As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I've come to a point where I could no longer contain my morbid curiosity. I think I've made a huge mistake.

K0PI5.jpg

I don't know whether to call you brave or insane.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I've come to a point where I could no longer contain my morbid curiosity. I think I've made a huge mistake.

K0PI5.jpg

I went down this road a few years back.
    It did not end well.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sonic 06 was one of my first X360 games, a buddy got it me as a console warming present.

Ha ha ha

I managed to stay enthusiastic about it up until the Silver boss fight. Nearly a solid hour of
    IT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDIT

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    My cousin will be visiting for about a week, so I bought it for us to play together. I'm hoping that having someone else there will turn the awfulness into comedy, like watching a bad movie together.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have you seen the LP of it, or will it be a complete surprise?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I haven't watched much gameplay of it. All I really know about it is that it has really bad load times, I once saw a video where someone replaced Sonic's model with a dog, and inter-species smoochin' saves the day.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Today was Day 1 of Sonic 06. We made it to the end of Crisis City before calling it quits. I think playing it with someone definitely makes it more enjoyable, because I was nowhere as miserable as I was playing Sonic and the Secret Rings and the final level of Unleashed. I hope we'll at least be able to finish Sonic's story before he has to leave on Wednesday.

The worst parts were by far the baffling amount of loading screens for side missions, super speed sections, and Crisis City's streetboarding. Silver could have been a nightmare, but we managed to get a hit on him first thing and figured his pattern after being helplessly pounded against the sky twice.

Have there been any attempts to chronicle what happened during the development of this game and why it's the way it is? I'm sure it's an incredibly fascinating story. Unless it's just "They didn't care"... but it feels like it has to be more than that.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    From what I remember reading is it was a Halo 2-esque development where they scrapped the game almost completely at some point late in the development. As a result the final product is a game that was finished in less than a year.

I'm sure TSR can shine a better light on this however.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I thought it was that they needed another year but they were forced to make it for the 15th anniversary

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I thought it was that they needed another year but they were forced to make it for the 15th anniversary

That. Also, a bunch of the team was forked off to make Sonic and the Secret Rings halfway through. Or something horrifying like that.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sonic 06 was one of my first X360 games, a buddy got it me as a console warming present.

Ha ha ha

I managed to stay enthusiastic about it up until the Silver boss fight. Nearly a solid hour of
    IT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDITIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSEIT'SNOUSETHISWILLENDIT

The most annoying part is that he doesn't say it as a taunt to Sonic. It's spoken as if Silver is in peril himself.

• Options
    Best part so far:

'ey.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Day 2: Finished Flame Core, Radical Train, and Wave Ocean Redux (aka "oh crap we only have 4 months of development time left")

Madness was starting to take hold on Radical Train, then the second of the Three Trials (beat enemies with no rings) drained all of our will to play the rest of the day. I can't believe we (barely) made it through the timed Radical Train horsecrap, but can't do that.

I've been having strange urges to go out and buy Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog. Send Help.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Is Shadow the Hedgehog worse than Sonic 2006? I'd not thought about it til now, but I have basically heard -nothing- of Shadow (what little was, of course, negative), but it's not been so overwhelmingly talked of in a negative light as Sonic 2006 has.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've never played '06 but shadow is garbage.

the gameplay feel is trash, level design is not good, the fact that he has guns is messed up, and he says DAMN almost every time he gets hit, and when he falls he says DAMN, NOT HERE!

he also tells Eggman "you're going to hell!"

it's uh

something.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2012
    It's the terrible gameplay of the first two Sonic Adventures, only with literally everything else basically held together with gum and spit.

Also, the game was rushed for the holiday season. Do not think the corporate asshats gave two shits about some anniversary only a tiny fraction of their target audience knew about.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sonic 2006 is horribly broken whereas Shadow is, at best, around mediocre or average.

It's like choosing between death by old age (Shadow) or by having small explosives strapped to different parts of your body, going off at random (2006).

