As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Jesus.

Duke's archives is kicking my ass.

It's so hard to pull just one guy at a time, I'm almost out of arrows and now I'm in the cell area which means I can't warp out to resupply.

I'm beginning to regret starting here. The weird blue creatures haven't been too much of a problem, but trying to go up that ladder to the music player instantly aggros two snake men warriors and two snake mages. Managed to kill then but there went almost all my Estus.

On the plus side, I've finally learned to reliably back stab.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Heh, got summoned once all night, and died right before victory. Got some neat equipment today, though.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jesus.

Duke's archives is kicking my ass.

It's so hard to pull just one guy at a time, I'm almost out of arrows and now I'm in the cell area which means I can't warp out to resupply.

I'm beginning to regret starting here. The weird blue creatures haven't been too much of a problem, but trying to go up that ladder to the music player instantly aggros two snake men warriors and two snake mages. Managed to kill then but there went almost all my Estus.

On the plus side, I've finally learned to reliably back stab.
    Getting to the alarm is actually easy. You drop DOWN on them. Not go up. I'll see if I have a character in level range though to assist.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Dash-attacks are still pretty effective. I lure, run away, and run back to attack. I haven't seen a good AI-response to it except when I miss.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    PLA wrote: »
    Dash-attacks are still pretty effective. I lure, run away, and run back to attack. I haven't seen a good AI-response to it except when I miss.

Regarding this, I absolutely love the one-handed heavy attack on the Large Club. It has a bit of delay before a big step forward with a low sweeping strike, and that delay (combined with the distance) is the PERFECT length to catch enemies with their guard down. 90% of the time it seems like they attack IMMEDIATELY as I start swinging, taking a shin full of club and staggering them.

Also, in other silly item fun: I tried out the Demon Spear for a bit, which has a similar heavy attack with a really long windup. However, the fun part about this windup is that you crouch really low to the ground, to the point that the Spear Silver Knights in Anor Londo are literally unable to hit you during this animation: you're below the arc of all of their attacks (aside from the shield bash which you can stand far enough away from anyway). The timing on it is awkward and sometimes leads to it getting blocked or missing, and uses tons of stamina, but goddamn if it isn't funny to just duck under an entire combo and then jab 'em in the groin.

Garthor on
  • Options
    cassiusregicidecassiusregicide Registered User regular
    Just rang the second bell. I am really having a blast with this game. Summoned my first player for the fight with Queleg and it was really interesting. I felt more comradeship with a random person whom I exchanged bows with and fought a boss with, then many people playing random multiplayer games with teamspeak. Time to level up some weapons and then I guess on to Sens Fortress.

• Options
    After I finish up the Archives I'm going to head for New Londo, to find the Very Large Ember. Need to up my damage with my Balder and Uchigatana at +10. Also need to figure put how to make a flame weapon.

Where's a good place to farm Titanite Chunks? I have 8 in my inventory but between my weapons and my Elite Knight Armor, I'm gonna need more

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    There isn't a good place to farm chunks until the end of the game. Your options are the two big sentinels outside O&S's room or darkwraiths at the bottom of new londo ruins. Either way is slow and awful.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    There isn't a good place to farm chunks until the end of the game. Your options are the two big sentinels outside O&S's room or darkwraiths at the bottom of new londo ruins. Either way is slow and awful.

Well, I'm level 50, so maybe when I'm done with the Archhves and have the Ember, ill drop my summon sign in Anor Londo and farm those guys with some Humanity and my Serpent Ring.

I noticed the blue things in the Archives drop Humanity. More profitable - soul wise - than farming Rats in the Depths.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I don't want to derail, so I'm just going to be brief.

If you like Demon's/Dark Souls, you may want to check out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It plays very much like the Souls games, except there's no magic, no unbalanced gear checks and considerably less lag-backstab bullshit.

So, if you're largely into the Souls games for the PvP, consider checking Chivalry out!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Just rang the second bell. I am really having a blast with this game. Summoned my first player for the fight with Queleg and it was really interesting. I felt more comradeship with a random person whom I exchanged bows with and fought a boss with, then many people playing random multiplayer games with teamspeak. Time to level up some weapons and then I guess on to Sens Fortress.

I've speculated that online-mutes are better company for the very reason that they don't open their mouths.

When I just got my Black Knight Greatsword the other day, I handily opened the path for the summoner back to where some people were ganging up on the other phantom, who I guess had forged ahead or something, so I smeared those guys over the floor while he had their full attention and the summoner went after a sniper, then I bowed and he bowed.
    Then we watched the summoner backstab a knight, and when it didn't die we put all weapons on top of eachother on top of the knight.
    We made sure a crystal-lizard was dealt with, too. On the spur of the moment I used the beckoning gesture from the roof when the summoner was leading/escaping the boss there.
    I was the first to jump down, and when the boss died seconds later, I turned and saw the other phantom behind me. I bowed again and faded away while bowed.

