itx case though...

Realistically i already have a spare computer i could run as a steambox, i just like the idea of the small form factor low noise dedicated purpose machine.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited December 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »

Thanks foomy, thanks

I'd be worried about fitting a double slot gpu into an itx case though...

well that's why you could get a regular micro atx tower case, I was just going for something really small/cheap on that build list. But something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147099 would leave room for a gpu upgrade.

that motherboard I listed was micro-atx, as that's the cheapest. Personally I would go with a mini-ITX build, but I'm crazy, and theres only like 2 motherboards out at that size right now.

Foomy on
    miniITX in a sugo 05

yeah this is what i want

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    If a Mini ITX build without any huge compromises compared to ATX is what you're after, look no further than the Bitfenix Prodigy. It's not particularly entertainment center sized (really, it's more like a really squat mid tower with funky handles), but it actually does not look too bad when placed next to one. You'll still be limited to one expansion slot and probably be light on SATA ports, but it's one of the easiest cases I've ever worked with. It takes full sized ATX power supplies, and you could easily cram an 11" double slot graphics card in there.

Dehumanized on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    When shoving a large graphics card in a small case, just be sure to leave enough room for ventilation. I'm sure the cases are built with this in mind but if you're then squeezing it in to your entertainment centre under your TV you need to give it enough room to breath.

The alternative to all this of course is if you have a handy cupboard nearby. Wireless controllers + long HDMI cable = invisible steam box!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Also beware going for something that'll just play games at 720p. I went that route initially. Nice small mAtx case, good enough to play things at 720p with decent detail. Then I started thinking "hmm, my TV is capable of 1080p, if I just put another graphics card.... and it can handle 3D too..."

Two weeks later I have a new larger case, PSU, motherboard and nvidia graphics card.

I'm sure given another year or so I'll have found another excuse to upgrade.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    haha I actually built this machine just last year and I got the card early this year so yeah, its definitely a thing to be cautious of when building your own rigs.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aren't there 90 degree PCI-E slot adapters so you can lay your videocard down flat? One of those in a nice slimline microATX case could be about the same size as an Xbox360.

So, it turns out my wireless 360 controller works through 25' of empty space, walls, and neighbors' interference.

Rather than splash $500 on a steambox, I think I'll start with a $25 on a 30-foot hdmi cable from monoprice and see how this goes.

So, it turns out my wireless 360 controller works through 25' of empty space, walls, and neighbors' interference.

Rather than splash $500 on a steambox, I think I'll start with a $25 on a 30-foot hdmi cable from monoprice and see how this goes.

If you want to go really fancy you could get something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/257588-xenta-wireless-hdmi-kit-whdi-hdmi-transmitter-and-receiver-ws-av511wh?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

No experience in how well they work though.

I've heard that they're mostly LOS-based, and I don't mind dragging a cable across the hallway for the odd couch-based PC gaming session.

I received my 10m cable from Amazon today, and it's beefy and good. Unfortunately, something on my build is all kinds of fucked up. I have a variety of HDMI ports, including one on the mobo and one on each of my Crossfired 6850's. The mobo port won't give me sound, the primary 6850 gives audio but the video flickers, and the second 6850's hdmi port doesn't get detected at all. So unless I want to blare my PC speakers across the hallway (and probably piss off my neighbors) I won't be doing this anytime soon...

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I use a 35-foot HDMI to DVI, have between multiple apartments. It works very, very well, and does carry sound (a lot of people forget many video cards can carry audio over DVI). The biggest obstacle is my comparatively cheap wireless KBAM set, which has a shorter range.

Yeah I have big picture mode and a wireless controller which works great.

I'm pretty sure that something's biffed up with one of my cards, and the fact that I can't even get onboard HDMI to show up as a playback device is indicative of...some kind of problem.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'd try uncrossfireing them to see if the second card has the same video flicker problem.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Tried it, no dice :(

• ArxcisArxcis Registered User new member
    Hi all, I've made a quick tutorial on Youtube on how to set up a SteamBox, software-wise, so you dont have to use anything but your controller to operate the PC.

Please head over and check it out, leave comments n'stuff :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MXMR29bDudk

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So I just dropped a rather basic graphics card and a faster hard drive into my HTPC to check out Big Picture Mode... it's nice so far. A bit rough around the edges (no big picture login screen ugh), but a good start. One thing I found is that it really doesn't play nice with Windows 7 UAC, though, so I had to turn that off in order to install games.

Here's my specs. Feel free to laugh at my ghetto rig.

AMD Phenom II 960T
    Asus 780G-based motherboard
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid hard drive
    HIS iCooler Radeon 7750 video card w/ 2GB DDR3 RAM

All attached to a 47-inch Vizio 1080p 120Hz TV.

