As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android: Netrunner] Ice Ice Baby

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2012 in Critical Failures
cNANR.png

Once upon a time there was man named Richard Garfield. He seemed to enjoy games, and was fond of inventing new games for the people to enjoy. His most popular game was something called Magic: The Gathering which was a weird game that used a deck of cards, but what cards were used was not pre-determined but rather selected from a wide pool by each player. The game proved popular and was played all throughout the land. Each year, hundreds of new cards were made, and the masses snapped them up. All was well, and everyone lived happy ever after.

This thread, however, isn't about Magic.

This thread is about Magic's younger sister.

Once upon a time there was a man named Richard Garfield, and in 1996 he decided to make another card game. Unlike the swords and spells of Magic, this would take place in the future as seen in many novels of the 1980s. The internet was in its infancy, and romanticized stories about hackers going up against faceless mega-corporations were the popular subject of science fiction. Unlike Magic, which had both players on even footing, this new game would place each player in a radically different position. This game was Netrunner.

Netrunner was highly praised: many would even go so far as to call it the best TCG of all time. Yes, even better than Magic itself. Netrunner, however, was not highly sold: the game's didn't even make it out of the 90s with its last set being released in 1999. This would be the end of Netrunner's story were it not for intervention: Fantasy Flight games got the rights to remake the series, and now players can rediscover Garfield's lost child.

Okay, enough with fancy prose. What is Netrunner?

Netrunner was a TCG from 1996-1999 by Richard Garfield. After being dead for over a decade, it was been brought back from the dead by Fantasy Flight Games. This is not a re-release, but a full remake with changes to the rules and theme. The latter actually uses the pre-existing Android IP from Fantasy Flight Games, but the general hackers vs. corporations feel is there. I never played the original, but it seems like veterans are overall happy with the rule changes. There's nothing earth-shattering and a good list of differences between the two Netrunners can be found here.

The game also benefits from a decade of knowledge on card layouts and a decent budget for art.
eHOfl.jpgZ85RX.png

Why is Netrunner so great then?

While TCGs dabble in asymmetric gameplay sometimes (different factions, dark/light sides, etc.), the rules generally remain the same and the cards themselves provide the main difference. Netrunner, while having some shared elements between the two players, has very different rules for the runner and corporation players. It's drowning in theme, and is surprisingly well-balanced and fun regardless of which side you play. Despite being over a decade old, it will probably feel very new and different to you from any other card game you've played recently.

How does one play this game?

I'm not going to get too specific on the rules, as you can read them right here free of charge, but I'll give an overview.

Basically, one player is a corporation and the other is a runner. The corporation just wants to advance his or her agenda of gaining more money and power on the backs of the oppressed population, and the runner wants to fuck with the corporation for personal gain, revenge, or simple bragging rights. The corporation sets up agendas with point values and invests resources into advancing these agendas. Advance them to a certain level and you can score them (higher score value = more resources needed), whereas the runner can steal these agendas to gain their point value. First to seven points immediately wins.

Alternatively, the runner also wins by leaving the corporation high-and-dry via decking and the corporation can win by just fucking killing the runner.

The corporation protects his agendas by playing "ice" that are basically programs designed to stop the runner from reaching the delicious agendas within, and the runner has "icebreakers" that can ignore the nasty parts of certain types of ice. So the corporation has to strategically employ ice and the runner must have the proper icebreakers ready to deal with it. And BOTH must have resources on hand to utilize these weapons.

What makes the game really tense is the fact that the corporation keeps nearly everything face down. The runner won't know kind of ice there is until they are actually going after something and the corporation pays the money to activate it. Even then, the runner doesn't know WHAT the ice is guarding until he or she reaches it. A savvy corporation may have set up three nasty pieces of ice to guard nothing more than a neural bomb designed specifically to make the runner's head explode. On the other hand, the runner can call the corporation's bluff, and it turns out that the ice they have set up is far too expensive for the corporation to activate, and you run past every piece of ice without any resistance.

