As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our [chat] Is Up

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    [img][/img]
    KEB wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I have had a lot of wine in the last couple hours.

Time to make bad decisions!

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So we went to this new BBQ restaurant tonight and it was wowed and I didn't know what to do...

So the place is nice looking, looks kind of like an "authentic" sawdust in the floor joint, but with an indoor multilevel herb garden and stone tables.

The problem is, you order the food like in a Jewish deli.

Since you had to order the beer and the food at opposite ends of the long bar, my wife handled food while I got a jug of beer and two mason jars. She didn't have her wallet so came over to get on of my credit cards, but when she handed it back she said "it came to $40, there was a line for gratuity, I put an extra $2 in"

I felt nauseous and mortified, because I had absolutely no idea what you tip a hipster meat carver, having just found out that that was an actual thing. I tipped $4 on the $27 jug, But food seems different. I feel like a tit for not paying am extra 20%.

Has anyone whose been to this sort of joint explain the tipping etiquette to me?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

You verbose ladies man you

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And Breen ship get.

eh? model or something?

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    And Breen ship get.

eh? model or something?

STO winter event.

gotcha

• KEBKEB Registered User regular
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'm cold and sick. I need Aaron cuddles.

Deebaser wrote: »
    So we went to this new BBQ restaurant tonight and it was wowed and I didn't know what to do...

So the place is nice looking, looks kind of like an "authentic" sawdust in the floor joint, but with an indoor multilevel herb garden and stone tables.

Since you had to order the beer and the food at opposite ends of the long bar, my wife handled food while I got a jug of beer and two mason jars. She didn't have her wallet so came over to get on of my credit cards, but when she handed it back she said "it came to $40, there was a line for gratuity, I put an extra $2 in"

I felt nauseous and mortified, because I had absolutely no idea what you tip a hipster meat carver, having just found out that that was an actual thing. I tipped $4 on the $27 jug, But food seems different. I feel like a tit for not paying am extra 20%.

Has anyone whose been to this sort of joint explain the tipping etiquette to me?

Just wait a couple months before heading back. ;)

Hipsters can't hold down a job very long, right?

[img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

Sorry you had to find out this way chu

I'm a... Just going to exit stage audio5000

Night [chat]ters&[chat]ettes.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    in openoffice calc i can [highlight all pertinent data] data>sort>(sort by column X)(ascending/descending), which ought to reorder [all pertinent data] by the numerical valuation in column X without causing too many problems (minus formula functionality, but whatever)

one of my friends who is a whiz at excel said i couldn't reorder a column numerically in calc that also reorders the attendant data, which seemed really off since it's a pretty basic thing to do, right?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    20% tip? I have to be impressed from beggining to end to give that much!

They're is only 2 places I was so impressed with than I gave such tips willingly.

1) The asian place right next to my ex-bar
    2) A steakhouse in Niagara Falls, Ontario

On the other hand of the scale, I can count of one hand the number of times I was so disgusted than I left ZERO tip.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I'm preparing for participating in a Chinese wedding and oh my god everything is argh

cultural cargo cults cargo cults everywhere

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    If people are still looking for something to buy from the Steam sale, seriously buy the Darksiders franchise pack RIGHT NOW.

Darksiders I and II plus all DLC for $13 is like stealing.

vRyue2p.png
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

i have grievously misread this situation

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »

I have no idea how a Jewish deli serves food, but my personal rule is to tip when food is brought to you, and not to tip if you have to go up and get it yourself

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Thomamelas
    And Breen ship get.

fuck yes! congrats!

rRwz9.gif
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

I'm sorry my east coast friend, but unless you pay for my flight and seriously impress me in the next 24 hours, it will not be your d I'll be enjoying tomorrow :P

Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas
    And Breen ship get.

fuck yes! congrats!

And suddenly the vanilla double-quote bug makes sense. The outer one is meant to be a notification.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I'm preparing for participating in a Chinese wedding and oh my god everything is argh

cultural cargo cults cargo cults everywhere

chinese culture has a unstated injunction to not take it too seriously nor ignore it completely, to be sure

aRkpc.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    achewood_say_anything.gif

steam_sig.png
    i mean, are you sure this is the type of thing where you're expected to tip the food guy at all? despite my poorness i am a pretty generous tipper... but it would never even occur for me to tip the guy there. i'd think you would tip something with an open kitchen type deal, maybe hibachi or something. but i don't tip, for example, a guy who slices some meat off a spit for shawarma.

i dunno. i've never been to a restaurant like you described. but there are very few scenarios where it seems socially appropriate to tip the guy making your food.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Going back to God of War I from Darksiders II was possibly a mistake.

