As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

1515253545557»

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Been looking at resubbing as well, as the new expansion looks to have a lot of neat features. Logged into my fury and had absolutely no gear on, so it'll be either resub or reroll :)

On a side note, I used to think 50% on the slider was too little, but that was back in the day when you got 100+ AAs around level 10-15 or paid the price later in the dungeon grind.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeah, triple station cash for halloween, and probably a pretty high multiplier for Christmas / Black Friday.
    Shame no one mentioned that when it was actually on, I would've tossed some money at them. :(

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeah, triple station cash for halloween, and probably a pretty high multiplier for Christmas / Black Friday.
    Shame no one mentioned that when it was actually on, I would've tossed some money at them. :(

They sent emails apparently.

On the same fucking day.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    It was a surprise from John Smedley himself. If they had given me notice I would have gotten Freeblood.

I do wish they'd sell the expansion packs via SC. And sell extra bank slots.

• Options
    I hope I don't forget and miss out on the inevitable Christmas SC sale. Come ooooooooon discounts!

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Glal Don't forget that this Friday is triple SC.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This Friday? Oh shit. <3
    edit: Dear ANet. Give us goddamn double/triple gem days.

Glal on
  • Options
    There we go. I may or may not have 6k SC more than before.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    There we go. I may or may not have 6k SC more than before.

Going out on a limb and leaning towards "may"

• Options
    Sadly I missed this and the only reason I'm sad about it is the fact I started playing again. Rerolled though and going to be an illusionist. I'm so man pretty there needs to be two of me I guess?

• Options
    VelashVelash Registered User new member
    Hey.

I used to play this a lot, had a 6x zerk.. very fun for a while, then not so much - the good times were good enough to try it again though. So a couple months ago I looked into their F2P options... aaaand... well, you can't use the rewards for heritage quests, or the loot from the biggest boss kills, or the best craftable gear. Couple that with limited AH use AND a cap at... what? some prohibitively small denomination of plat? Bag/bank slot limits too?

Gross.

Don't wanna sound like the carrot's the only thing I'm in it for, because the proverbial chase is fine too. But sometimes I get hungry, and it'll be hard to justify the intense amount of running necessary for the Jboots quest without any Jboots at the end of it.

And if I wanted to play a game where the party play was the only good thing, I'd play Vanguard. Which has awesome party play, by the way. Wrong thread for that though.

tl;dr: does being F2P still suck all of the time?

• Options
    Didn't they recently raise the money cap for free players? For myself, the only thing that bothered me once I was Silver were the AH caps- it means you can't sell off stuff as you level, which in turn makes you piss poor. Where normal players can easily afford to buy the rare mats they lack to make the rest of their set being F2P means you can only really afford one, maybe two mats at best.
    Bags, not that big a deal, you're limited by bag slots, not bag size, and EQ2 has some hilariously big bags.

Being Bronze is terrible, but being Silver is quite playable, if you don't mind not having much money to splash on the AH.

• Options
    I don't play this game free. It always looked dreadful so I throw them some money every once in awhile, especially after expansions.

A part of me wishes I could just drag everyone over to something free like GW2 but only half of us like it with the other half not so super on it.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    What server are you on Nyht? I've been playing this off and on, thinking about playing for realsies.

• Options
    Antonia Bayle, joined with the guild Tempest. One of the largest Crafting and RP guilds on the server/of any server really.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Why oh why does Sony not want to take my money. I'm all for resubbing EQ2, but...$95 for AoD and Chains and a months sub is just, too steep to get back into an MMO. Why did they not bundle AoD? I don't understand.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Because they really, really don't want anyone to pick up where they left off and try their game. I've dropped $15-20 on old MMO's before just to test the waters again and maybe I stick around for a while longer or I've tossed my money away but it's low enough that it doesn't deeply impact my entertainment budget. But the prices they charge of EQ2 expansions+ a subscription so I can actually use my equipment? Hah. I could buy a brand new AAA game for less than that.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    On the other side, there's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL9f6mDBICA

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I think I need an adult.
    That's good that they get to goof around when doing things they know are ridiculous.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Question:

How important are these:

Spell Tiers Adept Expert Full Access
    Equipment Grades Legendary and Fabled Restricted Legendary and Fabled Restricted Full Access

Looking at the F2P matrix and other limitations don't look too bad, but these two caused a red flag. I am wondering if I play how big of a limitation these will be.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    The skill one is annoying, the Legendary/Fabled one isn't too bad as you're levelling (and there's a loooooot of time to be spent doing that, don't get me wrong), as you'll only get one item here and there, usually nothing major.
    Neither is crippling, but I sure wish the skill one were removed.

Glal on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    The skill one is annoying, the Legendary/Fabled one isn't too bad as you're levelling (and there's a loooooot of time to be spent doing that, don't get me wrong), as you'll only get one item here and there, usually nothing major.

Thanks. Sounds like it could be fun for a while, the leveling phase, but those restrictions might be pretty difficult come end-game, so I'd have to subscribe if I wanted to really appreciate that. Does that sound about correct?

• Options
    Probably? It'd take you months to reach end-game and I've yet to manage it, despite years of playing it on-and-off. This game has so. Much. Content.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    If you "try" you can hit max level with lots of AAs pretty quickly, like, within a month, probably less depending on playtime. I personally find the Legendary/Fabled restriction ridiculous. It's equivelant to being unable to equip Blues/Purples in WoW.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Are you talking as a free player or as a subber? Free players get their experience/AA conversion capped at 50%, which means you need to do parallel tier zones to keep up in levels. That second zone might not take as long, but it's still a fair chunk of content you have to do that subbed players can avoid entirely by just lowering their AA gain. And this is ignoring the experience boosts subbed characters get from having existing characters at cap.

Glal on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

Thanks. Sounds like it could be fun for a while, the leveling phase, but those restrictions might be pretty difficult come end-game, so I'd have to subscribe if I wanted to really appreciate that. Does that sound about correct?

I would say that you would likely be able to get to level 85 (of 95) before the gear restrictions really started making a difference. After 85, pretty much any item you loot or get from a quest is going to cost you 30 cents to use. (you can reduce this by buying Sony funbucks during a sale)

If you're planning to play one higher level character and keep your alts lower level, it's probably viable to play that way. If you have an alt army, subscribing is going to be the way to go.

Oh, and during periods of rapid gear churn, like just after an expansion launch, probably best to pony up for a month until your equipment settles down.

• Options
    Oh neat, on top of temporarily offering a free "boost your character to high levels" service come October 1st, they're also removing item restrictions for non-Gold players. That's fantastic news. <3

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That's fantastic news, item restriction was so very dumb and discouraging.

...I don't suppose there are any mention of plans to remove the skill level limits, eh

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    On the other side, there's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL9f6mDBICA

This needs to be in EQ: Next. No excuses.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Patch is live and servers are up, grab your free 85s!

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Apparently, my account is marked as Gold until the 15th. Anyone else have the same thing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I got the email, too. Too bad I don't even have it installed anymore. I already play too many MMOs as it is, but I may let it download overnight just for the hell of it.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    If anyone does log back on, check out my house in Halas (character name: Iseal). It's the magical manor one not far from the AH. I'm quite proud of how I have it decorated. There's also a portal to my other house, it's not as nice, but I tried some different things with it and it has a full set of crafting devices.

Invisible on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    Im bored tonight and taking a break from GTA Online. I just made my free 85 necro on Antonia Bayle. Come plaayyy with meeee.

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM