As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVD framerate lag during playback

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys. I've been noticing a very irritating thing that happens when I watch DVDs on my computer. Every one or two minutes the framerate appears to drop considerably to the point where the video looks choppy. The audio is totally fine when this happens. I think this is caused by the drive having to "cache" more information off the disk. I looked at my drive while this happens and the green light flickers, which confirms my suspicions.

Is there any way to increase the amount of Data that is cached or just have the DVD continually spin so I can get rid of these framerate lags? This problem happens in any media player I use (I have tested WMP and Nero Showtime). I am using Vista Ultimate.

Mace1370 on

• Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's really odd. I was under the impression that DVD drives read straight from the disk and didn't cache anything. Mine is always spinning when I play DVD's.

Does the DVD stop spinning for a little while and then spin up again when the lag happens?

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's really odd. I was under the impression that DVD drives read straight from the disk and didn't cache anything. Mine is always spinning when I play DVD's.

Does the DVD stop spinning for a little while and then spin up again when the lag happens?

Yes, that seems to be exactly what it is doing, which is why I assumed it was caching data. I have to optical drives attached to my computer, one is a cheap Lite-On DVD DL burner and the other is the Xbox 360 HD DVD addon. Both drives have this lag issue while playing DVDs, which I find very weird. Even weirder, the HD DVD drive doesn't lag while playing HD DVDs.

Mace1370 on