As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to Draw Tutorial suggestions??

m.brooks42m.brooks42 Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi everyone,

I practice drawing portraits from photos a lot and lately started learning human anatomy more, but I would like to add a little creativity to my drawings. i don't know where to begin. Maybe it's not something I can be taught, i don't know, but if anyone has a good book or website to help me cultivate this a bit more i'd appreciate it. Or if you know some artists I should check out, or have work of your own. more than anything, if u ARE an artist who does creative portraits and you can spare any tips or advice?.. Here are examples of what I consider "creative portraits." NOTE: These are NOT MINE!!! just examples. Realistic likeness, but conveys feeling and emotion... THEN posted my past portraits, some of them where I tried to be creative, some not, along with their reference photos. Some photos are obviously NOT original and I don't claim to have any original compositions!!! Part of the problem I guess. Then, lastly, I posted the next photo/person I'd like to do a portrait of with intense feeling and expressiveness as my goal.
WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE CREATIVE PORTRAITS:
stunning-creative-portraits-clint-eastwood.jpg
522375_432170743502850_312947771_n_portraits.jpg
252020_1902569237077_1027093875_32130654_5902795_n.jpg
02c-Kilian-Eng-1.jpg
IMG_5204Web_portrait.jpeg
1MarthaBrouwer_portraits.jpg

PAST PORTRAITS I'VE DONE ALONG WITH REFERENCES:

DARKSLIGHTSEDITcopy.jpg
Not the actual photo i referenced, but the same person255677_2091556733443_1381010843_2536414_2631513_n.jpg
charlie_sheen.jpg
9e2001bf4def9429a36c9.jpg
lyssa.jpg
Lyssa.jpg
teal23.jpg
Teal.jpg
sodsoman.jpg
5396109_ori_.jpg

REFERENCE I'D LIKE TO USE NEXT:
Lucy-1.jpg

m.brooks42 on

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    You don't need tutorials to add creative elements. You should just look at the artists you admire, see what they do well, and then put your own spin on it.

Ultimately, it comes down to just drawing every day. Are you able to draw every day?

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    Cr33gCr33g AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hey man. You're obviously very good at drawing. Good work so far! In regards to "creative elements" like the original portraits you posted above your work, you can't really "learn" that, but you can certainly practice it. As wahay has already mentioned, look at other artists and their works. Look at their style. More importantly, look at their works and styles that appeal to you (which as you have shown us, you've already done some research). I wouldn't say "mimick" the style but... take an idea or two from one of their works and try it yourself. Again as mahay said, put your own spin on it and just practice. Aim for a drawing a day, or at least two to three drawings a week if you're struggling on time.

Also, while you are drawing, don't look at just drawing alone. Check out other visual media too like television, animation, film and even video games. All of those forms of media have their own style and flair which you could look into.

• Options
    wahay wrote: »
    You don't need tutorials to add creative elements. You should just look at the artists you admire, see what they do well, and then put your own spin on it.

Ultimately, it comes down to just drawing every day. Are you able to draw every day?

Good question, I try to, but it's hard to keep it up lol...

• Options
    ok thanks u guys! helps to actually hear it from someone else rather than just telling urself something when you aren't sure if it's true:)

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    This is my personal preference, but I've found it's ultimately worthless to use imagery of people smiling for a camera. They are doing to acknowledge that, at that moment, they are having a picture taken. I bet your work will change dramatically if you utilize references that are more candid in nature.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post