As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Luxury Cars are the Only Cars Worth Driving

TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Social Entropy++
After much deep thought and pondering, I have come to the conclusion that luxury cars are they only cars worth driving. Unfortunately, with the sum of $2000 in my bank account something and fine as a new luxury car appears out of the question for the moment. I have seen some old luxury cars from the 80s in the paper for $2000 or less, and I am definitely considering buying one. I pretty much require a fancy car with leather seats and the like, which I sure as hell won't find in an old ass Honda or Chevy.

Right now I just need some model recommendations to look into for a used luxury car that runs, is less than $2000, and has leather seats. What are your suggestions? Also this is a general luxury car thread so feel free to discuss your luxury cars or discuss how great luxury cars are here.

Here are some pictures to get us started.

2005bentleyarnagetfrontpm1.jpg

99rollsroycephantomcv0.jpg

Above are the two flagships of luxury, a Bentley and a Rolls Royce.

Treeloot on

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2007
    I drive a truck and it runs, which is my definition of "luxury"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get a rickshaw. I doubt importing an authentic china-man can be that expensive.

Pb on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    okay

Kovak on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't understand

you want to pay money to look like an enormous asshole?

can't you do that for free?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Take the bus

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't understand

you want to pay money to look like an enormous asshole?

can't you do that for free?

No, he wants to look like an enormous asshole, but he doesn't want to pay a lot of money!

Pb on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I drive an Acura, it is way worth driving. Is that luxury?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Take the bus

Last time I checked the bus is shitty whereas a luxury car is actually nice.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would feel uncomfortable in a super expensive car

I'd probably be fine with a Ford Focus or something

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

Acuras make it in to the ultra low end luxury segment of the luxury car market.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Take the bus

last time I checked, luxury cars were pretty shitty and not at all practical (not like "the gas mileage is a little impractical", like "H3 without any of that's tiny amount of appeal"), and there is no reason to have one.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I would feel uncomfortable in a shitty ass car like a Ford Focus. If you like Fords perhaps you could consider a Lincoln because they are luxury cars made by Ford.

Here is a picture of one:

98lincolntowncarrv5.jpg

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Acuras make it in to the ultra low end luxury segment of the luxury car market.

So I can look down on, say, fast food employees and mexicans but not the average american?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    With $2000, you won't be able to lick the oily asshole of a Rolls or a Bently.

Try an '85 BMW with the rear bumper falling the fuck off.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I would feel uncomfortable in a shitty ass car like a Ford Focus. If you like Fords perhaps you could consider a Lincoln because they are luxury cars made by Ford.

nah I don't want a car with the name of two presidents

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    luxury cars yes

start off lookin at old bmws and mercedes
    i dont think you will find anything at the bentley level for any small price
    so yea maybe thats executive level

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't be so angered by this if you didn't make it seem like you were trying to get one of these cars for the sole purpose of appearing to be affluent.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Take the bus

last time I checked, luxury cars were pretty shitty and not at all practical (not like "the gas mileage is a little impractical", like "H3 without any of that's tiny amount of appeal"), and there is no reason to have one.

Last time I checked a Hummer is way crappier than any luxury car. Luxury cars are actually extremely practical. They purvey (I hope I used that word right) a sense of taste and style, unlike something as gaudy and ghastly as a Hummer. Luxury cars provide the ultimate in a quality ride, and are much more comfortable. Do you like sitting on a seat made out of carpet? Neither do I, and that is just one reason why a luxury car with leather seats is a far more practical choice.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Air wrote: »
    luxury cars yes

Yeah, I know I won't be able to get a Rolls Royce or something yet (although there's one in the classified section my paper from 1987 at only $20,000!) but I think a Cadillac, BMW, or a Benz would be a fine starter car.
    I wouldn't be so angered by this if you didn't make it seem like you were trying to get one of these cars for the sole purpose of appearing to be affluent.

I can't help it that you're jealous I have the money for a luxury car and you don't.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Take the bus

Last time I checked a Hummer is way crappier than any luxury car. Luxury cars are actually extremely practical. They purvey (I hope I used that word right) a sense of taste and style, unlike something as gaudy and ghastly as a Hummer. Luxury cars provide the ultimate in a quality ride, and are much more comfortable. Do you like sitting on a seat made out of carpet? Neither do I, and that is just one reason why a luxury car with leather seats is a far more practical choice.

Luxury cars are not "practical". A piece of shit Ford Focus or a Kia is "practical", since it does the job you need it to for the least amount of money.

