As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can you rent Segways in Seatle?

Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
I had this idea after looking at the new convention center to rent a segway for traveling through the entire convention, inside and out. Does any one know if this is possible?

5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
Ghost Rider 2099 on

• TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    google is your friend

http://www.glideusa.com/

TomExMachina on
  • gates_apcogates_apco Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    "Does any one know if this is possible?"

Sure you could get one but how would you navigate it through all the people. Even though it's a bigger space it will still be filled with displays, stuff and lots o' people.

gates_apco on
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    We should all get those runningshoes with wheels. I am jealous of every 10 year old I see because they get to wear those.

Waz on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I propose, instead of getting wheels under us, in order to facilitate movement, we convert the convention center into a series of slip-and-slides. They could be express lanes for those brave enough to fire themselves down a thin plastic aisle that was sprayed with a hose. It could be the most intense few days of our lives...

Mull that over in the ol' noggin.

Khoo? Slip-and-fucking-slides!

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Slip and Slides are really painful, and stopping can be really awkward.

Roller-shoes are still the best solution.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    Slip and Slides are really painful, and stopping can be really awkward.

Roller-shoes are still the best solution.

Stopping? You get to the end, you stop. Painful? Only if you suck at them. Slip-and-slides are the obvious choice here. You slide, you stop at the end, you don't suck, you win!

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Stopping on a slip and slide usually consists of the plastic ending (and then you get a grass burn), or a wall (and then you slide into a wall). Nobody who slams into a wall wins.

They would also cause more congestion than they would remove, because you have to go single file, one at a time.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    Stopping on a slip and slide usually consists of the plastic ending (and then you get a grass burn), or a wall (and then you slide into a wall). Nobody who slams into a wall wins.

They would also cause more congestion than they would remove, because you have to go single file, one at a time.

The plastic doesn't just end. It usually ends in a small pool of water and a plastic cushion. Safety abounds. Not to mention, you wouldn't use them for a line to get into a room. And like I said at first, they would be like an EXPRESS lane. Used exclusively by people who would WANT to use them. Not a necessity for everyone. This isn't a water park. They would be a fun alternative to walking.

Also, I was kidding about the whole thing... just so you know. They would be impractical, an unnecessary expense and people generally don't want to get wet for no good reason.

Officer on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    The plastic doesn't just end. It usually ends in a small pool of water and a plastic cushion.

Man, not real Slip n' Slides. The original ones were just a long yellow piece of plastic. No little pool, no built in sprinkler thing. Just a strip of plastic.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited September 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    The plastic doesn't just end. It usually ends in a small pool of water and a plastic cushion.

Man, not real Slip n' Slides. The original ones were just a long yellow piece of plastic. No little pool, no built in sprinkler thing. Just a strip of plastic.

Yeah, but that is wrong. Those aren't safe for humans at all. I'm not trying to cause anyone to lose a nipple.

Officer on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    sounds like a terrible idea to me. there should be about 25-30k people there next year by my predictions. hard enough navigating through there without big ass homo segways.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    We should all get those runningshoes with wheels. I am jealous of every 10 year old I see because they get to wear those.

I fucking hate those things and think every parent that buys their kid some needs to be impaled in the face with a rusty lead pipe... Then again thats probably because I used to work security at an amusement park and those same parents never got after their kids for not fucking listening when being told they werent supposed to be using them in the damned park.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Segway inside PAX: Bad idea. Too many people, lots of potential crushed toes, not enough room, and they're not that manueverable anyways.

Segway jousting outside PAX at 2 in the morning: Brilliant.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Also, I was kidding about the whole thing... just so you know. They would be impractical, an unnecessary expense and people generally don't want to get wet for no good reason.

Doing things for no good reason is usually the best reason to do something.

T:Eelektrik - They're still one of the greatest things ever invented since rollerskates. Sidestory: I remember the first time I tried rollerskating. I was 5, and I had to go up a massive hill that was covered in gravel. I gave up, walked home two blocks in my socks, bleary eyed from the crying. I didn't touch a pair of rollerskates again until I was 18.

Waz on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Slip 'n' slides, eh? So, would we all have to be wet then?

Nah, what we need is icy floors. Then we could slide around. Slip 'n' slides require a person to have a running start.

QuizMaster on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fuck that! I say jetpacks.

Highfire on
    edited September 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:

Nah, what we need is icy floors. Then we could slide around. Slip 'n' slides require a person to have a running start.

You are truly a visionary, let is open PAX with the first ever PAX speed skate! (Skates not necessary, however, recommended)

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

You are truly a visionary, let is open PAX with the first ever PAX speed skate! (Skates not necessary, however, recommended)

All you really need are a good pair of sneakers and some duct-tape. It's the same thing we use for curling!
    Curling is the greatest sport ever because you can drink beer, smoke and play all at the same time.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:

Jetpacks? No way, let's make this interesting. Let's break out the personal range teleportation watches.