PLA on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I don't want to derail, so I'm just going to be brief.

If you like Demon's/Dark Souls, you may want to check out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It plays very much like the Souls games, except there's no magic, no unbalanced gear checks and considerably less lag-backstab bullshit.

So, if you're largely into the Souls games for the PvP, consider checking Chivalry out!

I've been meaning to! But this backlog must be completed. Last sale had Chivalry for like $12.50 and I was able to resist.

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    The darkwraiths with full item find is not that painful. I usually get 2-3 per run down, homeward home and go again.

Also got a slab in the 30 minutes I've done it so far.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    I sometimes find myself unsure if I should hang around trying to get summoned, or go do something less nothing.

• Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Adam Bomb wrote: »
    Blighttown feels big the first few times you do it, but once you know your way around and know where the toxic dart guys are (and know that the Spider Shield completely prevents toxic build-up of darts you block), you can run through and loot everything from the first bonfire to the second in like 30 minutes.

@Renzo - If you haven't already, go into your options and turn off camera wall correction and target auto-toggle. These two things can both cause the camera direction to change suddenly, which often results in you running off the edge of something tall.

Ooh, that has almost happened several times. I'll do that the next time I play!

It's interesting reading "If you know exactly what you are doing and are geared appropriately, it takes 30 minutes to reach the next checkpoint"

I guess I'll have to block out a good chunk of time for Blighttown.

Heh. The flip side is, if you don't know Blighttown yet, it will take a while to figure out. All the different little shacks everywhere block lines of sight and can make it difficult figuring out where you are, where you've been, and how to get to that glowing loot over there. So you'll probably hate it the first time, and a little less the second time. By the third time it's pretty routine.

• Options
    The worst thing about B-town is the mosquitoes. Because they just keep spawning and it's irritating having to deal with such a low grade enemy over and over again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cassiusregicidecassiusregicide Registered User regular
    Blighttown wasn't too bad. I just spent all my souls and then mentally prepped myself for a couple of hours of exploration and death until I sort of got the hang of it. That has been my strategy for most of the game. There's a time for prep work, and then there's a time for moving forward. While I'm progressing I don't expect to gain any souls. If I do, then its just icing on the cake. Really helped me keep my sanity.

• Options
    If I ever have enough souls to make me worry, I'm probably trying to buy something, not exploring.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The worst thing about B-town is the mosquitoes. Because they just keep spawning and it's irritating having to deal with such a low grade enemy over and over again.

if you are patient enough, you can kill them all

i know there are tons down at the bottom near the bonfine, i think there are 16 or 20 mosquitoes

but you can kill them all

my biggest gripe about blight town is the fact that i need that pyromancer master down there, but i can't warp to the bottom or the top, so it is 10 minute slog through 20 frames per second mosquito convention

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I found keeping my +5 heavy crossbow on hand made short work of the mosquitos. Especially because the normal attack pattern of my claymore usually missed them.

So I've beaten Quelaag and have almost completed my backwards run through Blighttown to pick up the loot. I admit, it's probably on purpose that Blighttown has such sweet loot to make up for the fact that the place is so tough. I also experienced no graphics lag (unlike on consoles), and with the brightness turned up just a little bit the sight lines in that place are amazing.

After this it's on to Sen's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    So I've found that the distinct lack of music is what unsettles me so much about this game, because everything that does make noise has such a profound effect.

The giant drake in Valley Of The Drakes that looks dead but raises up when you collect the shield? I damn near shat myself when it bellowed and swiped at me. Fuck.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    i know there are tons down at the bottom near the bonfine, i think there are 16 or 20 mosquitoes
    You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I killed waves of them and watched new ones literally spawn out of nowhere in the same spot.
    I suppose there could be a total spawn number?

Glal on
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I killed waves of them and watched new ones literally spawn out of nowhere in the same spot.

I always thought they infinitely respawned as well.

• Options
    So I've found that the distinct lack of music is what unsettles me so much about this game, because everything that does make noise has such a profound effect.

The giant drake in Valley Of The Drakes that looks dead but raises up when you collect the shield? I damn near shat myself when it bellowed and swiped at me. Fuck.

If you think that one is cool, just wait.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

I always thought they infinitely respawned as well.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/giant-mosquito

i guess they do respawn, but if you kill enough of them, you can get a break

• Options
    My God. Duke's Archives.

Finally made it to the bonfire after the jail - the one in the balcony.

Now I keep getting killed by this channeler. I throw on my chest shield, get close, hit him and then he warps right in front of an archer. Their attacks are invariably spaced out so if I drop my shield for even a second to attack, one of them hits me for fuckton damage.

I mean I can warp out now. So I guess the easy solution is to warp to Firelink and restock my depleted arrow supply. While I'm out, I'll also upgrade my Crest Shield. It's my best magic shield, but it's stability is crap and scrambling to switch back to the Silver Knight Shield is a hassle.

I've never seen so many ranged assholes in an area before. Wow.

