As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Becoming an Omeganaut

dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community CartographerGold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in PAX Archive
[deleted]

a.k.a. dya
"Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
dyaballikl on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    It's a random selection process.

They choose 20 people out of everyone who is pre-registered when Pre-Reg ends and then call them up and ask them if they want to be an Omeganaut. If they do, then they are. If they don't, then they pick someone else.

Kinda sucks, but oh well. Here's to next year.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Ok, so I am a way better gamer than anything I saw from the Omeganauts this year.

Congratulations. You must have an enormous dick.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    his title says he does, its written in leet thats how all the huge penis'd people do that.

Grath on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    [deleted]

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Omeganaut is more a fun contest than an actual test of skill.

Fall on
  • QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fall wrote:

Yes, it is more to entertain the crowd then to see who is truly the best. For example, in the Guitar Hero round this year, the difficulty was on Medium. You know why? It was not because they interviewed all of us and asked us what difficulty we would be comfortable with. No, they chose it because if they chose hard or expert, we'd be too busy trying to catch all the notes to be able to put on a good show.

Quethal on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:
    Fall wrote:

Yes, it is more to entertain the crowd then to see who is truly the best. For example, in the Guitar Hero round this year, the difficulty was on Medium. You know why? It was not because they interviewed all of us and asked us what difficulty we would be comfortable with. No, they chose it because if they chose hard or expert, we'd be too busy trying to catch all the notes to be able to put on a good show.

Now I kind of wish I'd paid more attention to the song lists that they scolled by.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Now I kind of wish I'd paid more attention to the song lists that they scolled by.

Yeah, I can't wait for the full list of songs to be public. I got all hooked on Guitar Hero after practicing for the Omegathon, and really want to play the next one. All I remember from it were these songs: Freakout Psychobilly (I think I may have that one wrong), YYZ, War Pigs, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart, and You Really Got Me.

Quethal on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait for the full list of songs to be public. I got all hooked on Guitar Hero after practicing for the Omegathon, and really want to play the next one. All I remember from it were these songs: Freakout Psychobilly (I think I may have that one wrong), YYZ, War Pigs, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart, and You Really Got Me.

Also, Shout at the Devil.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Also, Shout at the Cocks.

Devil made me do it.

Quethal on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    # Nirvana; "Heart-Shaped Box"
    # Primus (original recording); "John the Fisherman"
    # Stone Temple Pilots; "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
    # Anthrax; "Madhouse
    # Motley Crue; "Shout at the Devil"
    # The Police; "Message in a Bottle"
    # The Pretenders; Tattooed Love Boys
    # Spinal Tap; "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight
    # Heart; "Crazy on You"
    # Allman Brothers Band; "Jessica"
    # Lynyrd Skynrd; "Freebird"
    # Avenged Sevenfold; "Beast and the Harlot"
    # Dick Dale; "Misirlou"
    # Lamb of God; "Laid to Rest"
    # Alice in Chains; "Them Bones"
    # Reverend Horton Heat; "Psychobilly Freakout"
    # Black Sabbath; "War Pigs"
    # KISS; "Strutter"
    # Butthole Surfers; "Who Was in My Room Last Night?"
    # Van Halen; "You Really Got Me"
    # Guns N' Roses; "Sweet Child O'Mine
    # The Rolling Stones; "Can You Hear Me Knocking?"
    # Rush; "YYZ"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    anyone know when we can pre-register for next year's pax?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • astrog33kastrog33k Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    What, no Freezepop?

Quethal, I was curious about that, did they interview y'all more extensively before that round? Tycho just probed us briefly when we all first met.

--Andria

astrog33k on
    "My Limit Break involves a moose, the demon Baphomet, and a Kuiper Belt object. It takes four hours and you can't skip any of the cutscenes." --Pintsize, Questionable Content
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    dyaballikl wrote:
    anyone know when we can pre-register for next year's pax?

Sometime in late Jan/early Feb.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    astrog33k wrote:
    What, no Freezepop?

Quethal, I was curious about that, did they interview y'all more extensively before that round? Tycho just probed us briefly when we all first met.

--Andria

Freezepop will probably be on there.

They didn't reveal the 'indy' tracks on the original GH until it was out...so I doubt they'll do it again this time.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited September 2006
    astrog33k wrote:
    What, no Freezepop?

--Andria

We actually all got to sit in a circle and hang out for about a half hour to an hour before the show, waiting for things to start. We talked with Gabe, Tycho, and Travis also a bit, but there wasn't any sort of interviewing (for the camera nor otherwise). I'm not sure what other type of interviewing you may mean. Explain?

Disclaimer: If this post is not actually in English nor in any other semblance of intelligent intelligible thought, I am sorry, I haven't slept in two days.

Quethal on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A bit off-topic, but I missed your elimination, Quethal.

How far did you make it?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    slacktron wrote:
    A bit off-topic, but I missed your elimination, Quethal.

How far did you make it?

I got to round 5 out of 6, so I was in the top 4 of 20. Pretty well, but then in the Mario Kart DS round, I kept getting hit with red shells by the guy behind me (he kept getting triple red shells). At one point, I was hit by four right in a row. I didn't do as well at that round as I had done in practice rounds =P But, I still am quite happy with how I did up until that point.

The most nerve-racking round for me was the 15 minute Quake round. Gabe and Tycho were playing along with the 12 of us, and they are both (especially Gabe) really good.

For the first half or so of the round, I was switching in between first and third place, and then after that I was bouncing around third to fifth place. I needed eighth or better to proceed. However, when the two-minute mark was announced, everyone in the game started going crazy and started to shoot almost randomly it seemed. Caution was thrown out the window like a radiator by a Native American. I go pretty quickly from fourth place down to eighth, and the worst part was I didn't see how many more kills I had than the person below me.

So, for the last two minutes I'm nervously trying to kill as many people as possible, when everyone was just shooting everywhere all at once. I got through it, luckily, and was told later that the buffer I had was four kills, so I wasn't in quite as dire straits as I feared, but that was certainly a nerveracking round nonetheless.

In short, the Guitar Hero round was awesome. Did you get to see that?

Quethal on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:

Sadly, I did not. I had a prior engagement at 7:00 and totally missed the boat.

Fortunately, there's always the DVD.

But making it to the 5th round is outstanding. Way to represent!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    slacktron wrote:
    Quethal wrote:

Sadly, I did not. I had a prior engagement at 7:00 and totally missed the boat.

Fortunately, there's always the DVD.

But making it to the 5th round is outstanding. Way to represent!

Yeah, I bring word of our Eugene skills to all the big playas.

Quethal on
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:
    I'm not sure what other type of interviewing you may mean. Explain?

How'd they know to set it GH2 on Medium? I showed up early for that round too (we were sitting around the water cooler until we got herded backstage for them to set it up behind your backs), and didn't notice anything that looked like Gabe and Tycho probing y'all for how good you were at it.

astrog33k on
    "My Limit Break involves a moose, the demon Baphomet, and a Kuiper Belt object. It takes four hours and you can't skip any of the cutscenes." --Pintsize, Questionable Content
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't particularily agree that you can become an omeganaut multiple times in a row. Again that one guy was the runner-up. Kind of irks me, I don't expect myself to ever get in, but atleast exclude previous entrants for the next year, and give some new bloods a chance.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited September 2006
    astrog33k wrote:
    Quethal wrote:
    I'm not sure what other type of interviewing you may mean. Explain?

How'd they know to set it GH2 on Medium? I showed up early for that round too (we were sitting around the water cooler until we got herded backstage for them to set it up behind your backs), and didn't notice anything that looked like Gabe and Tycho probing y'all for how good you were at it.

They didn't grill us for information at all. They just decided that we would have it on medium. Probably so we wouldn't have a bunch of errors blaring out as we played. They did ask us how confident we were, and one guy said he hadn't played it until the day before, but I do not think that had any bearing on where they would set it.

But that hot Robert Khoo can grill me for information anytime. Did you see him play Guitar Hero? Daaaaamn.

Quethal on
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:
    But that hot Robert Khoo can grill me for information anytime. Did you see him play Guitar Hero? Daaaaamn.

Hee. :) I was watching their progress on the screens more than them. I did watch the two band bassists b/c I play guitar a bit and wanted to see how a real guitarists would do. Frontalot's bassist was clearly used to doing tremolo on a real bass guitar, you could see his fingers wiggling that way (it wasn't just nervousness despite it being his first time). I couldn't figure out if the Mini-Bosses' bassist understood Star Power or just happened to play w/ his guitar nearly vertical and sometimes hit it accidentally.

I did get Khoo to sign my badge some time. He was in front of the Mini-Bosses' booth at the time, and he turned to them with a grin and said "I'm not used to all this attention." :)

astrog33k on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    leaf wrote:
    I don't particularily agree that you can become an omeganaut multiple times in a row. Again that one guy was the runner-up. Kind of irks me, I don't expect myself to ever get in, but atleast exclude previous entrants for the next year, and give some new bloods a chance.