There's a lot more to it than that, but it covers the core gameplay. The corporation can run traces on the runner, which can give them access to a whole bag of nasty tricks. It sucks when the corporation knows where you are. Likewise, the runner can expose the corporation and give them bad publicity, which rallies the public to the side of the runner and means extra cash when you go on the offensive. Like many card games, there are factions and characters for each side. You can be the Fox News of the future, or an even more evil version of Apple. There are three groups of runners, from criminals to hacker "artists," and within these groups are the specific characters you play as. Want to be an overweight gamer? Well you already are, but Netrunner can make your reality even more real.

Rorus, Magic is also attached to my wallet like an aggressive lamprey. I cannot afford another TCG!

Android: Netrunner is part of FFG's "Living Card Game" line, which means that there are no boosters. You buy the core set for $40 or so, and then there are "data packs" that cost about 15 bucks each. NONE of these sets are randomized, meaning you know exactly what you get. The only real downside is that this doesn't mean you get a full set of singles for your deck, so you will have to trade or just buy another core set/data pack to get all the copies of a particular card you want.

This is KINDA shitty, but let's break it down: two core sets are like 25 bucks on coolstuffinc. Assuming you got FOUR CORE SETS (you don't need four for a full set of each single), that is roughly the cost of a box of Magic boosters, which doesn't guarantee you a playable set of ANYTHING. Netrunner is kinder to your wallet.

There's already four data packs in the pipe, and the first one JUST GOT RELEASED. Finally, you can be the WHIZZARD.

ECbYG.png

Be awesome: play Netrunner.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, a thread. Awesome.

Re-borrowing this from the main thread:
    EhUja.jpg

Jinteki: You took net damage just from looking at this.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I like this game.

Played a few round with friends. Haven't found my corp yet, but I definitely like the criminals best when I'm a runner.

Lots of money, lots of ways to ruin an opponent's day.

Also, the news corp is kinda weak when your enemy decides to just eat the tags and you can't find your killscreen ice. Learned a harsh lesson there.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Okay, so I played my first few games of Netrunner last night... Bit of a summary hidden away.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    So, played some Netrunner... was pretty awesome.

First game saw me play NBN against Noise... was a slow game as we both learnt the rules and generally experimented. I managed to get several tags off but couldn't really follow up in any big way other than trash resources. I hand a number of cheap ICE up early with End Run and this held him up enough to get 5 points of agendas under my belt to his 3. However once he was getting past these he managed to pull a 3 then a 2 the turn after to give him the win.
    I was a little dissapointed that I couldn't do anything effective with the tags, but even this game made me want to deck build.
    Lost 5-7

The second game saw me play as Gabriel against Jinteki... This was fast, he couldn't cover his HQ for the first few turns effectively and so I scored and was gaining 2 creds a turn. This gave me a huge advantage, and I used a code scanner and some inside jobs to avoid his traps and nasty ICE. Was brutally quick.
    Won 7-0

The third game had me as Jinteki and him as Gabriel... He hit my R&D early with several runs and scored after breaking through Neural Karma. I layed done some ICE with a Snare and he took the bait, hurting him and slowing him down to let me defend. I then got cash, and put down some big ICE to protect a Dunebug which I advanced three times. he fought his way through to it and flatlined. I don't think that this play style would have worked against an experianced opponent as they would just ignore them as it is too big a risk.
    Won - Flatlined him

The last game saw me as Mac against HB... I soon realised that their special ability is amazing, he was constantly flush with creds. he got a good defence up early and I couldnt really get at his R&D or HQ. I scored from a tinkered ICE protecting an Agenda twice in the mid game. I made a run when he had just spent a lot of credits and hit his R&D and got lucky by hitting an Agenda, felt bad as it was luck.
    Won 7-4

So, learnt a lot and more importantly had a lot of fun. I really like the game, but really feel that deck building will make the game so much more than it is now. I don't know many people locally who are going to play which is pretty gutting.
    I think that the initial factions I will try are going to be Criminal and HB, but I'm not sure yet, especially on the corp front.

I guess I have a question, at this stage with only the core set are there any good combos or builds that people would suggest trying? Or are there particular cards that people feel should always be in a deck? I'm new to this so want educating!