• Options

my biggest gripe about blight town is the fact that i need that pyromancer master down there, but i can't warp to the bottom or the top, so it is 10 minute slog through 20 frames per second mosquito convention

They don't spawn infinitely, but there are two spawn points and they will spawn about 16-20 each before stopping.

You can warp down there by the way, you can warp to the daughter of chaos which is the bonfire at the chaos covenant behind the illusionary wall by the second bell.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Holy crap. I had some trouble with a knight in a tight space, so I tried some different things in my inventory.
    The Caestus is my best shield when all this time I thought that my shield was my best shield.

Right in the old shield-tutorial.

PLA on
  • Options
    i didn't join say yes to the creepy guy down there, because i thought i would abandon the sun bros if i said yes
    so i don't have that warp

i guess i need to go oswald, abandon the sun bros, then go down to blight town, join the chaos covenant to get that sick nasty fireball for my pyromancy, then go back to oswald, abandon those guy, then rejoin the sun bros

i joined the sunbros without talking to ozzy about abandoning the cat bros, so cat bros hate me, and ozzy is charging one hell of a bribe to smooth things out
    i guess he will buy them a lot of mice or something

• Options
    edited December 2012
    You don't need to join the covenant, just light the bonfire there.

e: Oh yeah you mean the egg guy blocking the path, just say yes to him and he'll let you pass. That isn't actually joining the covenant so no problem there. You can also kill him, though he sells a pyromancy not available anywhere else in the game (toxic mist).

Also for the covenant achievements, you just need to get the Yes - No boxes to appear and you'll unlock the achievement for discovering the covenant, so it's safe to choose 'Join Covenant' then select 'No' and you'll get the achievement without joining.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    My God. Duke's Archives.

Finally made it to the bonfire after the jail - the one in the balcony.

Now I keep getting killed by this channeler. I throw on my chest shield, get close, hit him and then he warps right in front of an archer. Their attacks are invariably spaced out so if I drop my shield for even a second to attack, one of them hits me for fuckton damage.

I mean I can warp out now. So I guess the easy solution is to warp to Firelink and restock my depleted arrow supply. While I'm out, I'll also upgrade my Crest Shield. It's my best magic shield, but it's stability is crap and scrambling to switch back to the Silver Knight Shield is a hassle.

I've never seen so many ranged assholes in an area before. Wow.

Just got through that area again last night with my int build. It was kind of a pain since all the guys in there seem to have high physical and magic defense, so my spells and weapons were not much good against them. I upgraded a winged spear to lightning +4 before going there, but that thing was pretty weak against them too. This character hasn't been to the catacombs yet, so a fire weapon might work better but I don't know. My last playthrough I had a lightning battle axe +4, and that did OK, probably due partially to the hit stun. Anyway, the best approach for this build turned out to be an ascended pyromancy flame +5, crown of dusk, bellowing dragoncrest ring, and two slots of combustion. With this setup, I could one-shot the crystal hollows with combustion. Channelers go down in one shot with great combustion. When it was time to get Seathe's tail for the moonlight greatsword, it came off in one shot of greater combustion with the above equipment plus Power Within. Bottom line, pyromancy reigns supreme in the Duke's Archives.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I can't wait to finish finals and play through this game.

Aside from how good the game looks and how interesting it is to discover new things, I wanna get my +4 enchanted spear to +5 and all of my armor up to +10.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    You know what works really well against the Channelers?

Dragon King Great Axe to the face.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Behemoth wrote: »

Not exactly helpful for us non-STR people

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Quick question, it's dealing with end-game stuff, I'm horrible with identifying spoilers because I don't care about them so I don't know when something's a spoiler, so I'll just spoiler it for safety
    I just beat the final boss of the game and now I'm back in a cell, does that mean that I can't go back and finish off the one boss I left in my game, Kalameet, and have to do the NG+ thing? I thought the game would give me some kind of prompt of "Continue Y/N" after that fight, but just credits and back to cell. That normal?

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Your going to have to go through NG+ to the point where you can go into the DLC again. And yes, once you Beat the final boss the game will move you to the start of the next playthrough after the credits

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I feel like Dark Souls is making me a more competent gamer.

At least it better be, because it's leaving my nerves in tatters.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Well I was planning on starting a new guy anyway. I was thinking about a dual-wielder, but is it me or is Dark Souls big into the realism of dual-wielding. To be specific, the off-hand weapon in a real-world dual-wield isn't a weapon, it's a shield that will occasionally be used as a weapon when glaring opportunity presents itself (which is rare). I mean I've had some lol's from wielding a Black Knight Sword in one hand and the Moonlight sword in the other, but the cumbersomeness of it was in no way tempered by any noticeable increase in damage effectiveness. Basically, dual-wielding just means "parrying dagger in offhand to act as a shield and only occasionally do the awkward swipe attack if you're having sillytimes"?

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »

Not exactly helpful for us non-STR people

Lifehunt Scythe to the face.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.