As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Playtest of Chaos (Game Thread)

1246711

Posts

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    HAAASTUUUuuuuuurrrrrrrr..........

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    "Varlet!"

    Clarice hurries after the fleeing kobold.

    "Cowardly speckled varlet!" A beam, yellow-sun bright, momentarily connects the cleric's mace with the fleeing kobold and it collapses, stone dead.


    Move to J15 (one square left is my first move to avoid an OA, and then diagonal)
    Lance of Faith vs K4: 1d20+6 20 Hit. It dies.

    @RiemannLives to make his saving throw.

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    1d20+2=3

    Archibald II bleeds profusely for 1d6=3 damage

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I was skipped! Not that is mattered since I wiffed...Longsword versus kobold neck.: 1d20+6 7

    Kelmon looks on in horror as Archibald goes down in a heap.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Well, seeing as it's Xi after Archibald, to say that we have a rather angry-looking monk on our hands is an understatement.

    leaving his spear on the ground Xi rushes forwards a full (using step of the wind 1d4=4) 50 ft up to H19, draws his handaxe mid stride and hurls it at the kobold retreating to the cave entrance.

    "LADY CLARICE, LEND AID TO THE MAGUS AS I BRING THE SPEAR OF JUSTICE ON THESE WRETCHED WYRMS! COBRA SPITS AT MONGOOSE!"

    attacking Kobold 4 via thrown handaxe with disadvantage due to range d20+6= 7/13... and disadvantage doesn't even matter since the first of two rolls is a pure nat 1 whiff.

    "DO THE GODS THEMSELVES WISH TO SEE ME FAIL AND MY COMPANIONS DIE? COME AT ME LITTLE ONES! LET US SETTLE THIS LIKE MEN! BRING YOUR TALONS TO BARE!"

    Xi puts up his deuces.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Round 3

    g2-enc01-round3.jpg

    Xi Rhox - HP 7/7 - AC 17
    Status: Normal.
    Herman - HP 8/8 - AC 15
    Status: Normal.
    Kobold 2 - HP 2/2 - AC 11
    Status: Normal.
    Kobold 5 - HP 2/2 - AC 11
    Status: Normal.
    Kelmon - HP 12/12 - AC 17
    Status: Normal.
    Clarice - HP 10/10 - AC 15
    Status: Normal.
    Archibald II - HP -5/8 - AC 12
    Status: Mage Armor (+2 AC). Dying (0/3).

    Up Next: @Der Waffle Mous

    Denada on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    "Yeah! Run away!"

    Since a move action doesn't quite get me close enough to anything, Herman shall move up to archibald's side and get ready to "help."

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The kobolds, frightened and outnumbered, decide to flee back into their cave. One of them makes it inside and disappears into the darkness, while the other disengages from Kelmon and starts his way over, shouting something in his language as he runs.

    K2 moves then Hustles his way into the cave.

    K5 Disengages then moves toward the cave.

    The kobolds are speaking draconic, by the way. Let me know if your character speaks draconic and if you care about what they're saying.

    g2-enc01-round3b.jpg

    Xi Rhox - HP 7/7 - AC 17
    Status: Normal.
    Herman - HP 8/8 - AC 15
    Status: Normal.
    Kobold 5 - HP 2/2 - AC 11
    Status: Normal.
    Kelmon - HP 12/12 - AC 17
    Status: Normal.
    Clarice - HP 10/10 - AC 15
    Status: Normal.
    Archibald II - HP -5/8 - AC 12
    Status: Mage Armor (+2 AC). Dying (0/3).

    Up Next: @Nealneal

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Kelmon sheathes his longsword and draws his orcish hand axe as he moves towards the fleeing kobold. Once drawn, the hand axe is flung into the back of the kobold's skull with a sickening smack.


    Move up to I16, sheathing the longsword and drawing the hand axe as he moves.

