As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mattres Toppers - Adding support?

BobbleBobble Registered User regular
My parents have the softest mattress in the world and it's exacerbating my mother's back problems. A new mattress isn't really an option, so she's considering a foam mattress topper as something that might actually help a bit with support so she isn't sinking into the bed every night. Has anyone had any luck with using some kind of mattress topper for firmness? Any recommendations? Might just try the foam one at Costco. Even though it's meant to be soft, it's almost certainly more firm than what they've got now.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Is this an issue of having a soft mattress, or is the mattress breaking down. Is there welling or body impressioning going on on her side? If this is the case, then most mattress toppers are going to fall right into the well and your mom will see little to any benefit.

Another question, Is the mattress on a foundation or a box spring? If its a box spring, as in there are actually springs in there not just an upholstered wooden box. You may be able to add firmness by adding a sheet of plywood between the mattress and the box spring.

However, this is a short term solution, and won't really help with the support as it is just subtracting the box spring from the equation.

Hopefully a new mattress could become a reality in the not too distant future, as that is likely to be her only lasting solution.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    There's really no way to firm up a mattress, especially a sprung one, which is why I've heard it's a good policy to buy firmer than you prefer and get a topper to make up the difference.

I updated my bed to a $400 memory foam mattress from Overstock and it's been SOOOO much better for my back and overall sleeping pleasure, and looking back it really was a steal as just a decent topper can cost upwards of $100. How old is their current mattress?

I'm not a doctor nor physical therapist, but you may want to see if sleeping on a firmer bed will help her before you spend any money. Does anyone in the family have a futon or camping pad? Yoga mat? Something she could sleep on for a few days to see if a firmer mattress would actually work towards helping her back?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
This discussion has been closed.