I'll be honest, I didn't hate my time with Shadow, but nor was I especially eager to pick it back up again. 2006, meanwhile, I want to have precisely because it is like some tragic mistake of nature that should not be, but is.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm probably weird, but I didn't hate Sonic Heroes.

It has waaay too much rail grinding and the main theme can be grating, but otherwise I didn't find it that terrible.

Of course, at the time I was also just happy that they had finally brought back the Chaotix, as I had wanted to play their original game for years but never had a 32X (or even saw one).
    Sometime later I finally did get to play the Chaotix game. I remember thinking it wasn't very good. Levels felt empty and box-like and the tether effect didn't seem to get very much use. Bonus stage was good, though.

Lars on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I liked Shadow The Hedgehog plenty at the time. But then I also really dug Goldeneye Rogue Agent. It didn't feel any worse than Sonic Heroes, and it had an... OK... soundtrack - it at least complemented the levels well, and there was some neat musical continuity with all the Eggman battles using this flailing wacky bass line and the SA "e e g g" voice thing. But then a bunch of levels had too fast too distorted guitar that all blended together into one big bleh. But then there were some nice remixes of SA2 music for boss levels set in the Ark;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRA7fwM9n4

I think Shadow had more work put into it than Heroes, honestly. The hate for the tone is totally understandable, but I liked it anyway. ;D

The worst part of it IIRC was some level set in the Ark during a flashback to when Maria died, and the Hero route through the level was to find and heal a bunch of guys in a fucking maze. It was more frustrating than 06.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Let me put it this way: you know how everyone most people complained that the Sonic Adventure games forced you into pointlessly tacked-on gameplay styles, like Tails's mech stages and Big's fishing minigame, and said they wanted 100% Sonic levels? Shadow the Hedgehog got pretty damned close to that ideal. Barring a few stages where your objective is to destroy X object, you can disregard the guns entirely and play it like a Sonic game. The plot is stupid as hell, but gameplay-wise, it's an all-running 3D sonic.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Finished Sonic's story today without much trouble. We don't have enough time to attempt Silver and Shadow's, unfortunately. Considering its notorious reputation, I was pleasantly surprised to have squeezed quite a bit of fun out of the game.

I love whoever came up with the throw-and-teleport gem. It seems like a recipe for death in the action stages, but it's hilarious to play with in the overworld.

We ran out and bought a PS2 copy of shadow for a few bucks but got bored with it on the second level.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Let me put it this way: you know how everyone most people complained that the Sonic Adventure games forced you into pointlessly tacked-on gameplay styles, like Tails's mech stages and Big's fishing minigame, and said they wanted 100% Sonic levels? Shadow the Hedgehog got pretty damned close to that ideal. Barring a few stages where your objective is to destroy X object, you can disregard the guns entirely and play it like a Sonic game. The plot is stupid as hell, but gameplay-wise, it's an all-running 3D sonic.
    No, the Speed stages were also bad, just LESS bad since you didn't have to fight the shitty camera as often.

Unleashed and forward stopped trying to shoehorn Sonic into a platformer and built the gameplay from the ground up to support more or less constant movement with some 2D segments for when they wanted platforming. The result is much better flow and a cross between racing game and platformer.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I just stumbled upon Sonic the Fighter as an Xbox Live Arcade game. I had no idea it was even being ported, and it's only $5.

They even added in the unfinished character (Honey the Cat) as a complete and fully playable one.

• Options
    For the next 48 hours, there's a $30 Sonic Bundle on Steam featuring everything remotely Sonic on the service. Unfortunately, none of the individual games in the bundle are any cheaper than what they were at their weekly sale prices, so it's a crap deal if you already own some of the stuff in it.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    I was watching something recently which got me to wondering: Does anyone know how well Sonic Generations sold?

