As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Solo Attendees

WackBagWackBag Registered User regular
Just out of curiosity how many solo attendees attend the joy that is PAX East? I've been coming with 3 buddies since 2010 and this year they slacked off on getting BYOC tickets, which in turn, they slacked off on passes. So I will coming up solo this year. I'm on the fence about going now since I'm such a "social butterfly". Just curious on how other solo attendees fare at PAX. I usually spend alot of the time in BYOC, but concerned about the rest. Reply or Drop me a note letting me know if my concerns are justified or not.

Thanks,
HackBag (aka WackBag)

Pax East 2014 checklist:
3 Day Pass [X] - BYOC [X] - Accomodations [X] - Travel [ X ] - Time Off [ X ]

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think there are a ton of solo goers. There's usually a thread about it every year. Basically just don't be afraid to talk to people. Some might be cold, but generally people at PAX are friendly and talkative (at least that's been my experience). Go to the forum meetups, etc, you might find yourself a group that you like to hang out with.

• Options
    laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    If you are a "social butterfly" shouldn't going solo be no problemo for you?

I think you would be fine. I have social anxiety and there are not many places that are packed where I can feel comfortable. I would say at PAX (while I didn't chat up a lot of people I didn't know, a few, but not many) I was almost always comfortable. Whether it was lines, the expo floor, panels, whatever. There were only a few times it got to me over the full 3 days. And if it was pretty much anywhere else with that many people, I would likely start feeling uncomfortable instantly or within an hour or two. PAX gives good vibes :)

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    You should definitely go.

The greatest thing about PAX, is that you are there with thousands of friends you just haven't met yet.

YES I KNOW IT'S CHEESY BUT IT'S TRUE! Don't judge me!

Anyways, I've made great and wonderful friends at PAX, and you will too!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Just bring line-games. Instant conversation starters.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I haven't ever been, but I know I'm going solo as well (though will have to be room-sharing, which will likely be an adventure in itself). The last time I went to a convention of this sort I just ended up talking to random people. Mostly those who recognized my avatar (I had it on the back of my pass).

But overall I do have the same problem myself. I'm not sure how many people I'll be talking to or what I'm going to be doing most the time. But I am going to try. And when I fail, it shall be glorious.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I went solo last year* and had a freaking blast. I'm not terribly outgoing, but I was able to find people to chat with while sitting in line. I had some nice guys teach me how to play Zombie Dice and Gloom (which has become a new favourite game in my household) and I never had a problem if I had to duck out of line to pee (just let the person next to you know that you'll be right back). Getting seats close was way easier because people tend to leave a seat in between them and the next group, so I just had to ask, "Is someone sitting there?" and got some really great seats throughout the weekend. I was also able to find people to play tabletop games with little to no trouble. I even ran in to people that I hadn't seen in years at PAX! I had no clue they were going and there they were on the expo floor!
    The best part of going solo is you never have to worry about what other people want to do.
    The worst part about going solo was I never had anyone to go out to lunch with and I feel terribly awkward going to a restaurant by myself.

*Edit: It was also my first PAX

TabooPhantasy on
    ~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I was solo two days last year and I noticed that wearing a tshirt with a video game reference is a good conversation starter, a lot more people talked to me than when I was wearing plain clothes.

Also I met a bunch of people in the handheld lounge, bringing an extension cord and a splitter for multiple chargers to plug in will make you popular very fast. :)

• Options
    EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    I went with my roommate last year, but will be going solo most likely this year. I was actually thinking about getting a group of solo PAXers together on the first day of the convention (or maybe even during the Pokécrawl). Is anyone interested?

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • Options
    My wife always says that she hates it that I can walk into a room of 100 strangers and come out an hour later friends with 99. Shame on me for the last 3 years sticking with my guys and not getting out there and meeting new people. It's probably in my head, I'm sure it will be OK as soon as I know what my plans are in the evenings instead of walking around aimlessly in Bean-town. I'm not so much worried about the event itself but like @TabooPhantasy, it's the lunch / dinner plans. @EQV, definitely interested.

Pax East 2014 checklist:
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    If you're into board games and don't like "being alone", I recommend heading to Table Top and jumping into a pick up game of something.. you might (and probably will) end up making NEW friends.. and maybe even be able to do other things at PAX. =) Same could probably be done in PC Freeplay, though, personal interaction is more.. well.. personal in table top.

For something completely different, you could volunteer as an Enforcer! You'll make a bunch of new friends!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    EnolamronEnolamron Registered User regular
    I will be attending solo and it will be my first year at Pax. I have applied to be a enforcer mainly to meet new people and to help out of course. I was wondering the age range I should expect to see there. I will be 40 by time Pax rolls around and feel sort of a outcast here in Maine and my job due to the fact 90% of the people here out grow games or are just closet gamers. I will defiantly be looking for others to hang out with and maybe grab a beer. Pokecrawl looks a bit intimidating, but who knows, I may sign up.

• Options
    This is a pure guess, but I would think that the average age of pax east is around 28-ish. Even if I'm totally off base there, there's a wide variety of age ranges at PAX. Most of the people I hang out with are 25+, and many in their 40s, including folks that do the pokecrawl :)

• Options
    Don't worry @Enolamron - I'm hitting Four-Zero in June. Trying to see if I can still hang with these kids and their fancy gadgets!

Pax East 2014 checklist:
  • Options
    EnolamronEnolamron Registered User regular
    Good to hear, thanks. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    @Enolamron - Yeah as zerzhul said, the average range is actually pretty average. We have a bunch of Enforcers in their 20's, 30's, and 40's... and I know of a few outlier enforcers that tip the scale even further

I'm 35 myself. =) But I act 15 years old. That's the important piece. haha

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    douglasbouttelldouglasbouttell Glasgow, UKRegistered User regular
    I'm flying all the way from Scotland on my own, and will be on my own for a lot of it but I plan to hang out with people there. PAX Primt was my first time to America and to a large con, I was scared as hell... until I actually talked to people :D!

My advice, hang out the tabletop freeplay area and see who is playing things like Metagame or Cards against Humanity. No complex rules and it gets you talking.

Douglas Bouttell: Geek, Engineer, Weirdo

PAX East 2013 Status
    Hotel: Waterfront Westin; Flight: Booked; Pass: Purchased; Suitcase: Packed

PAX Prime 2012 Status: Level Complete
    TWDT'12: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    engreyengrey Registered User new member
    This will be my third year as a solo goer to PAX East. I enjoy going to the booths that I want and when I want. You get to skip part of the lines at time if only one seat is available but it can be rare. For me, the panels are more fun than the show-floor. I like going to the events that really interest me and I do not have to fight with others on what they want to do.

I go for all three days and always have something to do and people to meet, I enjoy it every year.

• Options
    Mr UppercutMr Uppercut Registered User regular
    I'll be going solo this year. My friends slacked off on getting tickets. I don't know how long I'll be staying at PAX each day without someone to share the experience with.

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be going solo myself. First time to Pax or any gaming con at that. Nobody I knew could afford to go with so I have to fly solo. I'm not much of a social butterfly so I hope that changes at Pax.

This space for rent
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    i always go solo since no one bothers to join me, but sadly this year i can only go friday ... and maybe sunday

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    I went by myself for the first time last year was also my first pax. I had a wonderful time wondering around and seeing all the booths and all the people that shared the same love for the nerdy and the geeky i do. atleast in my experience every one at pax is super nice, I even tried to be nice myself I shared my cell phone charger with some random guy for a bit (be funny if that guy is reading this lol) But yea this year im bringing my brother but we will most likely end up wondering around by our selves.

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    I went solo last year which was my first PAX and will be going solo this year as well. I went to bunch of the social events as well as hung out in the free play area and always found someone to chat with. Plus you'll meet people just standing in lines as well. I'll be 41 by the time PAX East rolls around, but never felt out of place even when socializing with younger people even though I am not really a social butterfly.

