As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is a brand new STEAM thread for this sale now

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Let's recap.

@Ashe recalls that someone made an ill-advised bet about Black Mesa Source ever coming out, and mentions it in the thread. Top sleuth, @Sumanai, does some digging and comes back with results.

@anoffday is the culprit. If Black Mesa Source ever comes out, he declares, I will LP Bad Rats (widely regarded as the worst game on Steam) 4 times! It comes out and the Steam thread mobilizes into a unified juggernaut of shame and, when no LP is forthcoming, derision. Eventually torches and pitchforks are brought in and anoffday is properly hounded around the internets, a Steam thread pariah.

Not satisfied with the lack of progress, @Rorus Raz ups the ante on the "stick" approach and threatens to exile giveaways from the Steam thread into their own, forlorn subforum.

Galvanized by this display of Burnsian Power, the unsung hero of our saga, @Idx86, throws down a carrot for anoffday, offering a $50 donation to Child's Play if anoffday can get the LP wrapped up in the next few days. Other forumers, led instantly by @joshgotro and @Undead Scottsman, recognizing the beauty and rightness of this approach, pile on. Dedicated scribe @kal and @minor incident grease the skids with on-going tallies and spreadsheetization, and @HiT BiT puts up an awesome poster for the effort, obv. Many, many forumers step up, giving what they can in pledges and promises. Stretch goals materialize from thin air and will likely cause further cycles of recrimination and (hopefully) redemption down the line.

@CorriganX leads by example and makes himself a copilot to the LP, both giving anoffday the emotional support necessary to survive the experience and accidentally revealing himself as a Bad Rats developer. Unfortunately, the sickness that is Bad Rats seems to have metastasized and we now have multiple incidents of forumers playing Bad Rats without a gun held to their heads.

Anoffday gets it done, and the donation confirmations start flowing in.

So, in less than the span of three days, three months of dread (anoffday) and harassment (the rest of us) are transformed into over $2500 for sick kids and one hell of a ride. This place is confirmed to be an internet forum, in the same way that Serenity is a ship and Cheers is a bar. My hat's off to the entire community.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The classiness of this thread continues to amaze me and make me smile.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I am not a bad rats developer. I mean if I was I'd have some kind of rat as an avat.. Hmm.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Last chance at Zeno Clash

signature.png

And 5 more days on Torchlight, so far no one has entered, so if you enter there's a good chance you'll win

signature.png

So, the winner of Zeno Clash is @Incindium Congratulations, I hope you enjoy the game.

Also, still no entries for Torchlight. Push the button and you'll probably win it.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    My final act of goodness before I start my dodecahedron-themed crime wave:
    childsplay12.png

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    If I have time between playing soccer and seeing the Hobbit tonight, I'll stream some Bad Rats play. I made the mistake last night of asking in steam chat what bad rats is...moments later, I own it.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    You know, Bad Rats kind of makes me think of the Producers. A game so bad that it makes them richer than if they had made a decent game. :P

There might be something to that--games specifically designed to be spite gifted.

Unfortunately, Greenlight pretty much puts a stop to super shitty games on Steam.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    @CorriganX also let me know that he used to have a pet rat. It's true. And as far as I know he never had a pet cat.

Just sayin.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The new Indie Game Stand game is Blueberry Garden. Pay what you want, registers on Steam.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    CorriganX - secretly Ratman, superhero and defender of rodents everywhere?

More at 11.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Hey so I have some Steam keys to give away to anyone who donates to Child's Play.

Humble Indie Bundle #1
    World of Goo
    Aquaria
    Gish
    Penumbra: Overture
    Lugaru HD
    Samorost 2
    Humble Indie Bundle #2
    Braid
    Machinarium
    Osmos
    Revenge of the Titans
    Cortex Command

Post your donation confirmation and then message me if you want one of those keys.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    After watching both livestreams by @CorriganX, I had this stuck in my head all day:

VMAlW.jpg

I lost count of how many times he said it! :D

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Donation proof
    skFuj.png

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Is Crysis 2 a good game worthy of my 10 dollars?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Ugh I'm too cold to get outta bed. But I will make my donation soon.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    i promise i will catch up on everything tonight. my brain feels like someone is trying to drill into it right now so im going back to bed for a bit and then The Hobbit.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »

Multiplayer is bland, uninspired and on PC full of hacks going by the last time I played. I don't think many people play anymore.