Now I just need to take the time to integrate it properly with XBMC, and I'm all set

xderwsaxganu.png
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanna know if its possible to do a gaming PC with the dimensions of a console. I've seen some ITX cases that fit the build but internally, they leave a lot to be desired.
    This a quick one I spotted on amazon

I know I'm way late to reply to this, but if you want a gaming PC with a console-like form factor, I think your best bet is the Alienware X51. I know, real gamers don't use pre-built systems, but it has quite a nice look and is very upgradeable for the size; it fits a standard GPU, and I believe the motherboard is Mini-ITX as well. About the only thing proprietary on there is the PSU (speaking of which, try to get one with the 330W PSU, to save yourself some headaches trying to find a replacement later).

If you're not so worried about a console-like footprint, but just want to keep things relatively small, look at the Silverstone Sugo and Grandia cases. Sugo is their Mini-ITX line, Grandia is their Micro-ATX, and both are about as small as you'll get while still providing enough space for a GPU. I'd particularly recommend the Sugo SG-05BB.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've been trying to put together a cheapo HTPC with gaming capability but it's impossible for me to keep the cost down. Something I did, discover, though:

I was looking at this motherboard too, but I discovered today that it has no HDMI port! You'll either need to go for something like -this- with an onboard port or get an entry-level card like a 650 tha thas one.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    It has dvi, just use a dvi to hdmi adapter. You dont get the ease of a single cable for audio and vid, but its the exact same signals on the 2 seperate cables as would be on hdmi.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    It has dvi, just use a dvi to hdmi adapter. You dont get the ease of a single cable for audio and vid, but its the exact same signals on the 2 seperate cables as would be on hdmi.

A lot of the newer video cards do audio out even with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Thats what Im doing with my ~4 year old ATi 4850HD.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    @CuvisTheConqueror I'm with you on the X51. When they originally released it, limited configuration options made it a "meh" for me, but now that you can order a more reasonable CPU to go with the GTX 555 I'm much more charitably inclined toward it. I'm considering grabbing a refurbished one myself.

The only issue with it as a console "replacement" is the cost, but a lot of the refurbished ones on sale are pretty reasonably priced, considering what you get.

Alecthar on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Aren't there 90 degree PCI-E slot adapters so you can lay your videocard down flat? One of those in a nice slimline microATX case could be about the same size as an Xbox360.

Riser cards, and yes, but they're not common in most consumer-focused retail channels (they exist these days mostly for server usage) and most consumer-focused cases don't make much use of them.

It's actually one of the reasons the X51 is so cool, because (as far as I can tell from pics) it uses a standard form factor video card and ITX mobo with the video card connected via riser card. It's an excellent way to maintain that form factor, with the only real issue being power delivery. Alienware uses a really bigass (up to 330w!) external PSU. I'd love to see a case that finds a good way to stick SFX, Flex ATX or 1U PSU in there, so that it can keep the same height (roughly).

edited December 2012
    Alecthar wrote: »

Riser cards, and yes, but they're not common in most consumer-focused retail channels (they exist these days mostly for server usage) and most consumer-focused cases don't make much use of them.

It's actually one of the reasons the X51 is so cool, because (as far as I can tell from pics) it uses a standard form factor video card and ITX mobo with the video card connected via riser card. It's an excellent way to maintain that form factor, with the only real issue being power delivery. Alienware uses a really bigass (up to 330w!) external PSU. I'd love to see a case that finds a good way to stick SFX, Flex ATX or 1U PSU in there, so that it can keep the same height (roughly).

I checked on Dell's page, and it does claim the X51 uses a Mini-ITX board. Which means you could re-use the case for your next build too. Which is pretty awesome.

And it definitely looks like it uses a riser card, since the graphics card is horizontal above the mobo.
    Alecthar wrote: »
    @CuvisTheConqueror I'm with you on the X51. When they originally released it, limited configuration options made it a "meh" for me, but now that you can order a more reasonable CPU to go with the GTX 555 I'm much more charitably inclined toward it. I'm considering grabbing a refurbished one myself.

The only issue with it as a console "replacement" is the cost, but a lot of the refurbished ones on sale are pretty reasonably priced, considering what you get.

You want an expensive console replacement, look at the ASRock VisionX. I mean, it has a reason to be so expensive, since it's about the size of a Mac Mini and uses laptop parts, but damn. Also, totally not upgradeable (since it uses laptop parts and all).

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
    Appropos of nothing, but I was reading this, and all I could think of is how my relatively low-end Big Picture box completely outclasses the new, powerful, awesome next-gen consoles.

http://kotaku.com/5971338/

xderwsaxganu.png