As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Life of [Raspberry] Pi

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
sudo apt-get Introduction

A Raspberry Pi is a $35 computer. Well, almost a computer. You still need a keyboard and mouse, a video-out source, an SD card or USB stick, probably a power source, plus all the cables. So what do you get? This:
5008299.jpg

No operating system is included; that's where the SD card comes in. There's a specially-designed Linux distro called Raspbian “wheezy”, although many other options exist.
For this project, I am going with Raspbmc, which is designed for using your Raspberry Pi as a media center.

Equipment
  • Raspberry Pi Model "B"
  • Seagate 2TB Backup Plus external drive
  • SanDisk 8GB SDHC card
  • Samsung TV
  • Lapdock For Motorola Atrix (for video and KBM)
  • Eventually my Android phone for XBMC remote control

The intent is to create a headless media streaming center, and document the process in this thread. Got it on a whim after my father bought one, so will be a learning and amusing experience with pictures.

2012/12/05
Holding off on the lapdock for now, until all the various cables arrive. Plugged Pi into TV, and after a few restarts, Raspbmc launched. Interface is simialr to PS3's Cross Media Bar:
IMAG1151.jpg
  • Logitech MK520 KBM set from work was working intermittently; sometimes neither would work, sometimes both or just one.
  • Seagate drive mounted and connected right out of the box. Has some promo videos on there played fine, though blown up quality was low. After inital trial, pulled drive, formatted as NTFS again, and loaded some vids and pitures. System struggled with a 400MB folder of images; seemed to be having trouble indexing.
  • Network seemed to be OK, but all fields on the Network screen were blank; IP Address, DNS Server, etc., including MAC Address.
Probably need a case. Thinking about doing a LEGO one. For the drive is NTFS the way to go? Other option is exFAT.

2012/12/07
Got the HDMI micro to HDMI cable, so plugged it into the Lapdock offline to test. Wow. That is a fantastic display. Played Sita Sings The Blues and was very impressed. Keyboard was fine, trackpad was slightly laggy.

2013/01/29
This is why I don't make threads, no good at keeping up with them. So I moved a bunch of media over to the Seagate, tested it out and worked great. Then the very next morning plugged my laptop power into the HD and fried it. Managed to take it apart to get to the disk, and tried to connect to my laptop via a SATA to USB setup. Got actual smoke that time! Trying to decide if it's worth it to buy the controller board. Got most of the media restored from past backups, so will probably just go with a USB stick or something non-mechanical for the Pi.

MichaelLC on

• proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Do you already have a lapdock? I recently picked one up when /r/raspberry_pi linked to one for $40. I have one of the original 256MB model B that came out, and a couple articles from people using theirs as ghetto laptops splice two USB cords for power and data coming from the lapdock. I'm thinking of either buying a newer model B without polyfuses to "back power" the rasp pi without two usb cables, or take my soldering iron and short the polyfuses to back power my setup.

Right now it's setup as a headless torrent/VPN server, and does it's job beautifully.

455Bo4O.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yeah got it as an early XMas gift from family.

Yeah, apparently that works pretty well with the Model B. I'm stuck right now without a micro HDMI to HDMI cable. Trying to keep the cabling as simple as possible, but seems like it's always the opposite of what I want. Really doesn't matter, since will be out of sight on the top of our TV cabinet.

What are you using for storage? A stick/card, or a separate drive?

MichaelLC on
    edited December 2012
    A 500GB usb external, and 8GB SD (forgot brand). I'm getting 6.5MB/s transfer speeds when using samba. That's inside my netowrk. Max upload for me is 400KB/s :c

Does Raspbian utilize the floating point hardware?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have one of these!

Mine is setup for streaming media wirelessly, but lately I've been having trouble setting up reliable smb shares so I haven't used it since the last update.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    The concept of this thing is pretty cool but every time I think about getting one I realize I don't really know what I'd do with it. I can't use it as a media streaming thing because I already just plug my main computer into my TV. What other cool stuff are people doing with this thing?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    A lot of people use it as a "budget" PC, using something like the Moto dock or other cheap screen, and there's a lot of Arduino mechanical projects ranging from interesting to insane.

