As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halp!- HD seems slow all of a sudden, MSE says "all is well."

MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!!America's WangRegistered User regular
So recently I have noticed that my HD seems to be going slow.

Examples being:
- Watching a video that I have on it, video will pause, then play in FF for a few seconds to catch back up.
- Right clicking to open something, there will be a few seconds before the menu pops up to select a program.
- Browsing the internet using Chrome, I wait a lot for "cache" to load. I tried clearing it and that has not helped.
- Playing GW2, sometimes the game will just stop, like I am watching a video, and then start back up a few seconds later. This does not occur when I play TERA, but that I have on a small SSD.

I did a virus scan as soon as I noticed the issue, and MSE says there is nothing to worry about. It all seems to have started when I bought GW2 and had to install the latest Nvidia driver. Any chance it could be the driver and not the HD?

I don't know the brand of HD (pre-built system) but it's 2x 7200rpm 1TB drives in RAID0.

Steam
So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    How much free space?

You should try defragging (yes it does still help), but when it pauses listen to see if your drive sounds like it's resetting (it'll spin down then spin up). If it does, then it's likely you have a bad sector (or a corrupt sector). It's possible your disk is just remapping them (and going into recovery mode to do it). This is not really immediately disasterous unless it continues a lot.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Free space is... a lot. I have 220gb used of 1.8TB.

I am running CHKDSK and so far everything is good. I will listen to it next time it does it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So CHKDSK didn't find anything either. I can't really hear the HDs because they are on the bottom of the tower which is on the floor next to my desk.

Also, I fired up GW2 again today, which is where I first started noticing the problem, and it has actually gotten worse. As in it happens more frequently. When the pauses happen, I notice on my Logitech panel that my CPU usage drops to 0% and then goes back up to around 28% once it starts going again.

EDIT: So I transferred GW2 to my SSD to see if that would solve the problem, and it did. So now I am thinking about just getting another SSD and transferring everything to it and chucking the two HDs. Yea or nay?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam