As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who The Strongest Have To Be?

123457»

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'd love to learn a martial art, but school is too much. And I am much too fat.

For now I'm starting to learn SCA style fencing and beating guys with wooden bats.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DUDE, sca is the shit! If I had more ducats you can bet I'd still be doing it.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Jousting is fucking scary.

I know. Like what if you opened your mouth just as the other guys joust-thingie bounced off your shield?

Be some cannibal holocaust shit up in here I tell you what.

Of course @Fire Truck would be the one to awesome this.

Look, buddy, if you want to see me skewered, you'll have to do it yourself.
    :winky:
    Wait I guess you can't do that yourself
    Okay go get a friend. Hurry.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    One of my psych people is a fencer.

"That's pretty rad" I always say.

Swords are cool.

I have a foam sword but no one to hit with it.

EDIT: Also He showed me his fencing lunge (heh heh heh) and man I din't know a dude's legs could do that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    All the BJJ and Muay Thai places in Dublin have fucking god awful websites.

Yeah... that's pretty common.

You really have to go to the gym and check it out. Meet the people, etc.

Research the instructor(s)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Don't forget though, Swords will fucking cut you WIDE OPEN.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    DUDE, sca is the shit! If I had more ducats you can bet I'd still be doing it.

I went to my first practice tonight and its pretty sweet. My lady friend is super into it and as an extension I am as well. I really want to get into the heavy fighting over the fencing though.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I've got a kickarse scar from when I cut myself open with a knife, hoo boy

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I still have my saber from fencing

that was fun times

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I wish my high school had had a fencing team

I don't see myself getting into it at this point, but I would've been all over that back then

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I actually still have the practice Hand and a half and Side sword I used to use. As well as a bunch of stuff I just randomly purchased.

• Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    has anyone here actually trained in Krav Maga at all? is it the end-all be-all of martial arts that it's sometimes made out to be?

I mean, I know the answer to that is no, but what are everyone's thoughts

It's pretty decent as far as pure self defense things go. Especially some of the disarming techniques you practice. Definitely good if you need a crash course in ball hitting and eye gouging, too. Pretty useless if you had any interest in sport fighting and I couldn't see myself doing it for any longer than I did (Maybe 3, 4 months? There was definitely a lot of room for me to improve but pure self defense fighting bores me so I had no interest in going longer than that)

Taking some time off to heal some nagging injuries right now but I've been training Brazillian Jiu Jitsu for about a year and a half, it's the most effective 1-1 unarmed combat system I am aware of, so not great outside of sport focused things but still pretty viable as a self defense thing. It's also a lot of fun, so that's a plus.

SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    From what little reading I've done on the subject, I thought Krav Maga was basically a training method which revolves around "someone is trying to kill you, hurt and disable them as much as possible as quickly as possible before running away as fast as possible."

Hence why it's ugly to look at, and focuses on hitting sensitive areas basically using yourself as a blunt object.

• Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    From what little reading I've done on the subject, I thought Krav Maga was basically a training method which revolves around "someone is trying to kill you, hurt and disable them as much as possible as quickly as possible before running away as fast as possible."

Hence why it's ugly to look at, and focuses on hitting sensitive areas basically using yourself as a blunt object.

Yeah, that's the gist of it. One thing I noticed, at least at the place I was at, was that there didn't seem to be much of a reason to train for a long time. The longest anyone had been there was like a year and a half. Pretty solid thing if you are looking for a crash course in self defense, but I don't think it should be a prolonged training thing. It definitely has its weaknesses too, there were a few basic grappling concepts that got covered but if a decent-to-good grappler gets their hands on you they will have their way with you.

SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Mostly, from what I know, Krav Maga is a very reactionary, practical art. "If the attacker does this, counter thusly and then PUNCH THAT COCK IN THE FUCKING NECK."

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hence the BJJ, and maybe some traditional wrestling thrown in too can't hurt?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I have to be honest here, guys.

Every time I see the acronym BJJ, I immediately think of it as Blow-Job-Jutsu.

I just needed to say that. It's been weighing on my mind for a while now.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Doesn't everyone think that?

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular

It would definitely be disabling if you did it right

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    there is a Krav Maga school/center thing right down the block from my home
    I've always wanted to go
    maybe this year I can finally psych myself into signing up

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    BusterK wrote: »

I just got a glimpse of a universe where two FOX commentators are talking as a UFC fighter sucks off another one inside the octagon, and an on-screen stat for "refractory period" appears as a slowly-recharging bar.

This is a horrible place and I want to leave.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    BusterK wrote: »

I just got a glimpse of a universe where two FOX commentators are talking as a UFC fighter sucks off another one inside the octagon, and an on-screen stat for "refractory period" appears as a slowly-recharging bar.

This is a horrible place and I want to leave.

I...

I'll take your place

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    has anyone here actually trained in Krav Maga at all? is it the end-all be-all of martial arts that it's sometimes made out to be?

I mean, I know the answer to that is no, but what are everyone's thoughts

Here's the sum of my knowledge on Krav Maga:

My experiences with Krav Maga is that there can often be tendency to not practice technique implementation properly. Sometimes you need to hit some pads. Sometimes you need find out what it's like when someone is trying to hit you. This is not always the case in Krav Maga schools. Often the reason is that the particular school is all about the eye pokes, dick ripping, throat punching etc. Those techniques might be effective (and illegal), but you'll never be good at them as techniques practised in an environment with proper feed back. Punching a bag tells you a lot more about your techniques than punching the air.

I'm sure their techniques are fine in general. Most of what I've seen is simple stuff - elbows, knees. I ran into some shitty macho attitude though. I saw a head coach kick a guy full force in dick for wearing a protective cup. Head coach didn't believe his students should wear protective gear. I think that head coach was a lone ass hole though.

If you're goal is to be a tough guy on the street, it's my opinion that you should train some kind of martial art that incorporates full speed sparring often. If it's just to have fun, which is a much better reason to train imho, go check out a class and keep an open mind.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Who needs to be a tough guy on the streets? Will Krav Maga make you a tough guy under the sheets?

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    With all their focus on stuffing fingers into holes, yes.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Who needs to be a tough guy on the streets? Will Krav Maga make you a tough guy under the sheets?

I've already got that part

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    My entourage is full of people who know Krav Maga
    so I am tough guy, street tough guy