As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2 TERRAN]We mostly shoot the shit now. Sometimes Vanu.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I logged in last night, and got hot dropped into battle right in front of an enemy tank. I died and logged out.

I kinda dig tutorials where the first lesson is how to move and shoot rather than how to look at the respawn screen.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    So I logged in last night, and got hot dropped into battle right in front of an enemy tank. I died and logged out.

I kinda dig tutorials where the first lesson is how to move and shoot rather than how to look at the respawn screen.

Why didn't you just respawn somewhere?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Kruis08Kruis08 Registered User regular

If you know basic FPS skills then you are useful, other than that its all about learning icons and getting with an outfit

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, the only issue for me is how they do the tutorial. It should give you like a pre-deployment area to adjust your fucking settings then go 'right, now we're gonna drop you ass deep into the war because fuck yeah, you have a jet-pack, you have a gun, you know what to do' That'd be fine for me. I think it's just the pure bluntless of not explaining anything at all and giving no time to acclimistise is the issue.

Also, they should rip-off the L4D method of multiplayer tutorial where it just highlights important stuff and explains it a bit.

In other news, TR still have best guns in game.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Yeah, the only issue for me is how they do the tutorial. It should give you like a pre-deployment area to adjust your fucking settings then go 'right, now we're gonna drop you ass deep into the war because fuck yeah, you have a jet-pack, you have a gun, you know what to do' That'd be fine for me. I think it's just the pure bluntless of not explaining anything at all and giving no time to acclimistise is the issue.

Also, they should rip-off the L4D method of multiplayer tutorial where it just highlights important stuff and explains it a bit.

Even if they just dropped you off at a warpgate it'd be a ton better. You'd have a chance to figure out something before you got out to a battle.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Kruis08Kruis08 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Even if they just dropped you off at a warpgate it'd be a ton better. You'd have a chance to figure out something before you got out to a battle.

Then you would have a bunch of BR1s running around the spawn area going /y WHAT DO I DO?

Getting hotdropped is much better in my opinion, but they should do a quick "These are the symbols that are important, shoot the reds" type tutorial instead of that stupid speech at the beginning.

• Options
    Kruis08 wrote: »

Then you would have a bunch of BR1s running around the spawn area going /y WHAT DO I DO?

Getting hotdropped is much better in my opinion, but they should do a quick "These are the symbols that are important, shoot the reds" type tutorial instead of that stupid speech at the beginning.

Yeah this. Dropping them at the warp gate forces them to figure out what all the stuff there does, where they should be going etc. Hot dropping at least basically shoves the awesome in dudes face "well your mouse sensitivity may be fucked, and your graphics may put you to ten frames a second, but check out all the DUDES!" is a pretty nice intro, even if it's not perfect.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Kruis08 wrote: »

Yeah this. Dropping them at the warp gate forces them to figure out what all the stuff there does, where they should be going etc. Hot dropping at least basically shoves the awesome in dudes face "well your mouse sensitivity may be fucked, and your graphics may put you to ten frames a second, but check out all the DUDES!" is a pretty nice intro, even if it's not perfect.

They'll do that anyway only now they'll just be frustrated at the same time.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The original Planetside had a VR Training Ground (located at each "capital" for lack of a better word) that would teach you some of the basics. Plus, and this part was real nice, you could use any weapon or spawn any vehicle and try them out. There were also numerous stationary NPCs/Vehicle targets so you could test out how effective each weapon/vehicle was.

Even if they don't add the "basic training" portion of the VR Training Grounds, I do think it would be a good idea to have a place were people can try out all the vehicles/weapons* with ease. Especially when it comes to learning how to fly. Newbie pilots have the lifespan of a carnival goldfish and the 10+min respawn timer on aircraft can make learning a real chore.

*I know you can already try out all the weapons, but its not exactly the same as the VR Training Grounds where you could quickly switch between weapons and classes without restriction.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Is there an out of game summary of what all the icons mean somewhere? I've watched some nice tutorial vids that have helped a lot and I always feel like I have a handle on things, then I get in game and realize, nope, I don't.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    honestly the respawn screen is an important enough part of the game that they might as well just start you looking at it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    "Your dude has just died, don't worry no soldier on Auraxis dies for good. You're currently having your body restructured in a tube of red(insert faction color here) goo. This is what these buttons do, these icons down here are your class selection. When your ass lands, duck!"

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    "Your dude has just died, don't worry no soldier on Auraxis dies for good. You're currently having your body restructured in a tube of red(insert faction color here) goo. This is what these buttons do, these icons down here are your class selection. When your ass lands, duck!"

They should add a little countdown timer to the top of that screen. So when they first load in they think "What? 15 seconds to learn all of this? OH GOD WHAT'S HAPPENING!"

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    every faction should open with a vaguely-dystopian speech explaining why your guy is there and that you're gonna die a bunch of times for no reason, then drop you into a hot zone

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    You know what would make TR awesome?

Replace the VO with Helghan evil Cockney. Have Scholar Visari do our victory speeches
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvM7CJAoYT4

If they charged money for this option I would buy it, on every character.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Or something similar.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In case the situation wasn't clear enough.
    WwrdY.jpg

Axen on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The game client actually let me play for a reasonable amount of time before I crashed. How do I get an invite to the Tunnel Snakes?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The game client actually let me play for a reasonable amount of time before I crashed. How do I get an invite to the Tunnel Snakes?

The OP has a list of people who can inv; also being in our TS3 channel and asking for an inv will help since you'll need to be in there anyway when we run ops.

488W936.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular

Replace the VO with Helghan evil Cockney. Have Scholar Visari do our victory speeches

Ray Winston and or Malcolm McDowell would have been ace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiA1yUUZ0dg

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Bastable wrote: »

Ray Winston and or Malcolm McDowell would have been ace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiA1yUUZ0dg

Dunno, I always felt those two were a poor substitute but that's probably nostalgia considering I had the original Killzone while I was young and the new shiny KZ3 when I knew more about games.

Either way I'd love them to get more overboard on the whole 'oppression for the greater good' dictatorship thing the terran's apparently have going on. I don't feel that much in game really, I feel patriotic because of the Victory is Our Tradition speech and the swelling strings, but it's not quite the same.

If they started taking influences from the Imperium of Man, the Helghan and some more traditional heavy propaganda I'd love it. Heck I feel the whole game could use alot more audio bleeps to the backstory, Vanu bases should be full of the sound of computers whirring, TR should roll out to patriotic anthems and promises of glory while the NC relax to some soft rock and promises of the girl back home. Having said that I almost feel like the empires are 'silent protagonist' kinda set up where them being (to the average player) pretty vague (the tech guys, the dictatorship and 'MERICA) lets players fill in the blanks as desired (and come up with some colourful insults).

• Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    Going to try setting up an Op tonight at 9 pm EST, for anyone interested. See what mischief we can get up to.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    TUNNEL SNAKES ASEMBLE! (now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUIjypkBSvE

Axen on
  • Options
    Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
    Good times tonight, guys. Even though we got pushed out of TI Alloys overall it was a fun night. Thanks for organizing guys.

• Options
    We got a late start but pulled through to have a gud fight. Will try and get some more ops rolling tomorrow night or later this next week.

Best way to get ops going is just to be in TS whenever you can and go with critical mass. And play when others aren't to hone your skills and ride the zerg until we come around.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Yeah was bitch'n, until my internet took a nose dive. :(

• Options
    This game is killing my 6970, 2nd blue screen this month. Time to upgrade to a Nvidia 660Ti for justice and dakka I think.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2012
    I designed a new patch for the 420th Flying Kush.
    420thFlyingKush.png

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bastable wrote: »
    This game is killing my 6970, 2nd blue screen this month. Time to upgrade to a Nvidia 660Ti for justice and dakka I think.

I've been playing on a 660Ti, myself, and it handles the game well. This one, if you're curious. It may be as much a sign of the poor optimization of PS2 as the power of the 660Ti, but my i7 3930k was the bottleneck until I overclocked it by 20%. Which kind of surprised me given that my impression was that the 660Ti was a bit of a compromise between power and price.

Zul the Conqueror on
  • Options
    I've heard that a 660Ti overclocked can sometimes match a 670.
    Also this game seems to place most of the load on two of my cores, so it could run better if they balanced it for more cores.

FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @tehgils You could try unparking your CPU, the info on how that's done is in the main PS2 threads OP.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I've already done that.

FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    So I just played A2A Mosquito for a bit. It was pretty fun, patrolling, shooting at (and occasionally down) enemy fighters, sometimes participating in a Liberator kill.

Downside is there are pretty few actual kill opportunities, at least if I'm playing relatively safely (like not chasing an ESF into the maw of flak surrounding the Crown). People tend to book out as soon as they take significant damage (as do I), and a few cases where I had them dead-to-rights, they seemed to voluntarily crash themselves. In the end I think it was probably a downward drag on my K/D, which doesn't matter so much, but it was also pretty sparse XP-wise, which matters a bit more. It was fun, and felt like I was contributing to the effort by denying the enemy free reign of the skies, but given the slow XP/Cert rate, I don't think I'll do it too often unless I'm supporting a particular objective.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    There any outfits on the server we're friendly with? I tend to play at odd hours and a lot of times there are no Tunnel Snakes around.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Beltaine wrote: »
    There any outfits on the server we're friendly with? I tend to play at odd hours and a lot of times there are no Tunnel Snakes around.

Not really; other organized TR outfits exist but we haven't had cause or chance to find any direct allies among them. There only seem to be a few individuals spread among them rather then the outfits themselves that are competent and they simply push the zerg in one direction or another.

If I were you, I'd either hop in the zerg and ride that wave around the map, or try another server and/or group, PA or no, that's more able to fit your time slot. We'll miss you of course and you can play with us when you can, but you need to think of your own YoLo first.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    As NC on Connery I demand you stop shooting the blue giraffes and only shoot the purple Halo lovers.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

Not really; other organized TR outfits exist but we haven't had cause or chance to find any direct allies among them. There only seem to be a few individuals spread among them rather then the outfits themselves that are competent and they simply push the zerg in one direction or another.

If I were you, I'd either hop in the zerg and ride that wave around the map, or try another server and/or group, PA or no, that's more able to fit your time slot. We'll miss you of course and you can play with us when you can, but you need to think of your own YoLo first.

Nah, I lub you guys too much to leave. :D

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I was going to get a 660, but ars, and anandtech moot that the 660ti is the one to look at if you're on a 2560x1440 screen. So either a overclocked EVGA or gigabyte i think next month.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    As NC on Connery I demand you stop shooting the blue giraffes and only shoot the purple Halo lovers.

As a tunnel snake I demand you chose a colour less like purple in order to not get shot. Maybe a red colour. Also stop attacking me when I'm executing Vanu snipers with my own sniper rifle while NC and TR are assaulting Vanu.