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Stop making me want this game.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Welp, that settles the waiting-for-Echo's-permission/reply issue.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, there was a thread for the Warhammer LCG in the past. So there's precedent.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well, there was a thread for the Warhammer LCG in the past. So there's precedent.

How many pages did it ultimately make it? :P

What is this I don't even.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, so I played my first few games of Netrunner last night... Bit of a summary hidden away.

First game saw me play NBN against Noise... was a slow game as we both learnt the rules and generally experimented. I managed to get several tags off but couldn't really follow up in any big way other than trash resources. I hand a number of cheap ICE up early with End Run and this held him up enough to get 5 points of agendas under my belt to his 3. However once he was getting past these he managed to pull a 3 then a 2 the turn after to give him the win.
    I was a little dissapointed that I couldn't do anything effective with the tags, but even this game made me want to deck build.
    Lost 5-7

The second game saw me play as Gabriel against Jinteki... This was fast, he couldn't cover his HQ for the first few turns effectively and so I scored and was gaining 2 creds a turn. This gave me a huge advantage, and I used a code scanner and some inside jobs to avoid his traps and nasty ICE. Was brutally quick.
    Won 7-0

The third game had me as Jinteki and him as Gabriel... He hit my R&D early with several runs and scored after breaking through Neural Karma. I layed done some ICE with a Snare and he took the bait, hurting him and slowing him down to let me defend. I then got cash, and put down some big ICE to protect a Dunebug which I advanced three times. he fought his way through to it and flatlined. I don't think that this play style would have worked against an experianced opponent as they would just ignore them as it is too big a risk.
    Won - Flatlined him

The last game saw me as Mac against HB... I soon realised that their special ability is amazing, he was constantly flush with creds. he got a good defence up early and I couldnt really get at his R&D or HQ. I scored from a tinkered ICE protecting an Agenda twice in the mid game. I made a run when he had just spent a lot of credits and hit his R&D and got lucky by hitting an Agenda, felt bad as it was luck.
    Won 7-4

So, learnt a lot and more importantly had a lot of fun. I really like the game, but really feel that deck building will make the game so much more than it is now. I don't know many people locally who are going to play which is pretty gutting.
    I think that the initial factions I will try are going to be Criminal and HB, but I'm not sure yet, especially on the corp front.

I guess I have a question, at this stage with only the core set are there any good combos or builds that people would suggest trying? Or are there particular cards that people feel should always be in a deck? I'm new to this so want educating!

The only auto-includes are things like Hedge Fund and Sure Gamble. Otherwise some stuff like Forged Activation Orders or Tollbooth can come close. For the most part the deck building is more about optimizing your plays than building combos or fancy tricks.

Just for the heck of it, here are the "best" decks I was playing with. I haven't played since the expansion came out, so these are core sets. They were, however, built with two cores.

Criminal:
    Haas-Bioroid:

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Just ordered this from all you people talking about it and watching a couple of playthroughs.

Might consider, in the future, setting up starter decks for a forum game.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Lost 5-7

Won 7-0

Won - Flatlined him

Won 7-4

The only auto-includes are things like Hedge Fund and Sure Gamble. Otherwise some stuff like Forged Activation Orders or Tollbooth can come close. For the most part the deck building is more about optimizing your plays than building combos or fancy tricks.

Just for the heck of it, here are the "best" decks I was playing with. I haven't played since the expansion came out, so these are core sets. They were, however, built with two cores.

Criminal:
    Haas-Bioroid:

I'm confused, "best" based on what?

Best that he had put together he means, or best that he had success with. Not best in the world or anything. admanb isn't that cocky. (Normally)

admanb - in regards to your Criminal deck do you find that you need two Gordian Blades even with your Special Orders? I've seen a number of deck builds with just one because of the heavy influence cost, though obviously it is risky if it gets trashed. Also people ditching Auroras and taking Corroders, any thoughts on this practice?

Also isn't this three core decks as I notice that your HB has 3 Corporate Troubleshooters and theres only one isn't there?
    Farangu wrote: »
    Just ordered this from all you people talking about it and watching a couple of playthroughs.

Do it!

