As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel NOW! - The Future is NOW! Page One NS56k

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Again, I think an actual story is better than a possible future story that could never even happen.

I get the sentiment of not wanting these characters to possibly die, but saying "X can't die because maybe a writer will have an awesome story with them 6 years from now!" is kind of a shitty excuse and roadblocks writers.

I'd rather it not go that far, but if you're going to do it, do it hard. Let it be the culmination of something grand. These are stories of heroism. These should be heroic, powerful deaths. The writer should ask themselves, "am I willing to cut off all these future stories?" That should weigh on them.

Xavier's death in AvX is not an example of doing it hard.

Death is currently too cheap. Too easy. I want to shock people, so X is going to die.

You trust Hopeless to do otherwise, but the first issue gave me the opposite impression. X-Men Season One was good, but not anything that convinced me he deserved more trust.

But there's value in doing the OPPOSITE, too. At their core, most superheroes are human, or something akin to that. Giving them messy, tragic, ultimate pointless deaths, while unfortunate, can have a hell of an impact on a story. If AA can balance that with how Issue 1 went down? It could be the freshest thing to happen to the way we approach death in comics in a long time.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I can agree with that, but would also argue that the death in AA 1 wasn't pointless at all.

CYpGAPn.png
    I know, which is why I said I hoped to have contrast TO Issue 1.

Yeah well words are hard

CYpGAPn.png
    edited December 2012
    so is figuring out the difference between tigers and leopards @The Betman

WeedLordVegeta on
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    you are such a cool guy

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I wonder if you made a mandate that for one year, there would be no deaths in Marvel comics, see if the writers could actually work with that.

Shocking increase in coma cases.

The Duke Debacle

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    The Betman wrote: »
    you are such a cool guy
    is there a sarcastic agree button

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    surely you man an ironic agree button

instead of awesome and agree

agree and ironically agree

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Here's the thing about AA. Do you honestly think it's going to end with one single survivor / bad guy wins?
    Because man, I hope not.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Again, I think an actual story is better than a possible future story that could never even happen.

I get the sentiment of not wanting these characters to possibly die, but saying "X can't die because maybe a writer will have an awesome story with them 6 years from now!" is kind of a shitty excuse and roadblocks writers.

I'd rather it not go that far, but if you're going to do it, do it hard. Let it be the culmination of something grand. These are stories of heroism. These should be heroic, powerful deaths. The writer should ask themselves, "am I willing to cut off all these future stories?" That should weigh on them.

Death is currently too cheap. Too easy. I want to shock people, so X is going to die.

You trust Hopeless to do otherwise, but the first issue gave me the opposite impression. X-Men Season One was good, but not anything that convinced me he deserved more trust.

But there's value in doing the OPPOSITE, too. At their core, most superheroes are human, or something akin to that. Giving them messy, tragic, ultimate pointless deaths, while unfortunate, can have a hell of an impact on a story. If AA can balance that with how Issue 1 went down? It could be the freshest thing to happen to the way we approach death in comics in a long time.
    Here's the thing about AA. Do you honestly think it's going to end with one single survivor / bad guy wins?
    Because man, I home not.

While I still have misgivings about AA I understand that death can be used as a powerful story telling tool, however I also hope that despite the fact that many characters I care about are in the sights so to speak I truly hope that death is death in this series. Too many times death is a stop off for many powerful characters to rest and move aside for a time, case in point Charles Xavier dying had no impact whatsoever with me. As much as I love the X-men he has died too many tiems and come back too many times. if the impact of AA is to last then the characters lost have to be well and truly gone.

• DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

Because man, I home not.

While I still have misgivings about AA I understand that death can be used as a powerful story telling tool, however I also hope that despite the fact that many characters I care about are in the sights so to speak I truly hope that death is death in this series. Too many times death is a stop off for many powerful characters to rest and move aside for a time, case in point Charles Xavier dying had no impact whatsoever with me. As much as I love the X-men he has died too many tiems and come back too many times. if the impact of AA is to last then the characters lost have to be well and truly gone.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gillen might be a mad genius.

Quire.jpg
    He certainly is a genius

cannot wait for his Young Avengers

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    He certainly is a genius

cannot wait for his Young Avengers

Yeah but the more he talks the more I feel convinced that Land wasn't a bad thing for the book. Convincing meof that is amazing.

Quire.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think Avengers Academy's death was just voided out because of what other comics I got that week, and a good example of why it's hard to take death seriously in comics a lot of the times.
    I read AA, was saddened by Mettle, it hit right, was a bit mad cause i liked Mettle, but I'm always willing to see a story thru. But then I read Marvel Universe vs Avengers right after it, and there's Mettle in the Future being all alive. So it becomes a , well which one is gonna end up correct/knowing he'll probably be back anyway realization.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think Avengers Academy's death was just voided out because of what other comics I got that week, and a good example of why it's hard to take death seriously in comics a lot of the times.
    I read AA, was saddened by Mettle, it hit right, was a bit mad cause i liked Mettle, but I'm always willing to see a story thru. But then I read Marvel Universe vs Avengers right after it, and there's Mettle in the Future being all alive. So it becomes a , well which one is gonna end up correct/knowing he'll probably be back anyway realization.

Aren't the vs titles non canon?

Yeah they definitely are not canon

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Like I said in the grievance thread, Gillen would make a fine politician.

Ya, Vs aren't truly canon ( but seriously , "in canon" has even less meaning than "dead" does in comics lately)

It was still weird to go from one to the other tho.

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    just read x-men legacy #2

i gotta say, i really like where this is going

a lot more interesting than i ever expected.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    X-Men Legacy does indeed have two awesome issues so far.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i don't know anything about the dude in x-men legacy

but man i am completely onboard for that book

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

He caused the first Age of Apocalypse storyline. I have no idea what Legion has been up to since.

steam_sig.png
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Bullio wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »

He caused the first Age of Apocalypse storyline. I have no idea what Legion has been up to since.

Since then he's resurfaced with many more personalities and has been working on and off with Xavier and the other Legacy mutants to try to control them. He had a big part in the recent Age of X event.

And I too am enjoying the new Legacy so far. I'm excited to see where it goes but this title, along with Avengers Arena, I'm still skeptical of them being able to get a full ongoing out of it.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    What's odd about legion is there's a legitimate chance all of the personalities used to be real people.

Im gonna trade wait for legacy. I like it but I have so many damn titles already.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Crap weasels. This double/triple/whatever shipping Marvel's doing is an absolute killer this week.

I see at least 12 titles I'm gonna be picking up on Wednesday.

This is just to get stuff out before the holidays, right? I mean, they'll eventually go back to being monthly on some of this stuff?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    it's a combination of them front loading the NOW titles because of lots of lead time/getting a lot of issues out quickly to establish the new books and the fact that they are essentially shipping 2 weeks worth of books this week because of the holidays

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm gonna dread this week aren't I? I'll actually quote my stuff in the new release thread when it hits again, so we can all laugh at my wallet together!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yow, I'm looking at 11 must-buys and 6 maybes

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i chose to not look at the release list based on all of your reactions.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh hey, I was only looking at Marvel's release calendar before, but it looks like Saga #8 is out tomorrow too!

hooray for irresponsible expenditures within a week of christmas!

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I have literally no dollars for comics this week.

Which is the worst because there are so many books out.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I need more cosmic in my life.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I need less Loeb in my cosmic.

So April is the last month for Marvel Now launches according to Brevoort.

And we know Heroes for Hire is gonna be one.

CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

That cover is so perfect.

If I knew nothing about the comic I would pick it up just for it.

This discussion has been closed.