As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    How about HomeWorld

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah that would be nice if someone picked it up.

As long as this thread has been bumped, the staff from the GameReplays.org Company of Heroes section, which was the biggest fansite (I used to be staff there for instance) have gone and made their own website: COH2.org. This is pretty much guaranteed to be the CoH 2 place to be when the game comes out so if you're interested in watching competitive matches/streams/shoutcasts/tournaments/etc. or playing in tournaments or whatever it's worth checking out.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Prisca on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Full trailer out now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPoTKo2OyE&hd=1

Looks... like Company of Heroes. With updated textures and some better explosions.

Which isn't a bad thing. Plus whilst I've heard it described before, those tanks on the ice still looked awesome.

subedii on
    Yeah Company of Heroes was already the nicest looking RTS when it came out and it still looks nice today. I'm a bit sad that they haven't seemed to do more work with the lighting but their goal is to make the game playable on lots of PCs so they didn't want to up the system requirements. I just hope the game is fun.

edited December 2012
    Preparing for War:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr7HyQG-9Vc&feature=g-u-u

Here's a screenshot featuring the UI as well:

coh2.png
    Something curious is the green text above the Unit Card: "$1309080 No Key" .. which I'm sure is the in-game currency. The design is quite nice though.

Prisca on
    Yeah Company of Heroes was already the nicest looking RTS when it came out and it still looks nice today. I'm a bit sad that they haven't seemed to do more work with the lighting but their goal is to make the game playable on lots of PCs so they didn't want to up the system requirements. I just hope the game is fun.

I remember an interview waaaay back when, where some of the devs admitted that a key problem that affected CoH was that they simply spec'd it too high and ended up pricing themselves out of too much of the market. Today though? Most PC's ought to be able to run something like that fine.

EDIT: Re: the No Key thing:

That may just be a reference pointer of some sort that's been left in and will be replaced later on. Otherwise $1,000,000 seems far too large a value for anything that would be represented in-game.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »

I remember an interview waaaay back when, where some of the devs admitted that a key problem that affected CoH was that they simply spec'd it too high and ended up pricing themselves out of too much of the market. Today though? Most PC's ought to be able to run something like that fine.

That may just be a reference pointer of some sort that's been left in and will be replaced later on. Otherwise $1,000,000 seems far too large a value for anything that would be represented in-game.

Yeah, seems like an entry was not found. It happened in some rare occasions before in DOW2 and COH. LUA scripting woes, I think?

So far the game looks nice. I'm willing to give it a blind shot (Relic's games are the only ones I've been preordering lately). Hope it's popular enough and doesn't get bogged down with pay stuff.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Much as I like Relic and their games, man, where does that guy get off saying that they're the first ones to implement a Line-of-Sight system in an RTS? Seriously?

Ah well. On the plus side, I look forward to popping smoke (and flares), and watching how they affect the LOS properly this time.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    BONERS

BONERSSSSSS

obF2Wuw.png
    Much as I like Relic and their games, man, where does that guy get off saying that they're the first ones to implement a Line-of-Sight system in an RTS? Seriously?

Ah well. On the plus side, I look forward to popping smoke (and flares), and watching how they affect the LOS properly this time.
    They keep saying this shit and people keep telling them that other RTS games have done the exact same thing years before all the most talented people left Relic but... yeah.

Info and screenshots from the latest PCGZine article:

COH2.png

coh22.pngcoh23.png

http://mediauk.gamerzines.com/direct/PCGZine_73.pdf

edited December 2012

They keep saying this shit and people keep telling them that other RTS games have done the exact same thing years before all the most talented people left Relic but... yeah.

People have been leaving Relic? Wasn't that just some of the "action" side of the business after Space Marine failed to sell all that well? On a related note, do Croak and Egon still hang around here?

EDIT: Hyperventilating put inside spoilers since I'm not sure this is the case anymore.
    That article basically clinches it, we're going to be unlocking "abilities" and "units" in multiplayer. Not to mention flat unit "bonuses" for using them more.

Man, I have NEVER liked that idea. It's all down to implementation, but I've always hated the idea that you're supposed to work your way up to the coolest stuff, that you need to play for 30 hours before you're allowed to use some things. And in an RTS this stuff is crucial. I mean here's a baseline question: If the gameplay is following on to a large degree from CoH, why the frack should I spend 20 hours unlocking stuff that I'm already going to know how to make use of? Because of some misguided belief that "filling in bars" is what will keep me playing, not whether the actual gameplay itself is good? I've put hundreds of hours (literally) into games with zero functional unlocks but excellent gameplay, and miniscule amounts of time into games which thought I wanted to "invest" my time to "earn" the stuff that's already there but you can't use it until you've paid your gameplay time tokens.

C&C4 went this way, because "People invest". It was appalling.

I realise I'm basing this all off of a short interview, but man, that puts a serious damper on my enthusiasm until we hear more. I was hoping it was just going to be cosmetic stuff.

EDIT the 2nd: Wait, I'm not entirely clear anymore. Was all the unlock stuff he was referring to in that paragraph to do with the singleplayer campaign? If so, then no biggie.

subedii on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    That's basically my main fear. Makes it hard to be "late" to the game because everyone that keeps playing it will have unlocked things and have bonuses and stuff.