    Hand Axe vs. Kobold Skull: 1d20+6 12 1d4+3 5- Dead Kobold!

    Nealneal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    With the last kobold, or at least the last kobold in the current vicinity, dead, you're left alone outside of the cave. Crows are already beginning to gather in the trees outside, waiting for you to leave so that they can begin their work. You notice that it isn't just the kobolds being eyed by the crows; Archibald is almost finished dying as well.

    This encounter is over. Everyone gains 18 XP. Archibald will need to continue to make death saves until someone stabilizes and/or heals him.

    Denada on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon will move over to Archibald pulling out his healing kit. He applies a bandage and some elven salve to the humans injuries. Once that's done he will walk over to the kobold he killed with the hand axe and retrieves it.

    "Want to stamp out the burning ones and see if these vermin have anything of worth?"


    Healing Kit Uses- 9/10 Remaining
    Recovered Hand Axe

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    According to the rules, Archibald is now Stabilized but still Unconscious. In the absence of magical healing, he will regain 1 HP after 2d6 hours.

  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Clarice begins the process of slowly healing Archibald back to health. Chanting her mantra under her breath, repeated applications of Cure Minor Wounds begin to restore colour to the fallen mage's face.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    nodding to Kelmon, Xi lawfully stomps the burning corpses until the fire is out then retrieve my handaxe by the cave mouth before returning to the elven knight.

    "ACCURSED WHELPS! THEY THROW STONES ON SIGHT YET SHY FROM COMBAT WHEN CHALLENGED! HAVE THEY NO CONCEPT OF VALOR? OF HONOR? SHOULD WE LET THIS SLIGHT GO UNPUNISHED?"

    Xi is obviously distraught as the actions by the kobolds go against all he was raised to believe.

    "HOW DOES THE MAGE FARE?"

    oxybe on
    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    A BELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF TIME LATER

    In a remote region of this remote region, the five of you have come to a hidden cavern. It would be more accurate to say that it was a hidden cavern, because until recently no one could find it. Indeed, the nearby logging camp made many expeditions into this region, where the bare stumps surrounding the cavern serve as silent testament to their presence. Yet every last logger swears by all the gods that he can remember that the cavern was never there.

    Then, suddenly, the cavern appeared, as though the tomb within was finally ready to be seen by the world. And so here you are, standing before a large slab of stone. This dark-grey block of granite is the entrance to the tomb. Steel insets in the stone block spell out three words: "Errukiz," "Ezdrubal," and "Elomcwe."

  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    "Oh bugger me, words. Never was any good with words."

    Ibilid looks pensive, or at least as pensive as possible when wearing a poorly fitting leather mask to cover your entire head and wrapped in a cloak such that you resemble a rather poor attempt at an overly tall Scarecrow. Kneeling down, he casts an eye across the ground and surrounding bushes. Maybe someone who wasn't blind like the loggers apparently were had come past recently.


    Checking for prints and things.
    Spot Check (Wisdom?): 1d20+5 → [19,5] = (24)

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    "ACCURSED STONE, YOU WILL NOT HINDER OUR RIGHTEOUS DECENT INTO YOUR DEPTHS! I SHALL REMOVE THEE AND WE THEN WILL LAWFULLY PLUNDER YOU OF ALL YOUR VALUABLES!"

    Xi cares not for written words he cannot immediately understand (which is anything not common). i'll try to move the stone (Strength check: 1d20+3 = 19 ) and if it doesn't budge, then Xi will yell "PICK SHATTERS STONE!" dropping his pack, quickly grabbing his mining pick and unless anyone stops him will immediately begin taking large and powerful swings at the granite slab.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "Xi! Stop...don't shatter that like you did in Altramain's lair. Remember how long it took to dig out all of the stone pieces from your face? Let me look at it first this time."

    Kelmon walks to the stone and looks deeply into the magical fabric of the universe.

    Cast Read Magic

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Ibilid: You don't see any footprints or other signs of anyone coming near the door, other than your own of course.

