As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

19495969798100»

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Well I was planning on starting a new guy anyway. I was thinking about a dual-wielder, but is it me or is Dark Souls big into the realism of dual-wielding. To be specific, the off-hand weapon in a real-world dual-wield isn't a weapon, it's a shield that will occasionally be used as a weapon when glaring opportunity presents itself (which is rare). I mean I've had some lol's from wielding a Black Knight Sword in one hand and the Moonlight sword in the other, but the cumbersomeness of it was in no way tempered by any noticeable increase in damage effectiveness. Basically, dual-wielding just means "parrying dagger in offhand to act as a shield and only occasionally do the awkward swipe attack if you're having sillytimes"?

It works when you have a quick offhand and slow mainhand. You can use a piercing sword to get free hits of oportunity in during moments where your slow weapon wouls be easily dodged or blocked.

Estoc (huge reach for a piercing sword) or Velka's Rapier work great for this.

Alternativly for Dex builds the Gold Tracer is a super offhand offensive weapon as long as you have another parrying/blocking backup. It has a fantastic R2 offhand attack.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Ah, gotcha, I was wanting to do that with my main character, but he's a mage-tank, a INT+STR build, not quite what people generally do, but I thought it was hilarious to have a Pyro/Sorceror in Havel's armor standing and slowly casting Heavy Soul Arrow at enemies because he just doesn't care about the incoming hits.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ah, only one Sun Medal today. If I reach more bosses, I'll have more places to help, but it's uncomfortable to leave it for later. I like getting all ten bear-asses in one go.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Not exactly helpful for us non-STR people
    Ah. Just grind to 70 and I can carry you through it. :V

Besides. You need someone else if you're gonna get the boss' tail weapon anyway.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Blargh. The Four Kings are just tearing me a new one. My pyromancy (admittedly, I could stand to grind to better than a +7 glove), my +4 lightning spear (admittedly, I could stand to have a better weapon), and my armor (which is actually pretty kickass at this point, for being below 30 weight for full speed haveling) combined just can't seem to deal enough damage or block enough to deal with the fact they hit with magic damage, and unless I can eliminate Kings as fast as they show up, having two on the field is just curtains for me.

I've got 20 Estus flasks, so I feel like I could reasonably tank through them one at a time except when they jump way the fuck away and blast me with magic that is really hard to dodge with no way of seeing how close it really is, but as soon as there are multiple kings I just can't keep up. My Xbox currently can't be connected to the internet, and I can't NPC summon because, surprise, the only NPC summon requires I summoned her for the moonlight butterfly, which is a joke fight I didn't figure was worth spending humanity on.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I found a decent magic-shield today. Back in the Asylum.

• Options
    The easiest way to do the 4 kings is just slap on havel's armor and the biggest sword you can use, and just go to town. It's actually kinda nice to do a boss that way for a change.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Four Kings were decimated by me when I put on the beefiest armor I had, grinded a massive two-hander to high INT scaling levels, used Power Within and just attacked them as aggressively as I could. Rather than just about every other fight, the Four Kings require you to not play defensively at all.

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    Well that's an... interesting strategy, then. I'm not at all used to being slow, though, since my gameplan has basically been to rush endurance to 40, wear Havel's all the time, and wear the beefiest gear I can get defensively while still having the good roll (Elite Knight legs and hands, hard leather armor, black iron helm at the moment, all upgraded as far as they can be before needing Slabs).

I'll try to go somewhere (Anor Londo? Another story area, since I haven't gotten any Lord Souls yet?) and grind up the cash needed to upgrade some beefy gear.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well, it helps to block the nagic attacks, but yeah. Poise + DPS.

• Options
    I'm assuming with Havel's or something you've got enough poise to simply Estus Flask through any attack that isn't their grab?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Havel's can't be upgraded so it's as good as its going to get when you pick it up.

+15 flame ascended then upgraded to +5 is a fool proof method for four kings, since it's unreliant on any stats anyone can buy the big pyromancy spells and blow them up in Havel's. Well, I guess you need some attunement.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yes. Plus it's got the best physical defense in the game, pretty much. Just put on the crest shield as well, and you're good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The weapon I chose was the Demon Great Machete, which I upgraded to Great Magic +5 or something, whatever the max is. That thing does massive damage, but is so slow! Good thing that it has a wide sweeping arc, so I was able to hit any king if I was just standing near them.
    With that monster weapons I actually had plenty of time in between kings to estus and whatever else needed to be done.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    100 pages. Thread is prepared to die.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Yes. Plus it's got the best physical defense in the game, pretty much. Just put on the crest shield as well, and you're good.

Pretty sure upgraded black iron set is better than Havel's except for poise, it's a fair bit lighter though.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I think it's fantastic that a game released over a year ago on consoles is still maxing out 100 page threads. Great work, Sunbros and broettes. If only I could be so grossly incandescent as all of you.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »

Pretty sure upgraded black iron set is better than Havel's except for poise, it's a fair bit lighter though.

Giants for best defense.
    Havel for poise.
    Paladin for resists.
    Steel for best defense without stamina penalties.
    IRIC.

Though it's almost always best mixing sets.

• Options

Giants for best defense.
    Havel for poise.
    Paladin for resists.
    IRIC.

• Options

Giants for best defense.
    Havel for poise.
    Paladin for resists.
    IRIC.

• Options

Well, yeah. But you gotta spend the souls and titanite to upgrade that stuff. Havel's is the best right off the bat. Yes, it's not as good as other armors are LATER, but if you're a build that doesn't USE those, you won't have the others upgraded.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I think it's fantastic that a game released over a year ago on consoles is still maxing out 100 page threads. Great work, Sunbros and broettes. If only I could be so grossly incandescent as all of you.

I really liked the sound of these games, but I haven't owned a console in years. Couldn't resist when I saw the PC port on heavy discount.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You don't need to join the covenant, just light the bonfire there.

e: Oh yeah you mean the egg guy blocking the path, just say yes to him and he'll let you pass. That isn't actually joining the covenant so no problem there. You can also kill him, though he sells a pyromancy not available anywhere else in the game (toxic mist).

Also for the covenant achievements, you just need to get the Yes - No boxes to appear and you'll unlock the achievement for discovering the covenant, so it's safe to choose 'Join Covenant' then select 'No' and you'll get the achievement without joining.

thanks for the information. you just saved me a ton of walking :)

This discussion has been closed.