I like that runner-ups get to come back. It's like... you came SOOOO close, here's another stab at it. I would agree that prior winners ought not ever return to the competition.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited September 2006
    astrog33k wrote:
    Quethal wrote:

Hee. :) I was watching their progress on the screens more than them. I did watch the two band bassists b/c I play guitar a bit and wanted to see how a real guitarists would do. Frontalot's bassist was clearly used to doing tremolo on a real bass guitar, you could see his fingers wiggling that way (it wasn't just nervousness despite it being his first time). I couldn't figure out if the Mini-Bosses' bassist understood Star Power or just happened to play w/ his guitar nearly vertical and sometimes hit it accidentally.

I did get Khoo to sign my badge some time. He was in front of the Mini-Bosses' booth at the time, and he turned to them with a grin and said "I'm not used to all this attention." :)
    well, it coulda been like i do. i tend to hold my right hand on the select button while playing, which triggers the star power. i'm thinking of disabling the select and start buttons on mine, they're in such an annoying spot.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited September 2006
    astrog33k wrote:

I didn't really get to see the bassists play, sadly, but I heard it was quite fun to watch. And, yeah, I have heard before that people who actually play guitar have trouble with the game because of how different it is. Quite an amusing, though understandable, situation.

Quethal on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Quethal wrote:
    astrog33k wrote:

I didn't really get to see the bassists play, sadly, but I heard it was quite fun to watch. And, yeah, I have heard before that people who actually play guitar have trouble with the game because of how different it is. Quite an amusing, though understandable, situation.

It's the same way with DDR. You can't nearly any of the principles of dance to DDR aside from rhythm. Dancing and DDR are two completely different activities.

Officer on
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's understandable that people would assume that because they're good at guitar (or even just good at music) they'd be good at Guitar Hero.

Waz on
    edited September 2006
    Karyoke Revolution however, is easier if you know how to sing. Reading music though doesn't help one whit. The way that KR shows notes reminds me of guitar tablature - it visually shows how close notes are to each other the same way that tab does. KR has this wierd thing where the pitches get squished together more near the top and bottom of the range. I need to buy it, now that my boyfriend bought a PS2 - wasn't worth my getting one just for it, but now that he's got it.... :)

astrog33k on
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, that's a game I'd really love to get my hands on. I was planning on buying a PS2 right after PAX (Until then I had only really played Nintendo games), but instead I decided I should pay for school/textbooks. I got raped.

Waz on
  • TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Waz wrote:
    It's understandable that people would assume that because they're good at guitar (or even just good at music) they'd be good at Guitar Hero.

I picked it up alot faster than i thought i would
    i atest that to me being a guitarist

TomExMachina on
  • morosemorose Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I felt good that I was matched up with Kyle in the Guitar Hero round. He'd definitely played it more than I had, so I was cool with getting whooped. :) Helped me focus more on having a good time and enjoying the thousands of people in the crowd. :)

Watching the band bassists play GH2 was a lot of fun. I know the bassist from MC Frontalot (great guy, buy him a drink if you get to another MC Front show) and it was the first time he'd ever touched a Guitar Hero controller. And being a bass player, he complained to me after about that damn "5th orange button". :)

As for the thread topic... yeah, I'm sure there are folks out there who could have destroyed any of us Omeganauts on a given game. I'm just of average skill in most of what we played myself. So I just tried to stay positive and make sure everyone was having as much fun with the event as I was. I think that was the bit that impressed me most this year. Everyone who was competing was cool about it. I could see myself hanging out or gaming with them outside the competition.

Oh, and quick question: Did anyone see who the top 4 were on the Quake 2 round? The scores went by so quickly at the end I didn't get much of a look. Someone told me that I took first which surprised me. Anyway, just curious. :)

morose on
    edited September 2006
    morose wrote:
    So I just tried to stay positive and make sure everyone was having as much fun with the event as I was. I think that was the bit that impressed me most this year. Everyone who was competing was cool about it. I could see myself hanging out or gaming with them outside the competition.

Oh, and quick question: Did anyone see who the top 4 were on the Quake 2 round? The scores went by so quickly at the end I didn't get much of a look. Someone told me that I took first which surprised me. Anyway, just curious. :)

Oh really? Hm, you must've talked to different people than myself. There were definitely a couple who I'm happy to not be associating with anymore. Not all though, and I won't name names. Some of the other Omeganauts seemed cool, but most I just never got a chance to talk with since I washed out so fast. That was a shame. :( Hence my coming to the forums. :-P

As for Q2, I think Gabe was #2 or 3, definitely in the top 5, and Tycho was in the second five, around #7. I didn't catch the others.

astrog33k on
This discussion has been closed.