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

Jetpacks? No way, let's make this interesting. Let's break out the personal range teleportation watches.

But then we run the risk of colliding with other people. I don't want my nice clean atoms mixing with your filthy-cootie-ridden atoms.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

But then we run the risk of colliding with other people. I don't want my nice clean atoms mixing with your filthy-cootie-ridden atoms.

Bugger colliding, I want to splice with other people, and in the end, we shall become "PAX". An entity of such size and power, we could easily walk from city to city, laying waste to its denizens while smashing buildings and singing the Penny Arcade Theme.

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Better yet. Let's go old school...

Highfire on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:

How about a blast from even further in the past? Also, it would be funny to see how many people can actually ride these damn things.

009791.jpg

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

How about a blast from even further in the past? Also, it would be funny to see how many people can actually ride these damn things.

009791.jpg

I'd shell out 100 bucks to see someone go atleast 30ft, wearing moon shoes on a pogo stick.

Highfire on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

009791.jpg

I'd shell out 100 bucks to see someone go atleast 30ft, wearing moon shoes on a pogo stick.

Challenge accepted, sir. You bring me some moon shoes, and I'll bust out the stick, let's rock this bitch.

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Bugger colliding, I want to splice with other people, and in the end, we shall become "PAX". An entity of such size and power, we could easily walk from city to city, laying waste to its denizens while smashing buildings and singing the Penny Arcade Theme.

This reminds me of the conversation I was having with Trillian the other night about how PAX should just become a colony unto itself.

Highfire wrote:

I might have something for you, Highfire. Power Risers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNZzseSeJ8

Waz on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

009791.jpg

Challenge accepted, sir. You bring me some moon shoes, and I'll bust out the stick, let's rock this bitch.

PogoBall.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

009791.jpg

PogoBall.jpg

Those things didn't work very well.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Getting off the subject of bounce based travel, let's get to the real question here...

Does anyone think having a trampoline area would be more than badass?

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Getting off the subject of bounce based travel, let's get to the real question here...

Well, we've already been promised a bouncy castle. I don't think a trampoline would be asking too much.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    Recruit wrote:

Well, we've already been promised a bouncy castle. I don't think a trampoline would be asking too much.

I would totally bounce in both, and I would be the happiest boy ever!

Weeeeeee!

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Waz wrote:
    Recruit wrote:

Weeeeeee!

And there has to be a nerf area, be it in it's own room or the castle. No differents to me, just as long as I see someone(not me) lose a eye.

Highfire on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Waz wrote:
    Recruit wrote:

Weeeeeee!

And there has to be a nerf area, be it in it's own room or the castle. No differents to me, just as long as I see someone(not me) lose a eye.

They can hand out eye patches at the door, and there will be even more pirates than this year!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited September 2006
    They can hand out eye patches at the door, and there will be even more pirates than this year!

That would only start more shit with the ninjas, because then they'll want facemasks.

Highfire on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:

That would only start more shit with the ninjas, because then they'll want facemasks.

If the ninjas are inept enough not to be able to tie a t-shirt ninja mask, they don't deserve to fall under my cutlass, my pistol will take the cowardly idiot. YARRR!

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:

They would have an all out Ninja vs Pirate war... with nerf guns and capture the flag or something... that would kick ass.

BrokenAngel on
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:

They would have an all out Ninja vs Pirate war... with nerf guns and capture the flag or something... that would kick ass.

And a pie eating contest.. by the gods, this could be magnificent!

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

DANCE OFF!

And I would so join the war... any excuse to wear my corset and hat and cut down tons of ninjas is good in my book ^.^

BrokenAngel on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

DANCE OFF!

And I would so join the war... any excuse to wear my corset and hat and cut down tons of ninjas is good in my book ^.^

I think we could make this a 5-10 part competition. Pirates vs. Ninjas, and it would be glorious. Dancing, Nerf Battle/Capture the Flag, Pie Eating Contest, Costume Competition, Pogo Races, Trash Talking Contest, and so on, if anyone seconds this idea, say so, also, add other contests/events we could do.

Officer on
    edited September 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Recruit wrote:
    Highfire wrote:

DANCE OFF!

I think we could make this a 5-10 part competition. Pirates vs. Ninjas, and it would be glorious. Dancing, Nerf Battle/Capture the Flag, Pie Eating Contest, Costume Competition, Pogo Races, Trash Talking Contest, and so on, if anyone seconds this idea, say so, also, add other contests/events we could do.

Well I do love pie,So... I'm game.

Highfire on
This discussion has been closed.