The Pi has gotten a good response I think because both of the quality of parts and especially the number of standard ports they crammed on to it. This makes it accessible to both "hard core" hackers and those who just want a hobbist PC to mess around with like myself.

MichaelLC on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    The concept of this thing is pretty cool but every time I think about getting one I realize I don't really know what I'd do with it. I can't use it as a media streaming thing because I already just plug my main computer into my TV. What other cool stuff are people doing with this thing?

1. Send it into near space and film the whole trip
    2. Managing a home PBX phone system with Google Voice
    3. Super customizable music jukebox
    4. Webcam server
    5. Minecraft
    6. Linux playground for things.
    7. Or any number of outrageous things people have done

!
    Bought a 512MB model B on sparkfun a couple days ago when they stocked up. Using that for the lapdock I have, I can leave the old one to torrent still, but also share a toner printer I recently picked up from a friend's work that "doesn't work" (one bad stepper motor that a strategically placed eraser fixed). I'm worried that someone one might jostle the external HDD that would have to be in proximity of the printer, unless I can hide it and the rasp pi behind the printer.

455Bo4O.png
    Just worried about vibrations or getting knocked over?

Some Command Adhesives should do the trick.

edited December 2012
    I'm worried about a certain someone in the family that likes to check if an external HDD is connected by shaking it, and another certified Mr. Fixit that will dick around with the cables at the first sign of an issue. I'd like to make this idiot proof but I'm sure a bigger idiot will come by...

Might throw it all in a metal box literally bolt it onto the table.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your best bet is that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    But nevar forget: The price of working hardware is eternal vigilance.
    And they're always making better idiots.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, some type of enclosure would be best. Or a disguise? Hide it inside the cover of a big hardback book.

edit: Update to OP.
    proyebat wrote: »
    A 500GB usb external, and 8GB SD (forgot brand). I'm getting 6.5MB/s transfer speeds when using samba. That's inside my netowrk. Max upload for me is 400KB/s :c

Does Raspbian utilize the floating point hardware?

NTFS for the 500? Not really sure on the floating point. The FAQ claims to use some sort of "hard float" which is supposed to be good.

MichaelLC on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Is this purely a Raspberry Pi thread or can it be a more inclusive "damn small cheap full computer" thread? Much as I like RP, composite video is a non starter for me and I'm looking at things like these: some Chinese thing, the Cubie and the UG, and the Mini-X.

Need to drive a 1080P display, but am concerned wifi is not sufficiently reliable to deliver good service to a thin client.

@MichaelLC, it's formatted with ext4. Windows still handles it fine.

455Bo4O.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I bought one of these on a whim, and have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I was going to turn it into an XBMC box, but it interfered with the anynet+ from my tv and av receiver so I ended up shelving it and have not touched it since.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Is this purely a Raspberry Pi thread or can it be a more inclusive "damn small cheap full computer" thread? Much as I like RP, composite video is a non starter for me and I'm looking at things like these: some Chinese thing, the Cubie and the UG, and the Mini-X.

Need to drive a 1080P display, but am concerned wifi is not sufficiently reliable to deliver good service to a thin client.

Raspberry pis also have HDMI out.

I'm currently rejiggering my pi (or actually, ordered a new item) so I'm not running over wifi due to MKVs are pretty much at the limit at what N class dongles can handle so I'm going to shift to lan over power (hopefully!).

This additionally will free up my USB port so I'll have the option of either running and IR receiver or running off a USB stick which would speed things up as well.

Additionally, only that Mini-X has N class wifi, the first only has g which is buts to run 1080p off.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @Blake T, are you shitting me? I thought it was only composite video (480P, or some other SD res out). I don't care about 1080P video for my project, just 1080P desktop rendering (Office, IE, and such).

Nope.

The full set of outs are hdmi, composite and a line out for audio.

I have it plugged into my tv to play mkvs. And bandwidth issues aside, it does that with aplomb.

Djeet wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Additionally, only that Mini-X has N class wifi, the first only has g which is buts to run 1080p off.

