As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Playtest of Chaos (Game Thread)

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Anyone trying to keep an eye out for ambushes and/or traps needs to give me a Spot and/or a Listen check. If you don't have those skills it's just a Wisdom check.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Spot: 1d20+5 12 (Actually an 11 since my bonus is +4, not +5) + Skill Mastery: 1d4 4 = 15

Listen: 1d20+4 24 +Skill Mastery: 1d4 2 = 26

Could I roll Skill Mastery for this as well? I'm a little unclear how the expertise dice refresh outside of combat.

Nealneal on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    It says they refresh every round, and there's no mention of a different time-scale outside of combat, so I guess you can use them every 6 seconds. Using Skill Mastery for both checks is fine I guess.

edited December 2012
    Edited to include Skill Mastery. As long as you wait six seconds between attempting something new, you can always add stupid dice amounts to your roll? Thanks WotC. I just love vaguely worded rules and blank spots in the mechanics.

Nealneal on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Archibald isn't trying to hide but is using the corner for cover while watching the direction the two goblins fled down

Spot: 1d20+2=22
    Listen: 1d20+2=19

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2012
    I've been really struggling to figure out how you or the goblins are supposed to effectively hide in such small areas. The only conclusion I've been able to reach is that hiding is only possible in complete darkness, but since the cave isn't completely dark, and is in fact brightly lit right now, the best either you or the goblins can do is avoid being surprised. Which is what happens.

As some of you creep and some of you peer down the hallway, you realize it's not really that long, perhaps only 40 feet. After that, the tunnel widens into a chamber, roughly 30 feet by 20 feet, containing a table, benches, a keg, and a barrel of loose javelins. There are also 14 goblins there, who spot you at the same time you spot them. They're all holding javelins, in such a manner as to indicate that they wish to throw them at you or stab you with them so that you will die.

Roll Initiative! also I really can't take this "theater of the mind" business for combat, so I'm going to switch to using a grid and whip up a map for this. Please indicate if you want to be at the entrance to the chamber, in the middle of the hallway, or at the beginning of the hallway.

Denada on
    Initiative: 1d20+3 7

Well, it was nice playing, but I don't suppose Kal will live through the first turn. He'll be at the entrance since he was taking point.

Init: 1d20+6=15

If it is possible to use the corner as cover then Archibald will stay at the begining of the hallway. If not then will stay immediately behind Bruce the Mad

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    "Big'un? How d'yoo know 'bout the size o--" Bruce begins as he moves forward, not managing to be particularly silent or observant, and rounds the corner to find himself face-to-face with a good number of pointy things.

"Oh mee."

Roll (badly) for initiative: 1d20+4=5

I have apparently jinxed myself. And Bruce will wind up inside the room.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    initiative again!: 1d20+2 20

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Init: 9
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3813787/

I see myself not going into melee much, but i'd be happy to be the rear guard, so put me at the begining of the hallway watching our backs.

Round 1

enc02-round1.jpg

Once again, Grugni stands ready to slay his foes through the magic of alcohol. And magic. There are too many goblins here to pick out individual features, so you'll just have to number them instead. They probably have names, but learning those might be difficult since they're evil, murderous goblins.

- - - - -

Grugni - HP 9/9 - AC 12
    Archibald - HP 8/8 - AC 12
    Goblin 1 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 2 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 3 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 4 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 5 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 6 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 7 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 8 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 9 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 10 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 11 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 12 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 13 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 14 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Doter - HP 8/8 - AC 14
    Kal Ratha - HP 6/6 - AC 14
    Bruce - HP 12/12 - AC 16

Up First: @Der Waffle Mous

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Grugni fumbles for another flask, and uncorks it.

"Cover yer noses, lads!"

He downs the contents in one large gulp, and seconds later, belches a noxious cloud down the hallway before quickly ducking behind cover.

Sleep spell centered around the goblin at the center of the pack. Sleep spell HP: 3d8 15 and then moving behind that rock outcropping to the right.

15 HP is enough for five goblins at max HP, and since 1) they're all at max HP, 2) Sleep doesn't require an attack roll, and 3) the targets don't get a saving throw, Goblins 2, 6, 7, 10, and 11 are now Unconscious.

In 5E, being Unconscious means:
    -The creature drops whatever it’s holding and falls prone.
    -The creature cannot move, take actions, or perceive its surroundings.
    -The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
    -Attacks against the creature have advantage.

Up Next: @RiemannLives

edited December 2012
    Archibald holds action until after the goblins go then will cast burning hands catching as many as possible in the AOE (he can exclude allies from being damaged even if they are in the cone)

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, archibald will move out if cover into whatever position hits the most with burning hands after the goblins act.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    The goblins swarm forward, tossing javelins as they step over their sleeping brothers. Or possibly sisters. It's hard to tell with goblins.

There's a whole mess of actions here and I'm not going to go through the work of listing them all out. All of the goblins that are still awake move around and throw a javelin at either Bruce or Kal. Bruce is hit twice for a total of 8 damage; Kal is critically hit once for 7 damage and is now Dying.

enc02-round1b.jpg

Grugni - HP 9/9 - AC 12
    Goblin 1 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 3 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 4 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 6 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 8 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 12 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Doter - HP 8/8 - AC 14
    Kal Ratha - HP -1/6 - AC 14
    Bruce - HP 4/12 - AC 16

Move to the square between k and b and cast burning hands

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2012
    Bruce casually bats aside one of the javelins--although perhaps he should have done so less casually, as he manages to deflect it only slightly.

Bruce parries one point of damage!

"Oi, yeel pay fer that!"