I'm just thinking that it seems like a huge missed opportunity for SEGA to not release it on the Wii U. Pretty sure Nintendo has a solid Sonic audience, one that didn't get Generations on the Wii. Throw some extra content in there as a bonus and sell it as a special edition, even-- I'd go for that.

Speaking of missed opportunities, it's sad that Sonic 2006 got DLC, Unleashed got DLC, but Generations? The one many of us would probably LOVE to see new content for? Nada, nothing.

Seems like money left on the table, unless the game just didn't sell that well... which would be a tremendous shame.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I've seen this picture posted this past week, is SEGA really doing this?
    tumblr_mhvw47bIs11qbtlzqo1_500.png

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I can't think of anyone I know who played Generations and would not have mortgaged their house for more levels & music DLC. Specifically music. I would have paid more money than I want to admit to have gotten the instrumental versions of the themes to Colors and Unleashed that those games use for their respective final bosses.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Can't lie...if they released Sonic Adventure 3...I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I was watching something recently which got me to wondering: Does anyone know how well Sonic Generations sold?

I'm just thinking that it seems like a huge missed opportunity for SEGA to not release it on the Wii U. Pretty sure Nintendo has a solid Sonic audience, one that didn't get Generations on the Wii. Throw some extra content in there as a bonus and sell it as a special edition, even-- I'd go for that.

Speaking of missed opportunities, it's sad that Sonic 2006 got DLC, Unleashed got DLC, but Generations? The one many of us would probably LOVE to see new content for? Nada, nothing.

Seems like money left on the table, unless the game just didn't sell that well... which would be a tremendous shame.

Not all that great on the PS3 and 360. It seems to have done pretty well on PC, but that's partially thanks to aggressive Steam sales.

Yeah, it's utterly baffling Generations didn't make it on the Wii.

Oh, and there IS DLC for Generations... a pinball table. :?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Is there a source for that image and date other than tumblr? It's setting off my "fake!" radar because all I've seen on the sega blog was "We’ve got some great stuff coming up this year, but we’re not ready to talk about it just yet." Normally if they have a teaser, that's where they'll post it.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not all that great on the PS3 and 360. It seems to have done pretty well on PC, but that's partially thanks to aggressive Steam sales.

Oh, is that available for everyone now? Last I heard, it was a pre-order bonus.

Anyway, it's not too baffling, insofar as the developers said they wanted it to be an HD experience, so it didn't make the Wii.

But now we have the Wii U, and it's not like there aren't previous and special edition releases on it... just seems like the perfect move to make to me.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh, is that available for everyone now? Last I heard, it was a pre-order bonus.

Anyway, it's not too baffling, insofar as the developers said they wanted it to be an HD experience, so it didn't make the Wii.

But now we have the Wii U, and it's not like there aren't previous and special edition releases on it... just seems like the perfect move to make to me.

And while we're at it, where's Sonic 4 Episode 2 for Wii U? I'd love to play that on the gamepad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I would hope that, after Sonic the Hedgehog 4, they learned a lesson in expectations and releasing a numbered sequel a good decade or so later. SA3 would just be silly, and honestly that is a series that wasn't terribly good even when current. Although the artwork was really top notch.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'd love to see a huge influx of downloadable titles on Wii U, even if they're ports-- Pac-Man CE, Galaga Legions, Sonic CD, Final Fight: Double Impact, who knows what all else...

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I will be disappointed in anything that isn't essentially Generations again but with new, original levels. They need to do a Super Mario Galaxy 2 right now.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind Sonic Adventure 3 if they used the Sonic Generations engine.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I would only want SA3 if it had Big the Cat as a playable character. John St. John needs more work, you know.

• Options
    I'd only want a SA3 if it was set up like SA1 (pick your character and play their own storyline and levels) and not SA2 (pick Hero Story or Dark Story and constantly switch characters and playstyles).

Oh, and no treasure hunting stages for Knuckles. Let him bash his way through a Sonic-style stage like S3&K.