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Best that he had put together he means, or best that he had success with. Not best in the world or anything. admanb isn't that cocky. (Normally)

admanb - in regards to your Criminal deck do you find that you need two Gordian Blades even with your Special Orders? I've seen a number of deck builds with just one because of the heavy influence cost, though obviously it is risky if it gets trashed. Also people ditching Auroras and taking Corroders, any thoughts on this practice?

Also isn't this three core decks as I notice that your HB has 3 Corporate Troubleshooters and theres only one isn't there?
    Farangu wrote: »

Do it!

Well it has to get here, then I have to play a couple of RL games so I can understand it, then I have to get all the cards transcribed to the computer...

It'll be a while.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Picked up the Data Pack on Friday. Was amused to learn that "three copies of each card" somehow included the two new Identity cards. Now obviously that's because they just have the same sheet of 20 three times, but still.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Just to repost it here, my Corp decklist:
    NBN - Making News

Agendas:
    2x Priority Requisition
    2x Restructured Datapool
    3x Astroscript Pilot Program
    1x Private Security Force

Ops/Assets:
    3x Hedge Fund
    2x Closed Accounts
    3x Melange Mining Corp
    3x Pad Campaign
    3x Adonis Campaign [6 inf]

Upgrades:
    3x Red Herrings
    2x San-San City Grid
    2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY [4 inf]

ICE:
    3x Data Raven
    3x Toll Booth
    3x TMI
    3x Enigma
    3x Wall of Static
    3x Ice Wall [3 inf]
    2x Rototurret [2 inf]

It's still surprised me that this deck plays well, but I've only played against my friend running Shaper. Coming up on Christmas is making people to play with a harder thing to come by. So far, the only game I've lost was the one where 6 of my 8 agendas happened to be in the first 12 cards of my deck. I only drew out 4 pieces of ICE, and 2 of them being Data Raven was basically worthless at that stage. But that's alright. I know bad games happen.

I don't know if I can figure out my entire Criminals deck from memory, but let me see ...
    Criminals - Gabriel Santiago

Icebreakers:
    1x Gordian Blade [3 inf]
    1x Corroder [2 inf]
    1x Ninja
    2x Femme Fatale

Other Programs:
    2x Sneakdoor Beta

Hardware:
    1x Desperado (I only have 1 core set)
    3x Rabbit Hole [3 inf]

Events:
    3x East Mark
    3x Forged Activation Orders
    3x Special Order
    3x Inside Job
    3x Account Syphon
    3x Infiltration
    3x Sure Gamble
    2x Deja Vu [4 inf]
    1x Stimhack [1 inf]

Resources:
    3x Bank Job
    3x Decoy
    3x Armitage Codebusting
    1x The Helpful AI [2 inf]

... Well, it's 45 cards @ 15 influence, so apparently I can.

edited December 2012

I would likely drop it to one and add a Corroder in place of the Auroras. It sucks when you don't draw your icebreakers, but with 3 Special Orders and 2 Crypsis it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the Troubleshooter, I suspect the actual paper deck has an Experiential Data in place of one of those. Not sure why I changed the build since I have no intention of buying a third core.

admanb on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    How timely! I just got this game as part of my awesome Secret Santa gift, and I've been reading over the rules in anticipation of figuring out how to convince my wife to play with me.

Are there are any good example of play videos out there that you would recommend?

Also, any recommendations on getting my wife to play it with me? She's not a gamer in any way, but she'll play a game with me if it's fun. She's smart, so I'm not worried about her picking up the mechanics, but I want to know how to describe the game to get her to buy in, because the theme alone isn't going to do it (she's not big on sci-fi).

How does she feel about computer hackers exposing the secrets of evil corporations?

I doubt that would pique her interest. If it helps, this is something that happened recently that might give you an idea of what I'm working with:

My wife was talking to a friend of hers, and this friend mentioned that she was watching Firefly and that it was really good because "the high-tech space sci-fi stuff is only in there a little bit." My wife knew that I liked (and owned) Firefly, so she started watching it on her friend's recommendation. When I found it she was watching it I said "Yeah, the 'western in space' thing is more of a backdrop, really. The show is about the crew." She was sad when she got to the last episode.

