As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TABLETOP] [PA CONTEST] Dragon Clash – A Card Game Of Strategic Dragon Combat!

TubeTube Registered User admin
splash_dragons.jpg

About Dragon Clash
Dragon Clash (dragonclash.com) is the exciting card game of strategic dragon combat. Within each deck you control a mighty beast of legend, raising a dragon from hatchling to elder wyrm. Train it in a variety of deadly attacks and bless it with powerful gifts. Battle your friends and unleash your dragon’s fury, feast on their hoard, and capture the treasured dragon egg to complete your conquest! Each Dragon Clash Game Deck is complete and ready-to-play, featuring a unique dragon and style, belonging to one of four elemental breeds. Can you master the explosive red dragons, the crafty blues, the magical silvers, and the unstoppable browns? Victory lies in your claw!

Dragon Clash is set in a war-torn, modern-day world. After suffering centuries of war, pollution, and neglect, the dying spirit of Earth, known as Gaia, has called out to her last defenders in a desperate plea for life. Those defenders are dragons, each born from the destruction wrought by the human race and bound to the elemental weaves of Gaia. A savage red dragon may rise from nuclear fire, a shifty blue from the oil soaked oceans, a mad silver from the smog-filled skies, and a hungry brown dragon from the poisoned ground of a toxic waste dump.

Dragon Clash is designed by indie developer Marc Aranha, through WarSpider Entertainment, LLC, and is published through The Game Crafter.

dragon-clash-17.jpg

Dragon Clash Reviewed
Since its release, Dragon Clash has garnered excellent reviews. FatherGeek.com gave Dragon Clash 5 out of 5 stars, saying, "I simply adore Dragon Clash. It feels like a collectible card game without the need for me to spend my little geeks’ college fund to support it, provides an entertaining challenge, and each deck requires the players to approach the game differently, while never upsetting the balance of the game itself. The game plays quickly, intelligently, and gives the players a lot of room to explore and make their own choices without ever feeling confined by rules. The game also gives the players enough time to grow their dragons (which is a lot of fun) and change their tactics as needed to react to their opponent’s choices. The end result is a game that is a great deal of fun to play, evolves as the game play continues, and feels very satisfying, win or lose. Do play Dragon Clash the first chance you get!"

dragon-clash-08.jpg

Deskovehry.com gave Dragon Clash a 9 out of 10 who said, "Dragon Clash is a fascinating duel of two dragons. Everything you have ever imagined, that could happen in such a battle, can be done here. In addition, your dragons will grow and you will train them in many different skills. Every time, your dragon will be a little bit different. Dragon Clash is a game, that is obligation to buy not only for dragon fans, but also for lovers of exciting two-player games."

dragon-clash-13.jpg

Examiner.com gave Dragon Clash 4 out of 5 stars, saying, "Dragon Clash also has a lot of variables both physically and on the card, so much so that it's more a tactical game than a card game. But for players who want to really get into the feel of playing a dragon, Dragon Clash offers the in-your-face combat and breath-blasting thrills of draconic warfare at its most brutal."

Penny Arcade Contest!
We'd like to welcome Penny Arcade members to the Dragon Clash community by giving away two copies of our Rivals Pack 1. This Rivals Pack includes both the Red Breather and Blue Adept decks and is all you need to play a match with a friend.

To enter, submit answers to the following questions via our Contact Page and INCLUDE YOUR PENNY ARCADE FORUM HANDLE:
(all answers are freely available in the information and articles on dragonclash.com)
  1. Which determines the amount of cards you regain during the Regain Essence phase?
    • Magic
    • Ability
    • Spirit
  2. How much essence does it cost to move from Close to Safe range?
  3. How many Event cards can be in play at any one time?
    • No limit
  4. Which dragon has the Taunting Breath attack?
    • Blue Adept
    • Silver Channeler
    • Brown Mauler
    • Red Breather
  5. Which dragon prefers sleeping to fighting?
    • Blue Adept
    • Silver Channeler
    • Brown Mauler
    • Red Breather
  6. What do the dragons call the entity known as Oblivion?
    • Gaia
    • Blessed Mother
    • The Great Father
    • Lunch
  7. What age does a Red Breather reach the peak of its physical maturity?
    • Elder Wyrm
    • Elder Serpent
    • Childe
    • Young Wyrm
  8. Which Silver Channeler attack will help the dragon control range?
    • Lightning Storm
    • Wind Strike
    • Lightning Strike
    • Silence
  9. What determines how many instances of an attack you can have in play?
    • Tactics
    • Ability
    • Melee
    • An Egg
    • A Gift
    • A Hoard

Two random winners will be selected from the entries with the most correct answers! Winners will be contacted via a Penny Arcade private message. One entry per player. Good luck and happy gaming!

