As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [PHALLA] of Monkey Island (mini): PIRATE VICTORY

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Important Looking Pirates:
    You are...

Very_important_pirates.jpg

An Important Looking Pirate! Specifically, the one who tests sword mastery.

You are one of the three pirates who govern the three trials here on Melee Island. Your specialty is sword fighting.

Powers: You need less clever insults and responses to win your sword fighting bouts. Basically, if I'm scoring everyone on a 1-10 scale in terms of cleverness, you get a 3 point edge.

You are..

An Important Looking Pirate! Specifically, the one who tests treasure hunting.

You are one of the three pirates who govern the three trials here on Melee Island. Your speciality is treasure hunting.

Powers: Treasure hunting is all about following clues. Once per night, PM me a target. You'll determine what they did last night (action seer).

You are...

An Important Looking Pirate! Specifically, the one who tests thievery.

You are one of the three pirates who govern the three trials here on Melee Island. Your speciality is thievery.

Powers: Thievery is all about stealth. Once per night, PM me a target, you'll follow them and determine who they targeted.

Spiffy the Dog (Thanks @Typhus733, who made me laugh a ton; though I should have and almost just flat told him who LeChuck was for thematic reasons)
    You are...

mi1spiffydog.jpg

Spiffy the Dog!

You are a dog who hangs out in the SCUMM Bar. You hate LeChuck for reasons of your own and enjoy bones.

Powers: You have a post condition. Specifically, you can only use dog noises, the name "LeChuck" and player names. Have fun! Acceptable dog noises include: arf, woof, aruf, grrrr, etc. etc. etc. If you can sell it as a dog noise, go for it. So "Grrrrrrr Arf Lechuck Woof Woof Aruf enlightenedbum" is an acceptable post. You can also point at other players, bark in response to their posts (quote them), etc. No image macros though.

The Voodoo Lady
    You are...

200px-Voodoo_MI1.jpg

The Voodoo Lady!

You are a master of the mystical arts of voodoo. You can see the future, create voodoo dolls, and everything else you would expect from the comedic voodoo arts. You also take a liking to Guybrush for whatever reason.

Powers: You are a seer. Each night PM me a target and you will learn their role name and alignment.

Cobb, the LOOM (TM) Guy
    You are...

Cobb.jpg

Cobb, the promoter of LOOM (TM)!

You spend your days hanging out in the SCUMM Bar promoting the earlier Lucasarts game, LOOM (TM).

Powers: Each day, you must draw a connection to a past or concurrent Phalla and promote how awesome it was or is. If anyone quotes you or agrees with the nostaligic post, you'll gain two extra votes to be targeted however you like.

The Troll
    You are...

Troll.jpg

The Troll!

You hang out in a troll costume guarding the bridge to the south end of the island. You demand a toll from anyone who would like to pass. You have a particular weakness for herring.

Powers: You're a guard. Each night PM me a target and you'll protect them from all attacks for that night. This does not include insult swordfights.

Herman Toothrot
    You are...

herman.gif

Herman Toothrot!

You're an old man who set out in search of the legendary Monkey Island a long time ago. You found it, too, but you're in an officious battle with the various inhabitants of the island now.

Powers: Every day you can write a memo. Whoever you send it to will have to fulfill a post condition of your choice.

The Cannibals (Probably should have been neutral masons, with maybe the Fettucini brothers as village masons)
    You are...

758748-cannibals_large.jpg

The Monkey Island Cannibals!

You're a group of cannibals who live on Monkey Island, which is surprisingly close to Mêlée. You've been thinking of becoming vegetarians though, due to new research into red meat's affects on heart health. Also, you really want your banana picker back from Toothrot.

Powers: You're a mason. Team cannibal is stever777, Spoit, and DumpShock.

Special win condition: In addition to eliminating the threats to Mêlée, Herman Toothrot must also be dead for you to win.

The Trainer
    You are...

51687-the-secret-of-monkey-island-sega-cd-screenshot-swordmanship.gif

The Trainer!

You're the trainer of sword fighting here on Mêlée and inventor of the sword fighting machine. You're also a bit sarcastic.

Powers: Each night you can PM me a target. The next day they will receive an extra insult to target however they choose. You cannot target yourself with this ability. Additionally, you'll have somewhat more leniency when it comes to the quality of your insults and responses.

The Navigator
    You are...

300px-Navigatorshead.jpg

The Navigator!

A disembodied head empowered with the ability to sense where ghost pirates are by cannibal voodoo magic, you're kind of surly about the... immobility of it all.