Anyway, that's the sort of thing I'm hoping to figure out with Netrunner. The "Yeah, the hackers and corporations thing is just the theme. The game is really about ______ and it's really fun."

Another possibly helpful piece of info is that she really likes Fluxx, because she's good at it (I mean, as good as you can be at a game like Fluxx) and can beat me pretty consistently.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I doubt that would pique her interest. If it helps, this is something that happened recently that might give you an idea of what I'm working with:

My wife was talking to a friend of hers, and this friend mentioned that she was watching Firefly and that it was really good because "the high-tech space sci-fi stuff is only in there a little bit." My wife knew that I liked (and owned) Firefly, so she started watching it on her friend's recommendation. When I found it she was watching it I said "Yeah, the 'western in space' thing is more of a backdrop, really. The show is about the crew." She was sad when she got to the last episode.

Anyway, that's the sort of thing I'm hoping to figure out with Netrunner. The "Yeah, the hackers and corporations thing is just the theme. The game is really about ______ and it's really fun."

Another possibly helpful piece of info is that she really likes Fluxx, because she's good at it (I mean, as good as you can be at a game like Fluxx) and can beat me pretty consistently.

Re:Fluxx...be sure to point out that there can be a number of different ways to play, similar to the various and ever-changing win conditions in Fluxx. Also the actions <--> ticks comparison is a pretty easy one to make.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Denada wrote: »

Secrets and misdirection.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    How long does a game usually last? If we can put the kids to bed at 8pm, get in a game of Netrunner, then watch a show and be done by 11pm, this will help dramatically.

Less than an hour, usually.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    For your first few games that depends on how well you grasp the rules (it's literally like learning how to play Magic, although without too many timing issues), but once you get those down you should be able to play a single game in about 30 minutes or so.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Pretty sure I'm going to pick up my own copy of this. Assuming other people have their own stuff, I just need the one copy of the data pack, right?

Edit: presuming I have a core set

antherem on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Pretty sure I'm going to pick up my own copy of this. Assuming other people have their own stuff, I just need the one copy of the data pack, right?

Edit: presuming I have a core set

Yeah, data packs have a full play-set of all the cards in them.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Awesome, that's pretty much the sweet spot for us.

I'm just going to throw this out there as well:
    I would be interested in trying to get a few second copies of singletons from the core set in exchange for others. I know most people will have bought 2 sets for themselves, but I'm sure someone out there wants a 3rd Corporate Troubleshooter.
    I traded my Icecarver for a 2nd San-San City Grid already. I'd like to get a 2nd Desperado, as well as Akitaro Watanbe. I'd probably be willing to trade any of the other one-offs for either.

edited December 2012
    Okay, so I need some help with my deck.

Identity:
    Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)
    Total Cards: (49)
    Agenda (11)
    Hostile Takeover (Core #94) x3
    Posted Bounty (Core #95) x2
    Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead #18) x3
    Priority Requisition (Core #106) x3

Asset (7)
    Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x2
    PAD Campaign (Core #109) x2
    Project Junebug (Core #69) x1
    Snare! (Core #70) x1
    Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x1

ICE (21)
    Archer (Core #101) x2
    Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x2
    Hadrian's Wall (Core #102) x2
    Ice Wall (Core #103) x2
    Shadow (Core #104) x2
    Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x2
    Enigma (Core #111) x3
    Wall of Static (Core #113) x3
    Tollbooth (Core #90) x2
    Chum (Core #75) x1

Operation (9)
    Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3
    Scorched Earth (Core #99) x1
    Shipment from Kaguya (Core #100) x2
    Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3

Upgrade (1)
    Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x1

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
    Haas-Bioroid: 4
    Jinteki: 4
    NBN: 4
    The Weyland Consortium: 27

So, I have 3 spare influence, and I would like to cut down the deck by a few cards if possible. I want to keep a number of one offs, hence the reason for the single snare, Junebug, AggSec, Scorched Earth and Ash. I am tempted to put a Red Herring in there too.

What do people think?

Cerberus on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm a little confused by what your deck is trying to do exactly. 1 Scorched earth isn't really going to do much, but I don't really use any 1 offs because you'll never see them with any kind of consistency. Is the focus of your deck just standard agenda scoring with a tiny splash of traps to keep the runner guessing?

