As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Blighttown? Well, I'd offer you some encouragement, Renzo, but... nope. You're fucked.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Renzo wrote: »
    On to Blighttown!

I'm so, so scared.
    Immanent tears

gtrmp on
  • ShoemakerShoemaker Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    On to Blighttown!

I'm so, so scared.

imminent toxic!

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Toasticus wrote: »
    Blighttown? Well, I'd offer you some encouragement, Renzo, but... nope. You're fucked.

Blighttown was ok.
    Quelaag probably would've been pretty frustrating if Maneater Mildred weren't such a tank.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    kedinik wrote: »
    Toasticus wrote: »

Blighttown was ok.
    Quelaag probably would've been pretty frustrating if Maneater Mildred weren't such a tank.
    Quelaag is a pretty easy fight, I think, but her zone is really nightmarish. The poison, the darkness, the falls to your death... even Sen's Fortress looks at Blighttown and wishes it were that stressful. Tomb of the Giants without a maggot crown is probably the only thing that compares in terms of pure FML.

Toasticus on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Another invader. I had actually been waiting for somebody to kill me, since I only reversed to kindle a bonfire.
    This one also won, but I survived a dark sorcery to the face. First thing he did was Dark Hand me, though.
    Considering he had sorceries, it was weird that he never attacked from range. Because he did run pretty far away when I calmly walked towards him. I'm guessing people in PvP are super-cautious.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Man, Ceaseless Discharge can go fuck himself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    On the other hand, the design of the Demon Ruins is quite striking. The color palette, the feeling that you are in this gigantic cavern that has collapsed upon itself, the architecture, even how the lava is so bright it almost hurts to look at it, it's quite well done.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Another invader. I had actually been waiting for somebody to kill me, since I only reversed to kindle a bonfire.
    This one also won, but I survived a dark sorcery to the face. First thing he did was Dark Hand me, though.
    Considering he had sorceries, it was weird that he never attacked from range. Because he did run pretty far away when I calmly walked towards him. I'm guessing people in PvP are super-cautious.

That's because there is always a chance you're a Tranquil Walk Of Peace/Wrath of the Gods build.

I swear to god I am going to do a full human playthrough with that build, it's the best(it's totally the worst)

@Renzo

To this day I have never, EVER, legit done blighttown.

I used the master key shortcut in Valley of the Drakes(yolo) and never look back.

Only one toxic dude that's easy to reach(but don't stand in the place where you kill it because two more will start shooting, but they can be los'ed the rest of the way.), you just go down a few ladders, kill some mosquitoes and you are a stones throw from the second Bonfire down there, as well as Quelaag's Nest.

What people don't stress is that BLIGHTTOWN IS FUCKING MASSIVE. But, it also has some really REALLY good loot(power within, first large shield, ninja and crimson sets).

And I need Power within for my psychohavel build.

NOT looking forward to it, lol.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I can't in good conscience skip stuff. I will try my best to see everything Blighttown has to offer me, terrors and all.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    My best advice for Blightown is that the top and base of ladders will always have a lit torch.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Speaking of toxic, are the bloated undead corpsesplosions in painted world guaranteed toxic, or can enough resistance protect you? It isn't too big of a deal since any encounter with them is 30 seconds in a semi safe route to the bonfire, but it's slightly annoying

I ate an engineer
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    It isn't instant, I've rolled out of the explosion cloud at 80% of the bar and prevented it.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    My best advice for Blightown is that the top and base of ladders will always have a lit torch.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

edited December 2012
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Also, always keep your shield raised and probably switch it out for the spider shield (higher poison/toxic resist). Sometimes it's so dark that you can't see the blowdarts hitting you until you notice that toxic bar starting to climb.

Another piece of advice: spend some time in darkroot farming the ents/demon bushes. They drop both poison and toxic cures like candy.

And about the infected barbarians. Even through a block they will increase your poison meter. Their overhead smash is pretty easy to parry, but they're easier to aggressively circle around and backstab. Like all enemies in Dark Souls, try to aggro them one at a time.

DoctorArch on
    I'll bring the Spider Shield with me, then. And I already have a bunch of poison and toxic cures from farming those demon bushes when I was en route to the Moonlight Butterfly and Sif.

There is never a time when I'm NOT holding my shield up. I do it instinctively since Demon's Souls.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am totally 100% dual wielding next playthrough. No shield funtimes.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I just beat it for the first time. Holy shit. Yeah, I know the real Dark Souls begins here, yadda yadda... but I fucking did it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, it took me a whole year, and I just smote Gwyn's ass all over the shop. Greatest gaming moment of my life.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Aistan wrote: »
    With the master key, the taurus and capra demons are entirely optional, as is all of the depths. Even without it the depths and capra can be skipped.

I love how the level layout of this game all fits together.

Wait, how would one skip the Depths without the Master Key? I thought it was needed to skip through Valley of the Drakes into lower Blight?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how either. You use the master key to get into blighttown from the valley of drakes or you defeat the gaping dragon and unlock the door into blighttown there. At least, those are the only two ways in I can think of.