Your pining for a luxury car is the equivalent of Ron Burgundy yelling "Hey everyone! Come and see how good I look!"

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    luxury cars yes

Yeah, I know I won't be able to get a Rolls Royce or something yet (although there's one in the classified section my paper from 1987 at only $20,000!) but I think a Cadillac, BMW, or a Benz would be a fine starter car.

I can't help it that you're jealous I have the money for a luxury car and you don't.

but I thought you said you didn't have the money for a luxury car

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Luxury cars are bulky, difficult to drive and always have terrible gas mileage. Honestly, are you even old enough to drive?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    luxury cars yes

Sorry, if your idea of "money for a luxury car" is less than $2000 than I, apparently, have the money to buy enough luxury cars that I can rope them together, stand on the front, whipping them one by one and shouting "HYAAAH!" while, behind me, every celebrity who has ever appeared as a guest on SNL partakes in a rousing recital of the Swan Lake.

EDIT: But not enough money to correctly use "then" and "than", apparently.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    why would you want a luxury car when you could instead by spared from the the eventual angry revolution from below?

you should really think ahead

comrade

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    luxury cars yes

but I thought you said you didn't have the money for a luxury car

I already said I was buying a used one didn't you read my post?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Haha.

Shank, honestly I usually think you're kinda dippy, but that was a good post.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    are you a guido

be honest

it's important

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

nah I don't want a car with the name of two presidents

How about a Cadillac we have never had President Cadillac.

Luxury cars are bulky, difficult to drive and always have terrible gas mileage. Honestly, are you even old enough to drive?

On the contrary luxury cars provide a far nicer ride than any non luxury vehicle. I am old enough to drive in fact I'm almost 19.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Whatever you buy, add spinners.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ride a bike.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Critical wrote: »
    Haha.

Shank, honestly I usually think you're kinda dippy, but that was a good post.

awwww

but thank you.

but awwww.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    god you fuckers

what's wrong with having a nice, comfortable car?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I get to drive an Acura CSX '07, it's luxury enough for a 17 year old.

Fuck I'm a little bitch.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    On the contrary luxury cars provide a far nicer ride than any non luxury vehicle. I am old enough to drive in fact I'm almost 19.

Go back and read what I've written. Have you ever seen a Rolls-Royce Phantom? Have you ever sat in one? It is like being at the helm of the fucking Titanic. Bentleys, Maybachs and all that shit is no better. They are all huge vehicles and are not fun to drive. Parking gigantic vehicles is a huge pain in the ass.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You didn't even back that up with any sort of talk about superior suspension or background noise-cancellation or anything. In fact, the only real thing you've brought up to differentiate luxury cars from non-luxury cars is a leather interior, and that's not exactly an automobile accessory that belongs solely to the financial bourgeoisie of the American population, even if it isn't a sign of poverty.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Orestes wrote: »

Fuck I'm a little bitch.

How did it feel to pay a few extra thousand for that badge on the front, because you didn't get anything else worthwhile over a Civic?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    are you a guido

be honest

it's important

I'm not Italian.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My idea of a nice ride in an urban situation is a Mini Cooper, even if it is a bit affluent (to put it lightly), but that's not because of its features or its interior but because it's so small that its very easy to keep track of ones surroundings and park without worrying and blah blah blah.

My idea of a nice ride in a rural/highway situation is anything with A/C that I can stretch out in.

This is very subjective. Don't claim that it isn't, and don't state that luxury cars just automatically provide a "far nicer ride". This thread pretty much belongs in DnD at this point.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Go back and read what I've written. Have you ever seen a Rolls-Royce Phantom? Have you ever sat in one? It is like being at the helm of the fucking Titanic. Bentleys, Maybachs and all that shit is no better. They are all huge vehicles and are not fun to drive. Parking gigantic vehicles is a huge pain in the ass.

I have seen a Rolls-Royce Phantom on the mother fucking street. It was huge. It was amazing. The craftsmanship was unbelievable. It was fantastic.

Really I think you just need to read up on luxury vehicles.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Orestes wrote: »

Fuck I'm a little bitch.

How did it feel to pay a few extra thousand for that badge on the front, because you didn't get anything else worthwhile over a Civic?

Pretty shitty actually. Well..... I did get leather on the inside! and...... Oh, oh, side mirror turn signals!

However, I called myself a bitch because I only paid for the extra couple for the badge, my parents paid for the Civic part!

Man, I'm a little bitch.

Orestes on