For the spare influence Data Ravens are always fantastic in a Weyland deck, even if your not going for scorched earth wins, I find Runners willingly jack out a lot as soon as they hit a Data Raven while playing against Weyland.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, Ravens should be your first piece of ice since the runner doesn't get the option to jack out on the first ice.

YL9WnCY.png
    Well, no, they don't, but Data Raven explicitly gives them the option to take a tag or end the run, thus they're never required to actually trigger the subroutine until they're good and ready. Data Raven is quite the mixed bag, and its effectiveness probably depends on your opponent, but it is indeed a worthwhile piece of ICE for Weyland. You really should run both of your Scorched Earths, as even if you don't flatline the runner, you can destroy their hand or hurt them for a bad play (pro tip: Never Special Order the breaker you need if you think you might get Scorched before you can play it :p ).
    I'll comment more later, as right now I have a hard time remembering what you actually get 2-ofs and 3-ofs in the core.

Unfortunately Raven does let them just end the run in lieu of taking the tag, which means the subroutines don't trigger.

Corporate troubleshooter is also a great add for Weyland, jacking up the strength of an archer to trash two of their programs can win games.

steam_sig.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So I bought this + datapack and hope to play in-person soonish, but might not get to it till next week since I'd want to obsessively sleeve all my cards (FFG red/blue sleeves I bought had clear marked sides from different cuts it looks like and Dragonshields won't come till the day of Game Night).

Unless there are OCTGN players on here who'd like to show me the ropes (of both Netrunner AND OCTGN, fiddled with OCTGN a little and uncensored my cards, but a bit unsure since rules aren't strictly implemented)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Okay, so I need some help with my deck.

Identity:
    Agenda (11)

Asset (7)
    Snare! (Core #70) x1

ICE (21)
    Archer (Core #101) x2
    Ice Wall (Core #103) x2
    Shadow (Core #104) x2
    Enigma (Core #111) x3
    Tollbooth (Core #90) x2
    Chum (Core #75) x1

Operation (9)
    Scorched Earth (Core #99) x1
    Shipment from Kaguya (Core #100) x2

Upgrade (1)
    Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x1

Haas-Bioroid: 4
    The Weyland Consortium: 27

So, I have 3 spare influence, and I would like to cut down the deck by a few cards if possible. I want to keep a number of one offs, hence the reason for the single snare, Junebug, AggSec, Scorched Earth and Ash. I am tempted to put a Red Herring in there too.

What do people think?

Some thoughts:
    As already mentioned, you need to focus on something. At this stage of the game, Weyland *does* have the capacity to run traps if so desired, but you'd definitely want more of them if you're interested in going that route. I'm not convinced it's an entirely effective route because if Weyland excels at two things, it's having a good economy, and having really effective and efficient ICE. That is, by nature, they're good at playing hardball.
    You want to be running your cheap ICE because it's always something. Ice Wall should never be underestimated: It'll always cost the runner something to get through (until they get a cyberfeeder or bad publicity, but the point is it's still a 1-credit investment for you that'll cost the runner something all game). A variety of ICE is alright, but you ideally want to have as much of the ICE you want all the time. Chum is cute, but I don't think it's as useful as it seems. A much better surprise would be Rototurret. Draco is, potentially, a good choice for you, so I leave that one to you, but if the influence was available, a pair of Data Ravens would possibly do the job better. As well, a single power token on Data Raven is horrifying to your opponent who will make sure that they keep their 4+ cards for Scorched Earth. In this respect, Private Security Force is worth working into the deck, although it seems to have become a highly underrated agenda since WLA popped up ...

Anyway, if you want to try and make Weyland trixy, you're welcome to it, but it's hard to give advice on it. They're very good about being straightforward and intimidating, inviting the runner to pleasantly fuck off and stay out. I think it's better to embrace that then hope the runner tries to get through when you want them to, but that's just me.

First off guys, thanks for the advice. Couple of follow up questions:

Is my cred generation going to be specific?
    I have a very equal split of ICE, is this right or should I have focus? e.g. lots of Criminal decks around, lots of Code Gates and a way to trash their Gordian Blade!
    What 6/7 cards should I drop?
    Should I include Red Herring?