Singleplayer: Story is ok. Gameplay is good. Graphics are actually just good, to me they look worse than the original Crysis or Warhead.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    The Proofining
    9xYBT.jpg

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sometime in the next couple days it's my 7th anniversary of being on the Penny Arcade forums! I've been on here for a good chunk of my "formative" years (most of high school and now most of Uni/College) and you guys have been the best community. From Child's Play to Secret Santa, you guys have been instrumental on who I am today. Thank you you guys so much, I don't post a lot but I am proud to call myself a member of this community.

My donation confirmation:
    QKWRC.png

Three of my giveaways are done and gifts have been e-mailed!

signature.png
    Congrats muppetman50!
    signature.png
    Congrats Drovek!
    signature.png
    Congrats gidwani!

And to celebrate my being here for 7 years, here's a couple gifts from me to you guys! Open til Tuesday for G&T Adventure Team:

signature.png
    signature.png

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »

It's P decent, particularly if you have a PC that runs all the DX11 bells and whistles. I enjoyed it.

• Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    $58 was a weird amount, so I increased it a little.
    ItCc5.jpg

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    simacsimac Registered User regular
    Donation is in via Childsplay Amazon wishlist. Due to currency shenanigans the amount and the pledge don't quite tally...

Google tells me the total was $53.26 in those USD. Sorry if that complicates the tallying.
    GrX2R.png

• Options
    RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    Needs Proof?

Proof!

Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Amazon.ca is unable to ship an item from a Canadian hospital's wishlist to that hospital's shipping address. What the hell?

Oh yeah, I changed my billing address to a Pizza Hut so I could order Steam keys.
    Pokemon Black 2 - If I was in the hospital, I'd want a time sink.
    captureazf.png
    Google tells me this is 39.34 US Dollars

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    So, I was really interested in grabbing Rigonauts.. but then I saw that, for whatever reason, they did not include a Gratuitous Space Battles-style MP. How could they not do that? Its BEGGING for it.

• Options
    Are there any games like Pokemon Snap!/Afrika on Steam? I'm totally in the mood for a good photography game.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    donation done
    5rSKO.jpg

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Are there any games like Pokemon Snap!/Afrika on Steam? I'm totally in the mood for a good photography game.
    BioShock, actually.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Or Dead Rising... though I suppose that depends on your definition of good? I mean, I liked it.

EDIT: And I just realized they only have Dead Rising 2 on Steam. So... DR2: Off the Record?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    all you people who don't have 'Y' games should count yourselves lucky - if I weren't completely broke right now, I'd be gifting you all copies of yard sale treasure hunter or w/e it is
    Speaking of, how'd you like it?
    I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I will subject myself to it before the end of the year.
    update for @Elderlycrawfish :
    this "game" is pretty bad.
    I'd call you a monster, but I'm guilty of giving people bad rats, so who am I to point fingers?

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

signature.png
    Congrats muppetman50!

Thanks for this! Now to decide which one to start with :)

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    So, I was really interested in grabbing Rigonauts.. but then I saw that, for whatever reason, they did not include a Gratuitous Space Battles-style MP. How could they not do that? Its BEGGING for it.

I recall watching a TB "WTF is" video of that and the news isn't good. In a game where creating zany things is the hook, you're actually punished in your final score if you use over the minimum amount of parts necessary to complete the stage. So instead of giving you a shitload of tools to make a crazy land-boat that is a cross between a castle and a drunk, you're forced to cut and trim down the fun to win. ZZZzzz...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Choose a game (from list) raffle -- 2 winners - repost - Last call. Rolls later tonight

To: List.SecuritySection8@Imperium.DS7.security.gov

Subject: Security breach. Bonus opportunity available

Body:
    As you all very well know, last week we had a rather major security breach in section 8... YOUR section. Several of the rebel scum managed to infiltrate through a security
    hole the designers of this fortress overlooked. Luckily only one landed close enough to have time to make of with data before our department got the place on lockdown. While that
    response time is a testament to my training, that data was valuable and this is not good enough.