Powers: Each night you can PM me a target. You'll learn if the target is a ghost pirate.

LeChuck
    You are...

lechuck.png

LeChuck!

The dreaded ghost pirate himself. You want Elaine Marley and you want her badly. You'd prefer her alive, but dead is fine too.

Powers: As your alter ego, Fester Shinetop, sheriff of Mêlée, you can roleblock a player of your choice. Post it in an orders thread on your proboard.

Mafia powers: 1 kill per night, once per game unblockable kill.

Your crew is Kilnaga, SLyM, Langly, Phyphor, and SeGaTai.

I will post potential cover roles on your proboard when you put it up.

Win condition: Outnumber the living citizens of Mêlée.
    Bonus LeChuck only total victory win condition: Elaine survives.

The ghost pirates
    You are...

400px-Monkey_island_ghost_ship_deck.jpg

Part of LeChuck's Ghost Pirate crew!

You're a ghost pirate, working with LeChuck to win Elaine Marley.

Mafia powers: 1 kill per night, once per game unblockable kill.

LeChuck is kime. The ghost pirate crew is Kilnaga, SLyM, Langly, Phyphor, and SeGaTai.

I will post potential cover roles on your proboard when you put it up.

The cover rules were: The Cook, the Fetuccini Brothers, Murray, Wally, A Three Headed Monkey, and a normal monkey island monkey (who was the David Gregory Memorial role of nothing)

Win condition: Outnumber the living citizens of Mêléep/s

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    I should have joined this game. I would have attempted to kill enough people to make up for the WANTON COWARDICE.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    More murder needs to happen. From now on if I can kill people, I will

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I can see it now, next game where all the players can kill someone, the game ends after the first night's narration because everyone is dead.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Mill wrote: »
    I can see it now, next game where all the players can kill someone, the game ends after the first night's narration because everyone is dead.

This is my personal goal in phalla.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    Insults!

TRV -> Kilnaga
    "You're such a crummy pirate that when I told you to swab the poop deck, you ran to the bathroom with a q-tip"
    "How amusing. It's been said when you were so ordered all you brought was a hearty appetite."

TRV won, largely because the wording was awkward in Kilnaga's response. We all agreed the idea was strong.

Langly -> Typhus
    "People say your bark is worse than your bite, but it's clear that your breath is much worse than either of those."
    "Arr rarr grr-woof, bark woof bark arr-rooo rarr! *scratch scratch*" (My breath may be bad, but the fleas your mother gave me are the worst!)"

Typhus would have won easily.

Anialos -> Maximus
    "Your social behavior gives truth to the assertion that you are of questionable parentage."
    No response

Spoit -> Alegis
    "You're as sober as a priest from Dover"
    "I bet you knew those priests well from bending over "

Alegis won this, basically on CaptainPlanet82's say so. The rest of us were split and questioned the idea of rape humor. Though when I first read Alegis' PM I did laugh out loud. And then groaned.

SeGaTai -> Citizen
    "You make Johnny Depp look like Captain Hook."

SeGaTai died, so no response was necessary.

TRV -> ObiFett
    "You're as coordinated as a peg-legged caterpillar!"
    Obi died though, so no response.

The judging committee loved this insult when I posted it among the unresponded to/towards the dead group.

Langly -> Mill (I made a mistake and misrecorded this as being against ObiFett and didn't send it out; Mill wouldn't have had to respond anyway)
    You fight like a one legged blind man

Langly -> chamberlain
    "Your fencing style is abysmal, you might do better if you actually fought a wooden post."
    "Perhaps I will! Your face and demeanor are suitably tree like. And your bark is much worse than your beat parry. "

I felt like the first part has a good idea for the response here. Worded awkwardly, but still the idea is good. The second sentence doesn't help. Langly won unanimously.

Anialos -> The Anonymous
    "The reason thou hast a proclivity for keeping thy indentity secret is a result of your love of small boys and stuffed animals."
    "I stopped working at the orphanage after I caught you red-handed."

Insult won, but we didn't particularly like either of these.

Langly -> Megafrost
    "You fight like a grandmother darning a sock."
    "You'll need the stitches when I'm through with you."

My favorite pair. Mega would have won, but died that night.

Langly -> Retaba
    "Your swordplay reminds me of a blindfolded child whiffing at a pinata"
    "You only insult yourself when you use your childhood as a basis for your insults."

Langly won here.

Anialos -> The Anonymous
    "Thou art a braggard and a fool whose only purpose upon this spinning hunk of metal is to provide the horribly deformed and retarded an example of how much worse their life could be."
    "That's funny, because I was looking for a volunteer, and you'd make the perfect example!"