I like the idea of putting in a Corporate Troubleshooter, and a second Scorched Earth. The idea of the deck is not to see the one offs with consistancy but to have a small selection of random traps that the runner will see and then be unsure of running against poorly protected servers. Also protecting traps well to kill them off with JB and AggSec just gives me options and this is what the deck is about, a solid defence, lots of options and lots of surprises for the runner.

It needs play testing mind...

edited December 2012
    First off guys, thanks for the advice. Couple of follow up questions:

Is my cred generation going to be specific?
    I have a very equal split of ICE, is this right or should I have focus? e.g. lots of Criminal decks around, lots of Code Gates and a way to trash their Gordian Blade!
    What 6/7 cards should I drop?
    Should I include Red Herring?

I like the idea of putting in a Corporate Troubleshooter, and a second Scorched Earth. The idea of the deck is not to see the one offs with consistancy but to have a small selection of random traps that the runner will see and then be unsure of running against poorly protected servers. Also protecting traps well to kill them off with JB and AggSec just gives me options and this is what the deck is about, a solid defence, lots of options and lots of surprises for the runner.

It needs play testing mind...

I'm not sure what you mean by is your cred generation specific. As Weyland you have great cred gen from Hedge Fund, Beanstalk Royalties, and Hostile Takeovers, I usually get a melange within the first couple turns as well, which I will spend 3 or 4 turns collecting credits in preperation for using corporate trouble shooter.

I would try to maintain a rather even split of ice, I played 4 games with my Weyland tonight and realized I probably have too many sentries, especially with how efficient Ninja is as a breaker. Also note that Peacock really reduces Criminals reliance on Gordian Blade. Also I often run criminal with a Yog and Datasucker to blow through Code Gates for free. And an Anarch will do the same.

I would drop the Shipments from Kaguya, I tried that card a lot but really never found it was worth it, you may have a different experience. I personally hate Pads but that is a very personal thing that probably depends on the frequency of Bank Jobs in the decks of people you play with, and with Weyland I find I don't want a trickle of money, I want big cash infusions for Corporate troubleshooter. I run Draco in my Weyland deck but have been woefully unimpressed with him so far. I'm tempted to take him out but probably want to play with him more before I make a decision. I would drop Chum, I'm less impressed with his performance and one of them isn't going to be seen that often.

If you want to throw in a Red Herring I would suggest just using a second Ash, Ash is the same influence as Red Herring, but allows you to spend money to make the runner unable to access agendas, troubleshooters, and melanges. Its not as effective against Shapers with high link, but thats a risk I'm willing to take, especially since Shapers usually aren't hurting for the extra 5 bits anyways.

Ultimately though you should play the deck and see what you like and what you don't. I still don't like the singletons but if you like them by all means keep them.

I thought I'd post my Weyland deck in case you want to see it, It went 4-2 at my league meetup Sunday, and 3-1 tonight against my girlfriend, using both her criminal deck and my shaper deck. Not an amazing deck by any means but a good basis to go on. Ultimately, I think I'm going to drop the snares for tollbooths and the Draco's for Wall of Static. My wins are a pretty even split between agenda points and flatlining, which is why I enjoy Weyland so much, as I feel I'm able to be very reactionary and adapt to the runners strategy.

From your post I'm guessing you only have 1 core set, the only things in my deck requiring 2 are the third melange, the third archer, the third Hadrian's Wall, and the second Corporate troubleshooter. Which could probably be replaced pretty easily.
    Identity:

Agenda (11)

Asset (5)
    Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x3
    Snare (Core #70) x2

ICE (21)
    Archer (Core #101) x3
    Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x3
    Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x3
    Enigma (Core #111) x3
    Hadrian's Wall (Core #102) x3
    Ice Wall (Core #103) x3
    Data Raven (Core #88) x3

Operation (9)
    Scorched Earth (Core #99) x3

Upgrade (3)
    SanSan City Grid (Core #92) x1
    Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x2

Haas-Bioroid: 2
    NBN: 9
    The Weyland Consortium: 39

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
    Firstly thanks for the advice, secondly, out of interest what did you Weyland deck lose to in the league?