Oh hmm, perhaps if you kill Sif, go through NL Ruins and kill the guy with the abyss key, you can go down and drain the water/defeat the four kings. Then you could exit out of the big gates into the valley of the drakes and cross up into the blighttown back entrance.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    It's easy enough man.

Undead Parish --> Darkroot Garden/Basin --> Elevator to Valley of Drakes --> Blighttown (pick up New Londo key near back entrance).

Then you can always use it to open the New Londo door and hop back up to Firelink.

vagrant_winds on
    edited December 2012
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Darkroot elevator. It wasn't one I took very often. Are you able to defeat Four Kings before ringing the bells, or is there a solid fog wall like with the other 3 Lord Soul bosses?

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Darkroot elevator. It wasn't one I took very often. Are you able to defeat Four Kings before ringing the bells, or is there a solid fog wall like with the other 3 Lord Soul bosses?
    You are. In fact, that's how you access the darkwraith covenant.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Both bells or either bell?

You can do New londo right after the asylum, if you wanted to.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Anytime before you hand evil Frampt the Lordvessel.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Speaking of toxic, are the bloated undead corpsesplosions in painted world guaranteed toxic, or can enough resistance protect you? It isn't too big of a deal since any encounter with them is 30 seconds in a semi safe route to the bonfire, but it's slightly annoying
    Kill them with fire and they don't burst into a cloud. Backstabbing them is also safe, since the kick animation knocks them far enough away as they die that the cloud won't affect you unless they were face-to-face with a wall when you stabbed them. Or just damage them normally and then finish them off from a distance with locked-on arrows or throwing knives.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you don't have the Lordvessel you have to kill Ingward for the seal key, but yeah, Four Kings are always open as long as you have the Covenant of Artorias.

edited December 2012
    If you don't have the Lordvessel you have to kill Ingward for the seal key, but yeah, Four Kings are always open as long as you have the Covenant of Artorias.

However there's a bug on the PC version (and PC version only) where he won't drop the key on NG+ when killed. Thus the game becomes unwinnable unless you hack the key into your save file.

vagrant_winds on
    Starting NG+, busted through the Gargoyles in under an hour. It's amazing how much of this game is muscle memory. I was surprised to find that the standard Burg enemies still go down in one hit on NG+, but holy crap, their damage is through the roof. Losing half my HP to a single hit from a Undead Warrior, and I'm wearing Havel's suit!

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Speaking of bugged: When I finally got the Lordvessel, I... fell into Frampt's hole before talking to him. I placed the Lordvessel (I had to), teleported out, and then Frampt said I'm not worthy to be the chosen one and has disappeared. It's... rather odd.

I haven't actually tried killing bosses after that, but I hope I haven't fucked things up too badly.

I ate an engineer
    Nope. You can still get the endings just fine. All that happened is you've lost the ability to sell items

M A G I K A Z A M
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Yeah he doesn't seem to like you going down without him swallowing first.

I tried to make it not sound filthy, but I could only come up with he doesn't like you exploring his hole without talking to him first.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    However there's a bug on the PC version (and PC version only) where he won't drop the key on NG+ when killed. Thus the game becomes unwinnable unless you hack the key into your save file.
    Unless something changed in the past couple of weeks you can't hack PC save files. Oh sure, plenty of forums where they link to the 360 save editor and hacky "kill yourself, then retrieve and save before editing" instructions, but it never generates valid save files. All the hacking is in-memory, which is only really useful to PVP cheaters.

Glal on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    I think the game just assumes that if Frampt isn't there when you placed the Lordvessel, you must be working with Kaathe.

Titanite Demon went down like a chump to my standard videogame-methods.

Glal wrote: »
    Unless something changed in the past couple of weeks you can't hack PC save files. Oh sure, plenty of forums where they link to the 360 save editor and hacky "kill yourself, then retrieve and save before editing" instructions, but it never generates valid save files. All the hacking is in-memory, which is only really useful to PVP cheaters.

There's actually a youtube video showing how to memory hack your cell key into the 4kings key to fix this.

• Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    Blighttown feels big the first few times you do it, but once you know your way around and know where the toxic dart guys are (and know that the Spider Shield completely prevents toxic build-up of darts you block), you can run through and loot everything from the first bonfire to the second in like 30 minutes.

@Renzo - If you haven't already, go into your options and turn off camera wall correction and target auto-toggle. These two things can both cause the camera direction to change suddenly, which often results in you running off the edge of something tall.

Suddenly shortcuts everywhere!

edited December 2012
    Adam Bomb wrote: »
    Blighttown feels big the first few times you do it, but once you know your way around and know where the toxic dart guys are (and know that the Spider Shield completely prevents toxic build-up of darts you block), you can run through and loot everything from the first bonfire to the second in like 30 minutes.

@Renzo - If you haven't already, go into your options and turn off camera wall correction and target auto-toggle. These two things can both cause the camera direction to change suddenly, which often results in you running off the edge of something tall.

Ooh, that has almost happened several times. I'll do that the next time I play!

It's interesting reading "If you know exactly what you are doing and are geared appropriately, it takes 30 minutes to reach the next checkpoint"

I guess I'll have to block out a good chunk of time for Blighttown.

Renzo on
This discussion has been closed.