I judged that for Anialos, though I didn't like either one. T_A didn't respond in time for the judging committee to judge.

Langly -> The Anonymous
    "Your fencing skills resemble those of a palsied grandfather."
    "As do yours, except the grandfather isn't alive."

Langly wins that.

Anialos -> Mill
    "You sir are the very epitome of the dull and boring tactic of the uninspired and lonely."
    Mill wins by default.

http://iwanttosinganddance.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

Langly has to unlock, but there's the relatively spare mafia board.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I want to be mad at Anialos for getting me killed for no apparent reason, but I think the grudge might go to DumpShock for not giving me any info after I gave DS three mafia. (I seered kime on day 2, but I guess the network didn't get around to killing him until later?)

Also, I am the worst at insults. :(

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    That...

Is a lot of village specials and seers for one mafia kill.

Even assuming more dueling would happen.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i choose to believe that the reasoning i was never insulted was fear

liEt3nH.png
    SLyM wrote: »
    That...

Is a lot of village specials and seers for one mafia kill.

Even assuming more dueling would happen.

It sure was! My apologies.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I want to be mad at Anialos for getting me killed for no apparent reason, but I think the grudge might go to DumpShock for not giving me any info after I gave DS three mafia. (I seered kime on day 2, but I guess the network didn't get around to killing him until later?)

Also, I am the worst at insults. :(

I was going into the last few days blind. Dumpshock shared 0 information with me. The decision to kill Kime and SLyM with my vote manip were gut reactions.

I'm a bit surprised dumpshock didn't make an attempt to get in touch with more people.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Apparently I was seered. And the seer had some contact with Dumpshock via soft network I take it.

yet Dumpshock feeds me to the vote because I wasn't online for a day; as he wondered if I could really hand out post restrictions.

INANTP posts that he received a post restriction (one where he had to post TASTY BEER) from someone. Who could it possible be?

Alegis is voted out.

My fault of course for being unable to drop in. But still, I'm completely flabbergasted.

Alegis on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah...that's kinda my fault alegis. I realized that you hadn't responded to my PMs about 10 minutes before I died, and didn't tell dumpshock that you might not have been online to change your orders. And the seer hadn't got in contact by then, IIRC

steam_sig.png
    I enjoyed the vig aiming at the network head. That was nice.

Like I said in the PMs, the kult of kime is strong

steam_sig.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    uggg, so... the village seered kime and didn't kill him?

WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME.

I SEERED KIME THEN REVEALED TO LANGLY SO HE COULD PASS IT TO YOU.

I REVEALED MYSELF TO THE MAFIA FOR NO REASON WHEN A SIMPLE KIME IS LECHUCK WOULD HAVE SAVED ME.

SO ANGRY.

Mostly at myself since all my seer targets died soon after. Somehow I was channeling the mafia hit list.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Wait did EB post the spreadsheet?

steam_sig.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I'm a bit surprised dumpshock didn't make an attempt to get in touch with more people.
    DS contacted me out of the blue on day 3, and I didn't get the impression I'd been seered. Ironically, at that point I was literally seconds away from outing kime as the SK.

I REVEALED MYSELF TO THE MAFIA FOR NO REASON WHEN A SIMPLE KIME IS LECHUCK WOULD HAVE SAVED ME.

SO ANGRY.

Mostly at myself since all my seer targets died soon after. Somehow I was channeling the mafia hit list.
    Again, that was all DumpShock. I told them my seer results, and fantastic things happened.

Which is to say nothing happened.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I wont blame someone new to being a network head, but still, disappointed.

Then again first time I was a network head I vigged 6 villagers in a row then hit a bomb mafia so...

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I was terribly distraught about the whole "my piranha poodles devoured Guybrush" thing and wasn't thinking clearly - sorry!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Ahahaha, so that's why the village imploded when Dumpshock was in charge. Good grief. Good thing I pulled the mafia out of my ass at the last minute...with help from the lovely @Retaba.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Reading through the insults was fun! Wish I would've had arms for longer.
    Thanks again for running this!

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    Ahahaha, I'm fine with breaking OoA for an epic ending. So...the mafia was Langly, Kime, Kilnaga, SLyM, SeGaTai, and Phyphor. Surprised we pulled this one off. That's a pretty good team.

We only had one kill, duels were public so we couldn't group up on people, there were at least three seers in a thirty person game, and even though our group kill was not a personal action it was randomly assigned to one of us without our knowledge. We also had no powers.