The thing about PAD Campaign is that it's ability is essentially, "Gain a click which may only be used to take credits each turn."
    It's not a sudden influx like other Weyland cards, but it's one of the most efficient money-makers in the game. Funny enough, Bank Job is about the only thing that's really a drawback to PAD. Even then, throw it behind a single Casuceus and the Runner will either spend a small fortune getting rid of it (barring high link), or they'll just let it sit. If your game last 18-20 turns, a single PAD will get you almost as many credits, and that's nothing to sneeze at for such a minor investment. Even if the runner trashes it, you come out ahead economy-wise (until Whizzard starts seeing more play, but I believe I'd still be happier to face him that Noise, who basically requires you to put something on Archives).
    Ultimately, PAD Campaign has a lot of plusses ... Not to be underestimated, although I know it's not to the taste of everyone.

Right, put together and given a single test to the below decks. Thought I would put them up for feedback.
    Largely I need to get more playing in, though that is currently tough until after Christmas, and it makes me sad.

Criminal Deck
    Identity:
    Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (46)
    Event (27)
    Account Siphon (Core #18) x3
    Diesel (Core #34) x3
    Easy Mark (Core #19) x3
    Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x3
    Infiltration (Core #49) x3
    Inside Job (Core #21) x3
    Special Order (Core #22) x3
    Stimhack (Core #4) x1
    Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
    The Maker's Eye (Core #36) x2

Hardware (2)
    Desperado (Core #24) x1
    Lemuria Codecracker (Core #23) x1

Program (9)
    Corroder (Core #7) x2
    Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1
    Ninja (Core #27) x2
    Peacock (What Lies Ahead #6) x2
    Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x2

Resource (8)
    Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
    Bank Job (Core #29) x2
    Crash Space (Core #30) x2
    Decoy (Core #32) x1

Anarch: 5
    Criminal: 65
    Shaper: 10

The idea of the deck is to attack fast, with a lot of money and enough card drawing to keep up the momentum. Also it is designed to be a threat to any server, so it features Makers Eyes(R&D), Gabs passive and others(HQ), Bank Jobs(Remote), Sneak Door(Archive). It is all using one set until I get around to buying another.

Weyland Deck V2

Identity:

Agenda (11)

Asset (7)
    Snare! (Core #70) x1

ICE (20)
    Archer (Core #101) x2
    Enigma (Core #111) x3
    Ice Wall (Core #103) x2
    Tollbooth (Core #90) x2
    Shadow (Core #104) x2

Operation (8)
    Scorched Earth (Core #99) x2

Upgrade (3)
    Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x2
    Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x1

Haas-Bioroid: 7
    Jinteki: 3
    The Weyland Consortium: 29

The idea here is to have a great credit flow, variety of ICE and some random surprises in there to keep the runner guessing / being careful. I was unsure of the single cards but with project atlas it makes getting cards needed easier.

Finally, my go at a Haas-Bioroid deck
    Identity:
    Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Agenda (9)
    Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
    Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x3

Asset (8)
    Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2
    PAD Campaign (Core #109) x3
    Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3

ICE (21)
    Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2
    Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x3
    Rototurret (Core #64) x2
    Viktor 1.0 (Core #63) x2
    Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x3
    Enigma (Core #111) x3
    Ice Wall (Core #103) x1
    Tollbooth (Core #90) x2

Operation (7)
    Archived Memories (Core #58) x2
    Precognition (Core #73) x2

Upgrade (4)
    Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x2
    Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x1
    Akitaro Watanabe (Core #79) x1

Total Agenda Points: 21

Haas-Bioroid: 35
    Jinteki: 8
    The Weyland Consortium: 1

Feedback massively welcome...

*only gets a chance to look at Weyland deck*

Only change I would make, is dropping the two Shadows (they're only so much of a threat with the potential for tags, and otherwise the runner generally just laughs and keeps going without spending any credits - not something you want) and adding a 3rd Caduceus (does Shadow's job better) and a 3rd Draco (tags + ETR, as well as a better rez cost). Those are simple changes that I believe would suit your deck.