    Xi Rhox: Your pick glances off the stone, not even leaving a scratch. Whatever this is, it's certainly no ordinary granite.

    Kelmon: The words on the door are not magical, nor do any other magical inscriptions appear.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Herman, with his mastery of languages, stares at the signs for a few moments.

    And then shrugs because he can only specifically decipher spoken languages for some reason.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it didn't move with my strength check?

    Xi is stumped and mildly frustrated.

    "ACCURSED SLAB, WHY WILL YOU NOT OPEN YOUR BELLY FOR THE VALOUROUS?"

    alright, this time it's personal. Xi decides to bring out "Da Big Guns". putting the pick away for now, Xi will fumble about his backpack until he locates his target: a crowbar that's hanging from the side of his pack, next to his sledge and spade.

    looking at the slab, Xi will try to find an edge where he will put the crowbar and try to wrest the slab out of place.

    "I WILL GET IN THEE, MYSTERIOUS CAVERN, BY THE SACRED BURNINATION I WILL!"

    If that still does nothing, Xi will probably put the crowbar away in his ridiculously stuffed backpack, sit down on his Portable Rogue (yes, it can even act as a bench!) and literally fume for a bit, what with him being a phoenix monk and all, glaring at the slab.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Not exactly sure why Xi is so angered at the Slab, Rein Jhar attempts to do what he does best. Hide up a tree and keep watch over the party. Unfortunately, the trees nearby are rather slick, the lower branches gone for some reason. Luckily his elven eyes and ears are as sharp as ever.

    Climb check for the tree if you want it. Listen and or Spot of your choice for keeping watch.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    in the interests of moving things along...

    int check!: 1d20+2 5


    "I don't get it."

    Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Sure, why not. Int check, 3.

    Rhein sits up his tree, picking his nose with a rather blank expression on his face.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    After what feels like days Xi comes to a conclusion (Int check as per Denada 1d20-1=19):

    so what does Xi realize?

    oxybe on
    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Xi Rhox: After spending some time getting up in this door's face, you notice that some of the letters are slightly different from the others. It appears that the letters E-L-O-M-C-W-E can be depressed into the door, like buttons.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Xi gets up and once more gets in that slab's grill. staring at the letters he mashes a combination to spell "W E L C O M E"

    "THIS IS SILLY. WHY WOULD ONE WELCOME ANOTHER INTO A TOMB WITH SUCH A RIDICULOUS PUZZLE? WHO BUILDS THESE?"

    oxybe on
    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    "Wizards, that's who. Always wanting to prove their intellectual superiority. Just because they can read."

    Ibilid tapers off into muttering under his breath. Literacy had always been a sore point.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular


    The granite block slides into the earth, accompanied by a multitude of wailing voices. Shortly after the five of you step in, the door slides closed behind you, leaving you in a large chamber lit by a strange blueish light that doesn't seem to have any discernible source.

    This lofty chamber has been sculpted from swirling dark-green marble. A row of four black pillars crosses the room, and behind them are two long pools filled with clear water. At the far end of the room, a smaller pool sits in front of a massive black iron bell suspended between two upright columns. Wailing voices echo through a passageway in the north wall.

    The door behind you bears a symbol, which looks like this:

    mst_symbol01.jpg

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    "WHA... DID THE MAGE TRULY GIVE US A FANFARE FOR OPENING HIS DOOR? IS HE BEING CONDEN-" at this point the slab shuts behind him "AH. A FANFARE FOR OUR DOOM... QUAINT."

    Still frustrated, the moaning and wailing not helping to appease his foul mood, Xi cups his hands around his mouth and manages to yell even louder then normal down the hallway:

    "QUIET WITH YOUR MOANING! WE KNOW YOU'RE DOWN THERE! GIVE US THE OPPORTUNITY TO SET OUR BEARINGS AND PLOT OUR COURSE AND WE WILL INVESTIGATE YOU IN DUE TIME!"

    looking at his companions:

    "DO YOU THINK THIS IS ANOTHER INANE TRAP OR RIDDLE, OR SHOULD WE GO CHECK THE WAILS TO SHUT THEM UP?"