• Options
    satyr16satyr16 Registered User regular
    I've been going with the same group every year. We just go our separate ways at times and meet up later. For new people who are wondering PAX East has the nicest group of people ever. Everyone is just so welcoming. Never seen let alone heard of fights, physical or verbal, happen. Someone lost a wallet? Everyone makes it their goal to find it. They're just so loving and friendly to talk to. Walk up to a random person and ask what their favorite game is. You'll make a new friend. Yeah, and they say video games make you a violent, shut in, person. It's an excellent community.

Even outside of PAX is great. Go to the Dunkin Donuts or 7-11 nearby and you'll find a few fellow cosplayers about. Last year when my friends and I were headed into the convention center in the morning we stopped at a Dunkins to get a morning beverage. We met a half naked guy colored blue with tin foil on his head. He was a Machoke. We walked together to the center and talked. Ran into him a few more times later that day. People here are awesome. Just don't be afraid. You're surrounded by thousands of people that enjoy the same things as you. Make the best of it!!!

• Options
    I have to admit that the comment expressed here holds true for people attending PAX and does not necessarily represent your normal, typical, Boston experience. Heh. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    BonniesBonnies Registered User regular
    Was my first time at PAX this year and I also cosplayed for the first time so I was SUPER NERVOUS. I am actually glad I went by myself. I met a lot of new friends and I also met my boyfriend there...so next year I won't be going alone. Even if I go with someone, I'll probably split up for a few hours and check out things my boyfriend or friends don't like. If I went with friends, I probably wouldn't have met new friends or even my boyfriend so go alone =)

• Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    As everyone stated no shame in going alone, this year was my first pax and i went alone. Still had an absolute blast. The pax community is awesome and honestly everyone i met was cool. Just talk to random people, you may even find its a small world like i met two people who played on the same wow server as i did (and actually recognized their IGNs).

Try and get involved in some of the community run events too or stuff outside of the show itself.

• Options
    skipper307skipper307 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yea East 2013 will not only be my first con, but I will be alone, and I am pretty sure I will be cosplaying. Hahaa should be quite the experience. But I feel like a youngster hearing the average PAX attendee is about 25.. I don't turn 18 till June '-' Regardless! I know I'm gonna have a blast regardless :p

PAX South 2016: Time off ( ) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass ( ) Hotel (X) Costume ( )
    PAX East 2013: Time off (X) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass (X) Hotel (X) Costume ( )

Alright. Off we go into the wild blue yonder!
  • Options
    DeJarnacDeJarnac Registered User regular
    This will be my first con of any kind and I'll be going alone. I appreciate any tips on making it more enjoyable.
    Just bring line-games. Instant conversation starters.
    Can you recommend anything? I have zombie dice...

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I brought Cards Against Humanity, I'd say it was fantastic.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    Zombie dice is the best line game ever created.

• Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    First time ever going to a PAX and going solo. Glad I'm not the only one!

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    This will be my third pax going solo. I'm not a very outgoing person, but it seemed that it was always easy to join in with people in the lines playing various games. Bringing a DS or Zombie dice is always a sure way to make some friends while standing around in line :)

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Disclaimer: I'm someone who has no trouble with making friends in new places.

I always go with others and usually know more others there on top of that. When there, we'll do some stuff together, split up for other stuff. Whether I'm with others or not, when I'm on a line, the first thing I do is start talking to the people around me. If it's a long enough line to sit, I break out Zombie Dice, Fluxx (also of the Zombie variety), and/or whatever other small games I've brought with me. Even if I have 1-2 people on line with me, that still means there's 1-2 free seats in almost any game! :)

Beyond that, there's a LOT of times where it's easier to be on your own. As others have mentioned, it's easier to get 1 person into a crowded event than 2-4. If you're hungry, you get food when and where you want. If you feel like gaming, you game. If you feel like going to a panel, you do that. You'll have more freedom to do what you want.

The only time I feel like it's better to have a group is Saturday. Saturday is generally a VERY crowded day. I've taken to escaping the con for quite a while during that day and just board gaming with friends, sometimes at the hotel, just getting away from everything for a bit, while still having something to do.