I though the Mini looked the best out of those as well. Some were just bad copies of the Pi, and other seemed too limited.

proyebat wrote: »
    @MichaelLC, it's formatted with ext4. Windows still handles it fine.

Cool. Will play around to see what gives me the best rates, or if it matters at all.

Finally some cables came in the mail today. Check her out

VdJde.jpg
    85mH3.jpg

Yeah, back-powering the bastard is so convenient. I will have to rework shutdown on xfce4 to halt, I still have to get the speakers to work, and while waiting for my wireless n adapter to come through the mail, I have a linksys wireless g adapter to fuss with. Also, a case for the pi would help.

455Bo4O.png
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    Having a 3d printer, I'm wondering if I should start making cases for these things. Are there any on www.thingiverse.com that stand out to any of you?

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    Speaking of rpi's... any recommendation for a programmer to pick one up that might want to do fancy things with it. Maybe control pistons or the like?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    The MagPi magazine (the worst and best Pi pun so far) has an article on using robotic arms with a Pi.

The GERT Board is one option, though it seems Arduino is the more popular option.

Here's a sweet motorized project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=68j8tu7rS3k

Gihgehls wrote: »
    Having a 3d printer, I'm wondering if I should start making cases for these things. Are there any on www.thingiverse.com that stand out to any of you?

That's a pretty cool idea.

Can you make a case that has the Pi sealed inside? So with no user-accessible parts, you'd have made an Apple Pi.

CNET UK had an article about some random projects, including a print your own case PDF. I think that'd be nice, as it goes along with the Rasp Pi aesthetic.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    The MagPi magazine (the worst and best Pi pun so far) has an article on using robotic arms with a Pi.

The GERT Board is one option, though it seems Arduino is the more popular option.

Here's a sweet motorized project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=68j8tu7rS3k

Sweet. I'm thinking of making a 6 DoF simulator for flightsim.

So our raspberry pi just came in. Now I've gotta find a monitor with hdmi :-( Thought the kit I had had an hdmi->Dvi adapter.

Anyone know of a way to install raspbian onto the pi without an SD card reader? I've got plenty of USB based CD roms to use. Would a live CD with dd work?

Nope, it's hard wired into the rasp pi to boot off an sd card. Specifically it looks inside the first FAT32 partition it finds on the sd card to read the boot config, which can then load something off another partition on the sd card or from an external HDD

455Bo4O.png
    Gotcha. Seems I lucked out and the SD card I ordered cam with raspbian already.

Sd card readers are like three dollars off eBay.

It's worthwhile to buy one now before something corrupts or if you want o install a new os.

• LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any luck getting a wireless xbox controller working with xbmc? I know raspbian is seeing mine because I can make a horrible mess in terminal while pushing buttons, but it does not function in xbmc. I'm guessing I need some sort of button map, but I can't seem to get anything working from the info I'm finding online.

bowen wrote: »
    So our raspberry pi just came in. Now I've gotta find a monitor with hdmi :-( Thought the kit I had had an hdmi->Dvi adapter.

Sadly no.

For monitors, kind of depends on what you're looking to do with it. A lot of people just use their TVs since they plan to use the Pi headless.

The Moto Lap Dock is only $20 at Fry's right now if you happen to be near one. Go for a little more on-line, but still under $100 for a really nice device.

I did find an HDMI->DVI-D adapter and just plugged that shit into my monitor. Works!

Anyone know how to attach a gertboard to the pi? I have one here but the GPIO connector is on the bottom of it and not on the top like some of the pictures. I have no idea how to orient it and it doesn't attach with the ribbon cable I have. Looks like it fits on the board but only one way, but I'm not sure I'm hooking it up right and most pictures show one where the connector is on the top and the ribbon cable is attached.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Never was interested in the Pi before - but making a streaming media center out of these sounds like a great idea.

TV only has scart/composite connection at the moment though but I suppose I can get some connectors for that.
    So the SD is for the OS and internal data store; as I'd preferably stream I suppose external USB won't be necessary yet. Does sbmc play nice with Windows shares? I'm reading that it's supported, but I'm interested in reading more experiences like Blake's

Sbmc sometimes works wonderfully, other times its just ffffffffffffff you.

Nfs works fine though.