(Images courtesy of Deskovehry.com)

• Options
    ThulThul Registered User new member
    edited November 2012
    One minor omission :) Contest ends on November 30th, 2012!

Thul on
    dcForum_sig.gif
  • Options
    GeoffWGeoffW UKRegistered User regular
    Looks neat, though it's hard to get a good idea of how it plays from reading about it. Are there any videos of people playing? If not it may be worth sending a copy to The Dice Tower (youtube channel) and see if he'll do a video review for you.

The Trouble With Robots customisable card game for PC - http://www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble
  • Options
    Left Hand Reviews put up an in-depth video review of the game earlier this week: Left Hand Reviews - 27 - Dragon Clash
    GeoffW wrote: »
    Looks neat, though it's hard to get a good idea of how it plays from reading about it. Are there any videos of people playing? If not it may be worth sending a copy to The Dice Tower (youtube channel) and see if he'll do a video review for you.

dcForum_sig.gif
  • Options
    fallenfallen Boston MARegistered User regular
    @thul - game looks pretty awesome. I am an indie game developer who has been working on pen-and-paper RPGs. Can you share some of your back story how you and the team (how small?) were able to get to this point of on-the-markets, been-reviewed, and off to the races? I'd love to hear about your experience and success!

• Options
    fallen wrote: »
    @thul - game looks pretty awesome. I am an indie game developer who has been working on pen-and-paper RPGs. Can you share some of your back story how you and the team (how small?) were able to get to this point of on-the-markets, been-reviewed, and off to the races? I'd love to hear about your experience and success!

Thanks for the interest, Fallen. Sure, I can share some of my background...

The Dragon Clash card game evolved from the setting and products I've been developing since 1998. The first was a tabletop strategy RPG game called Shalkith: Last Kin, which I wrote/designed in collaboration with an artist, Ola Holmdahl. As most "first" products go, it had a lot of warts in terms of production value, but the game was fun, began garnering some fans, and set the table for Shalkith: Online, a browser-based strategy game released in 2005. There were about 13 people working on the Shalkith: Online team (mostly contracted artists).

Dragon Clash brings the setting back to the tabletop, drawing from some of the great Shalkith: Online artwork (as well as work from new artists), Shalkith play mechanics, and in a format that best highlights the fast-paced strategic combat elements of the setting in a more tactile fashion. All told the Dragon Clash team expanded to about 20 people (again, mostly contracted artists).

Although the basic game mechanics were already present and tested over the years in the various Shalkith products, translating those to a card game was not a slam dunk. I prototyped the hell out of the game using self-printed cards and iterated on the mechanics until I found a balance that worked for the format.

As an indie developer, I knew attracting an established publisher was probably a long shot at best, so I looked into self-publishing solutions. I investigated a few companies, but from my research the top two appeared to be SuperiorPOD and The Game Crafter. I did several test prints with both, and The Game Crafter fit my needs the best. The company also has an established reputation with many online reviewers, which thankfully opened the doors to opportunities there.

I'm hoping to hit a few conventions this year, budget willing (they're expensive!) and continue to explore traditional publishing opportunities, but right now I'm definitely trying to forge my own indie path and, as I'm sure you know, it's tough. Even with an established fan-base (from the Shalkith days), with a slim-to-none marketing budget, the biggest challenge is simply getting the word out. It's encouraging that people seem to be enjoying the game, though, so that keeps me plowing ahead.

I'm hoping Dragon Clash will be profitable and allow for continued expansion (more dragons, more breeds, co-op "boss" encounters, etc.). It might me something I have to Kickstart, but that's an endeavor in it's own right.

At any rate, hope that gives some insight into the origins of the game and some of my experiences. Good luck with your own and happy gaming!

dcForum_sig.gif