But don't let that scare you away, you should have a blast :)

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    WackBag wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how many solo attendees attend the joy that is PAX East? I've been coming with 3 buddies since 2010 and this year they slacked off on getting BYOC tickets, which in turn, they slacked off on passes. So I will coming up solo this year. I'm on the fence about going now since I'm such a "social butterfly". Just curious on how other solo attendees fare at PAX. I usually spend alot of the time in BYOC, but concerned about the rest. Reply or Drop me a note letting me know if my concerns are justified or not.

I'm a introvert and I still had no problem finding people to talk with during my down time. People are very friendly and don't be afraid (sounds like you wouldn't be) to go over to a group playing a game; chances are they'll start including you or talking with you, or just standing in a line strike up a conversation. Even with me being quiet people were friendly and inclusive and seemed to have a good grasp on when to leave you alone too.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    WackBag wrote: »

I'm a introvert and I still had no problem finding people to talk with during my down time. People are very friendly and don't be afraid (sounds like you wouldn't be) to go over to a group playing a game; chances are they'll start including you or talking with you, or just standing in a line strike up a conversation. Even with me being quiet people were friendly and inclusive and seemed to have a good grasp on when to leave you alone too.

• Options
    EndersstyleEndersstyle Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The best part of going solo is you never have to worry about what other people want to do.
    The worst part about going solo was I never had anyone to go out to lunch with and I feel terribly awkward going to a restaurant by myself.

I would say go to some forums for specific games you play (here included) and try to gather people for lunches and dinners.
    Last year me and my friends didn't even go to the concerts because we had dinner plans for different games we played online. Lunches are the same just find something close to the event and make the plans. People will flock make it Sushi and I will show up for sure.

Endersstyle on
  • Options
    ZypherDracoZypherDraco Registered User new member
    I've been to PAX East each year since it started out here. Dreaming of Seattle and never having the vacation time or plans to go there. Everytime I thought about making the trek, I would always fail to do so. Now that I know what PAX is, I'll never not go. And I've went only two days and regretted not having that 3rd day.

Its the most amazing thing ever year. People being themselves is the best part. We all wear masks, but at PAX we don't. We don't have to keep the little kid in all of us on the inside. We change the way we are for atleast 3 days and hopefully carry that all year, with new friends and new people that have entered our life.

I've always been able to meet people. Sometimes I don't keep in touch, sometimes I see people I hadn't seen in forever being a surburban boston local. But I can promise you, you'll have a good time. Even just going solo and doing everything you want to do without someone begging you to go left or right.

With that in mind, every year I haven't done enough of the social thing. I really want too! I usually just jump from one line to the next, eat, play on my phone and take pictures. This year I'm making a pact with myself, to talk to everyone I can. Get into the discussions and forget that I'm solo for the day. Plus, stay late. I mean really late cause the most fun happens when people are lounging on the floor int eh PC free play and console free play rooms.

Also, gotta play a card/board game (another objective). I really want to know what its all about. Whats a good one to start with that's small and easy? Anyone? I mean I'm the ultimate noob to that. Never played anything like D&D but love strategy games like Risk and Civilization 4 and 5 (obviously computer based).

Release the good! ©
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I've gone to PAX East solo every year. If you post at all on here, you can just try to meet up with folks that way. If not, try to hook into one of the events in this forum (the pub crawl and pre-dinner I highly recommend).

• Options
    aj31907aj31907 You all can call me AJ. Registered User regular
    I don't know why this is even a question. I have friends coming with me, but i'm sure we wont be together the whole time. So yes you should go solo. It beats staying at home and doing nothing.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I started attending PAX in 2011 and have since only gone solo. I have a friend who wants to come with this year but I don't know- I really enjoy meeting new people.

I found one of the best things to do was just start talking with people (i've gotten real good at this thanks to national events held by the BSA). I'd ask whenever I saw a tabletop game going on if I could hop in and in turn got invited to a few. When I sat down to eat i'd strike conversation with the guy sitting next to me. It's a great way to meet people (made good friends with a few people from BYOC/Panel lines) and honestly I couldn't imagine going to a convention with people I already know.

However i'm definitely not opposed to going around with anyone. If theres anyone here that needs someone to hang out with at PAX, send me a PM or whatever. If we're having a meetup i'll do my best to attend.

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!