GoW is a little dated. It's still fun, it just feels kind of sloppy.

vRyue2p.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hey STO'ers, got another question:

I hit level 5 (rank, whatever), and I'm feelin' pretty good about combat and everything, but for rank 5 it says I should be getting a free bridge officer, but I don't see anywhere to get one? Not sure if I'm just misreading something or if I'm supposed to go somewhere special for the reward.

Also, how the heck do you join the PA channel? I tried /join channel but that just made it think I was trying to join with Mr. Channel

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Wow. Hannukah was December 8 - 16. That's like, kind of horribly unfair to Jewish kids who can't enjoy a family holiday because all universities let out the week before Christmas.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

I'm sorry my east coast friend, but unless you pay for my flight and seriously impress me in the next 24 hours, it will not be your d I'll be enjoying tomorrow :P

i live on the moon

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Choco, that sounds like a sensible rule. I was just totally thrown off, because I thought the place was a proper restaurant, but it was more of a gourmet beer garden I guess

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wow. Hannukah was December 8 - 16. That's like, kind of horribly unfair to Jewish kids who can't enjoy a family holiday because all universities let out the week before Christmas.

Depends on the school

York U is apparently great for holidays because they schedule off major Christian and Jewish holidays, since they have a very sizable Jewish population, or so I hear

And like pretty much anywhere around here they're mindful of other major holidays for other faiths and are accomodating in that regard as well

Rear Admiral Choco on
    [img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

i live on the moon

*drops panties*

my school finished finals on the 15th. so i basically had one day to enjoy hannukah, and it was a sunday i'd have off anyway. :P

Kana wrote: »

I hit level 5 (rank, whatever), and I'm feelin' pretty good about combat and everything, but for rank 5 it says I should be getting a free bridge officer, but I don't see anywhere to get one? Not sure if I'm just misreading something or if I'm supposed to go somewhere special for the reward.

Also, how the heck do you join the PA channel? I tried /join channel but that just made it think I was trying to join with Mr. Channel

I think the command is
    /channel_join
    or
    /join_channel

[img][/img]

d

tomorrow

nod, nod

N-

Not

Not HIS d!

i live on the moon

*drops panties*

works every time

Aw shit, this game sounds fuckin' rad

Now I know what to do when not everyone can make it for Dark Heresy

Fiasco

hmmm

what to do this weekend

poopsock and play darksiders???

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2012
    Kana wrote: »

Press J to open your mission log and look at In Progress and there should be a completed mission entry for New Bridge Officer or something similar, and you hail in that mission and collect its reward.

according to Mortious, the command is /channel_join "Penny Arcade"

apologies for omitting the underscore, I joined the channel a couple years ago :P

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif

What's really weird is that there are a ton of super high-pop jewish schools (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, GW, Yeshiva, Tulane ... pretty much any expensive private liberal arts school) that all acknowledge their hebrew presence (all of these colleges have hillels bigger than waka flocka's weenie) and yet they follow the exact same schedule as predominantly christian schools

something something power dynamics society foucault

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

Depends on the school

York U is apparently great for holidays because they schedule off major Christian and Jewish holidays, since they have a very sizable Jewish population, or so I hear

And like pretty much anywhere around here they're mindful of other major holidays for other faiths and are accomodating in that regard as well

That's good. I know a few Jewish students at my school, but Dec 8-16 was the week before finals for us. For most colleges, it was finals week. Just seems unfair, I mean, if they told their professors they had to go home for Hannukah and needed the week off, the profs would have to be accommodating, but it would be HELLA difficult to make up an important week like that before the end of the semester.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    hmmm

what to do this weekend

poopsock and play darksiders???

there are worse plans. you've earned a few days of poopsocking.

(nb: figuratively, of course. no one actually earns the right to poop in a sock unless they're a POW or something).

rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2012
    Also University of Florida (hahaha, of course it's UF) has the highest jewish pop for public schools and their finals were right over hanukkah. I suspect that was unavoidable though because starting the semester in the middle of the worst bit of florida summer would be awful

Eddy on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Fucj

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.