Since y'all seem to be incapable of doing your jobs for your normal wages, management has decided to implement a one time only bonus for the tracking down of this security
    hole. We were able to trance the rebels landing location but unfortunately only managed to extrapolate the distance to their entry point and not actually location of it. Blame
    this on the fact that we only had the delay from landing and a broad section level security alert to go on. I will attach a list of all know landing points and distance to entry
    for our rebel scum.

Its your job as security for this section to use this data to extrapolate the precise point of entry so that our engineering detail can devise a patch. If you manage to
    locate the point of entry you'll be entered into a raffle that the department head, me, will run for your choice of one item on the attached prize list. This is just
    a little extra incentive for you all to work quick. Remember, the Empire does not look well on failure and I don't think any of us want another visit from Lord Vader.
    Good luck everyone. If everyone works together we can eliminate the rebel threat forever.

So, since I know how much you security guys enjoy reading I'm gonna condense this so I'm sure everyone gets the jist:

Use the attached distances to a common point below to find said common point. If you succeed you will be entered into a raffle with 2 drawings for your choice of one of the games on the other attached list.

Get cracking
    Security Chief
    -Olsen

Attachment 1: (click to read)
    01) (32,66) D = 5 * sqrt(2)
    02) (47,63) D = 4 * sqrt(29)
    03) (57,82) D = sqrt(1021)
    04) (78,92) D = sqrt(3042)
    05) (17,84) D = sqrt(269)
    06) (27,14) D = 57
    07) (21,39) D = sqrt(1060)
    08) (13,49) D = sqrt(680)
    09) (9,99) D = sqrt(1108)
    10) (7,7) D = sqrt(4496)
    11) (41,32) D = sqrt(1717)

First roll will get first choice, Second roll will get second choice.
    Attachment 2: (click to read)
    (Sorry for the cheap games -- All I can do right now and still good games:)
    - Magicka Collection + The Stars Are Left DLC
    - Sword of the Stars Collection
    - Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
    - Victoria II

Entries: 5
    Days: 0

hints:
    1) trilateralization
    2) circles
    3) coords are integers

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »

I recall watching a TB "WTF is" video of that and the news isn't good. In a game where creating zany things is the hook, you're actually punished in your final score if you use over the minimum amount of parts necessary to complete the stage. So instead of giving you a shitload of tools to make a crazy land-boat that is a cross between a castle and a drunk, you're forced to cut and trim down the fun to win. ZZZzzz...

Well that's unfortunate.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I'm on my phone over the weekend, so can't post a screengrab until Monday, but my donation is in, rounded it up to 50 dollars for good measure.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    fPYAq.jpg

edit: Oops, sorry about that.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Right, it appears that the nice chaps over at Simply have X-Com on sale. £12.99, which I think is something in the area of $20. Still not quite cheap enough to make me switch from XP to Windows 7 to play it (!), but I'm guessing someone here will want a copy...

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19729/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-CD-KEY-Download-PC

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Right, it appears that the nice chaps over at Simply have X-Com on sale. £12.99, which I think is something in the area of $20. Still not quite cheap enough to make me switch from XP to Windows 7 to play it (!), but I'm guessing someone here will want a copy...

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19729/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-CD-KEY-Download-PC

Tempting.

Do you guys believe it'll be cheaper than that during the Winter Sale?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    all you people who don't have 'Y' games should count yourselves lucky - if I weren't completely broke right now, I'd be gifting you all copies of yard sale treasure hunter or w/e it is
    Speaking of, how'd you like it?
    I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I will subject myself to it before the end of the year.
    update for @Elderlycrawfish :
    this "game" is pretty bad.
    I'd call you a monster, but I'm guilty of giving people bad rats, so who am I to point fingers?

MISSION. ACCOMPLISHED.

This discussion has been closed.