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Shhhh...quiet for a moment if you would. If you could refrain from alerting the entire dungeon to our presence, the Rogue may be able to scout ahead." Rein rolls his eyes, knowing that his admonitions have never changed Xi's mind before. Fully expecting a rush of enemies, Rein trains his ears and eyes on the passageway.

    Listen=29, Spot=25

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Herman will slink off ahead, keeping an eye out for things.

    sneak!: 1d20+5+1d10 14
    Spot!: 1d20+1 14

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon is interested in the symbol and the bell. First he'll examine the symbol trying to riddle out it's meaning and purpose. Then he'll move over to the bell.

    Move to the symbol.

    Cast Read Magic.

    Intelligence Check: 1d20+2 15

    Move to the bell.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Rein: The nearly constant wailing is easy to hear, and you can tell it's coming from a chamber at the end of the passageway. Looking in that direction, you see that the walls of the chamber are covered with eyes of countless shapes, sizes, and descriptions. You don't see any creatures or doors in the chamber. Just walls of eyes.

    Herman: As you slink around the large room, you notice that the long pools are filled with bones.

    Kelmon: The symbol does not appear to be magical, but you notice as you look around that each of the pillars has a symbol on it as well. In order from north to south, the four symbols are:

    mst_symbol01.jpgmst_symbol02.jpgmst_symbol03.jpgmst_symbol04.jpg

    These symbols also appear to lack any kind of magical enchantment.

    Moving on to the bell, you see that it is a real bell and would probably ring loudly if you struck it.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    "Safe to say, some people died in here"

    "By which I mean its not safe. At all."

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    "PEOPLE KEEP THINGS LOCKED BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT OTHERS GOING IN." Xi obviously states "EITHER BECAUSE IT CONTAINS SOMETHING OF VALUE OR IT'S DANGEROUS. OR BOTH."

    Xi ponders for a bit

    "ALL WE'VE DISCOVERED IS THAT THIS PLACE IS AT THE VERY LEAST THE LATTER, BUT WE HAD TO HAVE EXPECTED AS MUCH."

    Xi begins walking towards the corridor, Fingers the Portable Rogue in tow.

    "NOW, SITTING HERE WILL DO US NO GOOD. WE ARE CURRENTLY STUCK HERE SO LET US SEE EXACTLY HOW DANGEROUS IT IS. MOUSE ACTIVATES TRAP, GYEAH!"

    At the start of the corridor, Xi grabs tightly to the Portable Rogue's safety line and with one swift kick (Str check 1d20+3=19) sends the 25lb log barreling down the hallway as far as his kick will let it go or the end of the 50ft rope, whichever comes first.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The passageway is 12 feet high, 10 feet wide, and is made of tightly fitted, white stone blocks that appear to be bonded together with some kind of metal. The chamber at the other end of the passageway is of similar construction. Your device jerks to a halt at the end of the rope, roughly ten feet shy of the chamber, then just sits there, as logs often do.

    Denada on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Well, that is one way to test that. Although the trigger you wished to trip may require live flesh in proximity." Rein steps back a bit, making it quite clear he is NOT going first.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Xi reels the portable rogue back in.

    "IF THIS ACTIVATES BY PROXIMITY, THEN WE CAN'T GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO DISABLE IT. IF WE CAN'T DISABLE IT, WE GO AROUND IT. IF WE CAN'T GO AROUND IT, THEN WE GO THROUGH IT ONE STEP AT A TIME."

    Xi will not be deterred and it's pretty obvious he wants to start exploring this thing

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    In an attempt to quiet Xi down, Kelmon raps the bell with the pomel of his sword.

Sign In or Register to comment.