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    G1 fails his save and dies. G6 can't save, and dies. G4, G8, and G12 make their saves and each take 1 damage.

Up Next: @texasheat

So for spells do you roll the damage then or should we?

Also, from the section in the How To Play PDF, Archibald should be ahead of the gobbos in initiative order for next round (you end up just before the init you were waiting for)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2012
    *bleeding and dying

Death Save: 1d20 15- 1/3 Death Saves Made

Nealneal on
    edited December 2012
    I wish to use my healers kit to stabilize the dieing dude. Not exactly sure how. As i'm not trained in heal checks. I would think it's just a wisdom check plus some ammount for the healers kit. As my wis is +0 then i'll just roll a d20 and you add whatever from the healers kit if anything.

I move up do my dieing friend and attempt to stabilize him. But i realize...i have no idea what i'm doing....i should have thrown a dagger...or cooked some goblin noodle soup....Heal: 6!
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3814426/

texasheat on
    No roll is required it seems. You just use your kit and presto! Kal's stablized.

Then is it one time use? Sorry, i guess i could look it up, is that in the equipment section?

edited December 2012
    It is in the equipment section. There's twenty uses in each Healing Kit. One use to Stabilize, or one use during a rest to allow a bunch of folks to spend any number of Hit Die to regain hit points.

Nealneal on
    edited December 2012
    Ah. I see thank you...i believe that it's now @leper to continue.

texasheat on
    You can roll damage if you want to. I was just rolling it because you didn't.

Also you didn't ready an action, which is why you're not before the goblins in initiative order. You took your full turn (move + action). The rules don't actually cover delaying your entire turn (at least that I could find, although it could be hidden somewhere), so I just went with how it's always worked in the past.

Also Kal is still at -1, but no longer needs to make death saves. He can just sort of lay there now.

Yay for initiative being the most important roll! ...wait...

Keeping his back to the wall, Bruce slides forward to swing his flail at goblin 3, who he imagines is responsible for some of his wounds.

Hit=19
    Damage=9

Round 2

enc02-round2.jpg

The young goblin who had been designated as number 3 is nearly obliterated by the force of Bruce's strike. A few seconds after that, shouts erupt from the western hallway of the cave, where another group of goblins are brandishing their javelins. They're also brandishing an ogre, who looks somewhat bored, but in a deadly way.

Before those goblins (and associate) have a chance to actually attack, however, Grugni gets to act.

- - - - -

Grugni - HP 9/9 - AC 12
    Goblin 15 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 16 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 17 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 18 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 19 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 20 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 21 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 4 - HP 2/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 8 - HP 2/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 12 - HP 2/3 - AC 13
    Doter - HP 8/8 - AC 14
    Ogre - HP 32/32 - AC 15
    Bruce - HP 5/12 - AC 16

Up First: @Der Waffle Mous

So....um....yea....can i poop my pants now? Holy crap....that's alot of bad guys....

edited December 2012
    yeah... Some dude in encounter design is earning his pay today. [/sarcasm]

Leper on
    What's funny is this is actually sort of three encounters, or possibly four. Or at least it seems like that might have been the intent. However, the timing of how these different groups of goblins move around, combined with the physical size of the lair, makes it impossible for these encounters not to happen all at once. I was actually being generous by letting you loot the bodies and skulk around by deciding that the goblins would wait and see if you were going to leave instead of just attacking right away. But honestly, this could have happened almost as soon as you walked in the door.

Of course, being 5E, there were also random rolls involved, though I actually fudged one of them because I got tired of making goblin tokens. So it could actually be slightly worse.

WotC, I am disappoint.

GYGAAAAAAAAAX

"...do I hear something behind us?"

he runs up and uncorks the fire bottle again.

just straight running up to K 21 and throwing out burning hands (damage): 1d6 2 on the goblins.

G5 fails his save and takes 2 fire damage. G7 can't save and dies. G8 fails his save and dies. G12 makes his save and takes 1 fire damage. G14 fails his save and takes 2 fire damage.

The goblins, being small, evil, and chaotic, are undeterred by the giant blasts of fire. They throw more javelins at whoever they can hit, which turns out to be everyone.

The new group of goblins move forward and start throwing. Only four of them actually have LoS to attack, so they all throw at Doter. Two miss. Two hit for 4 damage each. Doter is now Dying.

The rest of them get a-throwin', focusing on Grugni first. The first three hit for 4 damage each. Grugni is now dying. The next two target Bruce. One misses. One crits Bruce for 7 damage. Bruce is now Dying (potentially). The last one aims at Archibald, hitting for 4 damage.

enc02-round2b.jpg

- - - - -

Grugni - HP -3/9 - AC 12
    Goblin 15 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 16 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 17 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 18 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 19 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 20 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 21 - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 4 - HP 2/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 5 - HP 1/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 12 - HP 1/3 - AC 13
    Goblin 14 - HP 1/3 - AC 13
    Archibald - HP 4/8 - AC 12
    Doter - HP 0/8 - AC 14
    Ogre - HP 32/32 - AC 15
    Bruce - HP -2/12 - AC 16

So what kind of template does a "15 foot cone" actually hit?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Bruce jukes left, allowing him to avoid one javelin and make the second bounce off his skull, leaving a nasty gash rather than an empty socket. It's still enough to put him on the ground, however. "I'm gonna... eet yoo... first."

Bruce deflects two points of damage.

edited December 2012
    Uhh, it's like this, I think.

But I was using it wrong, now that I'm looking at it again. Or was I? I was using it with the origin being the first square of the cone. Both of them follow the description of a cone in the rules.

Cone templates are stupid when there's a grid.

Denada on