As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scotty's Scooolpts

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
Been a while since I was in this thread with some pieces. One from imagination, and one from nature.
Both done on a pieces of wood I found on walks.
Sculpted in Apoxie with wire armatures.
Thanks for looking! :)

The Bannerman
A Samurai standard carrier for his clan, meets an interesting new friend between battles.
561516_549453151735990_227013165_n.jpg

64649_549455708402401_414631218_n.jpg

Octo
(still a work in progress...need to beef up the arms near the head, add the suction cups and fine details)
563834_559053184109320_352327641_n.jpg

(armature for Octo)
73289_553169698031002_1601259064_n.jpg

Scotty on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Glad to see you're still sculpting, dude.

You're the one who got me started on sculpting, you know.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    That octopus is awesome! Really graceful, people pay serious moolah for sculpting like this. Do you plan on painting them?

Also incidentally, I love your bits of wood. Where do you get them, and how do you prepare them?

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I wish I could give a meaningful critique, all I can say is: dag yo' these be bangin'.

• Options
    Hey thanks guys! :)

I'm not sure about painting them, I kinda like the porcelain look, but we'll see. I wouldn't want to ruin a sculpt by messing up the paint.
    I get my wood from anywhere. I go for walks down paths near my home, at the beach, or in the woods and come across them. I dry them out, seal them with a glaze and then create something to place on them.
    Sometimes I get an idea right away, but I can hang onto a piece of wood for months before something clicks.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Super sculpy Pro (the gray one) might be a bit easier to work with.
    I LOVE both of these. MORE!!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Love it! have been following the octopus via your facebook page.

Have you thought about getting into resin kits at all?

Also, re: paint, you could always try to link up with someone who paints kits or minis professionally, if you are not inclined to paint yourself.

• Options
    NZ, yeah I've used Super Sculpey grey on a lot of pieces, I just find that apoxie is more sturdy once hardened. (especially for thin pieces like the end of the octo arms) Wait 'til you see what I have in mond for my next piece, gonna be pretty different, but I'm going to be using more mixed media. :)

TS, sure have, I did one kit but I ended up just breaking even on it in the finance department. :(
    It was a lesson learned. I've been really getting into just doing one-off pieces, and if a company wants to produce something I sell it to them. (been working for me so far)
    If I were to get into molding and casting things myself it'd be more economical, but you need the cash to get started there too. Ah, what do you do right?
    As long as I'm creating and selling I'm happy. :)

I just sold a piece I sculpted in castilene wax to a company in the UK, sold it to them outright for 'x' amount of dollars plus I get 2 copies for myself. So I do get my stuff out there, but it's finding the right hands to let them go into, know what I mean?

Also...thanks for the responses guys/gals!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Ah, yeah, I do my own molds.
    (I teach mold making, so it'd be more weird if I didn't)

Kits are challenging-- really you need to have a number of pieces in rotation to keep the interest up.
    And they do have a base cost of production that can be prohibitive.

I was just curious because I know laypeople tend to view painted work as "more finished", but frankly if you are making sales and not getting stuck with shitty contracts, that's the part that matters most.

• Options
    True, true, but I'm always looking on the horizon for better methods to spread my designs and keep creating. Thanks for the input. :^:

• Options
    It's sculpting the suction cups that gets my eyes knackered. :P

521371_564022133612425_1177342359_n.jpg

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    first off, thanks for posting this stuff.
    second, thanks for going on walks. i think it is important to share that step in the creative process.

and thirdly, not only was in loving the work you showed us, but the photography was well thought out and i appreciate that.
    your detail of the octo arms could be a wallpaper. i hope its your wallpaper.

• Options
    Thank YOU for the stellar response! :)

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The first one with the samurai and his new friend is super fantastic! The amount of detail is really something!

How did you go about making the suction cups? Those must be very small!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I'd like to hear how you did the suction cups too. Looks bloody amazing.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    NEATO!

• Options
    Thanks all! :)

Each suction cup is done individually.
    A small ball of apoxie, flattened out a bit with one of my tools, and then hollowed out with another.
    Takes time, but worth it in the end.

• Options
    JumpingAbbotJumpingAbbot Registered User regular
    Wow, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.
    Out of curiosity, what does the Bannerman's flag say?

Rrgh I really need to get back to sculpting soon.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Those are awesome! The unpainted color is really lovely for the octopus against the wood.

• Options
    Thanks guys.

The flag says 'peace' or at least as close as I could write it out, and YES, get back to sculpting! What is wrong with you!? :)

Yeah, I like the white too. I think for this one, I will leave it white, and just sand it as smooth as possible, give it that porcelain look.
    I've been wanting to get into painting my pieces this year, try learning it, we'll see. There's nothing worse than doing a sculpt, being pleased with it, and then ruing it by painting it badly.

Updated photos soon! Almost done.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Perhaps you could practice painting on your sculpting material, as little balls or simple shapes that you don't invest any time in, just to get the hang of how you want to use the paint without endangering one of your lovely pieces? It would probably help you get the hang of it so then when you do want to paint your pieces you can be more confident of how it will turn out.

• Options
    That's a good idea! Might even be fine with doing simple washes...we'll see.

• Options
    On Sculpey, I find stripping the surface with nail polish remover and following up with light washes of watered down acrylic tends to be the best way to get natural looking color. You can also use that technique on epoxy putty, too, I think.

• Options
    Thanks TS! I'd like to try various techniques to achieve my own look if I can, I'll try that. :)

• Options
    ChippsChipps Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Woaaaah! I took a sculpture class back in community college, I grew an appreciation not just because it's a fascinating realm of art but because of how utterly incapable I am at it. You have impressed me good sir!

Chipps on
  • Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    Intricate and clean as always mate, you've a very steady pair of hands for sure.

• Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    I really love the octopus.. can't wait to see it done. The white of the octopus against the rich wood is incredible. I've been wanting to get into sculpture, this is definitely inspiring me!

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    Thanks all! Means loads to me. :)
    Finally done, at least for now...I sometimes come back to pieces and add to them, as they say...no piece is ever complete, only abandoned.

603076_576379059043399_1614876639_n.jpg

150635_576378982376740_1334031932_n.jpg

72277_576366652377973_2103412512_n.jpg