As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a compass. It points north, John. [L O S T]

LarsLars Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Social Entropy++
lost_logo.jpg

My wife had never seen Lost before, so this past weekend we started a watch through. We're up to episode 8 or so already and she's enjoying it so far.

Anyways, it got me in the mood to talk about Lost again, but I can't really talk to her too much about it without spoiling stuff, so here we are.

The series ended over two and a half years ago, but I imagine there will be plenty to talk about.

Covering somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 episodes a sporting an ensemble cast that reached a surprising total of around 35 characters credited as part of the main cast over it's 6 seasons.

Some people love it, some people hate it, some people still don't understand the ending (even Arkham City's Joker comments on it).

It's also apparently a miracle the show even worked, as this article details with excerpts from Alan Sepinwall's book, The Revolution Was Televised, such as the following:
The creation of Lost defies nearly everything we know about how successful television shows — or great ones — are made. The idea for Lost came not from a writer, but a network executive. The first writer on the project got fired. The replacement creative team had a fraction of the usual time to write, cast, and produce a pilot episode. The executive who had championed the show was himself fired before it ever aired. One of the two creators all but quit the moment the pilot was finished. Nearly every creative decision at the start of the show was made under the assumption that it would never succeed. Everyone believed it was too weird, too dense, too unusual to work. And it may have been. But it worked, anyway.

The show definitely had it's ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it (even the ending, unlike apparently a lot of others) and only had a few big unanswered questions at the end.
Such as why Sun didn't go back in time with the others on the return flight.

So remember the Jackfaces:
Carazay4py.jpg

Remember the fan comics (Spoilers).

Remember [insert favorite character(s) here] being awesome?

Remember the Superbowl ad during Season 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzW5qtpddrs

Lars on

We have to back, Kate. [L O S T] 81 votes

2%
tech_hunterPeen 2 votes
2%
Shazkar ShadowstormTheidar 2 votes
4%
Death of RatsBalefuegoGalyArmoroc 4 votes
13%
BarcardiSyphonBluecaptainkGreenNechriahDHSDenadaWednesdayVALVEjunkieButler For Life #1DarkMortainius 11 votes
34%
MulysaSemproniusSnorkRaijin QuickfootNo Great NameDevlin_DragonusDJ EebsNinjaSquirrelCheeksJayKaosRubberACSimBenGrey GhostMr. ButtonsA Dabble Of TheloniusSaraLunaUnbreakableVowDeadfallChomp-ChompTasteticleCheeseliker 28 votes
41%
HunterLarlarPsychoLarry1SeriouslyAbracadanielMaydayRankenphilesponoDrIanMalcolmCentipede DamascusArtreusLagnarDesktop HippieFrankoBeastehCrackedLensAistanLarsHawkstoneThesmileyemo 34 votes

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I loved the hell out of LOST. My best friend and I watched the 5:30am broadcast of the finale that Sky One did, to coincide with the broadcast of the finale in the US.

About a minute into the show the broadcast abruptly ended and was replaced by a test card and we almost had simultaneous heart attacks until it went back to the show ten seconds later. I *still* think some asshole at Sky One was trolling us...

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    guys
    we have to go back

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    the series finale of Lost was a great season finale

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    guys
    we have to go back

We have to back

sig.gif
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yessss, I am rewatching Lost at the moment, just finished season 3.
    People always complain about the first half of S3, but watching on DVD instead of having to wait a week between episodes probably makes it a lot better (I have only watched on DVD and it was fine).

Except for that stupid episode where they killed off the new people who everyone hated, which was in the second half of the season anyway.

Also, Ben is such a superb villain.

broken image link
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    We have to back what

please tell me

Yessss, I am rewatching Lost at the moment, just finished season 3.
    People always complain about the first half of S3, but watching on DVD instead of having to wait a week between episodes probably makes it a lot better (I have only watched on DVD and it was fine).

Except for that stupid episode where they killed off the new people who everyone hated, which was in the second half of the season anyway.

The main problem with the first episodes of season 3 was
    WHOA OTHER VILLAGE AWESOME WHO'S THIS JULIET WOMAN WHAA OKAY HE'S IN SOME KIND OF AQUARIUM AND THEY'RE IN CAGES COOL
    THE OTHER GUYS ARE GOING AFTER THEM FUCK YEAH SAYID IS SO COOL ALSO THAT IS STONE COLD SUN YES
    LOCKE LOST HIS VOICE AND IS GOING ON A CRAZY VISION QUEST YES ALSO I LOVE CHARLIE
    SAWYER HAS A BOMB IN HIS HEwhat that is fucking dumb oh it's not even true thanks for wasting our time but HEY IT'S A SECOND ISLAND COOL WONDER WHAT AMAZING SECRETS THE NEXT EPISODE HOLDS
    WHOA THERE'S THAT SMOKE MONSTER WAIT Eko's dead what the fuck is this bullshit Eko was supposed to be super important
    oh great a Kate episode where we learned she was briefly married to nathan fillion who the fuck cares oh really this is where you're gonna cut it off and make us wait months

I thought the stupid tattoo episode was in those first six but it turns out nope, so that's a comfort.

sig.gif
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3g1ZjTfY28

iwantanswers3.png
    Also yaaaaay, I don't usually get to hang out in TV show threads because I prefer to watch shows all at once, rather than one episode per week with ads during, and also Australian TV schedules lag behind American ones by ridiculous amounts anyway.

broken image link
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    that video brought a smile to my face. what a great show. now that i am on winter break i might watch it all again!

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I feel like I dodged a bullet avoiding this show

especially the last season

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Sigh. One of these days I'll manage to make a post without screwing something up. I wrote the OP in a regular topic creation so I could preview it and check it for errors, then copied it over to a poll creation topic (where you can't preview) to post it. However, I hastily typed out the title and apparently fucked that part up. I can't even fix the part that's attached to the poll.

I was also originally going to link to the Joker talking about the ending, but the only video I could find was a minute and a half long and probably spoiled some stuff from Arkham City so I left it out.

I've been struggling with not spoiling the show for my wife. I really want to tell her that...
    ...out of the 48 people who crash landed with Oceanic 815 (plus the Tailies who she doesn't know about yet), only three of them will ever permanently get off the island.

Not tell her who those three are of course (click next spoiler to refresh your memory), just to give her that information and see how it effects her enjoyment. I decided against it, though.
    Kate, Sawyer, and Claire. Maybe four depending on how you count Aaron.

Walt doesn't count since the DVD has an extra that shows Ben & Hurley taking him back to the island.

Lars on
    I made this ages ago

wehaetogoback.jpg
    lost.jpg

sig.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    lost is second only to homestuck as the ultimate fuck you from the creators to their audience

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Never watched Lost. Was the finale more aggravating than the BSG finale?

Weaver wrote: »

Nope.

The finale was great. People just love playing up the lie that they were dead all along. Also way overstate how many things were not explained. Most (though admittedly, not all) of the things that did not get explicit explanations didn't really need one other than "it's magic". It's the whole midichlorian thing.

sig.gif
    Weaver wrote: »

It was a case of a mystery being revealed, and the secret behind it being far less interesting than the mystery itself.

broken image link
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I love

This show

I spent god knows how many hours pouring over fan discussions and dissections over its six seasons

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I was ok with the finale, but my roommate said it made him retroactively hate the entire series because of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Kate sucks, Expose was great, the only Jackface is :[

mkc.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Lost was a character show. It just seemed like a mystery show.

Some of the character arcs are just downright amazing.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Wish I'd watched this when it was new, if only for Dave's Lost Points.

I liked the ending a whole lot more than the end of BSG.

And really, most of the unexplained things don't really bug me.

The final season did have some annoying/pointless parts, though.
    A lot of the stuff in the temple with it's new group of Others or whatever that they had there weren't really all that necessary.

Also, I'm still amazed at how prevalent the idea that they were dead all along is. A few months ago my dad professed this opinion. I had watched the finale with him back when it originally aired as I always went up to my parents' house to watch Lost since it had started my last year of college.
    I guess it's because of that footage of the plane wreckage that ABC allegedly attached to the end of the finale without the showrunner's knowledge.

edited December 2012
    That said, there were a few instances of this show being completely unfair

One of the most grievous examples came from outside the show proper
    One of the two main writers was on the picket line during the great writers strike of '08. He had a sign that read "Don't you want to know what the island is?"

This of course was never answered.

He used this tease to garner support for his profession and then just didn't follow through.

Kind of a cheap move.

I think this is the only thing that really pissed me off about the show

Tasteticle on

edited December 2012
    Wish I'd watched this when it was new, if only for Dave's Lost Points.

I can honestly say that - especially at times when I thought I didn't want to watch the show any more - they made it all worthwhile.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    I've never seen LOST
    and I never plan to
    go me

edited December 2012
    Hey what do you know, I still have this thing:

http://redundancycom.com/lostpoints/

I can not remember if I stopped documenting the lost points due to my own laziness or the fact that there was a definate period where Lord Dave took a break

Tasteticle on

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    can someone explain Lost

Xehalus wrote: »
    can someone explain Lost

:[

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

One of the two main writers was on the picket line during the great writers strike of '08. He had a sign that read "Don't you want to know what the island is?"

He used this tease to garner support for his profession and then just didn't follow through.

Kind of a cheap move.

It was totally answered

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I did every episode after a certain point.
    I should dig them up before the various hard drives they're spread across all die.
    Lost points will be my great legacy.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    Maybe it's the nerd in me, but
    the idea of two separate timelines that affect each other is a waaaaay better concept than the limbo explanation that we got in the finale.

broken image link
    can someone explain Lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8yGfBsC98

can someone explain Lost

A bunch of people crash into an island...but they agonizingly slowly discover that it's not just a regular island. It's a magic land where plot holes go to die.

iwantanswers3.png
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »

Kind of a cheap move.

It was totally answered

Nah

I mean it was answered in such a way that they gave you just enough to work with

But given how it was being used as a protest piece by one of the main writers I felt that they should have been more forthcoming with it

Lord Dave wrote: »
    I did every episode after a certain point.
    I should dig them up before the various hard drives they're spread across all die.
    Lost points will be my great legacy.

If you find season six, I will put them all up there

Do you guys remember this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGNZ2Fh_W8

Actually you know what now that just reminds me of what was probably the best emotional moment on the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JUuCK3IEtk

I feel like Desmond had the best episodes

Kate had the worst everything