As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Coworker sabotage?

2»

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    More importantly, there are a few of us on the board that are decent with linux, if you need any help with something or a concept feel free to ask here or the system admin thread in Moe's.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    More importantly, there are a few of us on the board that are decent with linux, if you need any help with something or a concept feel free to ask here or the system admin thread in Moe's.

Okay, I appreciate it.
    I'm familiar enough with navigation, a lot of it is likely just figuring out where things are (I.e. I know general places to look on Windows; I don't know where a crash dump or backup for a program in Linux is likely to be stored, though) and knowing how to do some system-y things like cron jobs / rsync, etc.

I'm buying a linux sysadmin book to bring me up to speed.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Neville, I'm trying to learn Linux system structure myself, and I ran across this a few days ago: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/linux-file-system-structure/

It really helped me since I have some experience hacking around as a user but don't really understand Linux system administration.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Okay, I appreciate it.
    I'm familiar enough with navigation, a lot of it is likely just figuring out where things are (I.e. I know general places to look on Windows; I don't know where a crash dump or backup for a program in Linux is likely to be stored, though) and knowing how to do some system-y things like cron jobs / rsync, etc.

I'm buying a linux sysadmin book to bring me up to speed.

Good on you. We should be most helpful then. Especially if you're on Redhat or Ubuntu style systems. I know there's a lot of people here with experience in them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    CentOS mostly.
    But I appreciate all the help/advice from everyone. greatly appreciated. :-)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    One last thing, if this guy is still around, be on high alert for any hijinks he might pull to make you look bad. People can be petty and nasty, especially when they've had their nose smacked with a rolled-up newspaper in front of the whole office.

IMHO, his rampant attempts to verbally sabotage your credibility in the office should have earned him at the very least a final warning that any further bullshit would be met with termination for insubordination.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Yeah, anyone who storms out during a business meeting is not going to act rationally.

Watch your coffee.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    One last thing, if this guy is still around, be on high alert for any hijinks he might pull to make you look bad. People can be petty and nasty, especially when they've had their nose smacked with a rolled-up newspaper in front of the whole office.

IMHO, his rampant attempts to verbally sabotage your credibility in the office should have earned him at the very least a final warning that any further bullshit would be met with termination for insubordination.

Yeah, unfortunately he is still around and I have to at least play nice.
    He invited me to dinner when he heard I didn't have dinner plans tonight.
    I felt a bit like Jim from The Office when Michael finally trapped him into it.

I pulled the "Oh I can't afford to eat out" card and he said "Oh I'll pay" so I didn't have much else.
    He complained about how things aren't changing, blah blah blah, but I ignored it all.

I'm on guard, but I think I'm okay for now.

nevillexmassig1.png