I hope it's just cosmetic stuff, really...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited December 2012

People have been leaving Relic? Wasn't that just some of the "action" side of the business after Space Marine failed to sell all that well? On a related note, do Croak and Egon still hang around here?
    I don't know about the "action" side but the people who were responsible for making the original Company of Heroes so amazing (and for helping to make Homeworld so amazing) and so on left to found their own studio, Smoking Gun Interactive.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, seems like an entry was not found. It happened in some rare occasions before in DOW2 and COH. LUA scripting woes, I think?

So far the game looks nice. I'm willing to give it a blind shot (Relic's games are the only ones I've been preordering lately). Hope it's popular enough and doesn't get bogged down with pay stuff.

Yeah, the exact same glitch has appeared in many a mod.

Synthesis on
  • Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So the engine barely looks updated from CoH, if at all. It doesn't even look as good as DoW2... and it's coming out in 2013. Are they budget pricing it or something?

Silas Adams on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The original COH had substantially better physics than DoW2, but that's only one aspect of graphics.

It's $60 but frankly Company of Heroes looks pretty fantastic even today if you turn DX10 on and I don't know what you're saying when you say it doesn't look as good as DoW2. The have made an effort to make sure the game runs on lots of computers, because back when CoH came out it had pretty high system requirements.

In other news, Closed Beta in January, pay $$$ for a "Command Pass" to get access to special events, advanced access to maps, etc. As if they couldn't milk us for even more cash... at least it comes free with the horrendously overpriced collector's edition.

Alpha signups are up and it's a 5 gigabyte Steam download (yikes).

edited December 2012
    Green Man Gaming has a promotion on until the 14th where if you use the code provided you can pre-order the game at a SENSIBLE price (33% off).

And personally? I don't need hats that much and I've already got DoW2. And even if the "Commissar Chest" gets included in the Steam version, assuming I want it, I somehow doubt it's going to be worth the full extra £14.

EDIT: The post mentions that the "Command Pass" comes with pre-orders for the "Digital Collector’s Edition". Is that different from the thing they're currently selling for $crazy right now?

EDIT 2: Apparently it IS different. Retailing at freaking £70 good grief.

If you go to the THQ store however it lists the "Command Pass" as part of the regular edition. But I don't see it listed elsewhere, so I have no idea if it'll be available all pre-orders or just if you pre-order it from THQ.

subedii on
    I think the THQ store is the only place to get the stupid command pass without getting the even stupider collector's edition.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    The THQ store will often include the season's pass for a game in the base price. They did the same thing with Darksiders 2.

edited December 2012
    Meh, I'll just get it off of GMG.

Assuming I get it. All this pre-order DLC nonsense is really starting to grate.

EDIT: Yeah, that's why I got DS2 from the THQ originally.

But then again, DS2 didn't cost £40, and you got all the DLC for it as a result. Here the DLC "Season Pass" only comes with the deluxe edition.

subedii on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    That trailer showed almost nothing about how multiplayer actually works.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    I know, I'm still worried about the whole XP thing and what exactly that's going to mean.

edited December 2012
    Just like with the original, THQ seems determined to keep anyone from realizing this is an RTS. During the Humble Bundle thing I saw people saying stuff like "wow Company of Heroes is amazing, back when I came out I thought it was just another WW2 FPS but it turns out it's an amazing strategy game!" Show the UI in the trailer at least once, stupid marketing people. The ones who will buy CoH 2 are the ones who aren't turned off by a resource counter and a minimap!

TychoCelchuuu on
    To be fair, Blizzard did exactly the same thing with Starcraft 2. The launch trailer was all cinematics, if you didn't know you'd have no idea it was actually some kind of strategy game. If anything they made it look more like a Mass Effect style of game.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    To be fair, Blizzard did exactly the same thing with Starcraft 2. The launch trailer was all cinematics, if you didn't know you'd have no idea it was actually some kind of strategy game. If anything they made it look more like a Mass Effect style of game.
    Yes but that was Starcraft. Blizzard could have tried to sneak it out to the stores and everyone would still would have known about it and what it was. COH does not have that luxury. I agree entirely with TC. They need to get that across to people.

I can understand selling Starcraft as some sort of sci-fi game because people will just buy cool sci-fi stuff. Do people just buy cool WW2 stuff? Isn't the market basically saturated?

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Whee, just got into the CoH2 Alpha. Moving tomorrow, but will check back after with info and impressions.

You're under an NDA so technically you shouldn't post impressions but eeeehhhhhhh. I've been playing the alpha a bit.

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Odd, it hasn't hit me with an NDA yet. Oh well, haven't finished the download even.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I am now part of this Alpha club too.

So fresh I don't even have forum access. I assume that's where the NDA is?

I'll be busy this morning with graduating so I suppose there's no rush.

The NDA was uh... I can't remember, but it was on a website I think.

edited December 2012
    Don't disclose the location of the NDA, it's under NDA.

EDIT: How do you get Alpha access? Is it just by pre-ordering?

subedii on
    I'll quote myself from a few posts up on this very page:
    Alpha signups are up and it's a 5 gigabyte Steam download (yikes).

You can't expect me to SCROLL all the way back up there!
    Well I feel stupid.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Keys ran out :(