So we pretty much had our backs against the wall.

Mafia board unlocked

Yeah, keeping the sender of insults anonymous, probably would have made the mechanic more effective for generating kills.

thanks for hosting, ebum. I really did like making up insults to give to people, I just petered out at the end since it seemed like I was the only one doing it.

• DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DS contacted me out of the blue on day 3, and I didn't get the impression I'd been seered. Ironically, at that point I was literally seconds away from outing kime as the SK.

SO ANGRY.

Again, that was all DumpShock. I told them my seer results, and fantastic things happened.

Which is to say nothing happened.

I deserve any grudge votes I get. The kime thing is pretty obvious in hindsight but he was ONLY action seered using roleblock on a night when everyone was using there powers randomly, so meh. I was 99% on phyphor that night because of T_A's target seer. Void was asked to seer kime but didn't PM the result to me, instead you lamented about not having a 5 person network around you. I played it wrong, I admit, but that made me seriously wonder if you were mafia and just trying to fake being a faction seer with results of dead players.

@Alegis Sorry I killed you. It really was the best I had that night and it was waaaaaaay wrong. Then when VS revealed the next morning with his previous seer results........

All and all I had fun. Don't want to be a network head again. I don't think I have the skills yet.

DumpShock on
    edited December 2012
    Getting paranoid because I don't PM back (even though my 'last online' probably showed up as last online before I even got your PM ...) I can understand as new network head

But INANTP's post that he received a post restriction I'd have expected to set off a few bells; warranting investigation (if the cause for alarm was indeed 'Alegis claims to be a post restrictor which he may not be'). It's too bad I didnt get online sooner as I would have probably tried to get INANTP voted out; he knew the conditions of his restriction (post about beer), knew that I claimed post restrictor (you posted it), knows I tend to enjoy the beverage quite a bit, yet went along with the thread, not really trying to divert the wagon.

I tried to make the restrictions as obvious as possible to refer to me to avoid this kind of situation; in retrospect that didn't work out well it seems. Plus it's a bad villager move; if mafia knows I'm not a vig/seer they can hit elsewhere with more accuracy. So that backfired quite a bit.

We live and learn!
    Unfortunately sometimes you don't get to choose to become network head; it just falls on you ;)
    I've had my share of Network head troubles and bad calls

Alegis on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    Thanks Ebum for hosting, I had a blast even though the mafia were dicks and killed a dog :( Permanent grudge for all of you.

Also fun fact, my avatar and inspiration for my role in this game is one of my adorable mini-doxies.

Typhus733 wrote: »
    Thanks Ebum for hosting, I had a blast even though the mafia were dicks and killed a dog :( Permanent grudge for all of you.

Also fun fact, my avatar and inspiration for my role in this game is one of my adorable mini-doxies.

you were confirmable simply based on your role. You had to die.

• Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Typhus733 wrote: »

you were confirmable simply based on your role. You had to die.
    *whine*

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    As a spectator, seeing the dog die was the saddest thing.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I.. do not approve of a post restriction like that. It was funny, sure, but kind of debilitating from a gameplay perspective.

Anyways, ebum, thanks for running! It was fun, and I think you've already mentioned any balance issues I saw, so that's good.
    Anialos wrote: »
    Ahahaha, I'm fine with breaking OoA for an epic ending. So...the mafia was Langly, Kime, Kilnaga, SLyM, SeGaTai, and Phyphor. Surprised we pulled this one off. That's a pretty good team.

Besides the balance issues that have been mentioned, that's also a rather high-profile team. Like, there's no way several of us would make it very far in the game by default, basically :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I wont blame someone new to being a network head, but still, disappointed.

Then again first time I was a network head I vigged 6 villagers in a row then hit a bomb mafia so...

No village will ever be ruined as quickly as the village i network head for, so don't sweat it, dumpshock.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Haha dang, I didn't realize things were as they were!

I have to admit I like the fact my seer only told me if I found mafia, at the end Anialos and I were wondering if INANTP was a neutral who was working with Langly :P

Thank you for Hosting and nice job Anialos!

• DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Alegis wrote: »
    Getting paranoid because I don't PM back (even though my 'last online' probably showed up as last online before I even got your PM ...) I can understand as new network head
    I was watching your Last online like a hawk! When it changed to 7:30ish that night with no response I put the call in.

DumpShock on
    That makes more sense, I guess it was on a tab when I opened browser on the phone.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't much like post restrictions. But I couldn't help but laugh at the first one I was given (by Alegis?)

"post like a drunk giraffe"

....what

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile